PDA

View Full Version : Early spring training question

A. Cavatica
01-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Is there anything to do in Tucson before games start? Are workouts open to the public, or are there other opportunities to see the players and get autographs? I'll be there in late February.

Chicken Dinner
01-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Bring a cooler and some lawn chairs, a small table for some snacks, a mit and a ball to throw around, and tailgate.

Dolly
01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
I read somewhere that the players will be available for autographs before the game on the outfield side of the dugout. Don't remember where I read that though....

chidavid18
01-25-2006, 02:43 PM
the is a fence to the left of tep park. You can get alot of the white sox to sign there if they are palying that day. Good luck. the best time is right after the games. bye

maurice
01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't think he's asking about the hours before the games start.
I think he's asking about the days before the games start (before 3/1).

Notice the reference to "late February," a time when the players will be training, but when there will be no games.

michned
01-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Is there anything to do in Tucson before games start? Are workouts open to the public, or are there other opportunities to see the players and get autographs? I'll be there in late February.
The auxiliary fields are directly west of the stadium, accessible by a small parking lot off Ajo Way. I'm not sure how close they'll let you get to the practice fields though. Years ago when the Indians trained here, you could literally stand right behind the backstop of one of their practice fields.

I do recall seeing that parking lot off Ajo very full in past Februarys so that might be a positive sign.

gr8mexico
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I was wondering the samething can we get autograph during the time the sox report to spring training until the 1st spring training game. I'm planning to go before spring training games start.

cwsfannick
01-25-2006, 08:20 PM
An early round of golf and then a sox game. Sounds like a great day.

A. Cavatica
01-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think he's asking about the hours before the games start.
I think he's asking about the days before the games start (before 3/1).

Notice the reference to "late February," a time when the players will be training, but when there will be no games.

Thanks Maurice, that's what I meant.

DenverSock
01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks Maurice, that's what I meant.

You could always check out Tombstone for a day, I've always meant to do it.

MarySwiss
01-26-2006, 09:37 AM
(Sigh!) I don't know why I talk to you guys sometimes. :wink:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3060

A. Cavatica
01-26-2006, 11:39 AM
MarySwiss, thanks for the great link, but I know what the tourist attractions are -- I'm specifically interested in what Sox-related activities are available after players report but before games start. I don't even know if there's a good gift shop at TEP.

MarySwiss
01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
MarySwiss, thanks for the great link, but I know what the tourist attractions are -- I'm specifically interested in what Sox-related activities are available after players report but before games start. I don't even know if there's a good gift shop at TEP.

There's a gift shop, but IIRC, last time I was there, it was split between Sox and D'Backs stuff, and they were out of a lot of the Sox stuff. I'm hoping it will be different this year, given the World Championship, but I'm not holding my breath. I still can't get over the fact that places like the Sports Authority here are not carrying any Sox stuff. After all, the Sox DO train in Arizona and there are a hell of a lot of former Chicagoans living here.

Suggestion: You might call TEP and ask for their advice. The staff folks there are pretty friendly.

Sox35th
01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
I have lawn seats for the Sox/Cubs game......what can you bring into the lawn sec? (Cooler/lawn chairs) ???

Also, what would be a good bar to hit for St.Pat's day/night?

Thanks

MarySwiss
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I have lawn seats for the Sox/Cubs game......what can you bring into the lawn sec? (Cooler/lawn chairs) ???

Also, what would be a good bar to hit for St.Pat's day/night?

Thanks

Can't help on the bar question, but if you've never been to Arizona before, please be aware that the sun can be really brutal, especially if you're hungover. I also have tickets for that game, so I plan to (reluctantly) curtail my St. Pat's celebrating.

No coolers; foam cushions are okay but no stadium seats or metal frame chairs. Check out the Web site for TEP; it has a list of permitted items.

maurice
01-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I still can't get over the fact that places like the Sports Authority here are not carrying any Sox stuff. After all, the Sox DO train in Arizona and there are a hell of a lot of former Chicagoans living here.

Last year, we went to a Sox / D'backs game that was technically a D'backs home game. The following exchange occurred . . .
D'backs Fan: "I wonder why there are so many of you White Sox fans here."
maurice: "The Sox share this facility with the D'backs."
D'backs Fan: [glazed expression]
maurice: "Both teams train here."
maurice: [walks away to buy noodles]

MarySwiss
01-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Last year, we went to a Sox / D'backs game that was technically a D'backs home game. The following exchange occurred . . .
D'backs Fan: "I wonder why there are so many of you White Sox fans here."
maurice: "The Sox share this facility with the D'backs."
maurice: "Both teams train here."
maurice: [walks away to buy noodles]

Well, I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that so many people who live in Arizona originally are from somewhere else. There are no doubt many D'Backs fans who understand baseball--I be one!--but sadly, the biggest thing in Arizona is the UA/ASU rivalry. This despite the D'Backs WS vctory over the hated Yankees in 2001. Go figure!

This weirdness extends to NFL football (if you could call it that). At any Cards game, you'll see a significant presence from the opposing team.

There's something to be said for long-term suffering. Makes you appreciate the ultimate victory even more!

maurice
01-27-2006, 10:43 AM
At any Cards game, you'll see a significant presence from the opposing team.

We'll gladly take them back if you don't want them.
:gulp:

MarySwiss
01-27-2006, 10:49 AM
We'll gladly take them back if you don't want them.
:gulp:

I think I mentioned this once before in another thread, but when they were trying to figure out where to build the new Cardinals stadium, someone wrote a letter to the Republic suggesting San Antonio.