PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome

crazyozzie02
01-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I have a question for all of you. What is your feeling when you think of Jim Thome wearing the S-O-X across his chest this season. Personally i get all warm and fuzzy. I have been wanting this guy in a sox jersey ever since i could remember. I even went out and bought a $129 jersey of his a week after he signed. Just wanted to get an overall fell about this though.

Colin

(Sorry if there was already a thread about this, but i dont remember one.

rdwj
01-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Warm and fuzzy for sure!

I'll admit that his health worries me a little, but a WHOLE lot less than Frank!

nlentz88
01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
When I think of Thome in a Sox uni I feel worried. I worry about whether or not he'll be healthy and productive.

I hope my fears are never realized. Thome brings a ton of potential to the lineup. But for some reason I just can't help but worry about him.

Sad
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
concerned... I hope he is indeed healthy...

MarySwiss
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm noncommittal. I got warm and fuzzy when David Wells joined the Sox (well, as warm and fuzzy as is possible there) and again when Richie Sexson joined the D'Backs. I'm perfectly willing to get warm and fuzzy again, but I'm putting it on hold for now. :cool:

soxinem1
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Cautiously optimistic....

soxfanatlanta
01-24-2006, 03:55 PM
concerned... I hope he is indeed healthy...

+1

If he is healthy, then he could have a great year with all those runners on base. And if Thome delivers, imagine the damage Konerko can do when pitchers have to pitch to him.

But IMO, it's a big IF.

sox1970
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Other--Hopeful. I'm worried about the back.

swanson24
01-24-2006, 04:01 PM
It will be weird the first couple of times I see him in a White Sox uniform because I just have that image of him crushing us so often as a member of the Indians. I never hated Thome but I always cringed when he cam up to the plate against us. I can't wait to see him crush the ball playing for us. I've got to believe that the first time the Sox play the Tribe in Cleveland will be very weird for Jim and the Indians fans. Who knows he might even hear some boos as he smacks a home run against the tribe.

01-24-2006, 04:04 PM

well said. me too

SOXintheBURGH
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Confident in a minumum 30/85.

delben91
01-24-2006, 05:44 PM
A monster year if his back holds up.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
All warm and fuzzy. I just think back to watching him with the Phillies in 2004 when they played the Sox and get chills down my spine. He hit some monster shots in that series. Can't wait to see him hit in 81 games(regular season!) this year at the Cell. I think most Sox fans can agree with me that when Thome was up to bat in the past vs the Sox, you just knew that he was most likely going to hit a bomb. I'd consider myself an optimistic type fan and even I felt that way most of the time.

bigfoot
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Warm, not fuzzy(saving that for the stuff in the back of the fridge). The same type of feeling when Greg "The Bull" Luzinski once stomped to the plate and cracked "roof shots". Ahhhhhhh! I guess that is a little fuzzy, after all.

Hangar18
01-25-2006, 02:54 PM

Same Here.

sullythered
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM

Exacatigly.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Warm, not fuzzy(saving that for the stuff in the back of the fridge). The same type of feeling when Greg "The Bull" Luzinski once stomped to the plate and cracked "roof shots". Ahhhhhhh! I guess that is a little fuzzy, after all.
Didn't Ol' Thunder Thighs also come our way from Philadelphia? Maybe lightning can strike twice!

ps: Your "roof shot" comment got me thinking. How hard would someone have to hit a ball for it to land on the fan deck or (*gulp*) the FUNdamentals section? How many feet would that equal? I know Thomas and Borchard have hit balls onto the concourse, and I believe either McGwire or Canseco hit one off of a billboard in left field.

WSox8404
01-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Didn't Ol' Thunder Thighs also come our way from Philadelphia? Maybe lightning can strike twice!

ps: Your "roof shot" comment got me thinking. How hard would someone have to hit a ball for it to land on the fan deck or (*gulp*) the FUNdamentals section? How many feet would that equal? I know Thomas and Borchard have hit balls onto the concourse, and I believe either McGwire or Canseco hit one off of a billboard in left field.

To hit one onto the fundamentals deck the shot would have to be around 550 or so. Borchards was around 510 I believe and that was just past the top row. Where he hit is is the same area as the fun deck is on the opposite side. So you figure you have to add the feet you would have to hit it higher to get it on the deck. I would say its around 30 to 40 feet higher then the concourse. So around 550.

soxinem1
01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I hope the guy does well, but now that Frank is in Oakland I'd hate to see the line by line comparisons during the season, that would be unfair to us fans and both players. Like how they did to Maris when he was getting close to the Babe's HR record. I hope they both club the **** out of the ball, but if there are any......

Thomas .321 14HR 54RBI 56R 61BB 55K
Thome .287 17HR 49RBI 46R 74BB 89K

type of comparisons by fans, sportswriters, sportscasters, cubune columnists, I will scream!!!

chisoxmike
01-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Fearless prediction:

Jim Thome hits a home run in his first at bat in a White Sox uniform.

Why not?:bandance:

mmmmmbeeer
01-26-2006, 07:58 AM
I think Thome got a wake up call last season when his body wouldn't cooperate. He's already made comments this weekend that he has trained harder this offseason than any other before. He's definitely getting up there in years but getting himself back into great shape will have a positive effect on his back. I see a very nice season and definitely get the warm and fuzzies.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I think to myself, "Manny and Big Papi is a good righty, lefty duo. Manny is a tool. Thome and Konerko will be better."