PDA

View Full Version : Eric Wedge on last week of Indians' season

WhiteSoxFan84
01-24-2006, 01:01 AM
"I don't necessarily look at it as a lost week," he said. "Tampa played us tough all year. And in the final series against Chicago, well, they had just won (the division), and that took the pressure off them. What happened is that we tried to do a little too much."

"I really felt like Tampa stuck it to us from a starting-pitching standpoint," said Wedge, crediting the Devil Rays' rotation. "They were a different club in the second half of the season. And it wasn't just us."

The Indians' problems with the White Sox had more to do with the Indians' execution of fundamentals than the quality of the White Sox starting pitchers, who dominated the American League.

That last part kind of makes me a little.... upset? The last 10 words I love. But, the rest of the paragraph gives me the impression that the Indians feel like they lost the last 3 games because of themselves and not because we played good baseball (or at least not because of the fact that we pitched very well).

Linky (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13694701.htm)

Chisox003
01-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh well

Who cares, we swept them out of their own city twice, once with minor league players (and when THEY had everything on the line).

**** off Wedge, we wiped the floor with your team and you know it.

ATXBMX
01-24-2006, 01:37 AM
14-5 vs. Indians. What a great season! Keep reminding us Cleveland... :D:

Banix12
01-24-2006, 01:55 AM
That last part kind of makes me a little.... upset? The last 10 words I love. But, the rest of the paragraph gives me the impression that the Indians feel like they lost the last 3 games because of themselves and not because we played good baseball (or at least not because of the fact that we pitched very well).

Linky (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13694701.htm)

I think the Indians do have to take a good share of the responsibility for themselves for their poor play. They were pressing, swinging for the fences too much went 7-56 with runners in scoring position over the stretch beginning with the KC game. Sox were playing the B-squad most of that weekend and the starting pitchers didn't stay in the games too long. It was mostly a tune-up for guys who hadn't pitched much like Hernandez, Marte and Viz. They had ample opprotunity and squandered it. I think before just about every game in that stretch starting with the KC game you could say they were the better team on paper and they played like garbage.

And I don't mind them blaming the losses on themselves, let them beat themselves up over it. I think that is a good thing.

dcb56
01-24-2006, 02:01 AM
I think the Indians do have to take a good share of the responsibility for themselves for their poor play. They were pressing, swinging for the fences too much went 7-56 with runners in scoring position over the stretch beginning with the KC game. Sox were playing the B-squad most of that weekend and the starting pitchers didn't stay in the games too long. It was mostly a tune-up for guys who hadn't pitched much like Hernandez, Marte and Viz. They had ample opprotunity and squandered it. I think before just about every game in that stretch starting with the KC game you could say they were the better team on paper and they played like garbage.

And I don't mind them blaming the losses on themselves, let them beat themselves up over it. I think that is a good thing.

Bingo. They also have no one but themselves to blame for pissing the first 2.5 months of the season away by playing mediocre ball.

EastCoastSoxFan
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Two of my favorite days of the '05 season were Friday and Saturday right after the All-Star break -- i.e., games 2 & 3 of that series in Cleveland that we SWEPT and that I had the good fortune to attend.
The most hilarious part was listening to the Cleveland sports radio guys as I was driving out of town. They were ripping the Indians, ripping Wedge, saying he was too much of a company man and (in so many words) not enough like Ozzie, basically ripping the Indians for being in every way not enough like the Sox.
And at the end of the season those analyses were confirmed...

1951Campbell
01-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Oh well

Who cares, we swept them out of their own city twice, once with minor league players (and when THEY had everything on the line).

**** off Wedge, we wiped the floor with your team and you know it.

No doubt. I tell my Indians fan buddy all the time that the Tribe "lost to Charlotte with the season on the line!" :D:

oeo
01-24-2006, 09:54 AM

During their hot play it seemed they were only hitting homeruns (Hafner was absolutely crushing the ball). They tried to win like the Sox tried to win the three years before, swinging for the homerun. Once that cooled off, they couldn't score the runs anymore. They played WAY over their heads for a long time, they were bound to cool off eventually, whether it was the last week, or the first round of the playoffs.

34 Inch Stick
01-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Didn't the Sox say the exact same thing about the Twins between 2001 and 2004?

SoxSpeed22
01-24-2006, 12:37 PM
No doubt. I tell my Indians fan buddy all the time that the Tribe "lost to Charlotte with the season on the line!" :D::jon:burlyhttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_435221.jpg
"Like hell they did! Except the lineup the first day."

Tekijawa
01-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Do we still get to keep the trophy???

Good, then Wedge can say what ever he wants. I remember what it was like to root for a team that had the longest championship drought in the American League, let them drowned their sorrows any way they can... because they'll be doing the same next year when our pitching doesn't overpower them and they just can get it done fundamentally!

MadetoOrta
01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Do we still get to keep the trophy???

That really says it all. That gave me a good laugh for the day. :smile:

Iwritecode
01-24-2006, 02:01 PM

I agree. I was shocked that the Sox swept them. I figured Cleveland would take at least one if not two of the games and then battle it out with Boston depending on what they did.

I remember being out camping that weekend. I just sat in my trailer playing cards with my family while the TV was playing in the background. I checked the score periodically and just laughed.

soxinem1
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Ah, the old game of what if.....

That's why there are 162 games in a season. Even without the season ending sweep, the Tribe lost most of their games against the Sox in 2005.

But it was their slow as molasses start that did them in. If that lineup would have just did half of what they are capable of, well, who knows how things might have panned out.

But I still cannot believe they think replacing Riske with Mota is an improvement, especially when their bullpen has been already weakened a little. Wedge should be more concerned with that than a season that is done, and has no relevance to his team.

Trav
01-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Bob Feller was seen handing out pictures of himself bunting saying "Show this to the manager". Ouch! They played poor fundamental baseball all year. Most of the starting players had good stats and will continue to put up good stats but they are way to streaky. Just like the Sox a few years ago. Here is hoping they don't figure it out.

Tragg
01-24-2006, 05:34 PM
One thing the post-season taught us, Eric, is that the Sox need those low-pressure situations in order to win.

Dork.

1951Campbell
01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Bob Feller was seen handing out pictures of himself bunting saying "Show this to the manager". Ouch!

Cold as ice, I love it!

D. TODD
01-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Linky (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13694701.htm) Every team that loses seems to think that they lost it, not that they were beaten by the superior team. If the game/race was close they tend to feel that they were better but blew it. The other team was good but lucky, or got the breaks/calls. Fans are the worst at this. I still chuckle at those type comments after last years N.C.A.A. hoops national title game, and the playoff run by the Sox. Take it with a grain of salt, nobody likes to admit that their team was beaten by a better team when they are that close to being a champion.

RedPinStripes
01-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Wonder what his denial answer will be when the Sox kick their ass AGAIN this year? Best Rotation in baseball ..........When will they undeerstand?:bandance:

Chisox003
01-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Didn't the Sox say the exact same thing about the Twins between 2001 and 2004?
Did the Twins move on to go 11-1 in the playoffs, completing a wire to wire first place season? Hardly.

The difference is the ring. I think that's good enough.

mccoydp
01-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I guess all of this isn't unexpected...more whining from the Jndjans.

It will be fun to hear the same thing after they finish second again this year.

cheeses_h_rice
01-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Reading this thread makes me feel real good about having to sit through the two games against the Jndjans on 9/19 (Sox lost 7-5 after fighting back from 4-0 to take a 5-4 lead) and 9/21 (Sox got destroyed 8-0; Travis Hafner hit 2 moon shots).