PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Sign Wade Miller

Tekijawa
01-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Don't know if it's been posted yet, probably has... but I couldn't find it!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060123cubsmiller,1,3404735.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

DaleJRFan
01-23-2006, 05:40 PM
If he can stay healthy once he fully recovers from his offseason surgery, this could be a good signing for the scrubbies. I didn't take the time to read the article, but hopefully they only gave him 1 or 2 million + loads of insentives...

NardiWasHere
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I guess thats not a bad little project.... but I'd worry about keeping their 1-5 healthy for a nice stretch of time before taking on the risk of Miller.

Best case scenario in my opinion: this might turn out "Dempster-esque" for them.

The Dude
01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Very good move for the Cubs considering the shaky rotation. Miller gives them more stability. I'm very surprised Hendry made the move!

Tekijawa
01-23-2006, 05:46 PM
They now have 3 starting pitchers that should combined to start 20 games this year!

SOXintheBURGH
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
He can anchor the all-DL rotation. :tongue:

Mickster
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
If he can stay healthy once he fully recovers from his offseason surgery, this could be a good signing for the scrubbies. I didn't take the time to read the article, but hopefully they only gave him 1 or 2 million + loads of insentives...

I hope they signed him to a $15M guaranteed contract. :D:

Dan Mega
01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
When will the "Best Rotation Ever" Cubune headlines come out?

Wait, should that be teal?

WSox597
01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Maybe he'll give Kerry Woods a run for his money in simulated games?

broker3d
01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I don't say this often, but that is a good signing and a good risk for the Cubs. Now, I wish they don't win another game.

buehrle4cy05
01-23-2006, 09:00 PM
It would be a good signing if they had 4 other dependable, non-injury-prone starters. He's good, but the last thing the Cubs need is for Wood, Prior, AND Miller to be injured during the season.

NardiWasHere
01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
It would be a good signing if they had 4 other dependable, non-injury-prone starters. He's good, but the last thing the Cubs need is for Wood, Prior, AND Miller to be injured during the season.

I highly doubt Hendry is expecting Miller to be healthy... Anything the team gets from him will be just an extra bonus. This is sort of a "pre-world series" KW type move. They get a starter for pretty much nothing. If he contributes, great. If he doesn't, what does the team lose? His health situation is totally independent of Wood and Prior.

SOecks
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
So, what do you think the odds are of Wood pitching more simulated victories than a Miller/Prior combination in 2006? Seriously though I'd like this move a lot more for a healthy staffed team who could nurture him and not rush him back from injury. However, with the Cubs you know someone's going to go down and there will be a ton of pressure to bring him up because "They're only 6 games out" in August.

Hangar18
01-24-2006, 10:08 AM
This is a good KW-esque move, and we shouldve taken the chance on him.
He will become healthy and productive once he comes off the DL.

mjharrison72
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
"Where's he gonna play?"

DaleJRFan
01-24-2006, 10:47 AM

You're right, it is a KW-esk move. The glaring exception is that KW traded for Vazquez, adding a 6TH top of the rotation guy, instead of signing a guy coming off of a career-threatening injury to enter the rotation well into the season. :redneck :redneck

It's good to be a Sox fan...

brewcrew/chisox
01-24-2006, 08:00 PM
:?:
I really don't see how people here can see this as a good move for the Cubs. They are essentially paying Miller $1 million dollars to rehab his shoulder. Shoulder surgery can take a very long time to recover from. I know the Cubs are hoping for May, but I'll eat my hat if that actually happens.

If I were i Cub fan, I'd be less than enthused.

(Thank God I'm not)

ChiSoxLifer
01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
:?:
I really don't see how people here can see this as a good move for the Cubs. They are essentially paying Miller $1 million dollars to rehab his shoulder. Shoulder surgery can take a very long time to recover from. I know the Cubs are hoping for May, but I'll eat my hat if that actually happens.

If I were i Cub fan, I'd be less than enthused.

(Thank God I'm not)

Why not? They're already paying Wood $10 million to do the same thing. What's an extra mil for the deep-pocketed cubs?

Scottiehaswheels
01-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't know why those idiots just didn't go after Weaver..

SoxSpeed22
01-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't know why those idiots just didn't go after Weaver..:borass:
Pretty self explanitory.

cubhater
01-25-2006, 08:24 AM

Miller+Wood+Prior=one helluva pitcher