PDA

View Full Version : FOX may lose MLB contract

Fenway
01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
one can only hope

Is Major League Baseball on the verge of ending its decade-long relationship with Fox Sports?

The winds seem to be blowing in that direction. A divorce could be on the horizon, leaving Fox with the NFL, NASCAR and the Bowl Championship Series as its primary sports packages. This would also put the futures of Fox's No. 1 baseball broadcast team - Joe Buck and Tim McCarver - very much up in the air.

http://www.nydailynews.com/11-05-2002/sports/col/braissman/story/384776p-326532c.html

DaleJRFan
01-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Fox's No. 1 baseball broadcast team

Will the newspapers and news websites PLEASE start using TEAL!!!!

1951Campbell
01-23-2006, 02:56 PM
As long as MLB's still on free TV, I say good riddance.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 02:59 PM
please please let baseball go home

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/TV/rca-tk44(nbcs1).jpg

voodoochile
01-23-2006, 03:00 PM
If MNF is now material for ESPN, then MLB Saturday and weeknight games definitely are.

Wonder if Fox will try to use their side channels F/X, FSN to retain the rights. Can't see any of the big three going for it.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Can't see any of the big three going for it.

from the linked article

A baseball source said NBC has expressed an interest in the package. It is likely Peacock suits have their eyes set on MLB's postseason inventory. That makes sense. NBC's prime-time ratings are down. What better way to add some ratings consistency - and a promotional platform for entertainment programming - than picking up the World Series?

JohnBasedowYoda
01-23-2006, 03:05 PM

where do you find such a random shot.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 03:30 PM
As long as MLB's still on free TV, I say good riddance.

I like NBC over Fox but Fox over ABC / ESPN. League Championship series (and most divisional playoff games) must be aired on network TV. This isn't the NHL. This isn't the NBA. This is MLB. When you take your playoff games off the air you hurt your standing as a sport. The NFL would never air playoff games on cable (unless they were short sighted).

StockdaleForVeep
01-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Regardless to what people say, Fox announcing is hella better than espn\jeff brantley and Co.

http://micmann.brinkster.net/images/natsopen/26.jpg
"Ozzie guillen is a stupid stupid manager, he brings in his lights out closer in a non save situation!?!? That is how bad baseball teams work, i can see the whitesox wont be goin far this season with such a bad manager"

Fenway
01-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Regardless to what people say, Fox announcing is hella better than espn\jeff brantley and Co.

McCarver is the best

things he has said on the air

1993 World Series, Phillies vs. Blue Jays: "Watch Darren Daulton use his mitt like a glove."

Refering to Shawn Chacon: "He wears his hat like a left hander!"

"There is a world of difference between a count of one ball and two strikes is a lot different situation than hitting with two strikes and one ball."

"You see Colon talking into his glove because David Ortiz, from the Dominican Republic, can obviously read lips in Spanish."

"Half of the Yankees' regulars this year have not been regulars."

It's better to have a fast runner on base than a slow one

"The reason we call that pitch up and in is because the arms are attached to the shoulder."

Roy Oswalt is a drop and drive pitcher. What is a drop and drive pitcher? He is a guy who drops and drives. Very simple

"In the time it's taken to play this game you could have flown from Baltimore to Iceland."

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/images/needone.jpg

Kogs35
01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
its prob going to nbc. fox is loosing too much money and they are dropping coverage of the alds and nlds. nbc has saturday afternoons open and can have nd football work around the baseball coverage. fox is going after the big10 football contract.

LuvSox
01-23-2006, 04:27 PM

As long as Costas isn't involved.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Baseball belongs on NBC. Also, I hope MLB does not allow the LCS to move on ESPN and the World Series to ABC.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 04:36 PM
its prob going to nbc. fox is loosing too much money and they are dropping coverage of the alds and nlds. nbc has saturday afternoons open and can have nd football work around the baseball coverage. fox is going after the big10 football contract.

Starting in 2007, NBC will have a lot of PGA Tour in the fall. This would be same time MLB pennant races are taking place. Meanwhile, it seems that ABC has been losing several sports properties despite its acquisition of NASCAR from NBC. But ABC has lost primetime NFL, its portion of the PGA Tour, and the NHL to NBC. They've also lost the BCS to Fox.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Starting in 2007, NBC will have a lot of PGA Tour in the fall. This would be same time MLB pennant races are taking place. Meanwhile, it seems that ABC has been losing several sports properties despite its acquisition of NASCAR from NBC. But ABC has lost primetime NFL, its portion of the PGA Tour, and the NHL to NBC. They've also lost the BCS to Fox.

ABC Sports doesn't really exist anymore. The entire operation is now run by ESPN out of Bristol.

Kogs35
01-23-2006, 04:42 PM

abc is stepping out of any sports business that does not make money for them. and nbc and mlb could get creative for when the pga is on nbc. abc is not taking baseball and no lcs is moving to cable.

MarySwiss
01-23-2006, 05:15 PM
What are the chances of somebody who--oh, I don't know, has a clue--starting a whole new sports channel? They could maybe hire people who know what the hell they're talking about--give them a test or something--and broadcast games in prime time featuring teams who are good, but who don't necessarily play on the East Coast. And since this would be a cable channel, maybe they could broadcast the games without commercial interruption. (IIRC, that was one of cable TV's major selling points--once upon a time.)

Come to think of it, maybe "once upon a time" is as good way as any to end this mini-rant of mine.

paciorek1983
01-23-2006, 05:33 PM

As much as you might dislike Costas, you know he will be involved. He is a pretty big baseball fan. With or without Costas, I'd love to see baseball back on NBC where it never should have left. When NBC lost basebal and CBS took over, baseball broadcasting really seemed to take a nosedive. At least Fox did a better job, but I'd welcome the change.

bigfoot
01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
And....NBC isn't going to pay Costas the $$$$$$ just to yap at the Olympics and substitute for Olbermann. Oh yeah that little horse racing thing he does......something about looking a jockey right in the eye!

Railsplitter
01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I's take Costas over Buck any day of the week

ABC has two fairly decent announcers who have baseball play-by-play experience: Al Micheals and Keith Jackson.

Whover gest MLB, put a game on every Staurday of the season!

soxfanatlanta
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
McCarver is the best

1993 World Series, Phillies vs. Blue Jays: "Watch Darren Daulton use his mitt like a glove."

"There is a world of difference between a count of one ball and two strikes is a lot different situation than hitting with two strikes and one ball."

"You see Colon talking into his glove because David Ortiz, from the Dominican Republic, can obviously read lips in Spanish."

"The reason we call that pitch up and in is because the arms are attached to the shoulder."

Roy Oswalt is a drop and drive pitcher. What is a drop and drive pitcher? He is a guy who drops and drives. Very simple

"In the time it's taken to play this game you could have flown from Baltimore to Iceland."

Make it stop, I'll listen to Costas, JUST MAKE IT STOP!!!

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 08:12 PM
ABC has two fairly decent announcers who have baseball play-by-play experience: Al Micheals and Keith Jackson.

Al Michaels is a pompous arse, and Keith Jackson has lost his fastball so to speak.

LuvSox
01-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Sure, Costas is better than Buck. The thing about Costas, everything is historical, everything reminds him of growing up with the Yankees. Somehow all roads lead to Mickey Mantle. It just gets old.

Hitmen77
01-23-2006, 09:40 PM

I'm not looking forward to Costas either. I can only imagine his anti-Sox blither:

:costas
"the White Sox winning the World Series is bad for baseball. When premier teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Cardinals aren't in the fall classic, the entire sport suffers."

Brian26
01-23-2006, 09:43 PM

I actually always thought Costas was decent. To me, growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, the two premier teams will always be Scully/Garagiola and Costas/Kubek.

Huisj
01-23-2006, 09:56 PM
I actually always thought Costas was decent. To me, growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, the two premier teams will always be Scully/Garagiola and Costas/Kubek..

When NBC actually had the world series a number of years ago, I thought Costas was ok except that he seemed to have saved up way too many poetic lines and historical facts over the course of the season, and he had to get them all out at once since he only had 5 or 6 games to use them in. I felt like if he had a chance to to games on a regular basis, he might not seem so overly dramatic.

Banix12
01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
abc is stepping out of any sports business that does not make money for them. and nbc and mlb could get creative for when the pga is on nbc. abc is not taking baseball and no lcs is moving to cable.

ABC didn't dump sports programming because it was losing money. Since disney owns both ESPN and ABC they figured they could make more money as a whole by placing sports programming on ESPN and alternative dramatic programming on ABC. Basically Disney wanted to stop competing with itself for sports ratings.

Take Monday Night Football for example. On monday nights ABC got pretty good ratings with MNF but ESPN was in the toilet because all the sports fans were watching ABC. Under the new setup ESPN should get good ratings on Monday night and ABC should get decent enough ratings to make up the difference, depending on what programming they put in the old timeslot.

TomParrish79
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM
I like Costas and Buck....

I remember back when NBC last had the post-season, they had Costas and Bob Uecker in the booth...and they were really entertaining. Then they added Joe Morgan and things went downhill fast because he didnt like sharing air time with Uecker.

TommyJohn
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm not looking forward to Costas either. I can only imagine his anti-Sox blither:

:costas
"the White Sox winning the World Series is bad for baseball. When premier teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Cardinals aren't in the fall classic, the entire sport suffers."

I'm happy that I am not the only Costas disliker out there, and that people
see him for the pompous, unfunny egomaniac that he is. He is one of the
people that have told us that the White Sox' long history of not winning
the World Series is their "punishment" for their "history of greed." Therefore,
it isn't on par with the Cubs or Red Sox. So, for all of you out there who
cried and/or dedicated the Sox' World Seies win to a long gone loved one,
Bob probably felt they were being punished, too.

On a smaller matter, his attempt at humor during the World Series was
lame, as usual. He said "I found the sight of Wilbur Wood in shorts very
inspiring." Well, the Sox wore shorts once, in July or August of 1976.
Wilbur Wood was injured in May of that year and out for the season.
I suppose I should take that comment in the spirit it was intended, but
knowing who it was from, I just can't.

If baseball goes to NBC and the White Sox go to the postseason in 2006,
I'll watch the games with the sound down so I don't have to listen to
Costas sniff Mickey Mantle's jock, although I'd love to hear him talk about
how he named his son after that great all-American hero, Kirby Puckett.

longshot7
01-23-2006, 11:20 PM
McCarver is the best

That stuff is gold!!!!!!!!! Tell me why we don't want him broadcasting?

SouthSide_HitMen
01-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Al Michaels is a pompous arse, and Keith Jackson has lost his fastball so to speak.

Keith Jackson didn't know what the hell was going on during the Rose Bowl. I hate the Disney / ABC / ESPN combine. Fox is ten times better than ABC. NBC would still be the best choice since they won't pimp the playoffs onto a cable station as ABC would probably do (the first two rounds). I could always mute the Fox announcers and listen to the radio broadcast for the World Series and playoffs (if they will still be broadcast locally - God forbid we miss an NBA Exhibition game).

mike squires
01-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I actually always thought Costas was decent. To me, growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, the two premier teams will always be Scully/Garagiola and Costas/Kubek.

Brian~Between sips of my rum, I can say I totally agree with you. Vin and Joe were great. They made a warm summer day in August feel like a warm summer day in August like no other. I like Costas also. I hate Joe Buck and not just because of his lack of enthusiasm for our Whitesox. That being said, Joe is much better at football. I can at least tolerate him while watching a football game.

hawkeyesox17
01-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Brian~Between sips of my rum, I can say I totally agree with you. Vin and Joe were great. They made a warm summer day in August feel like a warm summer day in August like no other. I like Costas also. I hate Joe Buck and not just because of his lack of enthusiasm for our Whitesox. That being said, Joe is much better at football. I can at least tolerate him while watching a football game.

:hawk
Your what hurts?

I wish I was feeling as good as you are right now. :redneck

alsoxfan
01-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Anything not to have to listen to McCarver for another game. By the second game of the Series I muted the TV and listened to the sox radio announcers through the internet.

If the weekend games went to another network, possibly (unlikely but possibly) the team with the best winning percentage would be seen outside of their local area on network TV. I know it is fun to see the Yankees lose to the Devil Rays but mix it up a bit.

Hopefully ESPN/ABC won't pick up any more games. I have yet to forgive them for the smear job they pulled on Auburn during the Sugar Bowl so people would not contest the USC/Oklahoma game. Just because Auburn didn't run up the score on an opponent they respected doesn't mean they were not better than USC. (Sorry about that mini rant, but they did lose 4 1st round draft picks and still were decent this year)

MILTMAY5
01-24-2006, 03:46 AM
McCarver is the best

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/images/needone.jpgMcCarver absolutley sucks - I'd rather listen to DJ!

kraut83
01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
If there is a change, I'd love to see a more true concept of the "regional" game of the week. Something's wrong when I get a yankee or red sox game instead of a Sox-Toons game in the middle of MI.

EastCoastSoxFan
01-24-2006, 09:37 AM
What are the chances of somebody who--oh, I don't know, has a clue--starting a whole new sports channel? They could maybe hire people who know what the hell they're talking about--give them a test or something--and broadcast games in prime time featuring teams who are good, but who don't necessarily play on the East Coast. And since this would be a cable channel, maybe they could broadcast the games without commercial interruption. (IIRC, that was one of cable TV's major selling points--once upon a time.)

Come to think of it, maybe "once upon a time" is as good way as any to end this mini-rant of mine.
All teal notwithstanding, the word around the campfire here in Philly that Comcast is looking down the road to position themselves as a direct competitor to ESPN for sports broadcasting. They are already established in 2 of the 5 largest sports markets and are the largest cable provider in the country. We shall see...

AZChiSoxFan
01-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Al Michaels is a pompous arse

And Bob Costas and Joe Buck aren't??? Please.

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
And Bob Costas and Joe Buck aren't??? Please.

Not nearly as much as Michaels. Do Costas and the younger Buck have to have their special pillow with them wherever they go?

AZChiSoxFan
01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Not nearly as much as Michaels. Do Costas and the younger Buck have to have their special pillow with them wherever they go?

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'll take Michaels any day of the week and twice on Sunday over either Costas or Buck. IMO, there's never been a more egotistical announcer in the history of announcers than that little arrogant prick, Joe Buck. If I never had to hear him again, it would be one time too many.

Chicken Dinner
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Just end the MLB Extra Innings Saturday blackouts!!!

Fenway
01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
All teal notwithstanding, the word around the campfire here in Philly that Comcast is looking down the road to position themselves as a direct competitor to ESPN for sports broadcasting. They are already established in 2 of the 5 largest sports markets and are the largest cable provider in the country. We shall see...

Comcast is a part owner of the new SportsNet New York and they have a very cozy relationship with NESN as well.

Stroker Ace
01-24-2006, 03:01 PM
McCarver is the best

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/images/needone.jpgLet's not forget (In Referece to Brad Lidge during game 2 of the World Series) "I think that bad taste has left his mouth" (Or something along those lines)

gowhitesox
01-24-2006, 07:32 PM
I sure hope that Fox loses the baseball contract. It would be one way to get rid of Joe Buck, I don't even like listening to him doing football.

PKalltheway
01-25-2006, 12:33 AM
I most certainly hope that FOX loses its contract. After ten years with the game of the week, I'm ready for a change. I would love to see NBC get the postseason and the game of the week on Saturdays. What little bit I remember of NBC showing the postseason during the late 1990's was pretty good, so I wouldn't have any problem with seeing them do it again. One thing to do is to avoid ABC at all costs! I also heard that when baseball was on CBS, the coverage really stunk so I guess you could throw them out too. Go get 'em NBC.

Viva Medias B's
01-25-2006, 08:25 AM
Let's not forget (In Referece to Brad Lidge during game 2 of the World Series) "I think that bad taste has left his mouth" (Or something along those lines)

And right after that...

:putitontheboard
:dinger
:rooney
:winner

Hangar18
01-25-2006, 10:06 AM

GOOOD. Id love for them to get Baseball away from ESPN, so we dont have to hear all about the Yankees and BoSox. Dont get me wrong, those are 2 premier AL franchises, but that doesnt mean devoting 80% of you programming to them. Anyone remember the "hilites" of the SOX/BoSox game? The one were Manny and Papi hit monster homeruns. ESPN did the hilites, set up those innings, set up the pitchers counts, then PRESTO, shows both blasts. As the final score graphics popped up, You would think wow the RedSox mustve won big Right??? The White SOX won 5-3,
yet ESPN only Bostons 3 runs!!!!!!!!!!

And remember this announcing GEM, from none other than that FLOP Chris Berman, moments after the White Sox just won their 1st post season series since 1917 ...............With White Sox Players MOBBING each other on the mound ............What were his words? "..And the dream of repeating is over for the Boston Red Sox. Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox on a marvelous season they had this year, they had a run ........."
Absolutely Sickening. In both WS Videos, when the SOX win, they have to CUT OUT THE VIDEO sound, because of Berman. This guy is a 1st Class Jack-Ass.

SOXPHILE
01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Absolutely Sickening. In both WS Videos, when the SOX win, they have to CUT OUT THE VIDEO sound, because of Berman. This guy is a 1st Class Jack-Ass.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7f/180px-Chrisberman.jpg (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=1636n1lvnwii3?method=4&dsname=Wikipedia+Images&dekey=Chrisberman.jpg&gwp=8&sbid=lc03a)

"Good evening, and welcome to tonight's edition of Yankees-Red Sox Daily. Tonight, we will be discussing, what else ? Derek Jeter, A-Rod, Manny, Curt Schilling, the ghost of Babe Ruth, and the history that is Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium. We will be joined by Yankees manager Joe Torre, and my personal gastro-intestinal hero, David Wells. Together, we will examine how the Yankees and Red Sox, and in fact, MLB, can recover from a disasterous 2005 post season, and how things can be returned to the way they should be, mainly, a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS matchup EVERY year. Taking it a step further, we also will ponder the possibilities of Bud Selig using his powers as commisioner to make Yankees-Red Sox a World Series match up as well."

</IMG>

Hokiesox
01-25-2006, 11:31 AM

It could be worse, I haven't seen Dennis Miller's name come up yet.:o:

Wimpy
01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
AW come on, you mean we may have seen that last of Slider. (or whatever that stupid talking baseball's name is)

Banix12
01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
AW come on, you mean we may have seen that last of Slider. (or whatever that stupid talking baseball's name is)

Actually it's Scooter.

If I were working for FOX Sports I would make a big animated bat named "Slugger" that would pound the bejezus out of Scooter after he he finishes talking about a changeup.