PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to hear of Al Smith passing......

chisox5967
01-03-2002, 07:45 PM
For the middle aged Chisox loyal fans, Al Smith passed away this afternoon at the age of 73. Al will be remembered for helping to lead the Chicago White Sox to their last World Series appearance in 1959. Remember the beer dousing?

Rest in peace Al. You'll be missed.

Paulwny
01-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Too bad, Al was a great clutch hitter on the 59 team.

duke of dorwood
01-03-2002, 07:55 PM
And part of a fine defensive team. Covered lots of ground in our big outfield. This beer is FOR you.

DrCrawdad
01-04-2002, 12:08 AM
I was born in 1964 and I'm only familiar with Al's career from what I've read and heard about.

The picture is a classic.

Nellie_Fox
01-05-2002, 04:10 AM
When the Sox traded Al Smith, I ran around my neighborhood getting people to sign a petition against the trade. In my youthful naivete, I believed it would make a difference. Here's to you Al: May you hit nothing but line drives and catch all balls hit your way.

SOXSINCE'70
01-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
And part of a fine defensive team. Covered lots of ground in our big outfield. This beer is FOR you.

What a shame that Smith will be remembered mostly for something that was not his fault. :(:

Nellsin
01-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

What a shame that Smith will be remembered mostly for something that was not his fault. :(:

A girl my brother used to work with comes from a family of huge Sox fans. The story of the spilled beer looms large in their family lore. As told to my brother by the girl's dad, his parents (her grandmother & grandfather) were at that game and the beer that is spilling belonged to her grandmother. I don't know which people in the photo are them (we could guess) but the beer was bought for the lady by the priest, whose clerical collar can be clearly seen in the photo. I love that part of the story.

SOXSINCE'70
01-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Nellsin

A girl my brother used to work with comes from a family of huge Sox fans. The story of the spilled beer looms large in their family lore. As told to my brother by the girl's dad, his parents (her grandmother & grandfather) were at that game and the beer that is spilling belonged to her grandmother. I don't know which people in the photo are them (we could guess) but the beer was bought for the lady by the priest, whose clerical collar can be clearly seen in the photo. I love that part of the story.

I didn't know that.Very interesting. :gulp: :gulp:

CubKilla
01-05-2002, 06:17 PM
God Bless all the deceased ball players who wore the uniform of Chicago's South Side Baseball Team. This one's for you Al.

:gulp: