PDA

View Full Version : No Nancy for night games????????????

Fenway
01-23-2006, 08:42 AM
I just saw this on the home page and if I read it right there will be no Nancy for night games in 2006. It appears she is happy about it but it certainly will take away from the White Sox experience.

The good news is that Nancy Faust will be back playing organ at The Cell for the 2006 season. She sent her signed contract to the Sox on January 14.
The bad news, at least for her fans, is that she will only be playing for games starting at or before 3:05 p.m. This means that Sox fans will be subjected to canned music only for most home games which start at either 6:05 or 7:05.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3064

Hangar18
01-23-2006, 08:44 AM
That cannot be right .............

Sad
01-23-2006, 08:50 AM
is somebdoy else at the organ for night games?
I don't get it... :?:

Fenway
01-23-2006, 08:52 AM
That cannot be right .............

Ive never held back the fact that Im a huge Nancy Faust fan, so its obvious that Im thrilled she will be back in 2006. Im also happy that Brooks Boyer has publicly said that Nancy Faust will play for the Sox for as long as she wants. This contract seems to confirm that Boyer meant what he said. It confirms to us something that weve felt for a long time now, that Boyer is a straight shooter.

If it was Nancy's idea to give up nights that is one thing but if not then Brooks has a lot of explaining to do.

Hangar18
01-23-2006, 08:52 AM
No freaking way. She is a LEGEND, not only in this town, but among her peers. The SOX must let her play for as long as she can ..........
this is a dumb move. DUMB

nasox
01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Does this mean we get nothing but nancy on day games? I see the tradeoff, but if we get only nancy and not the annoying stuff on day games, it's ok with me.

I agree, we need more clarification.

I can see this thread going into a no shower thread really soon, so brooks should show his face. :wink:

Hangar18
01-23-2006, 09:02 AM
This sounds like Nancy is taking the high road here, she senses the SOX are trying to push her out the door.
I cant stress enough just how DUMB this move is. :angry:

Grobber33
01-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Nancy is a good Friend of mine(as is her Husband),,and I'll chat with her this weekend at Soxfest to find out what the story is. While SOME of the canned music is OK,,,having an organ at games is a key. The first time I went to a Sox game in 1961, Shay Torrent(spelling may be off here)was great on the Comiskey organ(before he left for Anaheim to do Angels games).Then Bob Crede did it and gave way to a then 19 year old Nancy in 1970. She is part of the Sox experience. I would be quite unhappy if she is fazed out.She played for the Bulls from 1976 thru 1984 when the NBA had all teams go to the 'canned' music.She also played for the Blackhawks before being replaced by Frank Pellico.
I'll try to get whatever info I can and post it here as well as on my website.

chisoxmike
01-23-2006, 09:20 AM
So it won't be a total love fest this weekend. We now have at least ONE thing to complain about. I was getting scared for a while that we could go for a whole Soxfest without complaining about something. :D:

But I agree with Hangar, this is a dumb move. I don't mind the canned music, but you need Nancy at all the games in some capacity. Either before the games or like she has been doing for the visitors lineup. This does sounds like the Sox are trying to push her out.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Nancy is a good Friend of mine(as is her Husband),,and I'll chat with her this weekend at Soxfest to find out what the story is. While SOME of the canned music is OK,,,having an organ at games is a key. The first time I went to a Sox game in 1961, Shay Torrent(spelling may be off here)was great on the Comiskey organ(before he left for Anaheim to do Angels games).Then Bob Crede did it and gave way to a then 19 year old Nancy in 1970. She is part of the Sox experience. I would be quite unhappy if she is fazed out.She played for the Bulls from 1976 thru 1984 when the NBA had all teams go to the 'canned' music.She also played for the Blackhawks before being replaced by Frank Pellico.
I'll try to get whatever info I can and post it here as well as on my website.

Thanks Les - keep us informed. Nancy Faust is the second reason to go to White Sox games (a close second to the White Sox ballclub). During many seasons, Nancy surpassed the White Sox as a reason to come to the park (Early 1970s, mid to late 1980s come to mind). On the opposite end of the spectrum, the LOUD ANNOYING canned rap / pop "music" (or what passes for music these days) is probably the thing I dislike most about attending White Sox games (up there with the advertisement banner across the stadium (here is a thought - show the score of the game for people whose view of the main scoreboard is blocked on each corner and put your ads in the middle - win win) and of course Miller Lite).

I fear when Nancy is phased out / leaves we will no longer have an organist - just some "club DJ". If I want to listen to garbage, I'll go to a club. I suspect most fans want to listen to what they have been listening to for the past 35 years at Comiskey (as well as many years at the Chicago Stadium) - Nancy Faust.

:nancy The Best

http://www.cyberkids.com/cy/mo/co/images/anight.jpg The Worst

XplodingScorbord
01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
So who's going to play Na Na Hey Hey when the Sox homer at night, or there is an opponent pitching change? Will it be a canned version of Nancy, or is that tradition dead as well?

Hate this, hate this, hate this.:angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 09:36 AM
So it won't be a total love fest this weekend. We now have at least ONE thing to complain about. I was getting scared for a while that we could go for a whole Soxfest without complaining about something. :D:

But I agree with Hangar, this is a dumb move. I don't mind the canned music, but you need Nancy at all the games in some capacity. Either before the games or like she has been doing for the visitors lineup. This does sounds like the Sox are trying to push her out.

I don't have tickets to SoxFest :whiner: but I hope those that do let Brooks Boyer and the suits in marketing know how much we love and will miss Nancy. Last year the club stated that after numerous polls and surveys, one issue had the most support among all White Sox fans. It wasn't dog day or mullet day, it wasn't the scoreboard, and it even wasn't the churros. It was the unequivocal, 100% love for all things Nancy Faust.

First John Rooney and now this. :whiner: :whiner:

HomeFish
01-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Brooks's inbox must be flooded with hatemail today.

Rocky Soprano
01-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Brooks's inbox must be flooded with hatemail today.

And that would be stupid since the article says that Nancy was the one that made the suggestion for the change.

MisterB
01-23-2006, 09:45 AM

If the Sox were trying to squeeze her out, why put a 3:05 start time limit on it? That sounds more like something that Nancy might have asked for for personal reasons. (maybe she's just tired of getting home at midnight after night games.) I do hope that they record some of her organ work for playing during night games ('Take Me Out to the Ballgame', 'Na Na Hey Hey Kiss 'em Goodbye', etc.). Canned Nancy is better than no Nancy at all.

edit: Duh, would help if I read the article first..

Rocky Soprano
01-23-2006, 09:49 AM
If the Sox were trying to squeeze her out, why put a 3:05 start time limit on it? That sounds more like something that Nancy might have asked for for personal reasons. (maybe she's just tired of getting home at midnight after night games.) I do hope that they record some of her organ work for playing during night games ('Take Me Out to the Ballgame', 'Na Na Hey Hey Kiss 'em Goodbye', etc.). Canned Nancy is better than no Nancy at all.

Exactly, the article says that it was Nancy's idea. But I guess complaining about Sox management is a lot more fun!

Fenway
01-23-2006, 09:50 AM
And that would be stupid since the article says that Nancy was the one that made the suggestion for the change.

She also said she would happily play at night if the call her

Faust said the new contract is not necessarily limited to those games. If there is anything special for any other evenings, they can call me to play, she said.

The White Sox should think back to early last season. Even with the great start the media was taking it's time warming up to the Sox, but when they had "Nothing But Nancy Day" it created columns and major coverage on the 6 and 10 PM newscasts.

I am sensing that perhaps Nancy doesn't want to do a long drive at night anymore because I understand she lives outside the city but that is only a guess on my part.

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I am really upset about this change. Having an organ playing makes it the game feel and experience much better. Now, with the piped in stuff it feels like an NBA game or NFL game. I think the sox should look to sign a part time organist to play for any games nancy does not want to play.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I am really upset about this change. Having an organ playing makes it the game feel and experience much better. Now, with the piped in stuff it feels like an NBA game or NFL game. I think the sox should look to sign a part time organist to play for any games nancy does not want to play.

yesterday Mike Lupica grumbled in the Daily News

Who made the decision to make Madison Square Garden, still called "the world's most famous arena," into the world's loudest arena during Knicks games? The place isn't always what it used to be. It's not supposed to sound like a video arcade at the mall.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/lupica/

Dan H
01-23-2006, 10:02 AM
I would like to get the whole story behind this, before I make an opinion. Regardless, it is sad to see her role lessened. Maybe she suggested for some reason but for a long time Sox management have wanted her to go.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 10:03 AM
It was her idea, but she'll happily play for as many night games as they want her? Something doesn't add up. I sense that there's a lot more to this story than what's been said.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I am really upset about this change. Having an organ playing makes the game feel and experience much better. Now, with the piped in stuff it feels like an NBA game or NFL game. I think the sox should look to sign a part time organist to play for any games nancy does not want to play.

Exactly. If this is Nancy's decision we should have a oranist for games she does not want to play (for whatever personal reason she may have). When she wants to "retire" for good we will need a replacement anyway (unless this is part of a grand plan to eliminate the organist position at White Sox games - claiming White Sox fans do not want an organist except for Nancy Faust which they will slowly eliminate). In an area of 7 million people qualified professional organists exist. This is baseball - not the XFL, not some crappy NBA game or ESPN X Game event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Faust

Fenway
01-23-2006, 10:05 AM
just got an answer from Brooks

Brooks Boyer
10:59 am (3 minutes ago)
She wanted a lighter schedule. She will do all day games, Opening Night and all post season games if there are any.

Brooks

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 10:06 AM
yesterday Mike Lupica grumbled in the Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/lupica/

You are right about the Garden, they do use the organ a lot, but for all the other nba games its different. I guess I am just old school in liking the organ music, if I want to listen to piped in stuff I can bring my Ipod to the game. Its not to say I don't want any non organ music, but to get rid of it totally at night games stinks. For example, I love the sox intro's and playing ACDC's Thunderstruck to start the game, that's great. But I also like to hear nancy playing during BP, pitching changes, and between innings; her clasic stuff like "Run around Sue," "Classical Gas," and "Lake Shore Drive" to name a few.

spiffie
01-23-2006, 10:08 AM
just got an answer from Brooks

Brooks Boyer
10:59 am (3 minutes ago)
She wanted a lighter schedule. She will do all day games, Opening Night and all post season games if there are any.

Brooks
He must have that on cut and paste, as I just got the exact same response from him.

Hangar18
01-23-2006, 10:11 AM
That is the one thing I dislike about NBA games too ......
but then again, the NBA isnt MLB. The loud RAP music, in between innings
and in between batters is Terrrible. Id rather hear organ music from Nancy
because she plays everything from ear. She can hear a song and get to the park and play it, shes that good. Some musicians have that "ear",
and because shes so witty, she will bring songs from out of the dustbin and play. Anyone remember when Brian Anderson was playing in his 1st game ....she played the theme from that bad tv show Greatest American Hero. HILARIOUS. She was the one back in 1977, with the old park packed with 50,000 people and rockin', played We Will Rock You, and everyone singing it. Moments later, during a pitching change, she played
NaNaNaNa HeyHey and spontaneously on cue, the crowd sang what would become the SOX unofficial theme song.

What other organist has this much influence on their team?
None. I cant see the guy who plays the Who Let The Dogs Out being credited for starting something new. Its not as spontaneous or original
as a real organist. Again, this is an incredibly DUMB MOVE. You dont let a hall of fame announcer just walk away over $$$$$$$$$. You pay the guy. and you DONT phase out a hall of fame Organist. Dumb Dumb Dumb In the end, im more concerned with the product on the field, and the SOX have done a phenomenal job setting themselves up for good things in 06, but cmon. Why Fix what isnt broken?

Fenway
01-23-2006, 10:12 AM
He must have that on cut and paste, as I just got the exact same response from him.

Whatever the reason, notice the White Sox didn't issue a PR blurb when she signed the new contract. Maybe they were going to announce it at Soxfest but by tomorrow the mainstream media will have the story.

SOecks

And he'll shortly have carpal tunnel syndrom from doing it so much as I'm sure his email box is now flooded with these inquiries.

Stoky44
Exactly. If this is Nancy's decision we should have a oranist for games she does not want to play (for whatever personal reason she may have). When she wants to "retire" for good we will need a replacement anyway (unless this is part of a grand plan to eliminate the organist position at White Sox games - claiming White Sox fans do not want an organist except for Nancy Faust which they will slowly eliminate). In an area of 7 million people qualified professional organists exist. This is baseball - not the XFL, not some crappy NBA game or ESPN X Game event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Faust

Exactly what I meant. I love Nancy and don't want to replace her, but she is getting up in age and may not want to do as many games or may retire soon. We will need a replacement. I love nancy on the organ, but for me I would rather have a non-nancy organ than no organ at all (or taped nancy organ music piped in, there is something about her quick thinking and playing the right sound bit for that exact moment, ala Adam Kennedy at bat to the president song [brain cramp, can't think of the title]).

Iwritecode
01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
A quote from Hal on the Soxtalk forums:

I've been sitting on this waiting to hear from Nancy, but since the news is out, I'll tell you what I know. I talked to her in December, and she said that she was requesting days only for a couple of reasons:

1) the drive home late at night was starting to become a real bother to her;
2) she feels that the people who come to the park are more "her crowd."

The last time I talked to her, she had sent in a counter-offer to the Sox that she felt they would accept. Apparently they did.

I was going to wait and let Hal do it himself but I feared Hangar might be suicidal by then. :cool:

Hangar18
01-23-2006, 10:37 AM
A quote from Hal on the Soxtalk forums:

I was going to wait and let Hal do it himself but I feared Hangar might be suicidal by then. :cool:

If thats really the case ..........bless her heart. I guess minimal Nancy is better than No Nancy at all.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2006, 10:40 AM
If thats really the case ..........bless her heart. I guess minimal Nancy is better than No Nancy at all.

You can't really fault her for wanting to lighten the load. 35 years is a damn long time. Credit to the Sox for not taking a "screw you" attitude and letting her walk.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I'll miss Nancy at the night games. I'd presume that she made this decision and that the Sox did not force it upon her. I think it would be a good idea for Nancy to record her regular staple of songs so that they could play them at night.

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Wow. I respect her decision, but I'm not happy about it. So I guess it means she's really only going to play Sundays which is kids day...the day I try to avoid because I don't care much for kids. :mad:

Ah well, I guess there is the occasional weekday afternoon game. I suppose I could take off of work for Nancy.

TheOldRoman
01-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I agree with the sentiment that the Sox need to bring in another organist. Nancy is clearly the best around, and I hate to see her go, but I respect her wishes. I know she is married and has a son, so she probably wants to spend more time with them.
The Sox need to find a new organist to do the night games she doesn't want to do. This person would eventually replace her for all the games when she decides to hang it up for good. I fear that when Nancy decides to retire, the oragan room will be turned into a nachos stand.:angry:

RallyBowl
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Let's not get upset at anyone here. The way I understood the article is that it was her decision, which has already been touched upon. IIRC the article also had a quote from Brooks that said she will have a job there for as long as she wants.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I agree with the sentiment that the Sox need to bring in another organist. Nancy is clearly the best around, and I hate to see her go, but I respect her wishes. I know she is married and has a son, so she probably wants to spend more time with them.
The Sox need to find a new organist to do the night games she doesn't want to do. This person would eventually replace her for all the games when she decides to hang it up for good. I fear that when Nancy decides to retire, the oragan room will be turned into a nachos stand.:angry:Amen. Her son is grown, though, so I don't know if that was much of a factor after all this time. Sounds more like she's just tired of the late nights.

I hate canned music.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2006, 11:08 AM
The Sox need to find a new organist to do the night games she doesn't want to do. This person would eventually replace her for all the games when she decides to hang it up for good. I fear that when Nancy decides to retire, the oragan room will be turned into a nachos stand.:angry:

"Nancy's Nachos", I can see it now...:rolleyes:

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Wow. I respect her decision, but I'm not happy about it. So I guess it means she's really only going to play Sundays which is kids day...the day I try to avoid because I don't care much for kids. :mad:

Ironic considering teaching is your line of work. :tongue:

Brooks sent me a slightly longer response regarding the decision. He did stress it was her decision and my response was the hope for the team to consider having an organist fill in for night games as Nancy will need a replacement at some point (when she decides to retire permanently). I sadly fear the organ booth will be replaced with a beer stand when Nancy leaves the team.

I think Brooks Boyer has done a great job since he came here and the White Sox in general are one of the best managed teams - both on and off the field.

The loss of the organ (and the dreadful "music" which replaces the organ) is a major point for me. It is one thing to have pizza races and other visual ads as the club has to earn revenue and I can always look away from the ads. But the near deafening noise of the soundsystem is something one cannot avoid. I (unlike certain fans to the North) come to watch and enjoy the game first and foremost but feel the organ music adds to the experience and the pipped sound detracts from the experience.

Maybe I am an old fart (in my mid 30s) but I still think a majority of fans appreciate the organ and Nancy's talent makes the appreciation even greater. I enjoy organ music at the few remaining parks (including Wrigley) even though the musicians are not as good (or I am not attached to them) as much as Nancy.

Anyway, I'll be attending more day games this season and I hope Fox claims some previously scheduled night games for their Saturday afternoon broadcasts (and ESPN sticks with their New York / Boston format for Sunday evening broadcasts).

SOXPHILE
01-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Hopefully, as others have suggested here, the White Sox do get someone to play on the evenings Nancy is not there, instead of just going with 100% canned music. They've probably been looking for somebody long before this all became public knowledge, and maybe they're going to make the official announcement and introduce him/her at SoxFest this weekend ?

Dick Allen
01-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll try to get whatever info I can and post it here as well as on my website.Les, do you also remember that the organ was in the CF bleachers when Nancy first started? Actually, I hate to say it, but by now, I don't notice or pay much attention to the organ music anymore. Maybe I'm getting too old. I concentrate more on what's going on, on the field.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Assuming that Nancy is tired of the long drive home at night perhaps the White Sox could offer her a ride home with one of the black car companies in the Loop like Boston Coach. It really wouldn't cost anything as they could easily do a promo blurb on the scoreboard and PA.

http://www.bostoncoach.com/common/care/address.jsp

Ironic this is happening now in Chicago when a lot of teams are starting to bring back organ music after hearing from fans sick of "canned music"

tebman
01-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Hopefully, as others have suggested here, the White Sox do get someone to play on the evenings Nancy is not there, instead of just going with 100% canned music. They've probably been looking for somebody long before this all became public knowledge, and maybe they're going to make the official announcement and introduce him/her at SoxFest this weekend ?
I hope so too. We all knew this would happen eventually -- Nancy's been doing this for over 35 years, and it's reasonable to expect that she'd be getting tired at some point. I remember reading that she lives in a distant suburb (exurb?), and her commute is longer than most. Getting out of the ballpark near midnight and driving many miles to get home in the wee hours will wear a person down.

I'd like to think that the Sox office has been making longer-term plans regarding this. I sure hope they have. I worry too that in the crush of other business it'll be too tempting to simply default to more of the canned music that's not only grating, but lacks the wit of Nancy's ad-libs on the keyboard. The problem with canned music isn't that it's too loud, though sometimes it can be, but rather that it's harsh and intrusive instead of situation-appropriate. We go to see a ballgame, which by its nature moves at a deliberate pace with occasional bursts of excitement; if there's going to be music or comedic sound effects to go along with it, they should complement the flow of the game.

Nancy's gift is being able to ride the wave of the game the way an experienced boat captain rides the waves and currents of the sea. That's what we'll miss, and I don't know how to replace that. All things must pass, I guess, but there's an opportunity here if the Sox can find someone with musical talent and a sense of humor.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Les, do you also remember that the organ was in the CF bleachers when Nancy first started? Actually, I hate to say it, but by now, I don't notice or pay much attention to the organ music anymore. Maybe I'm getting too old. I concentrate more on what's going on, on the field.

I think it is just another piece that contributes to the overall ballpark experience. Someone may not explicitly notice the organ music but when it isn't there, something just feels "different". Sort of like one of those things you don't know you have until its gone..

Grobber33
01-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Les, do you also remember that the organ was in the CF bleachers when Nancy first started? Actually, I hate to say it, but by now, I don't notice or pay much attention to the organ music anymore. Maybe I'm getting too old. I concentrate more on what's going on, on the field.

Amen to watching the action on the field the most,,,but Nancy remains a key element for Sox games just as organs are at Baseball games---and were at NBA and NHL but the canned stuff is considered 'cool' by the marketing geniuses.
The Bucks and Brewers both pulled a dirty trick on former organist Frank Charles in the early 80's. They both taped his songs and bits without telling him. Then they let him go and began simply playing his stuff and when he took it to court,the teams won and owed him little or nothing since they had some fine print on it. Nice huh???

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Ironic considering teaching is your line of work. :tongue:

I should clarify, I don't like kids under the age of 13.

As much as I hate to say this, I don't think a "substitute" organist is a bad idea. Perhaps someone Nancy hand picks.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 11:57 AM
The hockey writer of the Philadelphia Inquirer posted this last week about the United Center organ

http://v2.hockeybuzz.com/blogworld/ArchivePost.aspx?blogger=2&post=1008

Here's a great audio commentary on the hockey organ (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nhl/mike_emrick/20060119_20k.wax) from NHL broadcaster Mike Emrick.

Chez
01-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I love Nancy; hate the loud, canned music but think it's tremendous that the most we have to carp about this winter is that our organist won't be playing at night games!

chaerulez
01-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I find it funny that after all the crying and whining towards Sox management... it turns out this was Nancy's call.

Hopefully it teaches people not to jump to conclusions.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Brooks sent me a followup

Brooks Boyer to me
12:19 pm (44 minutes ago)

This is the tough call. Can anyone replace Nancy? It is like following Coach K at Duke. I have asked many people and reactions are mixed. I plan on talking to more people at Soxfest.

Thanks for listening.

Brooks

My 2 cents? If Nancy embraces the new person then everything will be fine.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Brooks Boyer to me

This is the tough call. Can anyone replace Nancy? It is like following Coach K at Duke. I have asked many people and reactions are mixed. I plan on talking to more people at Soxfest.

Thanks for listening.

Brooks

My 2 cents? If Nancy embraces the new person then everything will be fine.The question isn't "replacing" Nancy. By not having another organist, they're replacing her just the same, but with canned music. Almost any decent organist would be preferable.

XplodingScorbord
01-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey, just so long as we get someone to be her understudy, start learning from her greatness, I'm all for Nancy setting her life up the way she wants it. She's served us well for so long!

But if this is the beginning of the end of having an organist at all, count me in the "very against" column.

XplodingScorbord
01-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Brooks Boyer to me

Thanks for listening.

Brooks

Hey, Brooks: Someone will follow Coach K at Duke. They ain't gonna just fold the basketball program!

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 12:16 PM

Brooks Boyer to me

Thanks for listening.

Brooks

My 2 cents? If Nancy embraces the new person then everything will be fine.

He is right, nobody can replace Nancy. I am just looking for someone to play the organ when Nancy is gone. By the logic Brooks has, well nobody is going to be Nancy, so lets not have an organ anymore is stupid. Face it people retire and move on. Will Duke basketball be over when K retires, should they just tear down Cameron indoor? Should the NBA stop playing in Chicago, becuase nobody can replace MJ. When Ozzie retires (which will happen at some point), should we not get another manager b/c they can't replace Ozzie. It would not be disrespectful to bring in another organist, I think it would be a compliment to Nancy. That we sox fans have loved Nancy and her organ so much, we want to go against the norm and make sure we have a LIVE organist forever.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey, Brooks: Someone will follow Coach K at Duke. They ain't gonna just fold the basketball program!

I felt like sending a reply that Notre Dame ( Brook's alma mater ) didn't shut down football when Knute Rockne died. I did point out to him that it took 2 organists to replace the late, great Eddie Layton at Yankee Stadium but the fans are happy that the organ stayed. It is a big part of going to a game in the Bronx ( as much as I hated hearing "Over There, Over There.." after a Yankees home run off Boston pitching )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/67/Eddie_Layton.jpg/180px-Eddie_Layton.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Eddie_Layton.jpg)

I miss the organ playing the National Anthem at a ballpark....this is the way a game started in Boston from 1943 to 1988 ( John Kiley had the 60 second anthem down perfect )

http://www.shermfeller.com/Anthem.mp3

steff
01-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Poor Brooks...

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 12:21 PM
I felt like sending a reply that Notre Dame ( Brook's alma mater ) didn't shut down football when Knute Rockne died. I did point out to him that it took 2 organists to replace the late, great Eddie Layton at Yankee Stadium but the fans are happy that the organ stayed. It is a big part of going to a game in the Bronx ( as much as I hated hearing "Over There, Over There.." after a Yankees home run off Boston pitching )

I think you should. Losing Nancy would be bad, but losing the organ all together would be horrible. I would rather have a new (part-time)organist than none at all, especially since almost all of my games are night games. :(:

LuvSox
01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I should clarify, I don't like kids under the age of 13

I'm scratching your name right off my babysitter list young lady! :D:

bayzbol44
01-23-2006, 12:41 PM
If it was Nancy's idea to give up nights that is one thing but if not then Brooks has a lot of explaining to do.

All I can say is that for a fact, it was her idea. I know someone very close to her. She was tired of driving there every day just to play for 5-10 mins a game.

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 12:47 PM
All I can say is that for a fact, it was her idea. I know someone very close to her. She was tired of driving there every day just to play for 5-10 mins a game.

What do we have to do to tell the Sox WE DO NOT LIKE A LOT OF PIPED IN MUSIC, WE LOVE THE ORGAN!!!!

ilsox7
01-23-2006, 12:49 PM
What do we have to do to tell the Sox WE DO NOT LIKE A LOT OF PIPED IN MUSIC, WE LOVE THE ORGAN!!!!
It seems as though while a certain proportion of Sox fans prefer the organ that there is an even bigger portion that likes the DJ. Brooks is a smart guy and has been conducting surveys around the park. If it were a vast majority of fans who wanted the organ and only the organ, I think you'd see that. But that's apparently not the case.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 12:49 PM
What do we have to do to tell the Sox WE DO NOT LIKE A LOT OF PIPED IN MUSIC, WE LOVE THE ORGAN!!!!I have a feeling this subject just might come up this weekend.:cool:

bayzbol44
01-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I think it would be a great idea to COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN. For some reason, the Sox think the DJ is the way to go. IF you ever sit there and listen to the game (no matter what time), she barely played.

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 12:54 PM
It seems as though while a certain proportion of Sox fans prefer the organ that there is an even bigger portion that likes the DJ. Brooks is a smart guy and has been conducting surveys around the park. If it were a vast majority of fans who wanted the organ and only the organ, I think you'd see that. But that's apparently not the case.

Well, in here it appears that most people prefer the organ, so I will start a simple poll thread to find out. I would really like to know how many people like the DJ thing over an organ, and how many people just say they son't care if the organ is there. So one stated earlier, that most people won't miss the organ until it is gone, which I think is the case.

ilsox7
01-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, in here it appears that most people prefer the organ, so I will start a simple poll thread to find out. I would really like to know how many people like the DJ thing over an organ, and how many people just say they son't care if the organ is there. So one stated earlier, that most people won't miss the organ until it is gone, which I think is the case.

Except that WSI is far from representing the majority of Sox fans. If the surveys at the Park show a majority of folks wanting the organ and only the organ, I think you'll see a movement in that direction. Instead, I get the distinct feeling that there is a small but vocal crowd that prefers the organ and most of those are diehards. This is the reason the Sox have not done away with the organ and Nancy all together.

Hopefully Nothing but Nancy Day last year opened some eyes and when the Sox conduct surveys this year, that will be reflected.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I think it would be a great idea to COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN. For some reason, the Sox think the DJ is the way to go. IF you ever sit there and listen to the game (no matter what time), she barely played.

You don't have to necessarily complain. Brooks welcomes input. Politely state your preference for an organ music and a new organist should be groomed (selected) by Nancy and the replacement can play night games.

I think if a majority / overwhelming response in favor of keeping the organ is received by White Sox management, they will reconsider what most of us think is their inclination (based on past comments made before Brooks arrived) to phase out the organ.

It would be a sad day for Chicago White Sox fans if the only organist they would hear each year are the three interleague games at Wrigley Field.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Except that WSI is far from representing the majority of Sox fans. If the surveys at the Park show a majority of folks wanting the organ and only the organ, I think you'll see a movement in that direction. Instead, I get the distinct feeling that there is a small but vocal crowd that prefers the organ and most of those are diehards. This is the reason the Sox have not done away with the organ and Nancy all together.

Hopefully Nothing but Nancy Day last year opened some eyes and when the Sox conduct surveys this year, that will be reflected.I expect most of the die-hards prefer the organ. It might be that their marketing surveys tell them that the casual fan prefers the canned music. The die-hards will come to games regardless, but the casual fan might be more likely to attend if they get the music they prefer. It would suck if the fans that support the team through the good times and bad get screwed in order to attract new fans.

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, I've never been surveyed.

ilsox7
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I expect most of the die-hards prefer the organ. It might be that their marketing surveys tell them that the casual fan prefers the canned music. The die-hards will come to games regardless, but the casual fan might be more likely to attend if they get the music they prefer. It would suck if the fans that support the team through the good times and bad get screwed in order to attract new fans.

Yes, this is pretty much the point I was getting at. The issue then becomes at what level do the Sox need to see support for the organ. If the current split is, say, 75/25, I can see why they are keeping the DJ. The more that gap closes, the more they can justify "alienating" the majority in order to appease the minority.

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I expect most of the die-hards prefer the organ. It might be that their marketing surveys tell them that the casual fan prefers the canned music. The die-hards will come to games regardless, but the casual fan might be more likely to attend if they get the music they prefer. It would suck if the fans that support the team through the good times and bad get screwed in order to attract new fans.

Is it that they prefer or don't care? I would bet that many casual fans won't notice a difference unless the organ was gone.

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 01:09 PM

Nor have I!

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Nor have I!

Methinks it's time we get surveyed!

What do they do walk up to the obvious putz...um, I mean casual fan on the concourse? :tongue:

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 01:24 PM

What do they do walk up to the obvious putz...um, I mean casual fan on the concourse? :tongue:

Has Brooks Boyer's team surveyed Season Ticket holders? I just became one (once again) in October. Sounds like something for the to do list - possibly send out the survey with the tickets in March or have something online (announce the survey via the email from the reps) to fill out in your personal season ticket holder account.

I generally like most of what I experience at Comiskey Park and would like them to know that. I would also like to point out the few things which could be better.

I generally do not like to fill out surveys except for products / services I am really interested in. White Sox baseball has been in that category since 1974.

Iwritecode
01-23-2006, 01:26 PM

I remember they were handing them out right at the gates and it was completely voluntary.

I passed so I have no idea what was on the survey.

thepaulbowski
01-23-2006, 01:26 PM

I've been surveyed on two seperate occasions, and I don't consider myself and putz, thank you. :cool:

Iwritecode
01-23-2006, 01:33 PM

Ah well, I guess there is the occasional weekday afternoon game. I suppose I could take off of work for Nancy.

Now that's not necessarily true.

Just going by last year's schedule there were 25 day games. 4 of them were on a Saturday and 7 of them were on Sundays that were not a kids day. They only had 4 kids days.

XplodingScorbord
01-23-2006, 01:35 PM

Ask fans if they'd like to have the Na Na Hey Hey tradition ended. Who is it they're asking anyway?

Seriously, do they think people are not coming to the ballpark because they are annoyed with organ music? They have an organ at that Northside Hellhole that sells out every game, don't they?

I'm not sure why I'm getting so worked up about this. Maybe because Nancy is the one constant for my entire fandom.

Keep the DJ, keep Nancy (and/or her successor). Under no circumstances should the tradition of a baseball stadium organist die at The Cell.

FARMEO
01-23-2006, 02:18 PM
I got surveyed a few years ago in the BP bar. I received some Comiskey cash for my effort, but I would have provided my opinion for free. Unfortunately I don't remember any of the questions that were asked.

It looks like I will have to start going to more day games, since I hate the canned music.

Dolly
01-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Ask fans if they'd like to have the Na Na Hey Hey tradition ended. Who is it they're asking anyway?

Seriously, do they think people are not coming to the ballpark because they are annoyed with organ music? They have an organ at that Northside Hellhole that sells out every game, don't they?

I'm not sure why I'm getting so worked up about this. Maybe because Nancy is the one constant for my entire fandom.

Keep the DJ, keep Nancy (and/or her successor). Under no circumstances should the tradition of a baseball stadium organist die at The Cell.I was surveyed once, at a game in late September. Some guy with a palm pilot came up to my group in the Bullpen Bar and asked us to rate different aspects of our "ballpark experience" on a scale of 1-10. All of my friends and I gave Nancy a 10, and a much lower score for the canned music. Nancy Faust has been playing at the ballpark for my entire life, and it is very sad to see her role diminishing, but I figured she'd be getting ready to retire pretty soon. I wish her all the best. :whiner:

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I was surveyed once, at a game in late September. Some guy with a palm pilot came up to my group in the Bullpen Bar and asked us to rate different aspects of our "ballpark experience" on a scale of 1-10. All of my friends and I gave Nancy a 10, and a much lower score for the canned music. Nancy Faust has been playing at the ballpark for my entire life, and it is very sad to see her role diminishing, but I figured she'd be getting ready to retire pretty soon. I wish her all the best. :whiner:BTW, those guys who do the surveys have a pretty nice gig. They get $50 to do 50 surveys (takes about 60-90 minutes, then they get to watch the game.

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Now that's not necessarily true.

Just going by last year's schedule there were 25 day games. 4 of them were on a Saturday and 7 of them were on Sundays that were not a kids day. They only had 4 kids days.

Had I known about the Nancy day game thing, I may have considered the Weekend plan instead of the week day plan, but I ended up buying the weekday plan. So that is 27 games for me, 5 of which are day games. Looking at the schedule I will most likely have to miss three of those days because of football. I guess I am going to have to enjoy Nancy to the fullest those 2 games when I get to hear her.

In regards to kids day, I rarely go to Sunday games so I guess it was luck of the draw that the few Sunday games I went to were kids days. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket tonight.

Dolly
01-23-2006, 03:05 PM
BTW, those guys who do the surveys have a pretty nice gig. They get $50 to do 50 surveys (takes about 60-90 minutes, then they get to watch the game.Hmmm.... I recruited all my friends for him and all I got was $1 in Comiskey Cash!!! :tongue:

MsSoxVixen22
01-23-2006, 03:09 PM
This sucks but as many have said some Nancy is better than no Nancy at all. Maybe she'll record alot of her organ music so they can play that at nite games. The canned music doesn't bother me that much....just as long as its rock. :D: All I have to say is I hope they have a recording of Nancy playing Na Na Kiss hin good bye for the pitching change!

Palehose13
01-23-2006, 03:46 PM
This sucks but as many have said some Nancy is better than no Nancy at all. Maybe she'll record alot of her organ music so they can play that at nite games. The canned music doesn't bother me that much....just as long as its rock. :D: All I have to say is I hope they have a recording of Nancy playing Na Na Kiss hin good bye for the pitching change!

I wouldn't mind recorded Nancy. It's not the same...I think. Maybe she can do studio sessions and record what she would play for the visiting players as well as her other favorites and the DJ can play that!

But hey...Nancy, if you are reading...I will pick you up and take you home for the games in the Hit and Run package if you play those games. C'mon...middle of the summer, Jeep with no top (the Jeep, not us) it'll be a blast!

TornLabrum
01-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm glad I logged on from work. (My workday is finished.) I want to emphasize a few of things.

First what Brooks Boyer said is the absolute truth. It was 100% Nancy's idea to reduce her workload for day games only. Nancy preferred that I not give all the reasons in the article, but some of you have hit it right on the head. (I just won't bother to say which ones in order to follow her wishes.)

Second, I would point out that the person who talked about Nancy not wanting to drive all that distance to play 10 minutes a game is way off base. For one thing she probably puts in a good hour of playing time, longer during rain delays. I haven't heard Nancy complain once about the amount of time she is allowed to play. To characterize her as complaining about this is unfair to both her and the White Sox.

Third, Nancy was very forceful in stating how much she has enjoyed and still enjoys working for the Sox. Every time I've interviewed her and the subject of the Sox has come up, she has always emphasized how well they've treated her over the years.

Nancy wants to wind down. I can see why. She's a couple of years older than I am (sorry about that if you're reading this, Nance!), and I'm starting to look at how many years it will be until I retire. It's not that anyone is forcing her out or that she's unhappy about anything. She's just approaching that time in her life.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2006, 03:53 PM
C'mon...middle of the summer, Jeep with no top (the Jeep, not us) it'll be a blast!

You cowards...:tongue:

INSox56
01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I dunno guys...I think this could be a good thing. I personally must be the only one (As well as whoever I go to the game with) that really gets tired of her sometimes. Does no one else realize HOW MANY TIMES she plays some variant of "charge!" chants.......it seems like every 2 minutes it's ".....CHARGE!!!" Enough already! geez... She might be great other than that, but it's just so annoying sometimes that it overshadows everything else.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks for your updates Hal. We respect both Nancy and the White Sox / Brooks Boyer. I think the thread can be summed up as follows:

1. We all love Nancy Faust and her work with the White Sox.

2. While we will miss Nancy during night games, we are glad she will play during day games.

3. We hope the White Sox seriously consider an understudy / part time organist to fill in during night games. WSI Army has spoken - 99% want to hear either mostly organ or a mix of organ and DJ music played at the game and I think 1% clicked the wrong choice on accident :)

While casual fans may not be 99% vs. 1% on this issue, it is hard to imagine a significant number of casual fans wanting the DJ music / no organ option we may experience over 50 night games this season.

Nancy Faust is a one in a million talent. So was Frank Thomas. We will play with a new DH this season. Hopefully we also have a night game organist.

And Nancy if you come to WSI, thanks for everything and we hope to see and hear you at the park for many years to come!

FarWestChicago
01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I personally must be the only one (As well as whoever I go to the game with) that really gets tired of her sometimes.Yes, you are.

thomas35forever
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
If this is really happening, I better find a way to go to more day games this season. It's not gonna be the same without her at night games.

Chisox1500
01-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I remember meeting her at a rally for putting a stadium in Addison when I was too little to really care about baseball. She let me sit on next to her as she played a song for the crowd. She was (is) a really sweet lady. I hope that she considers playing for night crowds at big games i.e. clinchers and the playoffs.

C-Dawg
01-23-2006, 08:43 PM

I've taken the survey at the ballpark three or four times, although they have different versions of it, not always relating to the ballgame experience. I know at least a couple times I told them I didn't like the pre-recorded loud rap music that they've been using in place of what could have been more organ music. I wonder if anyone they surveyed said they didn't like the organ music?

TornLabrum
01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I remember meeting her at a rally for putting a stadium in Addison when I was too little to really care about baseball. She let me sit on next to her as she played a song for the crowd. She was (is) a really sweet lady. I hope that she considers playing for night crowds at big games i.e. clinchers and the playoffs.

As I stated in the article, the Sox can call her for big events (clinchers would be included in that I would think) and she will definitely play in any home postseason games we might be involved with.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm glad I logged on from work. (My workday is finished.) I want to emphasize a few of things.

First what Brooks Boyer said is the absolute truth. It was 100% Nancy's idea to reduce her workload for day games only. Nancy preferred that I not give all the reasons in the article, but some of you have hit it right on the head. (I just won't bother to say which ones in order to follow her wishes.)

Second, I would point out that the person who talked about Nancy not wanting to drive all that distance to play 10 minutes a game is way off base. For one thing she probably puts in a good hour of playing time, longer during rain delays. I haven't heard Nancy complain once about the amount of time she is allowed to play. To characterize her as complaining about this is unfair to both her and the White Sox.

Third, Nancy was very forceful in stating how much she has enjoyed and still enjoys working for the Sox. Every time I've interviewed her and the subject of the Sox has come up, she has always emphasized how well they've treated her over the years.

Nancy wants to wind down. I can see why. She's a couple of years older than I am (sorry about that if you're reading this, Nance!), and I'm starting to look at how many years it will be until I retire. It's not that anyone is forcing her out or that she's unhappy about anything. She's just approaching that time in her life.Old??? We could probably run rings around some of these whippersnappers around here.

BainesHOF
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Some people need to get over this. I love Nancy, but she's an organist. We're coming off a World Series title. Go to the games and enjoy the action on the field. If you want to hear good music, buy tickets to the concert of your choice.

What's next, a boycott if the Chevy Pride Crew doesn't have big enough racks this season?

gobears1987
01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Read the thread, and I got off the ledge

ilsox7
01-23-2006, 10:26 PM
As Hawk would say, "This is plan BS."

I'm pissed we won't have Nancy at night games:angry::angry::angry:.

I represent the younger generation of Sox fans. Sox games won't be the same. I guess this means no "Na na na na hey hey goodbye."

I now have a reason to be pissed at the Sox and am not happy. Frank Thomas is my all time favorite player and I'm more upset about this. That says a lot.:mad::mad::mad:

Yea, b/c the Sox had a lot to do with this decision. :rolleyes:

mike squires
01-23-2006, 10:27 PM
My brother said it best today. It's an end of an era. We were lucky to have her as long as we did. She will always be remembered as a staple of Whitesox baseball. An autograph ball that reads: To Mike, Great catch! Nancy Faust, sits on the bottom of me Whitesox shrine.
One memory that stands out was in '90 when the players came back on to the field to say goodbye to the fans. Her rendition of Na Na Hey Hey makes you tear up. There's a scene when the camera shows the players and the old park from a distance, with her organ on the hook...good stuff. She will be missed.

gobears1987
01-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Yea, b/c the Sox had a lot to do with this decision. :rolleyes:My bad, I really should read the whole thread before I post

ilsox7
01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
My bad, I really should read the whole thread before I post

No problem...I am glad it was an issue of not reading the thread rather than having read the thread and still blaming the Sox, as some around here will inevitably do.

gobears1987
01-23-2006, 10:39 PM
If I get surveyed I say this:

Organ only with the exception of thunderstruck for the player intros, you need that canned.

ilsox7
01-23-2006, 10:41 PM
If I get surveyed I say this:

Organ only with the exception of thunderstruck for the player intros, you need that canned.

I agree with this.

Another thing we may not be considering is what the players think about this. Aren't they involved in picking their song and whatnot? Maybe some of them, for reasons unknown, want the DJ.

gobears1987
01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I agree with this.

Another thing we may not be considering is what the players think about this. Aren't they involved in picking their song and whatnot? Maybe some of them, for reasons unknown, want the DJ.Fine, then let the DJ play a song they request when they come up to bat. Have Nancy do the rest. ANd besides, it is about what the fans want, not the players.

soxinem1
01-23-2006, 10:51 PM
I realize that as time goes on things change, but continuity and tradition do matter to me. Back in the 70's and 80's, even my friends who normally were into Van Halen, Whitesnake, and music like that really thought Nancy added more to the sounds of the game than most corny organists did.

Her witty rendition of "You're 16" when a yahoo like Luis Polinia came up to the plate were the types of things I remember. And her "NaNaNaNa" rendition she worked on the last homestand of 1990 was classic. I still listen to that tape from time to time.

To me, White Sox baseball without Nancy is like Roger Bossard not taking care of the grounds anymore. It just does not seem right. I know they have been phasing her away for years now, but not being around for an entire game is not necessary.

Hmmm, Rooney for Farmer, Farmer for Singleton. No Frank on the roster.

Nancy for Black Eyed Peas?

In some ways, we are not off to a good start in 2006.

TheOldRoman
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't get the anger here.
I love Nancy, but I am not angry she is working less. She has more than paid her dues to the fans and the organization, and she certainly deserves the right to wind down her career in a manner which she chooses.

My only gripe is the fact that there will not be another organist for the other games. It will be weird not having Nancy there, but most importantly, it is a foot in the door for the anti-organist movement. As people on here have said before, there were some people in the organization that wanted to get rid of Nancy. If the thought wasn't in their minds, they wouldn't have included questions about organ music into the surveys.

I fear that this may be the opening the Sox need to eliminate the organ completely when Nancy retires. We will have 4-5 games a week this year without an organist. It is a small jump from 5 days a week to 7 days a week. I can accept Nancy retiring, but I can't accept having no organist. I mean, if the graphics person who works the scoreboard and video screen decides to work only on weekends, would they turn the scoreboard off during the week? If Roger Bossard decides to only work weekends, would the infield not get raked throughout the week? They would find someone to do the jobs then. The Sox need to realize it is the same with the organ. The organ is a vital part of the baseball experience.

TornLabrum
01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Let's get real folks. There aren't all that many organ people out there, at least outside of churches or the occasional B-3 player. I doubt if the Sox would be able to find anyone capable of replacing Nancy. It's not that there is an anti-organ movement. It's that the organ just isn't being played anymore. It has been replaced by sampled keyboards.

TheOldRoman
01-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Let's get real folks. There aren't all that many organ people out there, at least outside of churches or the occasional B-3 player. I doubt if the Sox would be able to find anyone capable of replacing Nancy. It's not that there is an anti-organ movement. It's that the organ just isn't being played anymore. It has been replaced by sampled keyboards.
Nobody is capable of replacing Nancy, but they need to keep the organ anyway. It might be hard to find a very good organ player in the Chicago area willing to work 81+ nights a year, but it certainly isn't impossible.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Yes, no musicians exist in the Chicagoland area and if even if they did exist they wouldn't want to be bothered with a paid gig and the exposure of 3 million listeners per year. :rolleyes:

I guess a jackass pressing a button for canned Whitesnake when Chuck Finley pitches is the extent of the creative talent remaining in America circa 2006.

MICROblue
01-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I grew up listening to Nancy. When I hear certain tunes played they always bring back great memories of Old Comiskey, attending ball games with my dad. A great tradition is coming to an end. Can she ever be replaced? No. Can Fisk, Thomas, or any other great player be replaced? No. However, other talent comes along that helps ease the pain. We need another organist to carry on the tradition. So what if it's not the "in" thing today. There will already be over 20,000 people at every game. Keeping some REAL organ music around will not deter ticket sales. I hope to express my views to Brooks this weekend.

TornLabrum
01-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, no musicians exist in the Chicagoland area and if even if they did exist they wouldn't want to be bothered with a paid gig and the exposure of 3 million listeners per year. :rolleyes:

I guess a jackass pressing a button for canned Whitesnake when Chuck Finley pitches is the extent of the creative talent remaining in America circa 2006.

There may be a number of musicians in the area, but there aren't a whole lot of organists. They're a dying breed. Then you have to list the qualifications: be able to come up with witty music for visiting players, etc. Those are just the things that make Nancy unique. Anything less wouldn't hardly be worth it. So that limits you even more...or are you willing to settle for Gary Pressy?

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2006, 03:44 PM
There may be a number of musicians in the area, but there aren't a whole lot of organists. They're a dying breed. Then you have to list the qualifications: be able to come up with witty music for visiting players, etc. Those are just the things that make Nancy unique. Anything less wouldn't hardly be worth it. So that limits you even more...or are you willing to settle for Gary Pressy?They're never going to find another Nancy Faust. They don't have to find another Nancy Faust. They just need to find someone better than the crap canned music. Shouldn't be too hard.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
There may be a number of musicians in the area, but there aren't a whole lot of organists. They're a dying breed. Then you have to list the qualifications: be able to come up with witty music for visiting players, etc. Those are just the things that make Nancy unique. Anything less wouldn't hardly be worth it. So that limits you even more...or are you willing to settle for Gary Pressy?

The choice is not Nancy Faust vs. Gary Pressy. Nancy Faust has already reduced her workload to a handful of ballgames (27 of 81).

The choice is a replacement (including a Frank Pellico or Gary Pressy or a new organist after auditions) or some canned Rap / Pop / Club / Rock music track for a majority of White Sox games (54 of 81).

WSI poll results indicate 99% would prefer all organ music or a 50 / 50% mix. The poll did not stipulate Nancy Faust was the organist.

2005 = Nancy 50% / Club DJ 50%
2006 = Club DJ 100% for 54 games, 50% split for the remainder =

Club DJ 80% for the season, Nancy 20%.

2005 White Sox Baseball - http://whitesoxinteractive.com//ChicagoNancyFaust.rm

2006 White Sox Baseball -
http://www.audiocomedy.net/broadcast/ashleesimpsonbooed.shtml

The time has come to appreciate and fight for baseball organists - http://www.ballparktour.com/Organists.html

Fenway
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
NPR has done a series of features on Baseball Music

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4930465

and on a story on the St Louis organist

"We're going the way of the dodo," confirms long-time Chicago White Sox organist Nancy Faust, who says all but two major-league ballparks had organ players when she won the job as the Sox's keyboardist in 1970. "Now, ball clubs have literally thousands of songs available at the push of a button. Besides, no one expresses an interest in the organ anymore."

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2005-10-05/feature.html

Hangar18
01-24-2006, 04:13 PM
.......... So that limits you even more...or are you willing to settle for Gary Pressy?

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha. Gary Pressy ............ hahhaahahahahaha. Ive been wanting to say this about him, but didnt only because im a musician myself and I think ballpark organists are a special breed, so I kept this to myself. But hes not that good. His sound .........
is BRUTAL.

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2006, 04:18 PM

and on a story on the St Louis organist

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2005-10-05/feature.htmlI hope to hell Nancy didn't decide to hang 'em up because she thought the fans didn't appreciate what she did. That quote makes it sound like she's started to believe the crap Gallas was feeding. I don't care how many thousands of songs they have available at the push of a button, none of them can replace what she does.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-24-2006, 04:25 PM

I always wondered how long they did that at Fenway. I've been to Fenway several times since the late 1990s and Sweet Caroline is always played mid 8th. Neil Diamond is cool and I think it is a good tradition.

Possible night game replacement - Chevy Chase

http://ultrawarp.com/chevy/caddyshack/caddy077.jpg

"I was born to love you
I was born to lick your face
I was born to rub you
But you were born to rub me first.
Why don't we take this to the Patio Section"

Fenway
01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I hope to hell Nancy didn't decide to hang 'em up because she thought the fans didn't appreciate what she did. That quote makes it sound like she's started to believe the crap Gallas was feeding. I don't care how many thousands of songs they have available at the push of a button, none of them can replace what she does.

I know the St Louis organist can whip the crowd into a frenzy by simply playing the old Budweiser jingle

The organist in Philly has been around forever
http://www.paulrichardson.com/img/album_frisky.jpg

http://www.paulrichardson.com/mp3/movin_up.mp3
http://www.paulrichardson.com/real/ballgame1.ram

SouthSide_HitMen
01-24-2006, 04:35 PM
I know the St Louis organist can whip the crowd into a frenzy by simply playing the old Budweiser jingle

The organist in Philly has been around forever

http://www.paulrichardson.com/img/album_frisky.jpg

http://www.paulrichardson.com/mp3/movin_up.mp3
http://www.paulrichardson.com/real/ballgame1.ram

At games at old Veterans Stadium, they had an organist (on keyboard) AT EACH GATE ENTRANCE as well as Paul Richardson on organ for the game.

</IMG>

Fenway
01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
At games at old Veterans Stadium, they had an organist (on keyboard) AT EACH GATE ENTRANCE as well as Paul Richardson on organ for the game.

</IMG>

Richardson was at the gate we came in

carguy247
01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Has ANYBODY thought that MAYBE Nancy dosent want to go to bed past midnight anymore? She IS getting older, and from what I read, lives way out in the western burbs. Kinda long drive from 35th and shields.....

SouthSide_HitMen
01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I hope to hell Nancy didn't decide to hang 'em up because she thought the fans didn't appreciate what she did. That quote makes it sound like she's started to believe the crap Gallas was feeding. I don't care how many thousands of songs they have available at the push of a button, none of them can replace what she does.

Faust, the White Sox organist, says replacing organs with rock songs is costing baseball part of its identity. "We're losing a sound associated with the game," she says. "Now, we're hearing the same music you hear at the shopping malls. There's nothing baseball about it."

soxinem1
01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Faust, the White Sox organist, says replacing organs with rock songs is costing baseball part of its identity. "We're losing a sound associated with the game," she says. "Now, we're hearing the same music you hear at the shopping malls. There's nothing baseball about it."

Sure, she probably wants to reduce her work load because she has only been playing a SMALL, SMALL fraction of what she used to play. To get home everynight at 12:30-1pm after playing six songs has probably worn thin with her.

Hangar18
03-29-2006, 04:20 PM

NO Comment

SouthSide_HitMen
03-29-2006, 05:15 PM
NO Comment

Yes over 100 people on WSI (about 90% IIRC) either wanted 100% organ or the current mix. Too bad we will get choice C - 1/3 Nancy, 2/3 Canned "Jock Rock".

Day games or bust! :cool: