PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds - Where do you bat him?

Jjav829
01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Felipe Alou recently threw out the idea that he might bat Barry Bonds second in the order. The idea behind that would be to get Bonds more at-bats and possibly allow Felipe Alou to get Barry out of games earlier. Bonds, always the consummate team player, says he doesn't want to bat second. So I throw out the question, if you were Felipe Alou, and you were trying to make out the best possible everyday lineup given all the factors, what would you do?

IMO, batting Bonds second is a poor idea. I know Alou wants to get Bonds as many at-bats as possible, but I think you have to maximize those at-bats. Get him up there with men on base more times and allow him to have an impact. I'd rather have Bonds get 40 less plate appearances but come up with men on base 30 more times. If you bat him second, he will often times come to bat in the first with no one on base. He'll also be only two spots behind the pitcher. That's not making the best use of your best hitter.

I think the best lineup for Alou to put out there would be something like:
Durham
Vizquel
Winn
Bonds
Alou
Feliz
Niekro/Sweeney
Matheny

Best case scenario, the Giants hope that Durham, Vizquel and Winn can give them something similar to the Indians lineup of the late 90s with Lofton, Vizquel and Alomar batting ahead of Thome and Ramirez. Maybe the Durham, Vizquel and Winn trio, while obviously not as good as the Indians trio, can have a similar effect on the Giants lineup and bring Bonds up in plenty of RBI opportunities.

SABRSox
01-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Looks good to me. Not only do you want to maximize Bonds AB's, you want to get the guys around him good pitches to hit. Winn and Alou should both benefit from a lineup like that.

beckett21
01-23-2006, 01:01 AM
I'd probably bat him on his bad knee, but I forget which one it is. :D:

buehrle4cy05
01-23-2006, 01:26 AM
The Giants are an old team:
Durham- 34
Vizquel- 38
Winn- 31
Bonds- 41
Alou- 39
Feliz- 30
Niekro/Sweeney- 26/36
Matheny- 35

Don't forget they also have 40-year-old Steve Finely. Whatever lineup Felipe Alou puts out there, its inevitable that it won't last due to injuries.

DSpivack
01-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Can this question being answered with anything besides cleanup?

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Bonds, always the consummate team player, says he doesn't want to bat second.

:tealpolice:

mjharrison72
01-23-2006, 01:10 PM
The guy's on-base percentage was more than .600 his last healthy year, and .442 for his career. Hit him leadoff!

downstairs
01-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I would bat him nowhere.

I would suspend him for life and ban him from baseball.

But, hey, that's just me...

A. Cavatica
01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Seconded.

SoxFan76
01-23-2006, 06:17 PM
:tealpolice:

There are times when the Teal Police are just not needed.

This is one of them.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Well the farce known as the WBC won't have to worry about it. MLB.com is reporting that Bonds on his web site has said he's off the WBC U.S. team (his decision.)

Lip

TheOldRoman
01-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Well the farce known as the WBC won't have to worry about it. MLB.com is reporting that Bonds on his web site has said he's off the WBC U.S. team (his decision.)

Lip
Im sure the Olympic style drug testing, including a blood test for HGH, had NOTHING to do with the decision.

(once again, sarcasm is so blatant that teal is not necessary).

Stroker Ace
01-24-2006, 03:04 PM
I would bat him nowhere.

I would suspend him for life and ban him from baseball.

But, hey, that's just me...Same here.