PDA

View Full Version : How many Sox players should be on the 2006 AL All Star Team?

soxinem1
01-22-2006, 08:54 PM
For all the years, including last year, when so many deserving guys were left off, I say Ozzie sets a franchise record and puts about seven or eight guys on the team, just like Torre and others did!

delben91
01-22-2006, 08:58 PM
After the fan vote, the manager and player votes, and having to have someone for each team, I'm not sure how many spots Ozzie will actually get to fill.

I'm with you though, go ahead and stack it. Hopefully some Sox players will get voted in on their own though, making it easier to get a huge number of players on the team.

HomeFish
01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Hopefully Timo Perez's new team is in the AL.

Chisox003
01-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I remember something Ozzie said last year around the All Star game where he said that if he ever got the chance, he'd take the whole team/coaching staff, or something along those lines.

Anyone else remember this? :?:

DumpJerry
01-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I hope Ozzie throws the ASG so that we'll clinch the WS at home next year. (part teal, part deep pink).

That'll show Bud.

StockdaleForVeep
01-22-2006, 09:08 PM
For all the years, including last year, when so many deserving guys were left off, I say Ozzie sets a franchise record and puts about seven or eight guys on the team, just like Torre and others did!

How bout the amount of sox players deserving it go. I dont want it to be like the yankees or other crap managers who just put buddies\teammates on the all star team. I dont want a .200 borchard on the al reserve because he helped ozzie dig his car out from the snow

soxinem1
01-22-2006, 09:36 PM
How bout the amount of sox players deserving it go. I dont want it to be like the yankees or other crap managers who just put buddies\teammates on the all star team. I dont want a .200 borchard on the al reserve because he helped ozzie dig his car out from the snow

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Nice point! I meant regulars and unappreciated pitchers. I remember Torre taking Stanton one year and I believe he averaged 6-7 NYY players going to the AS Game.

To the victor go the spoils!

FloridaSox
01-22-2006, 09:59 PM
As of today, the answer is none. All Star status is earned once the season begins (and, yes, I hope Ozzie gives the Sox players benefit of the doubt if they deserve it).

NSSoxFan
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
One thing is for sure, there will be more Sox players on the team this year than Red Sox or Yankees.

esbrechtel
01-22-2006, 10:10 PM
the starting 9....:smile:

IlliniSox4Life
01-22-2006, 11:13 PM
My guess for the ones who make it will be:
Buehrle, Contreras, Konerko, Pods and Thome.

The other ones that have a shot at making it are pretty much the rest of the pitching staff, Dye and the Gooch.

Jjav829
01-22-2006, 11:18 PM

Ozzie doesn't get much of a say. The new rules for filling the All-Star team limit the amount of control the manager has over the roster. Ozzie will probably only get to choose something like 2-4 players on his own.

StockdaleForVeep
01-23-2006, 01:18 AM
One thing is for sure, there will be more Sox players on the team this year than Red Sox or Yankees.

Fans control the main starters, and fans favor the yanks and boston over all

Gonna be Jeter, ramirez, damon,posada as locks, and thats 4 starters out of 8 starting positions

BV2005
01-23-2006, 01:48 AM
the 2006 AL starters will be

1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Tadahito Iguchi
3B - Joe Crede
SS - Juan Uribe
C - AJ Peirzynski
RF - Jermain Dye
CF - Brian Anderson
LF - Scott Podsenik

SP - Mark Buehrlee
SP - Jon Garland
SP - Jose Contreas
SP - Freddy Garcia
SP - Javy Vasquez

IlliniSox4Life
01-23-2006, 02:53 AM
the 2006 AL starters will be

1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Tadahito Iguchi
3B - Joe Crede
SS - Juan Uribe
C - AJ Peirzynski
RF - Jermain Dye
CF - Brian Anderson
LF - Scott Podsenik

SP - Mark Buehrlee
SP - Jon Garland
SP - Jose Contreas
SP - Freddy Garcia
SP - Brandon McCarthy

I fixed it for you.

mccombe_35
01-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Ozzie doesn't get much of a say. The new rules for filling the All-Star team limit the amount of control the manager has over the roster. Ozzie will probably only get to choose something like 2-4 players on his own.

Yep. the "Torre rule". Fans vote on the starters, then the players vote on the backups. The manager pretty much then uses the remaining spots to make sure each team is represented.

Baby Fisk
01-23-2006, 09:03 AM
I remember something Ozzie said last year around the All Star game where he said that if he ever got the chance, he'd take the whole team/coaching staff, or something along those lines.

I thought it was the opposite, that Ozzie doesn't like the distraction of the ASG and would prefer minimal involvement for his players.

chisoxmike
01-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Why are we talking about this?

spiffie
01-23-2006, 09:54 AM

Gonna be Jeter, ramirez, damon,posada as locks, and thats 4 starters out of 8 starting positions
I wouldn't be so sure on Posada. If Piazza signs with an AL team, he may make it just out of pure fan inertia.

GregoryEtc
01-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Let's not forget that in years past, we haven't had the attend.... er... the um... fan support... to get Sox voted in on the first ballot. This year, that will not be a problem.

champagne030
01-23-2006, 10:31 AM

You can add Pay-Rod and Matsui. Varitek will start over Posada and that makes it at least 6 of 8 starters.....Guess we can be glad the game is in Pittsburgh or it would be 7 of 9 with Fat Papi at DH.

Hangar18
01-23-2006, 10:33 AM

I agree. Torre abused that rule, and as they say, To The Victor go the Spoils. I want to see as many SOX players as possible on this team.

MisterB
01-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Let's not forget that in years past, we haven't had the attend.... er... the um... fan support... to get Sox voted in on the first ballot. This year, that will not be a problem.

Don't hold your breath on this one. Very few Sox came anywhere near getting voted on last year. Konerko came up about a million short of Teixiera and may close that gap, Iguchi was almost 2 mil behind Brian Roberts, AJ was 2.3 mil behind Varitek, and Pods and Dye were 1.9 and 2.4 mil out respectively for the top 3 for outfielders. I just don't see the Sox making that big of an immediate impact on the national consciousness even with the WS win.

RallyBowl
01-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, Torre ****ed it all up for everyone.

MB
Contreras
Jenks
Thome
Dye
A.J.

No rhyme or reason, just the guys that I think are going to have good enough first halves to warrant consideration.

Baby Fisk
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, Torre ****ed it all up for everyone.

It was Cito Gaston who started down that slope. The 1993 ASG was stacked with seven Jays players.

Madvora
01-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I say it's time to get Cliff Politte on that team!

soxfan13
01-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Yes it was around the all-star break last year. he more or less stated that, if he got to manage the team it would be loaded with his players as a reward for the season before