PDA

View Full Version : *Official* SoxFest 2006 Countdown Thread

Viva Medias B's
01-22-2006, 02:45 PM
We have now entered the week of SoxFest 2006. Within a few days, we ought to get the information of who is attending for sure as well as the autograph and seminar schedules. Even though there are other SoxFest-related threads, let's use this one as the countdown thread.

For starters, I noticed that the weather forecast for this weekend is mild compared to past SoxFest weekends. Highs will be in the 40s instead of the 10s. With this in mind, perhaps sox SoxFest attendees ought to make their presence felt at Studio 5 that weekend. I realize it could be a hard thing to do because the schedule of NBC 5 newscasts from Studio 5 conflict with SoxFest events and unofficial events. Normally, the morning news is broadcast from Studio 5 seven days a week with the early Monday-Friday afternoon news (4:30 and 5:00 p.m. newscasts). There is also an 11:00 a.m. newscast from Studio 5 during the week.

JohnTucker0814
01-22-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty pumped about this years SoxFest! I really really really hope that the entire team from last year will be there. I keep telling myself that it wouldn't be a big deal for Rowand, Blum, etc to be there... heck LaRussa was at our convention last year instead of the Cardinals.

I'm still crossing my fingers!

TornLabrum
01-22-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty pumped about this years SoxFest! I really really really hope that the entire team from last year will be there. I keep telling myself that it wouldn't be a big deal for Rowand, Blum, etc to be there... heck LaRussa was at our convention last year instead of the Cardinals.

Traded players won't be there, I'm sure.

BRDSR
01-22-2006, 04:29 PM

I can't make it this weekend, but it would be really cool to see Blum there. The guy hardly did anything of note for an entire half a season, and then hits the game winner in game 3 of the World Series. He never got to come back to USCF and get his standing ovation. Thats too bad.

ElDuque26
01-22-2006, 04:43 PM
if anyone has any extra tickets that they are willing to sell...hit me up w/ a PM....thanks

chidavid18
01-22-2006, 05:00 PM
If any one has an exrtra ticket for sunday. e-mail me at chidavid18@comcast.net. Thanks. I may have tickets during the season that I will need to sell. I will offer them to you first if you have a sunday sox fest tickets at face value.

WinOrDyeTrying
01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Is there anyway I can sneak in? Maybe I can say that I'm Hawks son...

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I can't make it this weekend, but it would be really cool to see Blum there. The guy hardly did anything of note for an entire half a season, and then hits the game winner in game 3 of the World Series. He never got to come back to USCF and get his standing ovation. Thats too bad.

I would think guys like Blum would return to Comiskey for the Ring Ceremony!

TornLabrum
01-22-2006, 08:10 PM
I would think guys like Blum would return to Comiskey for the Ring Ceremony!

Not if they have a game scheduled that day.

esbrechtel
01-22-2006, 08:59 PM
when are they going to post a schedule of events? Its in a week and they just have "it will be posted closer to the event..." I would like to work on my battle plan...

TornLabrum
01-22-2006, 10:43 PM
when are they going to post a schedule of events? Its in a week and they just have "it will be posted closer to the event..." I would like to work on my battle plan...

I'd guess about Tuesday or Wednesday based on past performance.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 08:22 AM
To help put you in the mindset of SoxFest 2006, here is the link (http://chicagoregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp) to the Hyatt Regency Chicago. You can see photos and take virtual tours of the hotel. Although SoxFest is sold out along with all the SoxFest hotel packages, it looks as of right now (7:22 a.m. on January 23) the hotel otherwise still has hotel rooms available for the weekend if you want to be around the enviornment. Even if you can't get into SoxFest itself, you would be able to partake in unofficial events such as the atrium bar gatherings.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 04:55 PM
If one staying at the Hyatt were to go out to lunch or dinner during SoxFest, what would be a good restaurant to go to? In the past, I used to go to Shula's Steak House (http://www.donshula.com/steakhouse/chicago/) at the nearby Sheraton on Saturday night. It's better than the Hyatt's Stetson's Chop House (http://www.hyatt.com/gallery/stetson/index.html) and the cost was roughly the same IIRC. What other places, steakhouses and non-steakhouses alike, would you recommend?

I want Mags back
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Not if they have a game scheduled that day.

I think our game tuesday might be the only game that day, as everyone but us and the Tribe play on monday. monday is the offday because of the Sunday night game

IlliniSox
01-23-2006, 05:20 PM
To help put you in the mindset of SoxFest 2006, here is the link (http://chicagoregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp) to the Hyatt Regency Chicago. You can see photos and take virtual tours of the hotel. Although SoxFest is sold out along with all the SoxFest hotel packages, it looks as of right now (7:22 a.m. on January 23) the hotel otherwise still has hotel rooms available for the weekend if you want to be around the enviornment. Even if you can't get into SoxFest itself, you would be able to partake in unofficial events such as the atrium bar gatherings.

I was just going to ask this, I see that the itinerary is over at roughly 5 on Saturday:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/community/soxfest.jsp

I always have a blast at the Atrium Bar every year, can I still get in there after Soxfest hours, or will security be looking for a room key?

Iwritecode
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I was just going to ask this, I see that the itinerary is over at roughly 5 on Saturday:

I always have a blast at the Atrium Bar every year, can I still get in there after Soxfest hours, or will security be looking for a room key?

No, you can pretty much walk in off the street and come into the bar.

TheDarkGundam
01-23-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a question, if you are in an autograph line for two people (like say, Jenks and Polite) can you have one guy sign one thing, and the other guy sign something else?

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 07:54 PM

The Atrium Bar is open to the public.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 09:16 PM
The Score will have several remote broadcasts from SoxFest.

Link (http://www.670thescore.com/events/)

INSox56
01-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I have a question, if you are in an autograph line for two people (like say, Jenks and Polite) can you have one guy sign one thing, and the other guy sign something else?

Yeah you can do that. Some will sign more than one thing but don't count on that.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah you can do that. Some will sign more than one thing but don't count on that.

If the line is long and moving slowly, they may restrict you to one item autographed.

esbrechtel
01-23-2006, 10:59 PM
are my chances pretty good for autographs or am i only gonna leave the entrie weekend with one? because of super long lines???? im a soxfest rookie and couldnt be more excited...

MUsoxfan
01-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Question.....

My dad got me the hotel package for Christmas. With that I got a private autograph session and a couple other things in the deal. Does anyone know how that private autograph session works and when it normally is? I'm not a huge autograph hound, but it would be cool to hang out with those guys in a somewhat intimate atmosphere.

salty99
01-23-2006, 11:14 PM
You shoudl have received a special pass for the private autograph session in the mail with all the details. This year it's Jon Garland.

TornLabrum
01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
You shoudl have received a special pass for the private autograph session in the mail with all the details. This year it's Jon Garland.

And the time is Saturday from 3:30-5:00.

MUsoxfan
01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
And the time is Saturday from 3:30-5:00.

Thanks...

salty99
01-23-2006, 11:25 PM
BTW if you don't have the pass you can't get into the session so you better check beforehand. It allows you and 1 guest to get in.

MUsoxfan
01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
BTW if you don't have the pass you can't get into the session so you better check beforehand. It allows you and 1 guest to get in.

I just have this Ticketmaster confirmation sheet. I'm hoping I get all the tickets and passes when I check in. I've never been to Soxfest, so I'll be kinda lost

WCCMIKE
01-23-2006, 11:48 PM
I was wondering i'm going all 3 days and unless there is 2 sox players at a table should i expect about 3 autographs for the whole weekend.I really only want Konerko,Dye and Pods autos:?:

esbrechtel
01-24-2006, 12:18 PM
that was the same question i asked on this and another thread...and all i have heard is get in lines early....any other help?

Uncle_Patrick
01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
The lines for autographs depend on the players. Obviously, popular players have the longest lines. I don't recall who's giving autographs this year, but if its someone like Konerko or Podsednik or Thome, expect a very long wait. However, if its someone like Neal Cotts or Cliff Politte, the wait will probably be a little shorter (it'll still be long, though). There are also chance encounters with players, current and former. The first time I went was in 2003, when they had a room for the All Star game and Ron Kittle was inside. The for an autograph from him was about 5 minutes long.

Personally, I think you miss too much if you spend your whole time waiting for autographs. I haven't done it since my first year there. There is no way to avoid the long lines. You might get lucky and get near the front when a line starts to form, but don't plan on it happening very often.

Iwritecode
01-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I just have this Ticketmaster confirmation sheet. I'm hoping I get all the tickets and passes when I check in. I've never been to Soxfest, so I'll be kinda lost

If you haven't gotten anything in the mail about the private session then you weren't one of the first 250.

It's not really that big of a deal. It just guarantees you a spot in line for that one particular guy during that time period. It's not like he won't be available the rest of the weekend.

Iwritecode
01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
that was the same question i asked on this and another thread...and all i have heard is get in lines early....any other help?

Plan ahead. This means take a look at the schedule and figure out who you want and when.

For example, if you want Jim Thome on Friday, you're probably not going to get Cotts & Politte and you definetly won't get Jenks. You could however still get Podsednik or Pierzynski & Crede.

The bigger names are going to have their lines fill up faster. Dye, Konerko, Thome, Podsednik, etc... Guys like McCarthy, Widger, Anderson and Baines won't be quite as bad but will still fill up.

As soon as one line ends you can start lining up for the next guy on the same stage. Say Thome's line at Stage One is full by 5:30. You can start waiting for Podsednik at that point.

There will be ushers roaming around that will help also.

WCCMIKE
01-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Hows this sound for Friday or am i pushing it and will only make 1.

Konerko 4:45 make sure i'm at least one of the first 100 people then Dye at 8 or is this wishingful thinking.My other question do players allow you to take pictures with them or its so packed they sign and you are on your way

JGarlandrules20
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
My other question do players allow you to take pictures with them or its so packed they sign and you are on your way
Yea, they let you take pictures with them. The soxfest book thing you get says you can't "pose for pictures" but nobody says anything.

Iwritecode
01-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Hows this sound for Friday or am i pushing it and will only make 1.

Konerko 4:45 make sure i'm at least one of the first 100 people then Dye at 8 or is this wishingful thinking.My other question do players allow you to take pictures with them or its so packed they sign and you are on your way

You should be able to get both those.

Most of the guys are pretty cool about pictures. Sometimes the soxfest personell will complain about it but if you are quick (meaning have your camera out and ready to go before you get up there) you can lean in and snap a quick shot. It helps if you have somebody in line with you and they know how to work the camera.

WCCMIKE
01-24-2006, 04:28 PM
I really hope i can get those two cause i'm giving up my other tickets cause my sisters wanna meet pods and garland which is no surprise:D:

WCCMIKE
01-24-2006, 04:45 PM
One more thing if konerko is there at 4:45 what time do doors up cause depending on the time i plan on waiting 3 hours or so before the doors open

Iwritecode
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
One more thing if konerko is there at 4:45 what time do doors up cause depending on the time i plan on waiting 3 hours or so before the doors open

The whole thing starts at 4:00. They'll usually start letting people into the ballroom area around 20-30 minutes before that. Up until then all you can do is wait in line by the stairs.

C-Dawg
01-24-2006, 05:06 PM
The first time I went was in 2003, when they had a room for the All Star game and Ron Kittle was inside. The for an autograph from him was about 5 minutes long.

Last year, Kevin Hickey was in the Garage Sale room, and he almost seemed to beg for a chance to give autographs. "Hey anyone remember me? I was on the '83 team - Care for an autograph?".

esbrechtel
01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
does this sound possible? konerko at 445...then AJ and Joe at 7 on the same stage?

TornLabrum
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
does this sound possible? konerko at 445...then AJ and Joe at 7 on the same stage?

Yes.

Brian26
01-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Definitely possible...but that might be your whole night.

JGarlandrules20
01-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Three things:
I plan on getting in the Cotts/Politte line early and then the Garland/Widger line, after that I want to go to the seminar w/ BMac and Anderson which starts at 8. Would that work time-wise..?

What would the seminar "A Day in the Life" be about, exactly? How easy is it to get autographs after seminars?

If I'm not mistaken, it's JERMAINE DYE's bday on saturday, so everyone going that day wish him a happy birthday and stuff!

Palehose13
01-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Three things:
I plan on getting in the Cotts/Politte line early and then the Garland/Widger line, after that I want to go to the seminar w/ BMac and Anderson which starts at 8. Would that work time-wise..?

What would the seminar "A Day in the Life" be about, exactly? How easy is it to get autographs after seminars?

If I'm not mistaken, it's JERMAINE DYE's bday on saturday, so everyone going that day wish him a happy birthday and stuff!

I prefer to get autographs at the seminars. I've never stood in an autograph line.

"A day in the life" will be something like the guys talking about what their everyday lives are like. IIRC, last year it was Politte, Crede, and ??? Things like what they do when they get home, what time they go to bed/wake up, when they get to the park, etc.

WCCMIKE
01-24-2006, 11:37 PM
The whole thing starts at 4:00. They'll usually start letting people into the ballroom area around 20-30 minutes before that. Up until then all you can do is wait in line by the stairs.So is getting there at 12 a pretty sure bet i will be one of the first say 100 people or so:?:

Brian26
01-24-2006, 11:39 PM
"A day in the life" will be something like the guys talking about what their everyday lives are like. IIRC, last year it was Politte, Crede, and ???

I think Gload was in that one.

Iwritecode
01-25-2006, 01:46 AM
So is getting there at 12 a pretty sure bet i will be one of the first say 100 people or so:?:

Depends on how many other people have the same idea. :wink:

Iwritecode
01-25-2006, 01:52 AM
I prefer to get autographs at the seminars. I've never stood in an autograph line.

The thing about waiting in line is that you are guaranteed an autograph. Plus you get a chance to take a pic and chat with them for a minute. Kelly Wunsch was definitely a talker and it was nice to shake Frank Thomas' hand and get a picture of him and me. It's a good thing I did when I did because who knows when he'll be back to another Soxfest...

I also got to ask Cliff Politte why he signs left-handed. That one kinda threw me. :cool:

Any players I get to meet/sign in the bars or seminars are just bonuses.

filmnews
01-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Last year, I got some 25 autographs. I went all three days, and planned my schedule very well. This will be my 4th time at soxfest, and I have worked almost every angle. I got Tony Larussa's autograph twice last year. I got one after his seminar, and one when he was going to get in a cab. His line was really big last year. I was able to get Ozzie and Cora, when they were walking away from his autograph line. I tried to get A.J. while he was walking, but he would not. I also get a lot of autographs in the bar. Will there be a party on Friday night, like they had two years ago with Kelly Wunsch and Jack McDowell?

filmnews
01-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Also, where is Mark Buehrle? I still have not got his autograph.