PDA

View Full Version : White Sox In The White House!!

nomo2514
01-22-2006, 12:44 PM
I just read that the Sox are going to visit the White House the second week of February. As a die hard sox fan in DC, does any one have any ideas of how I could get to the ceremony?? Thanks, and GO SOX!!

kittle42
01-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Well, I guess that conspiracy can be put to rest.

Joosh
01-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I just read that the Sox are going to visit the White House the second week of February. As a die hard sox fan in DC, does any one have any ideas of how I could get to the ceremony?? Thanks, and GO SOX!!

Uh... high level security clearance?

batmanZoSo
01-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Travel back in time and make the playoff roster. Hit a home run in extra innings of Game 3 of the World Series. :dunno:

downstairs
01-22-2006, 12:59 PM
does any one have any ideas of how I could get to the ceremony?? Thanks, and GO SOX!!

I believe you'd need to be elected President of the United States by a majority of electoral college votes.

Or, be employed by the Chicago White Sox.

:cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
01-22-2006, 01:05 PM
He could join the secret service.

Or he could become that purple mutant from X-Men 2

nomo2514
01-22-2006, 01:24 PM
People do go to those things usually, not just the president, you know...

SOXintheBURGH
01-22-2006, 01:28 PM
I believe you'd need to be elected President of the United States by a majority of electoral college votes.

Or, be employed by the Chicago White Sox.

:cool:

http://gblx.cache.el-mundo.net/especiales/2003/11/imagenes_simpson/bush.jpg

"These are Presidential Pajamas. You have to be President. And you're not President."

BV2005
01-22-2006, 01:47 PM
just take a tour of the white house that day

LongLiveFisk
01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
just take a tour of the white house that day

Sounds like a good idea but there may be no tour on that day (just a thought!). Isn't there a website like whitehouse.gov that you can go on to check into something like this?

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Or, be employed by the Chicago White Sox. :cool:

Seems we have a fair amount of folks that are throwing out comments about getting into the White House for an event that do not have a DC area address. Sort of like Cubs fans talking about baseball -- tune them out.

As a native Illinoisan, Sox fan, and now Washingtonian, there are ways to get to these events.

One of way may be to make contact with your Congressman (Congresswoman) or Senator. They may have access. Keep in mind that many of their staffers may want to attend as well as hangers on. Connected Illinoisan GOPers will have an excellent shot.

If you know of any lobbyists who are connected to the WH would be a good source.

Illinoisan journalists is a good source too.

And the ultimate would be to know someone on W's staff.

IIRC the original poster is a student at GW, check with a prof who might have the same interests (sports / baseball / and political connections). You might find that said prof has a former student working in the WH or on the Hill who could help.

So ignore the :dtroll: that do not know DC and I will refrain from giving advice on things I do not know.

:tongue:

And if anyone does find out info on the WH visit by all means post here so those of us who live nearby could perhaps slip out of work and enjoy the fruits of cheering for the best team in baseball in 2005... and 2006 ;)

skobabe8
01-22-2006, 07:58 PM

You're the one in D.C. You tell us!

DumpJerry
01-22-2006, 09:12 PM
What is the date of the visit?

34rancher
01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Who goes? Does Aaron go? Does Blum go? El Duque? Viz? Timo? Willie? I would pay to be a fly on the wall if they all got back together...

lumpyspun
01-22-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm sure Jack Abramoff could hook it up for you!

SoxFan64
01-23-2006, 02:55 AM

Not any more! :o:

Hokiesox
01-23-2006, 09:39 AM

Sorry. You can't. The closest you'll get is standing outside the gates and peering in. That's if it's done outside too.

SoxEd
01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I thought we'd never see the Palehouse at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave...

Wasn't one of the last things Dick Nixon said as POTUS "...there can be no White Sox at the White House"?

Alright, I know; "enough with the 'comedy' already!". Sorry.

oldcomiskey
01-23-2006, 09:03 PM
I bet Bainsey dont go

LongLiveFisk
01-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I bet Bainsey dont go

Baines lives in Md. so his azz better be there. :redneck

anotherDCsoxfan
02-09-2006, 09:32 AM
This morning the White House officially announced a Monday visit

fuzzy_patters
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM

Who is Jack, and why would I want to?

Rooney4Prez56
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
This morning the White House officially announced a Monday visit

Bush has to clear out his Astros and Rangers stuff hanging in the Oval Office.

doublem23
02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
If JR is there, ten bucks says George Bush cracks a joke about they have something in common; they both traded Sammy Sosa. :rolleyes:

everafan
02-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I read that Aaron is going, Frank is not, Ozzie is not (he has a previous engagement in the DR). As of yesterday they were still saying it was tentatively scheduled.

HotelWhiteSox
02-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Pods will also be MIA, honeymoon

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 01:40 PM

Email Dick Durbin, Luis Gutierrez or Barack Obama. Im sure they can help .....

mjharrison72
02-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Seems we have a fair amount of folks that are throwing out comments about getting into the White House for an event that do not have a DC area address. Sort of like Cubs fans talking about baseball -- tune them out.

One of way may be to make contact with your Congressman (Congresswoman) or Senator. They may have access. Keep in mind that many of their staffers may want to attend as well as hangers on. Connected Illinoisan GOPers will have an excellent shot.

Just a point of contention, but as a former resident of the District, I would like to point out that they have but a single non-voting delegate in Congress, and no senators. I understand you meant to tell him to contact his HOME representative or senator, but many people don't know this about the District itself.

Chip Z'nuff
02-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Kenny WIllimas considered a boycott because he disagrees with Bush on the war in Iraq, Also Bad Bobby is not going for "undisclosed reasons".
It's all in the suntimes article.

roylestillman
02-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Anybody know if any station is covering this live Monday? CLTV, Comcast, or CSPAN?

kevin57
02-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Those Sox not going to the White House is causing a firestorm in sports talk radio this morning. For the most part, I think it's bogus. To wit:

1. "Ozzie should be there, no matter what the excuse. He's the face of the White Sox." It was the White House which has made setting a date so hard to set. I respect Ozzie for not canceling this time with wife and family.

2. "Yeah, Pods is on his honeymoon; others have other engagements. Still, the Sox and the White House should have arranged a date when everyone could have been there." Hmm...have you ever tried to organize any event involving twenty + persons? Good luck at trying to get them all together!

3. "Kenny Williams had to consider whether to attend because of his dispute over the Iraq war." This is a legitimate criticism, IMO. Anyone can find any policy point to object to regarding any particular president. That should not enter into one's decision to go or not to.

Steelrod
02-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Those Sox not going to the White House is causing a firestorm in sports talk radio this morning. For the most part, I think it's bogus. To wit:

1. "Ozzie should be there, no matter what the excuse. He's the face of the White Sox." It was the White House which has made setting a date so hard to set. I respect Ozzie for not canceling this time with wife and family.

2. "Yeah, Pods is on his honeymoon; others have other engagements. Still, the Sox and the White House should have arranged a date when everyone could have been there." Hmm...have you ever tried to organize any event involving twenty + persons? Good luck at trying to get them all together!

3. "Kenny Williams had to consider whether to attend because of his dispute over the Iraq war." This is a legitimate criticism, IMO. Anyone can find any policy point to object to regarding any particular president. That should not enter into one's decision to go or not to.
Just wondering why it took to mid february for this to happen. Do you think the President lost the telephone number to the White Sox locker room in HOUSTON, TEXAS ! I guess that would explain why he didn't make the customary call that a president makes to the winning team!!!!!

maurice
02-10-2006, 01:36 PM
JR responded to the overblown criticism this morning:
- It's impossible to schedule a time when everybody can make it
- Ozzie went to the White House when the Marlins won, so it's nothing personal
- Ozzie has been extremely busy, and this is his last chance to spend leisure time with his wife
- Podsednik is on his honeymoon
- The first time the Bulls won, Jordan was elsewhere

The Sox-hating Chicago media simply can't restrain themselves.

miker
02-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Email Dick Durbin, Luis Gutierrez or Barack Obama. I'm sure they can help .....
It's about time they did something for us...

Guillen13
02-10-2006, 04:01 PM
What is the date of the visit?

My friend, who is close to the Daley family, said that Mayor Daley was going to be in DC on Monday 2/13 for the visit!

Viva Medias B's
02-10-2006, 06:36 PM
The Sox-hating Chicago media simply can't restrain themselves.

You know it!

thomas35forever
02-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Silvy and Carmen were talking about this a lot during the first part of their show. Anyway, I just find it annoying that guys are turning down what could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet the President of the United States.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060209&content_id=1309231&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Here is an article. I had the Score on this morning and they said Scott was going to the Auto Show for a paid appearance this weekend and they questioned why he could go to that but not the White House.

I looked up the Auto Show schedule and he will be there next Thursday. This whole "controversy" is bogus - just the lame local media stirring up **** because they are to lazy to do real journalism.

The last time I listened to the Score was during SoxFest and they said Podsednik was going to play CF this year. Now I know why I rarely listen to this garbage.

csufsoxfan
02-10-2006, 09:33 PM
whether they choose to go or not is their own decision none of the medias business

FoulTerritory
02-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Sometimes the sports media is just pathetic. I don't think this is about bias against the White Sox though. Here is what the "firestorm" is about: Its february, and these oafs on sportstalk can't be bothered to find anything else to talk about because there are no premium sporting events happening. To me it sounded like a, "oh ****, there is virtually no news in baseball or football today, what do we do??? lets just rant about Ozzie not going to the white house for the next 12 hours. Its an easy way to fill the air time." What a bunch of hacks.

I have to say that today's sports radio has honestly ranked among the absolute most boring inane uninteresting radio in history. I'm a moron for even listening for the marginal amount of time I did.

When Jordan didn't go to the W.H. in 91 there was a passing mention of it as mildly strange and unprofessional, and then the media went on to talk about things with actual substance and everyone forgot about it.

Would I skip the white house . . . no. Do I think its a little mildly unprofessional of Ozzie to not go. Maybe, depending on the real circumstance. But why in the hell does the media think I should care enough to warrant devoting an entire day of coverage to it. Who cares? Just report it and move on. Man, the sports blab culture has gone quite astray imho.

TheOldRoman
02-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Sometimes the sports media is just pathetic. I don't think this is about bias against the White Sox though. Here is what the "firestorm" is about: Its february, and these oafs on sportstalk can't be bothered to find anything else to talk about because there are no premium sporting events happening. To me it sounded like a, "oh ****, there is virtually no news in baseball or football today, what do we do??? lets just rant about Ozzie not going to the white house for the next 12 hours. Its an easy way to fill the air time." What a bunch of hacks.

I have to say that today's sports radio has honestly ranked among the absolute most boring inane uninteresting radio in history. I'm a moron for even listening for the marginal amount of time I did.

When Jordan didn't go to the W.H. in 91 there was a passing mention of it as mildly strange and unprofessional, and then the media went on to talk about things with actual substance and everyone forgot about it.

Would I skip the white house . . . no. Do I think its a little mildly unprofessional of Ozzie to not go. Maybe, depending on the real circumstance. But why in the hell does the media think I should care enough to warrant devoting an entire day of coverage to it. Who cares? Just report it and move on. Man, the sports blab culture has gone quite astray imho.

:thumbsup:

Martinigirl
02-11-2006, 08:25 AM
What the media seems to forget is that this is a free country. If Ozzie decided not to go, I don't care what the reason, it is his right, and it is truly no one elses business.

I really don't see the big deal about this, and I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone is offended by him not going. It is his choice, and he chooses to spend time with his family. That hardly makes him unpatriotic, it makes him a good husband and father.

soxstarter
02-11-2006, 08:59 AM
From what I understand, a couple of different dates had been set that didn't work (for the White House or the White Sox..I don't know which) but at this late date, I could certainly understand Ozzie wanting to spend time with his family before Spring Training starts. It was a long season...with the possibility of another long season ahead (Go Sox!)

I think if Daley hadn't pointed out the possible absence of Ozzie at the ceremony....it wouldn't even be an issue.

Other opinions from the Core?

kitekrazy
02-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Silvy and Carmen were talking about this a lot during the first part of their show. Anyway, I just find it annoying that guys are turning down what could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet the President of the United States.

Naw, most of them are just planning on going next year.

I agree to some point. But we don't walk in the player's shoes. Remember they had an extended season. WShen you are the World Champs I'm sure it's a shocker how much privacy they've lost.

Their phones are probably always ringing for endorsements and interviews. SPring traing is just around the corner and they all probably haven't had a break from being Champs and they want to be human just like everyone else.

The players can't bring their families. For some it's probably bad timing.

Ozzie hasn't had a break and now that he's home he is probably busy as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of media people that will try to politicize this as much as possible.

Our team won the World Series. Why should we care. Part of me still forgets the Sox are World Champs.

kevin57
02-11-2006, 09:17 AM
There are a few comments in the thread, "White Sox in the White House."

I concur with your comments, but I don't blame even Daley for the 'uproar.' It occupied a lot of the talk on WSCR and ESPN 1000 yesterday. IMO, this 'uproar' was more a tempest in the teapot. I thought that JR handled the issue pretty well yesterday with Mike North who was absolutely volcanic about Guillen not being there.

Steelrod
02-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Don't really care. Was surprised the President didn't call the clubhouse after the win, or anytime after. After all, this is 3 1/2 months after the fact. One more week starts spring training for the following year.

Save McCuddy's
02-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Couldn't care less.

Fenway
02-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Ozzie explains

http://suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox11.html

"Spending time with my wife and family [is] more important than a couple of hours with the president,'' Guillen told the Sun-Times. "I'm sure Mr. Bush would understand because I know how important his family is to him. I care about my family and my baseball players.''

Guillen said he would have considered interrupting his vacation if his family could join him on the Sox' visit. But chairman Jerry Reinsdorf decided the trip to Washington will be restricted to the team's regular traveling party of players, coaches, trainers, equipment managers and top front-office officials, such as general manager Ken Williams.
"I decided wives and children wouldn't be invited,'' Reinsdorf said during an appearance on WSCR-AM (670). "If we had too big a party, it wouldn't be very intimate.''

Dan H
02-11-2006, 10:07 AM
What the media seems to forget is that this is a free country. If Ozzie decided not to go, I don't care what the reason, it is his right, and it is truly no one elses business.

I really don't see the big deal about this, and I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone is offended by him not going. It is his choice, and he chooses to spend time with his family. That hardly makes him unpatriotic, it makes him a good husband and father.

I agree with this totally. This is the United States of America not the old Soviet Union.

These trips to the White House are just fluff anyway. I'd rather see the President do what he is elected to do: Run the country. Leave this dumb stuff to an underling.

kittle42
02-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I can't figure out why anyone cares so much about this non-story. The Northwestern lacrosse team or whatever they were who were wearing flip-flops was a better and more meaningful story - and that's saying a lot.

SoxFanPrope
02-11-2006, 12:16 PM

Very great post. Remember a lot of people congradulated Mark Chumura for what he said about Clinton...how'd that turn out for Mark? IMHO, if anyone gets on Ozzie's case, then they should be mad at Podsednik and Jenks because they are not going.

Layla
02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
I was listening to the Score yesterday afternoon, and this whole thing was the major topic.

And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. The man is with his family, getting some well deserved off time.

itsnotrequired
02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
The Northwestern lacrosse team or whatever they were who were wearing flip-flops was a better and more meaningful story - and that's saying a lot.

That is saying a lot. Another classic non-issue.

Martinigirl
02-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Very great post. Remember a lot of people congradulated Mark Chumura for what he said about Clinton...how'd that turn out for Mark? IMHO, if anyone gets on Ozzie's case, then they should be mad at Podsednik and Jenks because they are not going.

And instead of going to the White House, Chumura went on Rush Limbaugh's (sp?) show, blasting the President. But somehow I think a lot of the people complaining about Ozzie not going are the ones that though Chumura was fantastic for doing what he did.

I don't care why anyone goes or doesn't go. They are free to do what they want, and that is what makes this a great country.

TDog
02-11-2006, 07:21 PM
... Remember a lot of people congradulated Mark Chumura for what he said about Clinton...how'd that turn out for Mark? ...

I lived in Wisconsin for four years, and the only Green Bay Packer I could name is Mark Chmura because on April 10, 2000, (overshadowing the Brewers' opening day festivities) he was in a Waukesha County jail after hanging out with high school girls in a hot tub after their prom.

davenicholson
02-11-2006, 07:26 PM
And instead of going to the White House, Chumura went on Rush Limbaugh's (sp?) show, blasting the President. But somehow I think a lot of the people complaining about Ozzie not going are the ones that though Chumura was fantastic for doing what he did.
:?:
:cleo
You tryin' out for my job?

Seriously, it *is* a free country and all. However, even though, as many folks who were around for the glory days of the PI Board know, I'm about as right as they come, I would be thrilled and honored to meet the President of the United States, even if it was Clinton holding the office at the time. No matter what his or her first name happened to be! :wink:

TheOldRoman
02-11-2006, 08:14 PM
But somehow I think a lot of the people complaining about Ozzie not going are the ones that though Chumura was fantastic for doing what he did.
Yet somehow, you are very wrong. This isn't outrage coming from any particular group of regular citizens. This story was created by the MEDIA. The sports media has nothing to talk about in February (do many people get into heated conversations about the Olympics?), and that is why they made a mountain out of a molehill. They knew it was a touchy subject because it involves politics, so people would read their article or listen to their talkshow. I mean, as soon as Chicagosports.com put their article up, they put up a poll "shoul Ozzie go anyway?". It was saying to the people "This is a huge controversy! Please read more".

Martinigirl
02-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Yet somehow, you are very wrong. This isn't outrage coming from any particular group of regular citizens. This story was created by the MEDIA. The sports media has nothing to talk about in February (do many people get into heated conversations about the Olympics?), and that is why they made a mountain out of a molehill. They knew it was a touchy subject because it involves politics, so people would read their article or listen to their talkshow. I mean, as soon as Chicagosports.com put their article up, they put up a poll "shoul Ozzie go anyway?". It was saying to the people "This is a huge controversy! Please read more".

I wasn't commenting on anything on this board (which is why I put 'a lot' of people, not everyone) but on callers to the Score yesterday. The callers seemed to have a very obvious political slant when they were ripping into Ozzie. And the frustrating part about it was B&B kept yapping for Sox fans to get over it, the Sox won the World Series and the fans shouldn't worry about something as stupid as this. The point may have had some validity if it wasn't so blantantly obvious that the people doing the complaining weren't Sox fans...they were either people who were looking at things to rip the Sox about, or people who were in a tizzy over not going to see this president.

And while the who ha was created by the media, there are actually people getting their knickers in quite the twist over something most people think is no big deal.

bahn1225
02-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Two Points:

Look at your calendars.
What month is it?
The "professional" yappers on radio must fill there air shift with something.
What would you rather do?
A. Talk about the last place Bulls?
B. The next to last place Blackhawks?
C. Or Ozzie?

The real story here is Bobby Jenks.
"undisclosed personal reasons"
What's up with that?

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2006, 09:26 PM
I cannot take seriously a media outlet that gets basic facts wrong, such as this:

One team that still cherishes the thought of giving the president a jersey during a White House ceremony is the 1985 Bears, whose hastily scheduled visit was canceled in January 1986 when the space shuttle Challenger exploded eight days after their Super Bowl victory.

from this article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-g4m261cib.35feb12,1,173757.story?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines).

The Bears won the Super Bowl on Jan. 26, 1986. The Challenger exploded Jan. 28, 1986. Two days later. Not eight.

I don't blame David Haugh; I'm sure he wasn't writing for the Trib in 1986 and his error can be excused. But that's why big metro daily papers are supposed to employ copy editors. To not fix such an obvious mistake makes many of us wonder how many other factual errors make it into the Trib every day. I'm no tin-foil hat wearer, but this smells like the Tribune is so desperate to get out a Sox/Ozzie bashing article that they didn't even bother to have their fact checker review the story.

TheOldRoman
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I wasn't commenting on anything on this board (which is why I put 'a lot' of people, not everyone) but on callers to the Score yesterday. The callers seemed to have a very obvious political slant when they were ripping into Ozzie. And the frustrating part about it was B&B kept yapping for Sox fans to get over it, the Sox won the World Series and the fans shouldn't worry about something as stupid as this. The point may have had some validity if it wasn't so blantantly obvious that the people doing the complaining weren't Sox fans...they were either people who were looking at things to rip the Sox about, or people who were in a tizzy over not going to see this president.

And while the who ha was created by the media, there are actually people getting their knickers in quite the twist over something most people think is no big deal.
Well, I didn't listen to sports radio yesterday. I do know, however, that this is what B&B wanted to happen. They wanted to turn it political, and when it turned political they egged people on. Either them or some of the callers started steering it down the political path. It would be one thing if it WAS a political statement, but it isn't. Boers and Bernstein knew that within an hour of the start of their show it would turn into a referendum on the war. You would have very extreme people from both sides calling up and making a political debate. At that point, many people will keep listening. They not only want to hear this points of the "debate', but also which callers make bigger asses of themselves.
Without listening to the show, I can say in 100% confidence that for every person calling out Ozzie for not going there was one person praising him for not going to see this particular president.

PeteWard
02-11-2006, 10:20 PM

Why would that annoy you? It's their decision, not yours.

Chuckster49
02-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks, wsi'ers, for keeping me off the ledge. After listening to The Score rant about this strange subject for two days, I was ready to believe that Sox fans had gone nuts. I heard one caller say that Ozzie not seeing the president "tainted the World Series victory" for him and Chicago. This guy seemed to be a Sox fan, albeit a dense one.

Look, there is nothing more American than doing what you think is right regardless of what the majority thinks. Ozzie is A+ in my book for wanting to spend time with his family just before the start of Spring Training. If there is one thing B&B were correct about it is the prevailing attitude of jingoism by some in this country. I'm tired of the chest thumping patriotism and the things Americans "must" do to be Americans. Anyone that says Ozzie must go see the president since he's and American citizen now just missed question 1a on the citizenship exam. (And yes, people are saying this)

Anyway, thanks WSI for reminding me that the core fans are rational people too.

havelj
02-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Are they even going now with the storm in the northeast?

Layla
02-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Are they even going now with the storm in the northeast?

Now, that would be funny.

All this hollering over something that could get cancelled due to weather?

I'm sure some how, some way, it would be Ozzie's fault.

Cellview22
02-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Anyone know when and what channel will have the most live coverage of the team at the White House?

I have the day off, so I'm gonna try not to miss any of it. :bandance:

MySoxAreClean
02-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I just read that the Sox are going to visit the White House the second week of February. As a die hard sox fan in DC, does any one have any ideas of how I could get to the ceremony?? Thanks, and GO SOX!! HOPEFULLY Dick Cheney not around, I want our guys safe!:(:

havelj
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=153964

"Four players from the Dominican Republic — shortstop Juan Uribe, utility man Pablo Ozuna, relief pitcher Luis Vizcaino and outfielder Timo Perez — won’t be making the trip due to the inclement weather.
The heavy snow also factored into reliever Dustin Hermanson, infielder Geoff Blum and TV broadcaster Ken “Hawk’’ Harrelson missing the trip to the White House."

Realist
02-13-2006, 11:17 AM

"Four players from the Dominican Republic — shortstop Juan Uribe, utility man Pablo Ozuna, relief pitcher Luis Vizcaino and outfielder Timo Perez — won’t be making the trip due to the inclement weather.
The heavy snow also factored into reliever Dustin Hermanson, infielder Geoff Blum and TV broadcaster Ken “Hawk’’ Harrelson missing the trip to the White House."

That's a bummer. :(:

Hangar18
02-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Ozzie explains

http://suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox11.html

Thats exactly what I said before. Hes mad because his wife cant come along. He said he had a "previous" engagement. Poppycock. I think the Chairman was correct in his Players Only edict.

AZChiSoxFan
02-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Sometimes the sports media is just pathetic.

Man, the sports blab culture has gone quite astray imho.

Sometimes???? How about 99% of the time.

AZChiSoxFan
02-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm no tin-foil hat wearer, but this smells like the Tribune is so desperate to get out a Sox/Ozzie bashing article that they didn't even bother to have their fact checker review the story.

What makes you believe that the Tribune even has a fact checker?

FoulTerritory
02-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Sometimes???? How about 99% of the time.

I stand corrected!

SoLongFrank
02-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Slezak argued in favor of Ozzie's decision & Imrem against. Slezak failed to mention that Ozzie said he would go if he could bring the family. But JR ruled against that.

I think JR was wrong in that decision. They might never get this opportunity again & it's as big a deal for their family as it is for the player. IMO, the team should have said "sure why not?" & let the White House admin make the final ruling.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/imrem.asp?id=153944
Imrem doesn't mention anything about Ozzie's "can I bring the family?" option either. IMO, that sets Ozzie apart.

White Sox Randy
02-13-2006, 01:08 PM
The media has been hiding the real reason for Ozzie not showing up at the White House. Dick Cheney shot his ass.

JGarlandrules20
02-13-2006, 01:14 PM

That's too bad. All this uproar and there'll be like 2 players there, lolol.

When are they scheduled to actually meet the president, anyone know?

itsnotrequired
02-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Looks like CLTV is broadcasting it right now. You can also watch it online at the Trib website.

ChiSoxGirl
02-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Looks like CLTV is broadcasting it right now. You can also watch it online at the Trib website.

Thanks for the info.; I'm streaming right now! Good thing I'm done teaching for the day! :bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
02-13-2006, 01:34 PM

Sweet I was about to ask about anyone knowing a channel that would show it. I think the Score said it would start around 1:30, so it should start now

itsnotrequired
02-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info.; I'm streaming right now! Good thing I'm done teaching for the day! :bandance:

I just happened to catch it on the Trib homepage. Unfortunetly, I'm at work so I have to jump back and forth.:D:

It's Time
02-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Aaron is there. That has got to be tough.

Cellview22
02-13-2006, 01:38 PM
It's live on CNN right now. This is sweet!

JGarlandrules20
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Aw, they all look so cute and professional in their suits.

Good thing I stayed home today. :smile:

HotelWhiteSox
02-13-2006, 01:40 PM
This is awesome

ChiSoxGirl
02-13-2006, 01:45 PM
How fitting that one of the faces of our ballclub is standing right behind the President! :bandance:

It's Time
02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Everett and Harris are there as well.

itsnotrequired
02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
George Bush signs with White Sox. Will wear No. 1 next season.

:redneck

salty99
02-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Can someone put a link up?

Cellview22
02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I was watching CNN's coverage, and the desk anchor admitted she didn't know 1 player on the team. She had to ask the guys working the cameras, and they could only name 2, so she didn't feel too bad. Don't remember who she was, not gonna look it up. It was pretty cool though that CNN and FOX News were showing live coverage.

SOXPHILE
02-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Very cool. I broke a rule of mine and actually was listening to Murph to hear it, but then I found out about the live feed online, and watched it too (the feed was about 5 or 6 seconds ahead of the radio). Again, it all seemed surreal to see the guys standing behind the president in the East Room of the White House. I mean, how cool is this ?! I like how Bush kinda seemed (at least to me) to defuse the whole Ozzie "scandal" by mentioning he understood he had plans with his family, which is very important, and being a Carribean guy, with all the weather in the northeast, he understood why he wouldn't wanna come anyway. All in all, I thought it was very classy and cool.

A.T. Money
02-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Anyone think there will be any replays tonight? My Internet connection at work sucks so I couldn't really see everything, but I could hear it. I'd love to Tivo it.

SOXPHILE
02-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Forgot to mention, you could hear the jelousy in Murph's voice when he described what was going on every few minutes. Good. Suck on it Murph, you Cub lovin' turd.

A.T. Money
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Forgot to mention, you could hear the jelousy in Murph's voice when he described what was going on every few minutes. Good. Suck on it Murph, you Cub lovin' turd.
LOL:supernana:

roylestillman
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
For those who couldn't see/hear, the best line came when "W" acknowledged Farmio in the audience - to the applause of exactly one person. To which the pres ad-libbed "Well there, one guy remembers ya."

Cubsuck_a_lot
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Michael Jordan never went to the White House

chisoxmike
02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
where's the link on the trib's website?

edit: nevermind. way past the time.

itsnotrequired
02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Michael Jordan never went to the White House

I thought he didn't go the first time but went the second time.

IlliniSox
02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
JD, GWB, PK:

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060213/capt.efd7d98285404a429eee6b669148b650.bush_white_s ox_whre106.jpg?x=380&y=282&sig=vLIXHakc2JePj1irt1hB8w--

IlliniSox
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060213/capt.0508fdcb926f401a8a3b3053601c4baa.bush_white_s ox_whre107.jpg?x=380&y=238&sig=345FKday3a6TLuZYH2Pz4A--

IlliniSox
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Video:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=sports&id=3903056

salty99
02-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the link!

WCCMIKE
02-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I really thought they should have showed a shot of the whole team while bush was talking instead of El duque for 10 mins but owell.

Cubsuck_a_lot
02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I thought he didn't go the first time but went the second time.

Ozzie went the first time, but not the second

HotelWhiteSox
02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060213/capt.0508fdcb926f401a8a3b3053601c4baa.bush_white_s ox_whre107.jpg?x=380&y=238&sig=345FKday3a6TLuZYH2Pz4A--

Let's play know your White Sox:

Garland, AJ, Crede, Cotts, Contreras, Anderson?
McCarthy, Crazy Carl, Borchard, ? , Widger, El Duque
Willie, Aaron, Dye, and Politte

One question mark and one questionable. I had also exchanged, Contreras for Crazy Carl at first, lol

HotelWhiteSox
02-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Ozzie went the first time, but not the second

He's talking about Jordan

Jjav829
02-13-2006, 04:07 PM

One question mark and one questionable. I had also exchanged, Contreras for Crazy Carl at first, lol

The question mark is actually Buehrle. It's tough to tell from that shot, but this one (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=56816686mw002_president_bus&prov=getty) clears things up.

BTW, I don't even know how to describe how cool it is seeing the White Sox in the White House. :cool::D:

SOXPHILE
02-13-2006, 04:09 PM

I think that's #56 between Widger and Crazy Carl.

[EDIT] Oops ! Sorry Jjav. You got your post in about a minute before I did.

spawn
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
The question mark is actually Buehrle. It's tough to tell from that shot, but this one (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=56816686mw002_president_bus&prov=getty) clears things up.

BTW, I don't even know how to describe how cool it is seeing the White Sox in the White House. :cool::D:
No doubt. That is sweet.

salty99
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM

You forgot Konerko next to Dye. And yes that is Borchard.

LongLiveFisk
02-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Hopefully CLTV will show the replay in its entirety? (I hope?)

Realist
02-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Very classy ceremony. I'm glad the MC did a good job of honoring the spirit of the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox. I was very impressed.

HotelWhiteSox
02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Ohhh yeah, that is Mark, I forget because he was clear as day when watching it on TV. Must've been a brainfart forgetting PK, as he is the most obvious one, I was doing it quickly though :wink:

Yes, that was awesome watching it. A great experience for just me watching, I have no clue what it was like for the people there. Purely awesome. I took my break (kind of, still watched the replays and DVDs), now I'm really getting into baseball mode, can't wait for that presale!

giganticHead
02-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Nobody wore flip flops, right?

SouthSide_HitMen
02-13-2006, 05:12 PM
The ceremony was awesome. :supernana:

Two funniest lines:

2. President Bush "The last time the White Sox won was 1917. Woodrow Wilson was in the White House. Jerry, I don't know if you visited that time or not."

1. President Bush - Thanking several people in the White Sox group "I would like to thank the broadcasters, Ed Farmer. (One person claps). Ed they still remember you, well at least one person does."

Bush singled out Baines a few times calling him "a great hitter and a class act on and off the field".

Thanks for putting the link up!

PS - Was Man Soo Lee on hand?

Milw
02-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm probably the only person in the world that cares about this, but does anybody know which version of the jersey Bush got? Did it have the WS patch, or the new World Champions patch, or was it commemorative patchless?

Soxfanspcu11
02-13-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm probably the only person in the world that cares about this, but does anybody know which version of the jersey Bush got? Did it have the WS patch, or the new World Champions patch, or was it commemorative patchless?

I was actually thinking about that as well (every since I was a shorty, I thought about the STRANGEST things such as this!) But I DO know that it was the authentic jersey, you could tell because the MLB logo is above the name on the authentics (that would have been INCREDIBLY lame if they gave him a replica! lol). But I was looking for the "WS05" patch that I have on my authentic Guillen jersey but I couldn't tell, in the pictures I have seen.

But it is SOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME that Crazy, Willie and ESPECIALLY Rowand were there. I don't know about Crazy or Willie because I didn't see any of their press conferences when they signed with Seattle and Boston, but we all know how DEVASTATED Aaron was to leave, so to see him with the Sox one last time was SWEET and almost brought a tear to my eye! Seriously!

I just saw it on the NBC5 news right now and did anyone else know that Dye was capable of growing hair?!?! I always thought that he was losing his hair or something, that's why he shaved his head, but he actually had hair, that was a BIG surprise to me!:D:

Anyway, it kinda sucked for me, because I have this one college class that only meets ONE freaking day a week, on monday, and OF COURSE it was at the same time it was "live" so I didn't get to see it as it was happening, which I really wanted to, but I could not miss the class, (attendance in this class is INCREDIBLY important and I would have been forced to drop it if I did) but anyway, that was REALLY cool!!!

Not to offend anyone, but I really don't like Bush, but the only reason I even bring that up is because I wasn't sure how my feelings would be seeing the Sox there, but that's how AWESOME it was!!! What a GREAT experience for them and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM THERE AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!!

KUDOS TO THE SOX, THE WORLD CHAMPION WHITE SOX, THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON GUYS!!!! I'm going to go into an anxiety attack waiting for April!!!!!

bafiarocks03
02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Alright..Well that was cool! Loved seeing everyone! And Who thought that Willie looked absolutly PIMP today! mmmm...Hot!! I love him!! I was sooo happy to see him, that made like my week!! uhh...Weird to see Brian Anderson in a suit..haha! exciting!

nasox
02-13-2006, 07:17 PM
The ceremony was awesome. :supernana:

Two funniest lines:

2. President Bush "The last time the White Sox won was 1917. Woodrow Wilson was in the White House. Jerry, I don't know if you visited that time or not."

1. President Bush - Thanking several people in the White Sox group "I would like to thank the broadcasters, Ed Farmer. (One person claps). Ed they still remember you, well at least one person does."

Bush singled out Baines a few times calling him "a great hitter and a class act on and off the field".

Thanks for putting the link up!

PS - Was Man Soo Lee on hand?

As Man Soo Lee's son is a friend of mine, yes he was at the White House. Pretty sweet.

VASoxfan1
02-13-2006, 07:25 PM
did anyone else notice they referred to konerko as the DH in the report. Someone obviously's not a sox fan in that department, haha

MasQbellesa
02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Video:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=sports&id=3903056

Thanks for the link!! got to see the entire ceremony!

Very cool.....funny guy that President Bush.

LongLiveFisk
02-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey, CLTV is going to show it again in its entirety sometime tonight between 9:30 and 10, in case you missed it! :D:

RowanDye
02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Alright..Well that was cool! Loved seeing everyone! And Who thought that Willie looked absolutly PIMP today! mmmm...Hot!! I love him!! I was sooo happy to see him, that made like my week!! uhh...Weird to see Brian Anderson in a suit..haha! exciting!

I think Contreras looked like the real pimp...that white suit was absolutely hilarious.

lizard6king6
02-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey, CLTV is going to show it again in its entirety sometime tonight between 9:30 and 10, in case you missed it! :D:
You can also watch it at
http://cbs2chicago.com/sports
go through the videos and you can watch it in its entirety.

Brian26
02-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Two funniest lines:

2. President Bush "The last time the White Sox won was 1917. Woodrow Wilson was in the White House. Jerry, I don't know if you visited that time or not."?

I just saw that on Fox. The funny part was that Bush didn't call him "Jerry." He called him "Reinsdorf."

SouthSide_HitMen
02-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I just saw that on Fox. The funny part was that Bush didn't call him "Jerry." He called him "Reinsdorf."

You are right - a few times President Bush called him "Reinsdorf" and a couple times he said Jerry.

As Man Soo Lee's son is a friend of mine, yes he was at the White House. Pretty sweet.

Awesome. To tell you the truth, I rather see him at the White House than Ozzie. He didn't appear in the video on ABC - glad the coaches and others involved were able to attend. Glad everyone had a great time at the White House.

President Bush also gave great praise to Kenny Williams and the team aspect of the win and the fact the White Sox lead wire to wire. He also told Konerko he was greatly blessed by the Lord for his incredible month (new born child, recording the final out and his World Series grand slam).

The several players who couldn't make will hopefully be on hand after this season. :bandance:

Frankfan4life
02-14-2006, 01:25 AM
I thought the whole thing went pretty well. At first I was worried that it was going to be really awkward and uncomfortable, but Bush made the whole affair flow with his good humor and knowledgeable remarks.

It was good seeing Crazy Carl, Rowand and Willie again. They're pretty good sports. Paulie and Jermaine did a great job and the players really looked like they had a good time.

I have to say that I'm totally upset that Frank Thomas wasn't there. He should have sucked it up and went. The fact that he wasn't there was a real let down for me and other fans who wanted to see him. We really deserved better from him. There was no excuse for him not to show up.

Scottiehaswheels
02-14-2006, 03:37 AM
I wonder if that whole thing will end up on the DVD set due out in March?

soxfan13
02-14-2006, 10:20 AM
"Dont let the press make a big deal out of Ozzie not being here. He should be on vacation" said Bush to Reinsdorf. Page 6 of Chicago Sun-Times

IlliniSox4Life
02-14-2006, 10:24 AM
LOL

kittle42
02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
This didn't stop North from making it the prime topic of his show once again.

Stupid media.

downstairs
02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
"Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin' a dead horse...."

-Guns N' Roses

Baby Fisk
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Stupid media.
Just doing its job.

ondafarm
02-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Just doing its job.

Just being stupid.

MisterB
02-14-2006, 11:53 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060213/capt.66843ded1519483aa54013ce7cbfd170.bush_white_s ox_dcgh101.jpg

Is it just me, or does that look kind of like the poster for Reservoir Dogs...:D:

miker
02-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Maybe we could get Dick Cheney to take Mike North out hunting...

miker
02-14-2006, 12:52 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060213/capt.66843ded1519483aa54013ce7cbfd170.bush_white_s ox_dcgh101.jpg

Is it just me, or does that look kind of like the poster for Reservoir Dogs...:D:
I thought that too. Maybe one of our more gifted members can turn this into an appropriate "grinder rule" poster...

So who's Mr. Pink? A.J.?

Chip Z'nuff
02-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Where was Blogojevich? Is North going to rip into his Jeff Pk Brutha?

soxrme
02-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about Ozzie not going. HE CAN GO NEXT YEAR:D:

SoLongFrank
02-14-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-whitehouse14.html
Bush: "But I want to congratulate Ozzie Guillen, as well as the team and staff, the coaching staff, and the managers and all those who worked hard to make these guys ready to play. And I want to congratulate Ozzie on being a great manager, Manager of the Year, as well as becoming a United States citizen earlier this year.'' :cool:

Even if the Oz had planned to attend inclement weather would have made him a no-show anyways.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060213soxatwhitehouse,1,7946401.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Bush: "I understand Ozzie is on vacation, which I fully understand. If he's a Caribbean guy, taking a look at the weather forecast up here yesterday would have made me not want to come as well." :wink:

Nice save for the Oz.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=154218
Konerko: "We were more nervous than before the World Series. But then we got a chance to spend a few minutes with him and he’s just a really good guy who makes you feel calm and makes you feel good.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca14.html
Rowand: ''That's what makes it hard to come here and do this and see all these guys and reminisce and laugh and have a good time the way that we did all season long. 'Because I know I'm not going to be able to see these guys for a while.''

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060213downey,1,7083910.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Motto of every Cubs fan: "Just shoot me." :D:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=154183
Aaron & AJ drove all over Florida to get a flight to be there. Was George Lucas there?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060213soxozzie,1,2817244.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Ozzie:"When I went with Florida (as a third-base coach), family went. And Boston took everyone. The White Sox waited 88 years, and now there are restrictions about going to the White House?"

It seems like Ozzie was really miffed at the White Sox ruling out his family in attendance.

Ozzie: "People think Chavez and I are lovers." :D:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=154165
Nice tributes to the White Sox, Chicago, & the role of charity.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-dside14.html
Bush: ''Harold Baines is one class act. I mean, that guy can not only hit, but he brought a lot of class into the clubhouse, and I'm really proud to see you here, Harold.''

What a joy it is to be a White Sox fan these days. Especially if you've been one most of your life. :bandance: GO WHITE SOX !!!

MUScholar21
02-14-2006, 01:57 PM
What a joy it is to be a White Sox fan these days. Especially if you've been one most of your life. :bandance: GO WHITE SOX !!!

Couldn't agree more. It would be nice if more people knew who Harold is, especially when his name is on the HOF ballot in a year.

Dan Mega
02-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Michael Jordan didn't go in 1991. Did the media even blink at that?

MUScholar21
02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Michael Jordan didn't go in 1991. Did the media even blink at that?

AJ was on Dan Patrick's show, and he said it best (I'm paraphrasing), "The Bears aren't playing right now. The Blackhawks are awful, and no one pays any attention to them. The Bulls aren't as good as everyone thought they would be, so this is the only thing to report on. No one faults Ozzie for this."

I'm glad someone besides us Sox fans are saying this. No one would give a damn if this had taken place a month ago like it was supposed to, when the NFL was still on.

kittle42
02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
AJ was on Dan Patrick's show, and he said it best (I'm paraphrasing), "The Bears aren't playing right now. The Blackhawks are awful, and no one pays any attention to them. The Bulls aren't as good as everyone thought they would be, so this is the only thing to report on. No one faults Ozzie for this."

I'm glad someone besides us Sox fans are saying this. No one would give a damn if this had taken place a month ago like it was supposed to, when the NFL was still on.

Oh, please. This is the most important issue confronting our city - no, our nation - today!

kevin57
02-14-2006, 02:42 PM

:roflmao:

Then invite Ozzie to visit him in the hospital.

Madvora
02-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Pictures from the White House
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/02/images/20060213-3_d-0569-515h.html

Story
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/02/20060213-3.html

SouthSideHitman
02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I thought it was funny how the president who has taken more vacation than any other was quick to sympathize with Ozzie for being of vacation. I'm not trying get political, just a funny observation.

Meixner007
02-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I thought it was funny how the president who has taken more vacation than any other was quick to sympathize with Ozzie for being of vacation. I'm not trying get political, just a funny observation.

Presidents 'vacations' are a little different than the ones you and I take...

SouthSide_HitMen
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM

Daley was the only politician to comment negatively about Ozzie.

http://www.stalag13.de/german/ger-bilder/darsteller/john.jpg

I know nothing
I see nothing
I hear nothing

gobears1987
02-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Presidents 'vacations' are a little different than the ones you and I take...Yeah Presidential vacations are where they work the same hours. The only difference between their "vacations" and their normal day is they do it at their ranch or Martha's Vineyard instead of the White House.

Meixner007
02-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah Presidential vacations are where they work the same hours. The only difference between their "vacations" and their normal day is they do it at their ranch or Martha's Vineyard instead of the White House.

Exactly. People tend to assume when they hear vacation, it's just that.

LongLiveFisk
02-14-2006, 05:37 PM

I don't usually quote myself (:wink: ) but it turned out the replay wasn't exactly the entire ceremony. It included most of it though. (Had they not shown the weather forecast 3 or 4 times during that half hour--and what was the deal with that?--they could have shown it all.)

Oh well, it was still good to watch. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-14-2006, 05:38 PM

Cheney isn't a good enough shot.

:wink:

SouthSide_HitMen
02-14-2006, 06:31 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000002OK3001002/1/ref=mu_sam_ra001_002/102-9207753-7423360

http://www.comedy-zone.net/images/people/comedians/wright-steven.jpg

"K Billy’s Supersounds of the 70s Weekend just keeps on coming with this little ditty that reached up to #21 in May 1970, the George Baker selection Little Green Bag."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Reservoirdog.jpg

Mr. Blonde - aka Michael Madsen - #56 Mark Buehrle
Mr. Brown - aka Quentin Tarantino - #24 Joe Crede
Mr White - aka Harvey Keitel - #14 Paul Konerko
Nice Guy Eddie - aka Chris Penn - #45 Bobby Jenks
Joe Cabot - aka Lawrence Tierney - Jerry Reinsdorf
Mr. Orange - aka Tim Roth - #37 Chris Widger
Mr. Pink - aka Steve Buscemi - #12 A. J. Pierzynski
Mr. Blue - aka Edward Bunker - #32 Dustin Hermanson

Officer Marvin Nash - aka Kirk Baltz (tortured police officer) - Jose Valentin :redneck

Viva Medias B's
02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
North just continues to ride Ozzie because he hates Ozzie's guts, IMO. North rode Ozzie all during the season and made fun of him all the time.

StockdaleForVeep
02-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Ozzie will make his trips every odd time, he went for the 1st ring with marlins, missed the second now, next year he'll be there

shbart
02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Did anyone else check out his photo of Ed Farmer at the White House from Scott Reifert's blog?
Jesus Ed, you really do look like a Farmiola...No tie and no socks. I guess we can be thankful he's not on television. Also, after seeing this picture, I never want to hear about the N.U. Women's Lacrosse team and the damn flip-flops controversy again!

LuvSox
02-15-2006, 12:07 AM
He's Ed Farmer. Fashion follows him, not vise versa. :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
02-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Did anyone else check out his photo of Ed Farmer at the White House from Scott Reifert's blog?
Jesus Ed, you really do look like a Farmiola...No tie and no socks. I guess we can be thankful he's not on television. Also, after seeing this picture, I never want to hear about the N.U. Women's Lacrosse team and the damn flip-flops controversy again!

Farmer was the source of Bush's best joke and it was ad libbed.

President Bush - Thanking several people in the White Sox group "I would like to thank the broadcasters, Ed Farmer. (One person claps). Ed they still remember you, well at least one person does."

Hangar18
02-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Nobody knows this, but Ed Farmer was one of the finalists for the role of Tubbs on Miami Vice.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 07:46 AM
I just saw that photo on Scott Reifert's blog this morning. Total, classic, White House action.

Realist
02-15-2006, 08:21 AM
A really offensive anti-cubs t-shirt under his jacket would have been a nice touch.

chisoxfan64
02-15-2006, 08:26 AM

I heard that he put ketchup on his hot dog too.

credefan24
02-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Does anyone think the only reason North and the rest of the media is making a big deal out of this is due to the fact that Chavez is the President of Venezuela? When it comes down to it, it's a non-story.

SOXPHILE
02-15-2006, 09:26 AM
"...that's what you do. When you go to the White House, you don't wear socks or a tie. That's what you wanna do. Now, if I was Buck Showalter, I would have worn my Rangers warm up jacket. But I'm not, so I didn't. I'm just putting that out there folks. We all have choices to make, and mine was to not wear socks or a tie. Not that I don't like socks. I just prefer the White Sox. Lots of people don't wear socks, but like the Sox. Here's the 2-1 pitch to Konerko..."

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 09:27 AM
"...that's what you do. When you go to the White House, you don't wear socks or a tie. That's what you wanna do. Now, if I was Buck Showalter, I would have worn my Rangers warm up jacket. But I'm not, so I didn't. I'm just putting that out there folks. We all have choices to make, and mine was to not wear socks or a tie. Not that I don't like socks. I just prefer the White Sox. Lots of people don't wear socks, but like the Sox. Here's the 2-1 pitch to Konerko..."

:rolling:

AZChiSoxFan
02-15-2006, 09:27 AM
I heard that he put ketchup on his hot dog too.

I also heard that while Bush was speaking, Farmer was talking on his cell phone.

tebman
02-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Does anyone think the only reason North and the rest of the media is making a big deal out of this is due to the fact that Chavez is the President of Venezuela? When it comes down to it, it's a non-story.
That wraps it up. The papers and the broadcast stations have pages and time to fill, so it becomes a contest of who bangs the pots and pans the loudest. If they weren't carping on Ozzie being on vacation, it would be the delay in green-seat renovations at USCF that we read about last week. Or it would be a riveting discussion on whether Chicago is a Sox town.

I fully expect that before the season begins we'll see an insightful report on whether or not Sox fans can behave themselves amongst bigger crowds at USCF this year. Hell, we learned from the Tribune just before the playoffs that the Sox games are played in a neighborhood that's near (gasp!) poor folks. We just need to ignore these sideshow barkers and settle in for another championship season -- if Mike North falls in the forest and nobody hears him, does he make a sound?

"...Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

-- Macbeth, Act V, Scene v., Wm. Shakespeare

34 Inch Stick
02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
When I first clicked on the picture I thought you were talking about the badly dyed hair. The no Sox and tired suit with no tie look is equally bad.

Also, will somebody please pony up and buy Willie a sport coat. The leather winter coat with a tie look stopped being acceptable formal wear after high school ended.

Chez
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm ususally not one to stand on ceremony, but I gotta say that Farmer is a dolt for not wearing a tie and socks to the freakin' White House. Regardless of your politics, show some respect and class. My God.

daveeym
02-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Long Live Kingxerxes!!!!!

Baby Fisk
02-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Long Live Kingxerxes!!!!!
His faithful masses await his return.

Realist
02-15-2006, 12:02 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/white_house_visit/whitehouse8.jpg
President Konerko Addresses The Masses From His Balcony

The Critic
02-15-2006, 12:20 PM

That Farmer impression was so accurate, I almost fell asleep reading it....:redneck

gobears1987
02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/white_house_visit/whitehouse8.jpg
President Konerko Addresses The Masses From His Balcony

Peron!
Peron!
Peron!
Peron!
Peron!
Peron!
Peron!

(Sorry, I love evita.)

gobears1987
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
reminds me of this thread.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39334

Read the 1st question:smile:

DrCrawdad
02-15-2006, 12:32 PM
The clip I saw on the news, the President did a walk-by handshake with Ed Farmer. Now I would be completely in awe if I were in Farmio's position, but how much do you want to bet that Farmio will be talking about the WH visit as though he had the President's undivided attention for two days.

gobears1987
02-15-2006, 01:58 PM
He'll have a ton to talk about during the ST games. I bet he will.