PDA

View Full Version : who is your favorite white sox player ever and why?

fozzy
01-22-2006, 05:05 AM
the reason i ask this is i've got a home made jim spencer jersey and a lotta younger fans ask me who that is. he was a 1rst basemen back in in the late 70's and for some reason as a little kid he was baseball to me. his uniform was never clean always gave his all... i think he won a gold glove. what clinched it for me was my dad sent him a letter telling him he was my idol and included 5 bucks told him it was my birthday coming up and would he send me an autograph pic. you know what? about 2 weeks after my b-day i got a letter in the mail with an autograped pic wishing me happy b-day and 5 bucks telling me to go buy something for myself. for almost a year i wouldn't answer to anything other the jim.. even made my teachers call me that.

i know that that's the story is a little chezey but with all the white sox love going on right now for some reason i typed his name in a google search to find out what he's doing now and found out he recently passed away.... he was a childhood idol and thought he nned some love

LITTLE NELL
01-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Without a doubt, Nellie Fox the heart and soul of the go-go White Sox

kevin57
01-22-2006, 07:36 AM
For me it would be a toss-up between Robin Ventura and Aaron Rowand. Both bled silver and black. Players of 100% heart, making the most of their abilities, who loved the Sox and their fans.

AWhiteSoxWinner
01-22-2006, 08:26 AM
I know you are asking for favorite player ever but for the 2005 White Sox, I'll say my favorite player is Neal Cotts. To witness his development from the fiasco at Yankee Stadium in 2003 to a calm, cool, composed and mature pitcher who was simply sick in the World Series just two years later was awesome. Plus, I believe he is the only player who lives in the city year round.:D:

PAPChiSox729
01-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Frank Thomas. 'Nuff said.

samram
01-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Frank Thomas.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Favorite Hitter & Pitcher

Hitter
Dick Allen 1974
Jorge Orta 1975 - 1979
Harold Baines 1980 - 1989
Robin Ventura 1990 - 1998
Magglio Ordonez 1999 - 2004
Joe Crede 2005 - current

Pitcher
Wilbur Wood 1974 - 1978
Ken Kravec 1979
Richard Dotson 1980 - 1987
Bobby Thigpen 1988 - 1990
Alex Fernandez 1991 - 1996
Mike Sirotka 1997 - 2000
Mark Buehrle 2001 - current

All Time Favorite - Harold Baines!

Why? Because he is the epitome of class. He was the best player the White Sox had during the years I most closely followed the team. Power, batting average. Har-old Har-old Har-old!!!

Wsoxmike59
01-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Luis Aparicio. (But I must confess I only saw him on his 2nd go 'round with the Sox '68-'70) He was my all time favorite and I was crushed and heartbroken when the White Sox traded him to Boston. (for Mike Andrews and Luis Alvarado)

I STILL BELIEVE the White Sox could've caught Oakland in 1972 if they had the real Little Looie at SS instead of Luis Alvarado!!

Aparicio and the Red Sox finished 1/2 game behind the Tigers in 1972 for the AL Eastern Div Championship due to a scheduling quirk because of the Players Strike. Boston played 1 less game then the Tigers that year!!!!

Jacob Nelson Fox
01-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Love the reference to Big Spence, one of my all time favorites despite being somewhat obscure. Slick fielder and pretty good pop at bat. One game I attended I believe he had 8 ribbies: a grand slam homer, 3 run homer, and rbi single.

Of course, Nellie is my all time favorite, the epitome of Ozzie-ball, a gritty over-achiever with no quit in him. Most probably the greatest 2-hole hitter ever as an expert bunter and peerless contact hitter. I could go on and on...

Bucky F. Dent
01-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Bucky Dent. He played my position (ss) for my team (the Sox) when I was introduced to the game. Even after he left the team. I have always remembered him as the Sox shortstop.

HomeFish
01-22-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll always have a soft spot for Herbert Perry. The guy had one hell of a year in 2000, and didn't choke in the playoffs either.

I know I'm not alone, either. I still get lots of compliments on my #43 jersey.

rbeze09
01-22-2006, 12:52 PM
toss up between Robin Ventura and Frank Thomas..Robin just because I am a 3rd basemen, but Thomas by far if I didnt

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Frank Thomas.

LuvSox
01-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Fisk---he worked hard. You may not have liked him, but he earned his keep.

RallyBowl
01-22-2006, 01:07 PM
For me it's gotta be The Big Hurt. I'll say this though. I wanted Billy Koch to be my favorite ever. When we got him, I was pumped. I know I thought at the time that he was going to be here for years and my man love for him would eclipse the man love I had for Frank.

WHOOPS!:redface:

SOXintheBURGH
01-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Favorite all time is Frank..

But when its all said and done I think it'll be Buehrle, he's been my favorite pitcher since he was called up.

MICROblue
01-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Fisk. Who cares if he did not sign autographs. He was first to the park, and the last to leave. Fisk played his heart out every game, and wasn't afraid to preach the correct way to play. Hence, we was named co-captain (along with Ozzie) by Torborg. One of my favorite Fisk stories is when Dion Sanders refused to run out a pop up and Fisk yelled to him, "Run the BLEEPING ball out you BLEEPING piece of BLEEP!". Dion, with a total lack of wit to come back with anything smart yelled, "The days of slavery are over!" Fisk discriminated against only one type of player, one who did not give his all on the field.

bighurt2719
01-22-2006, 01:42 PM
much love to the big hurt, but i have to go with robin ventura. whenever we had decent pitching on the mound who was in a funk, robin would take a few steps towards the mound and throw a one liner to the pitcher that would shape him up sharpish. never knew what he said to these pitchers, but i always thought that was awesome. does anyone else remember that about robin?

gobears1987
01-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Frank.

BV2005
01-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Its hard for me to pick just one, but If I have to it would have to be Robin Ventura. He was all about the White Sox, and was a Grinder before there were Grinder Rules. An honerable mention would go to Frank Thomas, Ozzie Guillen, Paul Konerko, and Mark Buehrlee.

wassagstdu
01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Luis Aparicio. Since he was a rookie in 1956. He was fun to watch and arguably the best ever at his position. He had a cannon arm, and he would pause for a fraction of a second with his arm cocked -- a different approach from Ozzie's and Uribe's quick release -- before he let go so you had a fraction of a second to anticipate the laser beam, and he threw with his entire body, like Billy Pierce, my other all-time favorite. He looked like he was 100% all out all of the time, but with a kind of control and grace that made him as much like a matador as a shortstop.

Baby Fisk
01-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Carlton Fisk.

In the spirit of the 80s, when a kid from Hamilton inexplicably became a fan of the White Sox: "You're first, you're last, you're EVERYTHING!"

fogie
01-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Billy Pierce. when he pitched. the odd's where always against him. And also Chico Carrasquel my first autograph, both were good guys, and fun to watch.

LongLiveFisk
01-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Fisk. Who cares if he did not sign autographs.

Same here.

And he signed for me. :D:

veeter
01-22-2006, 04:57 PM
No way to narrow it down. Although, I was shocked you loved Spencer so much, because I did too when I was kid. Can't say there were too many HUGE Jim Spencer fans. Very cool story about the letter.

RallyBowl
01-22-2006, 05:00 PM
No Ozzie yet, huh?

HChappasJr
01-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Luis Aparicio. (But I must confess I only saw him on his 2nd go 'round with the Sox '68-'70) He was my all time favorite and I was crushed and heartbroken when the White Sox traded him to Boston. (for Mike Andrews and Luis Alvarado)

I STILL BELIEVE the White Sox could've caught Oakland in 1972 if they had the real Little Looie at SS instead of Luis Alvarado!!

Aparicio and the Red Sox finished 1/2 game behind the Tigers in 1972 for the AL Eastern Div Championship due to a scheduling quirk because of the Players Strike. Boston played 1 less game then the Tigers that year!!!!

Yeah, and if the Sox were in the AL East in '72, like they should have been in the first place, they would have won that division.

HChappasJr
01-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I'd have to go with Baines. He was so clutch for so many years and never got the attention he should have. People forget he was an outstanding outfielder too until he hurt his knees.

Chisox003
01-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Frank.
No doubt about it. Probably for the same reason as you.

Him and that 1993 team got me hooked, and I haven't looked back.

And hey, he hasnt signed anywhere yet....Hmmm *crosses fingers*

soxinem1
01-22-2006, 06:01 PM
For longetivity and production who cannot like the Big Hurt.

Being a former pitcher, Richard Dotson and Britt Burns were my favorites. When these guys were young, before the injuries, and throwing well, they would just get that blazing look in their eyes like they were in control and there was nothing anyone was going to do to stop them.

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Robin Ventura. His defense sent chills up and down my spine, and his hitting served as a warning to low flying aircrafts! :cool:

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Robin Ventura. His defense sent chills up and down my spine, and his hitting served as a warning to low flying aircrafts! :cool:

:dtroll::supernana:

davenicholson
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
A tough choice, but I'll go with Gary Peters. His heyday with the Sox coincided with my heyday as a fan--I even tried to learn to throw lefty to emulate him. I loved his poise and control on the mound, and when my Dad took me to a game at Comiskey in which Peters pitched, batted sixth and hit a homer sealed it for me! Of course, that was in the day when athletes were heroes to me, and not like now (in many cases), millionaire prima donnas.

soxfan26
01-22-2006, 10:54 PM
From 1980 until August 2, 1990 it was Harold Baines

Since then: Frank Thomas

Now that he's gone :dunno:

esbrechtel
01-22-2006, 11:12 PM
im torn....i grew up in the days of robin ventura and loved him....but i also have liked crede an awful lot ever since hes been with the sox, despite all the bad press he was getting earlier this year....i guess im partial to 3rd basemen...

Dick Allen
01-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Dick Allen, of course. Watching him hit a baseball was unlike anything I've ever seen in the sport. Just flicking his wrists, using a 42-ounce bat, the ball would just jump off his bat into orbit. His HR's were as high as they were far.

Timmy D's
01-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Hi 1st time poster. I would have to say Robin, but I also have a highlight of Chet Lemon#44(just like WSNS), who made a spectacular diving catch for a 3rd out, and flipped the ball up in the stands, and I caught it when I was just a pup(well I cant say I caught it, but he flung it up in the stands and a bunch of people went after it, and it fell right in the seat of the guy sitting next to me and I grabbed it), 2 innings later he signed the ball for me while they changed pitchers. :bandance:

Minnie Me
01-23-2006, 08:20 AM
During the exciting 1965 season,which was Al Lopez's last the Sox won 95 games. Catcher John "Honey" Romano provided rare Sox power with 18 home runs.
This I swear, if it was by radio or TV, I had a physic connection with Romano and was able to "sense" whenever he was about to hit a HR. I did this for every of his 18 home runs. I never again had this unique talent and experience in watching over 50 years of Sox baseball.
I "knew" when he was going to hit a Home Run. I must also admit that this also occured to a lesser extent with Jack Brohammer.

mccoydp
01-23-2006, 08:29 AM
See my signature below:

soxfanatlanta
01-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Harold Baines

During his earlier years, his arm was just amazing to watch; I loved the way he would play the ball off the wall almost nonchalantly, and then firing it in to second base. One of my most memorable games is when he hit two laser beams out of the part. One other thing I liked was that he never talked to the media, his play said volumes anyway.

Oh yeah, there is the chant....

voodoochile
01-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I know this is going to shock some of you...

Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas

If he had played across town, they'd be building a room for him in Cooperstown right now...

Huisj
01-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Harold Baines became my childhood hero on opening day in '89. Steady and dependable, and went about his business without any extra flash or nonsense. Just got the job done and was always a class act.

ondafarm
01-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Nellie Fox.

Never saw him play except on film but my mother founded his fan club and taught all of her children to be middle infielders in his mode: scrappy, do all the little things right, take the extra base, bunt like crazy, sacrifice when needed, turn the double play like nobodies business.

Plus, we have a picture of him visiting my mother and me on the day I was born. A picture of him holding me on day one of the Ondafarm era is absolutely priceless.

Baby Fisk
01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Plus, we have a picture of him visiting my mother and me on the day I was born. A picture of him holding me on day one of the Ondafarm era is absolutely priceless.
That is quite possibly the best White Sox memorabilia item ever! Does he have a wad of tobacco going? :D:

salty99
01-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Big Frank is my all time favorite player.

Frankly Missing
01-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Frank Thomas, sigh

XplodingScorbord
01-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Harold Baines

During his earlier years, his arm was just amazing to watch; I loved the way he would play the ball off the wall almost nonchalantly, and then firing it in to second base. One of my most memorable games is when he hit two laser beams out of the part. One other thing I liked was that he never talked to the media, his play said volumes anyway.

Oh yeah, there is the chant....

HAR-OLD, HAR-OLD, HAR-OLD!

Got my vote!

TheDarkGundam
01-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm only 17 so I never saw all these great old players.
I'm gonna go with Buerhle. When he's not pitching he either really wacky (slip-n-slide on the rain tarp) or really crazy (Rangers are stealing our signs), but when he pitches he totally serious. He's awesome.
:moonwalk:

thomas35forever
01-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Frank Thomas. I didn't want him to leave, but there's just no place for him on the team anymore.:whiner:

SweetnesSox
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Frank Thomasis #1. Also #2. anyone else is a distant, distant 3rd.

y2j2785
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm still young, but my Favorite player is Paul Konerko :walnuts and my 2nd fav is A.J. :AJ:

LuzinskiFan
01-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Check out my name, there's your answer. I guess I just liked the way he slugged the ball outta Old Comiskey.

TheDarkGundam
01-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm still young, but my Favorite player is Paul Konerko :walnuts and my 2nd fav is A.J. :AJ:

"My kid is so crazy, his favorite player is A.J. Pierzynski! How crazy is that?"
-Ozzie Guillen

dugwood31
01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
No doubt about it...Saint Harold. He quietly went about his job and consistently produced for a long time. If only more people had his work ethic the world would be a fabulous place.

TomBradley72
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Paulie.

I've been to hundreds of White Sox games over the years...but the grand slam....in the cold...in the rain....game two of the World Series was the best baseball moment I have ever experienced. The speach at the rally....his overall role on the World Champs. Currently #4 on the all time HR list...he'll end up #2 to Frank before it's all over.

Definitely Paulie.

Britt Burns
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
The Best White Sox Ever. Period.

Nellie_Fox
01-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Nellie Fox...Plus, we have a picture of him visiting my mother and me on the day I was born. A picture of him holding me on day one of the Ondafarm era is absolutely priceless.I cannot begin to describe the sense of awe and envy this induces in me. I will be discussing this with my mother. Of course, he was with the A's when I was born, but that's no excuse.

mike squires
01-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Mike Squires, since he had the same name as me and I liked his defense. ...Kittle for his ability to hammer the ball out of thepark with pure strength without ever having to use that steroid stuff...

ode to veeck
01-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Minnie and Nellie from the GoGo Sox and Frank from the modern ones

chi_guy
01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Greg Luzinski

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/boyLuzinski.jpg

Because of his roof clearing homers.

soxrme
01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Nellie was my favorite player. He epitomized what the Sox were about. Why there is not a statue of him and Louie is beyond me. They deserve it long before Fisk.

swanson24
01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Frank Thomas is my all time favorite player. That 93 season was unbelievable I just remember getting the chills at the park when he came to the plate. He must have intimidated all the American League pitchers that year.

wassagstdu
01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Changed my mind. It's ScottAaronJermaineJoeJuanTadPaulAJJoseMarkJonFredd ie Guillen

I want Mags back
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
with out a question- Frank Thomas

He is a really big reason why i became a sox fan when i started realizing what was happening, whwn i was 3 during the '93 season. I had his Reebok shoes with the stripes when i was younger, i had posters on my wall, etc. Its really gonnna be sad because this will be the first year of life that he is not sopme part of team, even though he has been hurt for a while.

HITMEN OF 77
01-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Paul Konerko, becuase he's Paul Konerko.

leens01
01-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I always loved Craig Grebeck. I didn't get to go to my first Sox Game until I was 12 when my aunt took me. I loved the way Craig played. This was when Ozzie was out for most of the season for surgery, I think. I remember I was so mad when Ozzie came back because he got his job back, but to me it belonged to Craig. My aunt even bought me a plaque that held a Grebeck card that was autographed. One of my favorite Sox memorabilia to this day.