PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Coco Crisp to Boston, Marte, Mota, Michaels to Indians

patbooyah
01-22-2006, 01:29 AM
from rotoworld:

According to the Boston Herald, the Indians will send Coco Crisp to the Red Sox for Andy Marte and Guillermo Mota after completing a deal with the Phillies that will net them Jason Michaels.
The Phillies would likely get Rafael Betancourt or Arthur Rhodes from the Indians in return for Michaels, something that might allow them to put Ryan Madson in the rotation after all. Michaels would take over as the Indians' left fielder and shouldn't be much of a downgrade. With Marte around to shove Aaron Boone aside by midseason or in 2007, this could be a huge win for the Indians. Jan. 22 - 1:00 am et

munchman33
01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
I don't want any of that to happen.

SOXintheBURGH
01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
Please don't. :o:

KRS1
01-22-2006, 01:45 AM
I for one wouldnt mind it. Michaels is okay, but he he couldnt win a spot in as the Phillies CF last year against scrubs. Mota will be a good addition to any pen, and that's kinda bad, but Marte has yet to prove himself in the bigs and really started sucking it up after being demoted last year. Crispies killed us whether you like to acknowledge it or not, getting long AB's that usually ended in a big hit, being pesky on the basepaths, and playing very solid D. He wont be missed by me thats for certain.

Chisox003
01-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Crisp and Sizemore are deadly hitting back to back at the top of their lineup. Breaking them up, and taking into consideration what Coco did to us last year . . .

I'm all for this.

Dan Mega
01-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Do it do it!:bandance:

munchman33
01-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Maybe not next year, but Marte will eventually be the best hitter in Cleveland's lineup. And the dropoff from Crisp to Micheals is almost negligable, especially with as potent as the rest of the lineup is. For this season, it's at worst a big upgrade in the bullpen.

And Boston gets a good CF to hit in front of Manny and Ortiz.

All of this makes the two teams most likely to challenge us stronger. Please don't cheer it on.

A. Cavatica
01-22-2006, 08:25 AM
This would be a steal for Cleveland. I'd hate to see it go down.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-22-2006, 10:00 AM
from rotoworld:

According to the Boston Herald, the Indians will send Coco Crisp to the Red Sox for Andy Marte and Guillermo Mota after completing a deal with the Phillies that will net them Jason Michaels.
The Phillies would likely get Rafael Betancourt or Arthur Rhodes from the Indians in return for Michaels, something that might allow them to put Ryan Madson in the rotation after all. Michaels would take over as the Indians' left fielder and shouldn't be much of a downgrade. With Marte around to shove Aaron Boone aside by midseason or in 2007, this could be a huge win for the Indians. Jan. 22 - 1:00 am et

Two points:

1. How did you beat Fenway to post this first? &

2. This is a huge steal for the Indians - I hope it stays a rumor and then dies out.

gobears1987
01-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Pull the trigger, Coco Crisp is a Sox killer, get him out of Cleveland:supernana:

jerrykrause4pres
01-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Since when is Coco Crisp good enough to get all that back in return? He's a poor man's Johny Damon. But yes, if this does go down, the Indians are the winners of ths trade without a doubt.

Fenway
01-22-2006, 01:14 PM
from rotoworld:

losing Marte would hurt but Coco fills the holes created by losing Damon Welcome back Theo

santo=dorf
01-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I like this trade. Marte will help the Indians next year, Michaels isn't an everday player, Crisp seems to hit the Sox well, Mota hasn't been the same since being traded from LA, and hopefully the Phillies will take the roider Betancourt out of Cleveland's bullpen.

IMO, Cleveland downgrades their LF and bullpen, but pick up a great prospect.

caulfield12
01-22-2006, 02:07 PM
from rotoworld:

The success of this deal would totally hinge on the development of Marte...whether he turns out to be some combination of Wilson Betemit-Glenn Williams-Gary Scott-Kevin Orie or an All Star at the MLB level.

I would much prefer Michaels in the Indians outfield to Crisp. Crisp really makes the top of their order go...he is sort of a combo of Iguchi and Pods without quite the speed but with some really good pop.

Betancourt versus Mota could be a win-win, a loss-loss or anything in-between. Mota has a great arm, but there are tons of relievers out there that fit those qualifications. He has struggled big time recently, but Politte looked like an average reliever before last year as well...Mota has the ability to have that same type of season.

Chicken Dinner
01-22-2006, 02:32 PM
:weewillie

I thought I was going to lead off and play center!

wsox3505
01-22-2006, 02:34 PM
The deal clearly helps us in 2006 because it makes the Tribe weaker, regardless of whether they get jason michaels. Crisp is a great hitter at the top of the order and is top 3 defensively in LF (even though will be CF in boston). Mota is vastly overrated. I also have to question how is it that Mota and Marte BOTH get traded twice in the same offseason if they're so valuable?

If Marte is so great, i think boston would keep him to take over for lowell, but that wasn't the case. Also read somewhere that Mota is lazy and doesn't work hard at all. The deal COULD improve the tribe, but not this year. In sum, I like the deal for the wsox.

soxinem1
01-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes, very puzzling trade if you ask me. Mota is not exactly a kid, and I'd take Crisp any day in CF in Chicago. Plus, Covelli has killed us since going to CLE. SO if that means Blake is in LF, Thanks!

Getting Marte is a little puzzling too, as there is not any real room for him anywhere in the INF.

bafiarocks03
01-22-2006, 04:00 PM
This is retarded......Willie's in Boston..Coco's gonna go to Boston..PSH!!

Tragg
01-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Crisp in CF?

Crisp is utterly replaceable. To prospect and a good relief pitcher for an okay outfielder. Good deal for Cleveland.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 06:38 PM
The way i always looked at it is you cant worry about who you're playing, worry about how you're playing. We cant get all hyped up on what cleveland and min are doing (notice i left out tigers and kc lol). We need to worry about our team, because if they are the best they can take anyone.

patbooyah
01-22-2006, 07:10 PM
The way i always looked at it is you cant worry about who you're playing, worry about how you're playing. We cant get all hyped up on what cleveland and min are doing (notice i left out tigers and kc lol). We need to worry about our team, because if they are the best they can take anyone.

let's see... first day... 17 posts... minimal profile...

i'm trying to figure out which banned member you are...

based on post count, i would say whitesoxjosh.... :cool:

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
let's see... first day... 17 posts... minimal profile...

i'm trying to figure out which banned member you are...

based on post count, i would say whitesoxjosh.... :cool:

Well i think you made urself look retarded seeing as you said minimal profile and first day in the same sentance. Maybe i have a minimal profile BECAUSE its my first day. Maybe i have 17 posts because i obviously registered to post on the boards. Ive never been on here before so u can stop pointing fingers

Georgey3085
01-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Well i think you made urself look retarded seeing as you said minimal profile and first day in the same sentance. Maybe i have a minimal profile BECAUSE its my first day. Maybe i have 17 posts because i obviously registered to post on the boards. Ive never been on here before so u can stop pointing fingers

First off, lemme say this newbie isn't Whitesoxjosh, he's actually my friend, so don't say BS like that. Thank you, white sox josh is a loser, joeitalia7=winner

patbooyah
01-22-2006, 07:19 PM

sensitive. dios mio. i don't think it's "retarded" to think its odd that someone has time to make 18 posts but not fill out a profile. i was kidding anyway. mostly just pointing out your high number of posts.

anyways. i kind of want this trade to go through. coco has always made me nervous. besides - maybe when his "brother in sideways hat wearing" is gone, that enormous starting pitcher of theirs will lose some stuff.

FarWestChicago
01-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Well i think you made urself look retarded seeing as you said minimal profile and first day in the same sentance. Maybe i have a minimal profile BECAUSE its my first day. Maybe i have 17 posts because i obviously registered to post on the boards. Ive never been on here before so u can stop pointing fingersYou won't be a new member for long if you keep up the personal attacks. And, learn how to spell before you call somebody else "retarded". :rolleyes:

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 07:33 PM
You won't be a new member for long if you keep up the personal attacks. And, learn how to spell before you call somebody else "retarded". :rolleyes:

First off, its not a personal attack when ur defending urself. I said nothing offending anyone until i was accused of being someone im not. second of all, i see no wrong in my spelling, grammar maybe, but not spelling

FarWestChicago
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
First off, its not a personal attack when ur defending urself. I said nothing offending anyone until i was accused of being someone im not. second of all, i see no wrong in my spelling, grammar maybe, but not spellingYou don't make the rules. We do. It was a personal attack. Follow the rules or have a timeout. It's up to you. There will be no more discussion on this subject.

ilsox7
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
First off, its not a personal attack when ur defending urself. I said nothing offending anyone until i was accused of being someone im not. second of all, i see no wrong in my spelling, grammar maybe, but not spelling

Using the term retarded in the manner you did is offensive to plenty of folks.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Using the term retarded in the manner you did is offensive to plenty of folks.

Ok for that i am sorry. however i do not appreciate being singled out in something that obviously takes two people. i simply came to these boards hearing good things and wanted to show my pride for the sox. I did not want to get into internet arguments about things that have nothing to do with the Chicago White Sox.

patbooyah
01-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Ok for that i am sorry. however i do not appreciate being singled out in something that obviously takes two people. i simply came to these boards hearing good things and wanted to show my pride for the sox. I did not want to get into internet arguments about things that have nothing to do with the Chicago White Sox.

joe. i was kidding. i was hoping the smiley face would show that. if it didn't come across i apologize. i would try not to argue, especially with mods.

EDIT: By the way, I love the the profile. :D:

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
i know buddy no hardships, now i understand you are joking.

Georgey3085
01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I tend to agree with JoeItalia7...this is a place for us to talk about the White Sox, not about people who are crying because they were called "retarded". Please people, lets keep WSI a place where we don't have to much political correctness talked about. ok, thanks. Oh, I forgot GO SOX!:supernana:

Chisox003
01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
not about people who are crying because they were called "retarded". Please people, lets keep WSI a place where we don't have to much political correctness talked about. ok, thanks.
Ya, no problem.

:rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
01-22-2006, 07:51 PM
I tend to agree with JoeItalia7...this is a place for us to talk about the White Sox, not about people who are crying because they were called "retarded". Please people, lets keep WSI a place where we don't have to much political correctness talked about. ok, thanks. Oh, I forgot GO SOX!:supernana:Bad idea. Like I said, we pay the bills and make the rules. You don't. Take a couple days to think about that.

Mohoney
01-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Count me in the "Get Coco the hell away from us" camp.

Jacque Jones already left Minnesota, and now Coco might leave Cleveland? Now all we need is for somebody to pry Mike Sweeney away from Kansas City.

SABRSox
01-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Count me in the "Get Coco the hell away from us" camp.

Jacque Jones already left Minnesota, and now Coco might leave Cleveland? Now all we need is for somebody to pry Mike Sweeney away from Kansas City.

He'd look mighty good in an Angels uniform...

Jjav829
01-22-2006, 08:20 PM
He'd look mighty good in an Angels uniform...

Good idea. We never win out there anyway. Might as well try to combine everyone/everything that kills us into one area. :smile:

SOXintheBURGH
01-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Good idea. We never win out there anyway. Might as well try to combine everyone/everything that kills us into one area. :smile:

I recall a certain handful of complete game ALCS victories in Southern California a few months ago. :cool:

Jjav829
01-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I recall a certain handful of complete game ALCS victories in Southern California a few months ago. :cool:

Well, our crappy play on the west coast is limited to regular season games. Playoff games we dominate. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
01-22-2006, 09:13 PM
This is one of those deals that's good for everyone involved. The Red Sox need a CF and they have IF to spare. The Indians need to shore up their bullpen and replacing Betancourt or Rhodes with Mota is a step up. Crisp to Michaels is a downgrade and Marte is still not much more than a prospect. But this is a long-term move for the Indians. They can cut Boone loose after this year and spend the money elsewhere (assuming they don't find a way to trade him). Michaels is a spare part for the Phils with Rowand in CF, and they can use the relief pitching. Works all around. Short-term the Tribe will miss Crisp leading off, but longer term it makes them better.

Mohoney
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
This is one of those deals that's good for everyone involved. The Red Sox need a CF and they have IF to spare. The Indians need to shore up their bullpen and replacing Betancourt or Rhodes with Mota is a step up. Crisp to Michaels is a downgrade and Marte is still not much more than a prospect. But this is a long-term move for the Indians. They can cut Boone loose after this year and spend the money elsewhere (assuming they don't find a way to trade him). Michaels is a spare part for the Phils with Rowand in CF, and they can use the relief pitching. Works all around. Short-term the Tribe will miss Crisp leading off, but longer term it makes them better.

Works for me. Let us own this division in '06 and '07 before the Tribe reach "point C" somewhere around '08 and become a real thorn in our side. Hopefully, we can get another World Series title in this two year window.

Fenway
01-22-2006, 11:16 PM
The Boston fans ponder
Report: Sox Acquire Coco + ?'s for Marte/Mota (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3104) http://sonsofsamhorn.net/style_images/sosh/pages_icon.gif (javascript:multi_page_jump('http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3104', 391, 20 );) 1 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3104&st=0)2 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3104&st=20)3 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3104&st=40) 20 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3104&st=380)

Crisp for Marte deal not done yet (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19666&hl=) http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/style_images/borderline/pages_icon.gif (javascript:multi_page_jump('http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19666', 265, 20 );) 1 (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19666&st=0)2 (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19666&st=20)3 (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19666&st=40) 14 (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19666&st=260)

southsideirish71
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Marte hit .269 in AA, and .275 in AAA. The power numbers are good and all, but looking at his numbers I dont see what the big hype is over this kid. I dont see how this makes the Indians better.

Mota has a live arm, but he hasnt been the same since he left the Dodgers.

Crisp was a sox killer, he is better out of our division.

So far this offseason.

They replaced Millwood with Byrd. Downgrade
They replaced Earton with Johnson. Earton wasnt good but his high fastball routine would get the sox to fish every so many outings. We kill Johnson. Downgrade.
Howry and his mouth move to the Flubs, they replace him with Mota. Downgrade.
They resign Wickman, and his full figure. Downgrade.
They replace Crisp with Michaels. Downgrade.

JoeItalia7
01-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Crisp was a sox killer, he is better out of our division.

Very true, but.......What if we then have to face him in the playoffs instead?

Chisox003
01-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Very true, but.......What if we then have to face him in the playoffs instead?
Umm....

Fenway
01-23-2006, 10:43 AM
media in Cleveland and Boston reporting the trade is a done deal PENDING a physical on Guillermo Mota.

Cleveland Plain Dealer
http://www.cleveland.com/newslogs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_plaindealer/archives/2006_01.html

Boston Globe
It's Marte, Mota, and Shoppach for Crisp, Riske, and Bard (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/23/source_sox_agree_to_crisp_deal/)
Survey Gallery: Inside the Deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/01_23_06_crisp/)

Boston Herald
Crisp, Gonzalez to get physical -- (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122555)
By Jeff Horrigan
Physical examinations appear the only thing standing in the way of the Red Sox announcing the additions of Coco Crisp and Alex Gonzalez to fill their holes in center... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122555)]

but the Akron paper says hold everything
Akron Beacon-Journal

Crisp not yet Boston bound (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/13689951.htm)

RoobarbPie
01-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Why were Shoppach and Bard included in the deal? I know that they are small parts, but wasn't Boston pretty high on Shoppach a few years ago?
Bards numbers that the herald article showed didn't look very impressive either, so I'd say Shoppach is probably an upgrade there too.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Why were Shoppach and Bard included in the deal? I know that they are small parts, but wasn't Boston pretty high on Shoppach a few years ago?
Bards numbers that the herald article showed didn't look very impressive either, so I'd say Shoppach is probably an upgrade there too.

Cleveland knows Boston is desperate for a CF. Boston got caught flatfooted when the Yankees signed Damon, they never thought anybody would go higher than 4 for 40.

nodiggity59
01-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't know why everyone is freaking out over Marte. At this point in his career, he can't even hold Crisp's jock.

Personally, I believe that prospects are reliable only in quantity, not quality. So, in the case of the Yanks (who traded away every single prospect they had), it eventually hurts you. But if there's anything KW has taught us, it's that if you can get an impact player for a non major league player, you do it.

Fenway
01-23-2006, 03:47 PM
"Crisp came from a long line of athletes; his mother and father, Loyce, both were former Olympians (Pam a sprinter, her husband a boxer). And even his sister had entrenched herself as one of the nation's top figure skaters."

"'Like I told his dad, the way (Crisp) sprays the ball he could have 50 doubles in that ballpark,' said Fick. 'Coco is a class act. They are going to love him.'" -- 1.23.06, Rob Bradford, Eagle-Tribune (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/15/etstory.pl?-sec-Sports+fn-crisp.123)

caulfield12
01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
media in Cleveland and Boston reporting the trade is a done deal PENDING a physical on Guillermo Mota.

Cleveland Plain Dealer
http://www.cleveland.com/newslogs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_plaindealer/archives/2006_01.html

Boston Globe
It's Marte, Mota, and Shoppach for Crisp, Riske, and Bard (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/23/source_sox_agree_to_crisp_deal/)
Survey Gallery: Inside the Deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/01_23_06_crisp/)

Boston Herald
Crisp, Gonzalez to get physical -- (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122555)
By Jeff Horrigan
Physical examinations appear the only thing standing in the way of the Red Sox announcing the additions of Coco Crisp and Alex Gonzalez to fill their holes in center... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122555)]

but the Akron paper says hold everything
Akron Beacon-Journal

Crisp not yet Boston bound (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/13689951.htm)

Interesting twist, apparently the Red Sox preferred Riske (Joe Crede will miss him, lol), who is a little like Keith Foulke, over Betancourt, who was earlier discussed as the reliever going. Or maybe Betancourt is still going for Mota and I missed something?

Fenway
01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
boston.com has an interesting take on the trade

Would you trade Edgar Renteria for straight up for Crisp, a switch-hitter who will cement the top of any team's lineup (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster) for years to come? Of course. And that is essentially what it comes down if you consider that Marte never actually donned a Red Sox uniform. He was nothing more than a bargaining chip in the end, creating a sense of false buzz among some in the Nation who thought he would be the next Wade Boggs. In the end, he wasn't even the next Wilton Veras.
Indians fans, on the other hand, have to be looking at this deal as a major step backward.
Yes, they are getting uber-prospect Marte in return, but let's not forget this is a team that won 93 games in 2005, and missed the playoffs only by virtue of their classic choke job in the final week of the season. Now fans need to witness another apparent rebuilding move. And if Marte is such a "sure-thing" prospect, can someone explain to me why it is that he's been traded twice within the last 50 days?

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/01/23/a_right_crispy_treat/index.html?p1=MEWell_Pos5

Flight #24
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
boston.com has an interesting take on the trade

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/01/23/a_right_crispy_treat/index.html?p1=MEWell_Pos5

Nice to conveniently neglect the $11M they sent along with Renteria, and the fact that they're also downgrading at RP and in the C prospect.....

The "real" trade as currently reported amounts to Renteria + $11M + Shoppach + Mota for Crisp + Riske + Josh Bard.

A. Cavatica
01-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Nice to conveniently neglect the $11M they sent along with Renteria, and the fact that they're also downgrading at RP and in the C prospect.....

The "real" trade as currently reported amounts to Renteria + $11M + Shoppach + Mota for Crisp + Riske + Josh Bard.

I'm not sure they're downgrading at C prospect. Shoppach was a hot prospect three years ago, but he's kind of fizzled out.

ondafarm
01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure they're downgrading at C prospect. Shoppach was a hot prospect three years ago, but he's kind of fizzled out.

A kid breaking in as a catcher at nearly 26 is not a major impact player. Sure he has pop in his bat but if he hasn't picked up the game and forced his way into the majors as at least a backup backstop by this time, then I wouldn't worry about Cleveland adding him.

munchman33
01-23-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I think the big deal is Cleveland losing Riske. With him and Howry gone, they're gonna have a ton to make up for. Quality relief arms are a lot harder to find than starting left-fielders.

Flight #24
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM

Well, when you're trading him for a 27-year old that's already had 500 MLB ABs and batted .238......

Josh Bard has little to no value. Even if Kelly Shoppach is a mid-level prospect, he's worth more.

EDIT: FWIW, Shoppach made BA's top 10 for Boston (#7).

Tekijawa
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Coco Crisp - OF - CLE (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6983) - Jan. 24 - 5:05 pm et WIP radio in Philadelphia is reporting that the Coco Crisp trade is being held up because Red Sox reliever Guillermo Mota failed his physical.
Concerns about Mota's elbow or shoulder are apparently providing a stumbling block, but they may not kill the deal. There's been talk of Red Sox reliever Manny Delcarmen being involved, with him maybe replacing Mota in the deal. It's also possible that David Riske could be taken out of the trade. If the Indians can get Andy Marte, they shouldn't let the relievers stand in the way. It's just too good of a trade for them. The Phillies would also come away disappointed if the Crisp deal doesn't go down, as they won't be getting Arthur Rhodes in return for Jason Michaels.

Fenway
01-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Coco Crisp - OF - CLE (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6983) - Jan. 24 - 5:05 pm et WIP radio in Philadelphia is reporting that the Coco Crisp trade is being held up because Red Sox reliever Guillermo Mota failed his physical.
Concerns about Mota's elbow or shoulder are apparently providing a stumbling block, but they may not kill the deal. There's been talk of Red Sox reliever Manny Delcarmen being involved, with him maybe replacing Mota in the deal. It's also possible that David Riske could be taken out of the trade. If the Indians can get Andy Marte, they shouldn't let the relievers stand in the way. It's just too good of a trade for them. The Phillies would also come away disappointed if the Crisp deal doesn't go down, as they won't be getting Arthur Rhodes in return for Jason Michaels.
(http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6983)

What the hell happened since he passed his physical after the Florida trade?

dickallen15
01-24-2006, 05:36 PM
What the hell happened since he passed his physical after the Florida trade?
Different doctor could mean a different result. Remember Mike Sirotka initially passing his physical with Toronto in the David Wells trade? Siro never pitched in the major leagues again.

Fenway
01-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Different doctor could mean a different result. Remember Mike Sirotka initially passing his physical with Toronto in the David Wells trade? Siro never pitched in the major leagues again.

Turns out Mota did NOT have a physical when he was traded to Boston WEEI is reporting. :o:

The Red Sox and Indians are furious that someone in the Phillies camp leaked the story about the Mota physical.

from the Philadelphia Inquirer
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/13702712.htm

Fenway
01-25-2006, 07:33 AM
the BS is flying now

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/thumbnails/507149_sports_01252006.jpg (http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/?title=PrintEditionSports)

Mota gets close look (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/25/mota_gets_close_look)
Adam Katz, agent for Guillermo Mota, denied a radio report out of Philadelphia last night that said Mota had failed his physical with the Indians yesterday. However, Katz acknowledged that the Indians raised issues with Mota's right shoulder, which could kill, or require revision to, the six-player deal that would bring Coco Crisp to Boston

Mota's shoulder stalls Red Sox trade (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1138181602163710.xml&coll=2)
The Indians, worried about the condition of Guillermo Mota's right shoulder, have put Coco Crisp's trade to Boston on hold.
Mota came to Cleveland on Tuesday to take a physical. If he passed, Crisp, David Riske and Josh Bard would have been on their way to Boston for third base prospect Andy Marte, Mota and catcher Kelly Shoppach. The Indians' concern about Mota's shoulder might not kill the deal, but may cause it to be reworked.

Crisp trade apparently off (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/13706344.htm)
Tribe's three-team deal hits snag when Boston's Mota fails physical
Apparently, the Indians will have to start all over again if they want to consummate a deal for Boston Red Sox third-base prospect Andy Marte and Philadelphia Phillies outfielder Jason Michaels.

Crisp trade put on hold (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122874)
By Michael Silverman/ Red Sox Notebook
Because reliever Guillermo Mota reportedly failed his physical in Cleveland yesterday, the Red Sox will have to restructure their... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122874)]

Flight #24
01-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Turns out Mota did NOT have a physical when he was traded to Boston WEEI is reporting. :o:

The Red Sox and Indians are furious that someone in the Phillies camp leaked the story about the Mota physical.

Yup, it's official - their ex-co-GM :rolleyes: supposedly just said they "reviewed medical records" but didn't actualy examine the players in that trade.

Gee, no chance that oversight had anything to do with turmoil in the FO at the time, right? Nah - everything's been run perfectly smoothly.

This gets hilariouser and hilariouser by the minute. So as of now the Red Sox have questions on Mota's availability, and still have no CF or SS.......

Mickster
01-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Yup, it's official - their ex-co-GM :rolleyes: supposedly just said they "reviewed medical records" but didn't actualy examine the players in that trade.

Gee, no chance that oversight had anything to do with turmoil in the FO at the time, right? Nah - everything's been run perfectly smoothly.

This gets hilariouser and hilariouser by the minute. So as of now the Red Sox have questions on Mota's availability, and still have no CF or SS.......

http://www.tdbanknorthgarden.com/homemenu/main_circus05.jpg

Fenway
01-26-2006, 08:22 PM
the former Red Sox team doctor ( the one that patched Schilling up ) rips the team and new doctor

DOCTOR MORGAN RIPS SOX ON PHYSICALS (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-drmorgansn.0126-20060126-)
"'When I heard it yesterday, that these guys didn't have physicals, I thought, 'What is going on!? This didn't happen on my watch, did it?' said Dr. William Morgan, the (former) Red Sox's team physician.

"'That's unacceptable. Let me put it this way, the only way to really understand what is really going on with a player or a pitcher is to put your hands on them, talk to them and physically examine them. I lend much less credence to studies than to physical examinations. This was a point of discussion between myself and the administration in regards to Pedro Martinez, for example. We had a questionable MRI, but the physical examination was perfect and the performance was perfect.

"'Any physician that does not examine a patient I don't care if it's a professional baseball player or Joe Blow living down the street you aren't serving your patient completely.'" -- 1.26.06, Rob Bradford, Eagle-Tribune (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-drmorgansn.0126-20060126-)

meanwhile

Indians are having second thoughts about trading Coco

The Red Sox and Indians continued to talk to each other -- as well as to a potential third club, the Reds -- on Thursday. But there were indications that the Indians were beginning to have second thoughts about dealing Crisp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2307396

dickallen15
01-27-2006, 01:09 AM

That's unbelievable to me. The Red Sox got a free exam from the Cleveland doctors though.:?:

Ol' No. 2
01-27-2006, 09:44 AM
meanwhile

Indians are having second thoughts about trading Coco

It's a bit of a stretch to assume they had a first thought. This would not have benefitted them.

Fenway
01-27-2006, 10:31 AM
It's a bit of a stretch to assume they had a first thought. This would not have benefitted them.

Shelly Ocker of the Akron Beacon-Journal has been the only writer that has been on top of this since the story broke. He is one of the best baseball beat writers going anywhere.

http://www.ohio.com/images/ohio/ohio/13708/thumb_187916953188.jpg
Red Sox haven't quite given up (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/baseball/mlb/cleveland_indians/13724891.htm)
Boston still hoping to get Indians' Crisp as Damon's replacement
As the sun began to set over Northeast Ohio late Thursday afternoon, it appeared the chances of the Indians and Boston Red Sox consummating a trade for Coco Crisp had diminished to almost nothing.