PDA

View Full Version : MLB's top OF's by team

KRS1
01-22-2006, 12:22 AM
We came in a close second to Atlanta. Aaron was tops in Center and Pods 3rd in left. Read the article, share your thoughts, etc....

Oh yeah I have to wonder if this includes the balls that Pods loses in the sun and Aaron caught?

http://baseballexaminer.com/statoftheweek/1-18-06.htm

Also, if you click the link to statoftheweek.com, they have a factoid on who threw the most 100+mph pitches last year. Number 6, you guessed it Bobby, with 10. You gotta have him as the favorite next season considering how little he played compared to the others.

ChiSoxGirl
01-22-2006, 12:39 AM
We came in a close second to Atlanta. Aaron was tops in Center and Pods 3rd in left. Read the article, share your thoughts, etc....

Oh yeah I have to wonder if this includes the balls that Pods loses in the sun and Aaron caught?

http://baseballexaminer.com/statoftheweek/1-18-06.htm

Also, if you click the link to statoftheweek.com, they have a factoid on who threw the most 100+mph pitches last year. Number 6, you guessed it Bobby, with 10. You gotta have him as the favorite next season considering how little he played compared to the others.

Two interestings things I found about that article were that former Sox farmhand Jeremy Reed was right behind Rowand in the rankings, and the darlings of the American League and everyone's favorite baseball team- the Yankees- have the worst outfield. To think... all this time, I thought "Godzilla" was the king of centerfielders and his highly-touted royal subjects to his left & right were just as impeccable in the outfield! :rolleyes:

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
and the darlings of the American League and everyone's favorite baseball team- the Yankees- have the worst outfield. To think... all this time, I thought "Godzilla" was the king of centerfielders and his highly-touted royal subjects to his left & right were just as impeccable in the outfield! :rolleyes:
Living out East, I see too many Shankees games. And sure I think their OF D was very poor last year. It was bad in 2003 and 2004 as well. I don't have any stats to match this site but I saw too many balls hit to NYY OF that dropped.

That was not the same Yankee teams of the late 90's.

The other point is how does this site track people who play different OF positions. Yes Matusi (sp?) played CF more last year but IIRC correctly he played more in LF last year.

Still an interesting site.

ChiSoxGirl
01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Living out East, I see too many Shankees games. And sure I think their OF D was very poor last year. It was bad in 2003 and 2004 as well. I don't have any stats to match this site but I saw too many balls hit to NYY OF that dropped.

That was not the same Yankee teams of the late 90's.

Nothing about that Yankees team is the same as it was in the late 90s, or early in this decade for that matter. Yes, their lineup may still be the same, but they could all be doing ads for Geritol and people wouldn't know the difference! And their pitching staff... MERCY! Their pitching is in such disarray, it's a joke; they're either all hurt, injury-prone, or just too old. Looks like we got the last laugh on them with Contreras, too, which I LOVE! :cool:

KRS1
01-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Nothing about that Yankees team is the same as it was in the late 90s, or early in this decade for that matter. Yes, their lineup may still be the same, but they could all be doing ads for Geritol and people wouldn't know the difference! And their pitching staff... MERCY! Their pitching is in such disarray, it's a joke; they're either all hurt, injury-prone, or just too old. Looks like we got the last laugh on them with Contreras, too, which I LOVE! :cool:

El Duque was a pretty good bargain too fi you ask me, he didnt put up his numbers of the old(radar gun or stats), but got us outta one heck of a jam when it mattered. That man had you know whats of steel.
Hopefully Vasquez takes a few steps in the right direction this year while RJ is busy sucking it up in NY, furthuring KW's place above Cashman in the new millenium.

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 01:12 AM

And this is a problem?? I love it that the Yankees are old and no good. I love that the Red Sox are equally bad -- old pitching.

I only hope that they both stay this way for oh about 40 years...

chisox56
01-22-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm surprised Torri Hunter wasn't on the list, I guess the list wasn't biased like the gold glove voting.

KRS1
01-22-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm surprised Torri Hunter wasn't on the list, I guess the list wasn't biased like the gold glove voting.

Zing!!!!

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Are you suggesting that a guy who played in only 98 games last year (5 as DH) isn't worthy of a mention? For shame!

:rolleyes:

CredeGoldGlove
01-22-2006, 02:13 PM
podsednik is a +20 but dye is a -4?

soxruleEP
01-22-2006, 05:05 PM

Just what I thought when I saw the total number for the Sox. If their system says that Dye was below average in right I would have to say their system is flawed. The biggest change in the Sox defense this season was the number of gappers that didn't roll to the wall, not to mention the fact that runners are very leary of trying to take an extra base on Dye's arm.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Alot of people talk **** about podsedniks arm. I disagree because i dont find him to be that weak. A plus of his is that he doesnt need to worry about getting a fast throw off to home because with his great speed he gets to the ball so quickly hes one step ahead of the runner at 3rd. especially with his sliding catches, that gives him time when the runner tags up.

ilsox7
01-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Alot of people talk **** about podsedniks arm. I disagree because i dont find him to be that weak. A plus of his is that he doesnt need to worry about getting a fast throw off to home because with his great speed he gets to the ball so quickly hes one step ahead of the runner at 3rd. especially with his sliding catches, that gives him time when the runner tags up.

His arm is still extremely weak, as was evidenced in the World Series.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:58 PM
If i had a choice id take him in left field anyday. The point is that he gets the job done. He gets to the ball quickly. What if it came down to a sacrafice of scotts "weak" arm and speed to someone witha strong arm and slow. Id take the quickness.

ilsox7
01-22-2006, 06:19 PM
If i had a choice id take him in left field anyday. The point is that he gets the job done. He gets to the ball quickly. What if it came down to a sacrafice of scotts "weak" arm and speed to someone witha strong arm and slow. Id take the quickness.

When it comes to throwing the ball, he is below average. Teams run on him and will continue to run on him. This does not mean I don't want him out there, it is just a big weakness of his.

IlliniSox4Life
01-22-2006, 06:23 PM

I wonder what happened to all the fast guys with good arms?

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 06:30 PM

I'm with Joe here. I realize that Pods arm is weak but he gets to the ball quickly and his release is quick. It just is not strong.

I remember in the ALDS he held two Red Sox runners (Manny and one other) to singles IIRC in Game 2 with getting balls off the wall or into the gap and back to Uribe in no time flat.

Can you tag up and run on Pods yup but he does cover ground and get the ball into the cut off very well -- just not as quickly as I would like. But still IMO an abv. ave. defensive OF.

Now I will duck as the hurls come my way. :D:

IlliniSox4Life
01-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I remember in the ALDS he held two Red Sox runners (Manny and one other) to singles IIRC in Game 2 with getting balls off the wall or into the gap and back to Uribe in no time flat.

First of all, I don't think anyone here doesn't like Pods, all people are saying is that it is true he does not have the greatest arm. Does he make up for it other ways? Yes, he does, but there ARE times when a fielder with a stronger arm could make a play Pods couldn't. Doest that mean we'd rather have the other guy? No, not necesarily. Pods is probably better at him at certain things. Like stealing bases.

However, I could hold Manny to a single. He isn't exactly the most entusiastic ball player when it comes to running the bases.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 06:46 PM
However, I could hold Manny to a single. He isn't exactly the most entusiastic ball player when it comes to running the bases.

LMAO. ok that really did make me laugh my a$$ off

chaerulez
01-22-2006, 06:53 PM

Could be a range factor and doesn't account for arm strength.

soxfanreggie
01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Interesting...Rowand was the top center fielder but Torii Hunter won the Gold Glove...oh well, maybe Aaron will let Torii touch his WS ring. He's not in a spot to get one anytime soon.

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 07:49 PM
First of all, I don't think anyone here doesn't like Pods, all people are saying is that it is true he does not have the greatest arm. Does he make up for it other ways? Yes, he does, but there ARE times when a fielder with a stronger arm could make a play Pods couldn't. Doest that mean we'd rather have the other guy? No, not necesarily. Pods is probably better at him at certain things. Like stealing bases.

I see your point and we are in agreement on liking Pods and despite his weak arm. But I think he does get as much out of his skills as anyone. Again, he has range and he gets the ball back quickly.

As for Manny sure he does not run hard. But Pods did it to twice -- when we were not in the lead -- in Game 2 that kept them out of scoring position and Pods' ability to get the ball back quickly was the major part. I doubt C Lee would have held even Manny to a single.

So I guess you can outplay Carlos in LF as well :redneck you are a better player than me.

KRS1
01-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Just what I thought when I saw the total number for the Sox. If their system says that Dye was below average in right I would have to say their system is flawed. The biggest change in the Sox defense this season was the number of gappers that didn't roll to the wall, not to mention the fact that runners are very leary of trying to take an extra base on Dye's arm.

This is not a knock on what he did for us last year b/c he was a solid RF for us. However, I do recall a few balls popping out of his mitt as well as an overan ball that dropped behind him.