PDA

View Full Version : Borchard back in AA?

Champ Summers
01-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Check out MLB's site, they list the rosters for all minor league affiliates for each team. Borchard listed back at AA, among other surprises. The man was basically the best hitter in the league outside of Ben Broussard, to go along with being a college age player who should move quickly. Perhaps they didn't like the strikeouts, but the Power, Patience, and decent average were all there. Perhaps they will update this later.

Daver
01-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
Check out MLB's site, they list the rosters for all minor league affiliates for each team. Borchard listed back at AA, among other surprises. The man was basically the best hitter in the league outside of Ben Broussard, to go along with being a college age player who should move quickly. Perhaps they didn't like the strikeouts, but the Power, Patience, and decent average were all there. Perhaps they will update this later.

It's a good possibility that he will stay in Birmingham till he gets called up,they have a regular hitting instructor at AA but just a hitting coach at AAA Charlotte.

But then again what the hell do I know?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Double-A is where all of the best young prospects are kept. For example, Frank Thomas made the jump straight from Birmingham to the Sox in 1990.

Like most teams, the Sox use Double-A to get their best ballplayers ready for the Show. Triple-A is for older players who simply have no spot on the MLB team's 25-man roster. Many of the ballplayers there have big league experience. Some of them are simply hanging on, hoping for a trade (or injury) to give them their next chance at the big leagues.

Borchard spending another year at Double-A does not affect his chances of reaching the parent club at all. If anything, it shows the club is still grooming him for bigger and better things.

Five million dollar signing bonuses have a way of buying you lots of opportunity. :cool:

:KW
"I'll make sure the boss gets his money's worth!"

:reinsy
"I didn't get rich being dumb."

:tool
"I got rich selling used cars to people who are dumb."

:ohno
"We bet most of them were Brewers fans, too."

"Yup."

danman31
01-03-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Double-A is where all of the best young prospects are kept. For example, Frank Thomas made the jump straight from Birmingham to the Sox in 1990.

Like most teams, the Sox use Double-A to get their best ballplayers ready for the Show. Triple-A is for older players who simply have no spot on the MLB team's 25-man roster. Many of the ballplayers there have big league experience. Some of them are simply hanging on, hoping for a trade (or injury) to give them their next chance at the big leagues.
Let's not forget that Jon Garland played a lot of AAA ball. It may be different for pitchers though. Beuhrle was called up from AA, so maybe it's just coincidence with him. Garland and Kip Wells both played a good amount of AAA. Garland was young too, the youngest in the league at 20.

Iguana775
01-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"I got rich selling used cars to people who are dumb."

[/B]

"Hey, i bought a car from him...."

bjmarte
01-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

:ohno
"We know"

doublem23
01-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

No, no, no... He traded in three other cars for the one he got from King Bud...

kermittheefrog
01-03-2002, 09:52 PM
There is no way Borchard will stay in AA. Only prospects that dissapoint get stalled a level. I'm sure as soon as the season starts he'll be placed in AAA.

Vsahajpal
01-07-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
There is no way Borchard will stay in AA. Only prospects that dissapoint get stalled a level. I'm sure as soon as the season starts he'll be placed in AAA.

I'm with kermit on this one. Lord knows the man can hit a fastball, they wanted to see if he could play center, he handled the switch quite well (playing at Yellowston..er, Hoover Met). Now it's just a matter of him gaining better pitch recognition, and imo, Charlotte is the place to do it. He's not going to be seeing 2-0, 3-1 fastballs 90% of the time at triple-A.

Having said that, IF he does begin at Birmingham, I'd expect him to do what Adam Dunn did last year (jumping to AAA from the Southern League in a month or two, and then reaching the big leagues after the break).

duke of dorwood
01-07-2002, 11:03 AM
I agree that the best prospects skip triple A and only end up there AFTER a stint in the majors. I wonder what the players think about going from AA to AAA. If they psychologically feel its a promotion from AA to AAA? I'd like to hear that from one of them.

czalgosz
01-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I agree that the best prospects skip triple A and only end up there AFTER a stint in the majors. I wonder what the players think about going from AA to AAA. If they psychologically feel its a promotion from AA to AAA? I'd like to hear that from one of them.

Well, Frank Thomas jumped from double-A to the majors, but he was ready after two years in the minors. Borchard isn't at the same level as a hitter as Thomas was - Thomas had all that power as well as incredible plate discipline when he was in AA. Borchard has shown that he can hit, but he needs to learn discipline. to keep him in AA would be a waste.

And, in any case, they set minor-league assignments during Spring Training. Borchard will try out for the big club, and if he doesn't make it (which he probably won't), they'll assign him then - most likely to AAA.

Huisj
01-07-2002, 05:22 PM
I don't think there is necessarily a written rule about whether a prospect goes to AAA or not. Sure, Thomas, as well as a number of other Sox prospects (Alvarez, I think maybe Ventura, Kip Wells) have skipped AAA, but that was mostly because they reached the point where they could be called up in the middle of the year. On the other hand, some prospects have not been ready to call up in the middle of their AA season, and have then gone on to play in AAA the next season (Garland comes to mind). It's more a matter of timing of when a player will be called up--If they've spent a whole year at AA, but aren't yet called up, they will almost always go to AAA the next season. They don't get stalled at one level for more than a year.

RichH55
01-07-2002, 07:45 PM
Borchard will get every oppurtunity and more to make the club permanently come 2003....Could see alot of shakeup between now and then, but Joe will be in that outfield come 2003