PDA

View Full Version : Yanks, Mets Closer To New Parks

Fenway
01-21-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-stadium0119.artjan19,0,3024114.story?coll=hc-headlines-baseball

Including infrastructure costs, the Yankees' stadium project will cost a total of $1.2 billion, while the Mets' plan will cost $600 million.

1.2 BILLION????? :o:

SOXintheBURGH
01-21-2006, 03:53 PM
How dare they tear down that monument, that shrine to baseball known as Shea Stadium!?

Fenway
01-21-2006, 03:55 PM
:roflmao: :worship:

How dare they tear down that monument, that shrine to baseball known as Shea Stadium!?

Baby Fisk
01-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Shea is nice and all, for the first half hour. I got sick of the airplanes plenty quick. :mad:

Clembasbal
01-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Shea is nice and all, for the first half hour. I got sick of the airplanes plenty quick. :mad:

I didn't like Shea, that ridiclous "Box" Seating this is off the wall, if they even still have that. The place was just an opened up cookie cutter.

Not a good place to watch a game, though Flushing Meadows seemed like a nice area.

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2006, 05:01 PM
:o:

How is it the Yankees will be putting together a stadium that costs DOUBLE that of the Mets?

soxinem1
01-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I remember the rats running around.... especially during some of the real
lean years.

Yeah, Shea is a great Landmark! It will be missed. :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Shea is a great Landmark! It will be missed. :rolleyes:

:tealpolice:

soxfanreggie
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, if your house is supposed to cost no more than five years pay, your stadium could cost six years salary.

MiamiSpartan
01-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Good to see it. They both need new parks. Pretty disgusting that they can get two new parks, and Miami could not build one. The state just had to pony up $60 mil, and they still could not get it done...Too busy worrying about Castro.

TheOldRoman
01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Yep. The Mets really should have built the new stadium in Brooklyn. Instead, they are putting it right next to Shea. It will be infinately nicer, but there will still be airplanes flying overheard.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, if your house is supposed to cost no more than five years pay, your stadium could cost six years salary.

Interesting.

Who owns the land the yanks need? maybe that has to do with it. the new stadium looks like crap if you ask me, and to think of all the guff we get for the Cell.

Fenway
01-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Interesting.

Who owns the land the yanks need? maybe that has to do with it. the new stadium looks like crap if you ask me, and to think of all the guff we get for the Cell.

The City of New York ( which gets the old stadium land )

and Baby Fisk the new park will still have the planes as they not planning on moving LGA

Baby Fisk
01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Yep. The Mets really should have built the new stadium in Brooklyn. Instead, they are putting it right next to Shea. It will be infinately nicer, but there will still be airplanes flying overheard.
Agreed -- Brooklyn would be neat, even tho Mets might not make the most sense as a team name for a Brooklyn-based team.

Brian26
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
:o:

How is it the Yankees will be putting together a stadium that costs DOUBLE that of the Mets?

Higher infrastructure costs around the stadium.

Stroker Ace
01-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Shea is nice and all, for the first half hour. I got sick of the airplanes plenty quick. :mad:I don't mind the airplanes. But the Mets need a new stadium BADLY.

Hangar18
01-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't mind the airplanes. But the Mets need a new stadium BADLY.

I dont mind the airplanes either. The Mets need new team colors BADLY

Baby Fisk
01-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I dont mind the airplanes either. The Mets need new team colors BADLY
No, they just need to go back to their OLD colours.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/features/1999/69_mets_popup/seaver_sm.jpg

Terrific! :thumbsup:

skobabe8
01-25-2006, 09:58 AM
No, they just need to go back to their OLD colours.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/features/1999/69_mets_popup/seaver_sm.jpg

Terrific! :thumbsup:

Step 1: LOSE THE BLACK!!

elrod
01-26-2006, 01:05 AM
I remember going out to Shea as a kid and I used to love the airplanes. I remember Rusty Staub used to always step out of the box when the planes flew over. Strangely, nobody else did that.

Shea was great in its day, but it's time for a new park. Flushing Meadows is a nice area. Interestingly, the Flushing Public Library is the most heavily used library in America. The neighborhood is one of the largest concentrations of Korean Americans in this country.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 08:28 AM
If the new Mets park stays in Flushing, will they at least have the presence of mind to angle the outfield towards Manhattan? Right now the outfield overlooks a glorious, endless stretch of nothing! As if to make up for it, they installed that cheesy fake Manhattan skyline over the scoreboard.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/nl/shea880.jpg

Mercy, those upper deck seats are pretty high and steep, don't you think...

Hangar18
01-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Can anyone POST pictures of these proposed 2 new parks?

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Can anyone POST pictures of these proposed 2 new parks?
Check out this website Hangar: Ballparks of Baseball (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/FutureBallparks.htm)

MisterB
01-26-2006, 09:47 AM
If the new Mets park stays in Flushing, will they at least have the presence of mind to angle the outfield towards Manhattan? Right now the outfield overlooks a glorious, endless stretch of nothing! As if to make up for it, they installed that cheesy fake Manhattan skyline over the scoreboard.

This is a practical impossibility. If the park faces the Manhattan skyline, it also puts the afternoon sun in the batter's eyes, and any attempt to block the sun would cut off the skyline view as well, defeating the whole purpose. Actually before Camden Yards opened, I can't think of a ballpark that really had a skyline view. Even at Old Comiskey, you couldn't see downtown except from a few specific places in the park.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 09:51 AM
This is a practical impossibility. If the park faces the Manhattan skyline, it also puts the afternoon sun in the batter's eyes, and any attempt to block the sun would cut off the skyline view as well, defeating the whole purpose. Actually before Camden Yards opened, I can't think of a ballpark that really had a skyline view. Even at Old Comiskey, you couldn't see downtown except from a few specific places in the park.
Good point. Thanks for pointing that out. What about turning the stadium south, to possibly over look the old World's Fair site and tennis complex? I'm grasping here.

Hangar18
01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Check out this website Hangar: Ballparks of Baseball (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/FutureBallparks.htm)

Thanks Fisk. Ive got to say, both ballparks are UGLY. The New Yankee stadiums upper deck is about as steep and far-reaching as our upper deck was. Heck the stands all resemble current Shea. yechhh.
And what is it with the NY Mets? They want to build an exact replica of Ebbets Field, the former home of the BROOKLYN DODGERS. If anyone should rebuild Ebbets, it should be the Dodgers, not the Mets. Talk about grasping for an identity, this team every step of the way is just trying anything to be noticed.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Fisk. Ive got to say, both ballparks are UGLY. The New Yankee stadiums upper deck is about as steep and far-reaching as our upper deck was. Heck the stands all resemble current Shea. yechhh.
And what is it with the NY Mets? They want to build an exact replica of Ebbets Field, the former home of the BROOKLYN DODGERS. If anyone should rebuild Ebbets, it should be the Dodgers, not the Mets. Talk about grasping for an identity, this team every step of the way is just trying anything to be noticed.
The current Yankee Stadium is a big structure with a high & steep upper deck. They clearly intend to re-create that with the new stadium: grandiosity instead of intimacy.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I kinda like the new Yankee park, personally. That grand entrance looks kind of rad, as does the concourse. The Marlins park on that site is hideous though.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
The Marlins park on that site is hideous though.
Good thing it will never get built.

On that subject, the proposed new Montreal stadium (Labatt Park) was intriguing, but also never made it off the draftsman's board. linky (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/monbpk.htm)

Fenway
01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Baby Fisk

Weren't the Blue Jays making noise that Skydome was outdated for baseball and they were looking for a new park?

TheOldRoman
01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
And what is it with the NY Mets? They want to build an exact replica of Ebbets Field, the former home of the BROOKLYN DODGERS. If anyone should rebuild Ebbets, it should be the Dodgers, not the Mets. Talk about grasping for an identity, this team every step of the way is just trying anything to be noticed. BF is wrong about the parks. The parks on that page have been up there for a couple of years. It talks about them being proposed in 2001. While it looks like the Yankees stuck with that model, the Mets have changed it since then. They haven't yet released sketches of the new park.

Edit: The Yankee Stadium page has been updated. The pictures on there we released after they announced the new park. Mets' Park still hasn't been released, though.

Also, of course the upperdeck is steep in those parks. It is steep in every park. The UDs in Coors, Cleveland, and Baltimore are all steeper than at the Cell. I believe Coors Field (one of the most treasured parks) has the steepest upperdeck of them all. It doesn't matter for those parks because they dont have in town competition owned by an unscrupulous newspaper who prints nothing but negative stories about their park.

They are building a park like Ebbets Field because that is the park most of their fanbase age 55 and older grew up watching baseball in. The Mets were created to give baseball to former Dodgers and Giants fans. I see nothing wrong with this.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 11:12 AM
BF is wrong about the parks. The parks on that page have been up there for a couple of years. While it looks like the Yankees stuck with that model, the Mets have changed it since then. They haven't yet released sketches of the new park.
The description of the Mets stadium on that page indicates that they have scrapped the idea of a retractable roof, however still intend to echo the look of Ebbets Field. Those Yankee drawings were released last year.

TheOldRoman
01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
The description of the Mets stadium on that page indicates that they have scrapped the idea of a retractable roof, however still intend to echo the look of Ebbets Field. Those Yankee drawings were released last year.
Ok, I didn't reread the whole thing. I hadn't heard that about the Mets park, so we will have to wait and see when the release the pictures. Im sure they had to change some things (other than the roof).

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Ok, I didn't reread the whole thing. I hadn't heard that about the Mets park, so we will have to wait and see when the release the pictures. Im sure they had to change some things (other than the roof).
Maybe they can construct a gigantic rolling carport roof that can be shifted from one stadium to the other. If Kansas City can have that, why can't New York City?

Hangar18
01-26-2006, 03:54 PM
They are building a park like Ebbets Field because that is the park most of their fanbase age 55 and older grew up watching baseball in. The Mets were created to give baseball to former Dodgers and Giants fans. I see nothing wrong with this.

I see .............

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2006, 04:11 PM

I was always under the impression that most Mets fans were old National League fans that could no longer see the Giants and Dodgers play.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I was always under the impression that most Mets fans were old National League fans that could no longer see the Giants and Dodgers play.
Initially yes, the Met fanbase comprised of heartbroken Dodger and Giant fans who couldn't bring themselves to root for the Yankees.

Fenway
01-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Initially yes, the Met fanbase comprised of heartbroken Dodger and Giant fans who couldn't bring themselves to root for the Yankees.

That is the reason the Mets colors are blue and orange, the colors of the Dodgers and Giants

MiamiSpartan
01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I kinda like the new Yankee park, personally. That grand entrance looks kind of rad, as does the concourse. The Marlins park on that site is hideous though.
Yea, that one sucks. The one they were wanting to build on the Bay was pretty sweet. If they even stay in town (big "if"), the only site left is in Hialeah, which is the arm pit of South Florida. Gawd only knows what monstrocity they would try to build there.