PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't like Brian Giles?

MattSharp
01-03-2002, 02:02 PM
I have to be honest I do not want to see the Sox dump and young players on him. He has some great upsides:

He's hit over .300 the past three years, 35+ HRs and over 100 RBIs twice in last 3 years. Hes got speed and a great arm in right, all with a terribly weak lineup.

BUT

Hes 30-years old, and in my opinion an older version of what Joe Borchard could be. The Sox lineup is already crowded and even though this trade would requite giving up someone like Lee, Giles is worth too much money to ride the bench. So if you get him and Borchard and Rowand are ready and step it up will you bench the youngsters over Giles?

I don' think he is worth giving up what we have for something we really don't need.

Daver
01-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I have to be honest I do not want to see the Sox dump and young players on him. He has some great upsides:

He's hit over .300 the past three years, 35+ HRs and over 100 RBIs twice in last 3 years. Hes got speed and a great arm in right, all with a terribly weak lineup.

BUT

Hes 30-years old, and in my opinion an older version of what Joe Borchard could be. The Sox lineup is already crowded and even though this trade would requite giving up someone like Lee, Giles is worth too much money to ride the bench. So if you get him and Borchard and Rowand are ready and step it up will you bench the youngsters over Giles?

I don' think he is worth giving up what we have for something we really don't need.

What we don't need is Mr.Adventure wandering aimlessly in left feild watching fly balls go over his head.I would have no problem trading Carlos Lee.

hold2dibber
01-03-2002, 04:12 PM
With Giles, you're getting a gamer who is absolutely in his prime, and is a bona fide star. Plus, he is a left handed hitter, which the Sox desparately need in the middle of that lineup. Sure, Joe Borchard might be as good as Giles, but he also might be as "good" as Ivan Calderon or Ben Grieve, or he could blow out his knee. Although I love Rowand's tenacity and love for the game, I don't think he's ever going to be a star. Plus, Borchard is at least a year away and Rowand may be too. The division is absolutely up for grabs this year. When you've been to the post season three times in fifty years and you haven't won a WS for 80 some years, you have to strike when the iron is hot. If the Sox could move any three of C. Lee, Rowand, Durham, Wright, Glover, Parque, Biddle, Malone, Liefer, and/or Singleton for Giles, I'd do it in a heart beat. They'd have a monsterous line up for the nexy three years, and if a few of the young pitchers step up, the Sox could be the best AL team West of NYC.

czalgosz
01-03-2002, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't mind trading Lee for Giles, but the Pirates aren't that stupid. It would be more like Buerhle + Lee + Rauch for Giles, which would be painful. Giles is a truly productive ballplayer, but the Sox would have to gamble away their future for him.

MattSharp
01-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If the Sox could move any three of C. Lee, Rowand, Durham, Wright, Glover, Parque, Biddle, Malone, Liefer, and/or Singleton for Giles, I'd do it in a heart beat.

I agree that Durham, Parques, Biddle, Liefer, Singleton, Rowand, are all expendable. It the Sox could get Giles for any 2-4 of those I would take it. But if requires giving up Buerhle, Rauch, Garland, Borchard, or a few other I say no way.

czalgosz
01-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Corwin Malone has more potential as a pitcher, IMO, than Jon Garland does. I wouldn't have him on the "tradeable" list, but other than that, I agree.

Daver
01-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Corwin Malone has more potential as a pitcher, IMO, than Jon Garland does. I wouldn't have him on the "tradeable" list, but other than that, I agree.

There is not many players on this team that would be considered un-tradeable,you gotta remember who is calling the shots.

:reinsy

Hey remember me?

:KW

Are you trying to say I'm not in charge?

:reinsy

I think you need to look at that autograph on your paycheck again Kenny.

czalgosz
01-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by daver

There is not many players on this team that would be considered un-tradeable,you gotta remember who is calling the shots.

Well, if that's the case, I don't think that Reinsdorf would allow KW to trade away cheap prospects for expensive veterans...

longshot7
01-04-2002, 02:56 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like Brian Giles?

Well, yes.