PDA

View Full Version : If the Mets get Juan will they win the WS?

MattSharp
01-03-2002, 12:46 PM
If the Mets add Juan they would have pretty much upgraded their entire lineup. Do you think this lineup will be enough to go all the way?

CF Roger Cedeno
2B Roberto Alomar
C Mike Piazza
RF Juan Gonzalez
1B Mo Vaughn
3B Edgardo Alfonzo
LF Jay Payton
SS Rey Ordonez

Can anyone pose a better 2-6 hittters in baseball? Maybe the Yankees but thats it!

hold2dibber
01-03-2002, 12:53 PM
That would be quite an impressive lineup (I think the Pale Hose projected 2-6, Valentin, Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko and C. Lee are awfully impressive, though not quite as good as the Mets - if they could somehow swing a deal for Giles, I'd like our's better), but I don't think they have the pitching to get it done. I'd still take the Yankees or Mariners; but the Mets would be awfully close.

danman31
01-03-2002, 01:00 PM
The Mets don't have enough pitching to even talk about the WS, esp. after trading Appier. After Leiter they don't have much pitching, it's obvious they are looking for starters.

MattSharp
01-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by danman31
The Mets don't have enough pitching to even talk about the WS, esp. after trading Appier. After Leiter they don't have much pitching, it's obvious they are looking for starters.

So you don't think Estes can replace Appier?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2002, 01:08 PM
I guess the Mets are desperate to draw attention to themselves by any means necessary. It must be tough competing with Steinbrenner for headlines.

Do you think Gonzalez will make the transition smoothly to the National League? He has a reputation for pouting. I'm guessing he would much prefer staying in the A.L.

It might be different if Shea Stadium had short power alleys. JuanGon likes pretty offensive stats. He pouted in Texas when The Ballpark opened, and he pouted again in Detroit at Comerica Park.

:hurt
"My numbers aren't inflated. I've spent my entire career at Comiskey. I've never complained, either."

czalgosz
01-03-2002, 01:25 PM
No player can guarantee a World Series. Besides that lineup is pretty good, but it's not as good as the Indians lineups from 94-99, and they never won a World Series. the Mets don't have decent pitching, therefore they will not win. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the playoffs.

danman31
01-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
So you don't think Estes can replace Appier?
Look at their rotation and you tell me if that's all they need.

1.Leiter-they're set here, no doubt
2.Estes-he's solid, a little weak for a #2 if you want a WS
3.Trachsel-awful, just awful
4.Rusch-see #3
5.Chen-he's ok, but they need pitching obviously.

Basically they need at least 1 more starter to get Trachsel out of the rotation and 2 starters would be nice.

FarWestChicago
01-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Estes was regularly shelled during the Gain'ts push for the division championship last year. They finally pulled him out of the rotation. Whatever his numbers are, I think there has to be some concern whether he wears a noose out to the mound during crunch time. The Mets are going nowhere with that rotation.

Spiff
01-03-2002, 02:40 PM

4.Rusch-see #3

Basically they need at least 1 more starter to get Trachsel out of the rotation and 2 starters would be nice.

RE: Rusch. Not awful.

July 14 against the Red Sox
8 IP 1H 1 BB 10 K
Faced the minimum.

Granted he had some bad outings, but he has shown signs that he can bring it.

danman31
01-03-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Estes was regularly shelled during the Gain'ts push for the division championship last year. They finally pulled him out of the rotation. Whatever his numbers are, I think there has to be some concern whether he wears a noose out to the mound during crunch time. The Mets are going nowhere with that rotation.
Ok, I didn't know that and I was going on reputation. Now the Mets need a TON of help in the rotation.

danman31
01-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
RE: Rusch. Not awful.

July 14 against the Red Sox
8 IP 1H 1 BB 10 K
Faced the minimum.

Granted he had some bad outings, but he has shown signs that he can bring it.
Ok, Rusch is below average. The guy is 27, he should've reached his prime by now and he hasn't.

duke of dorwood
01-03-2002, 03:47 PM
No, they still have Valentine as manager

Foulke You
01-03-2002, 06:33 PM
The Mets do have pitching question marks beyond Leiter. One thing is for sure though is that if the Mets are in contention, you KNOW they will make whatever deal they need to get an arm or 2 for the stretch run. As far as their lineup goes, it is impressive provided they all stay healthy. Mo has a history of being injury prone and hasn't even smelled a season like he had in his years with Boston. Remember that "can't miss" lineup that the Rangers had last year? This year's Mets remind me of last year's Rangers. All power and no pitching. Although the Mets pitching is nowhere near as bad as Texas was last year. Trading Appier for an injury prone Mo Vaughn who would be best as a DH somewhere was not a smart move in my opinion.

SOXSINCE'70
01-03-2002, 09:54 PM
I don't know why we should even bother to show up.The
Yank-Mes will be in the Series again.Wouldn't it be great if,just once,a team from the SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO made a victorious appearance??
Naaaaaahhhhhh.Never happen with Reinsdork at the helm.He'll let Lenny Billiams develop and groom young talent,but when the time comes to add veteran pieces to complete the puzzle,he'll balk like he always does. :angry: :angry:

CerberusWG
01-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Dear Booby Valentine,

After seeing your rotation I'd like to apply for a job in your starting rotation. Judging by your staff other than Leiter, it seems the qualifications are that you can thorw a ball 60 ft 6 inches. I am sixteen years old, and have years ahead of me throwing gopher balls, and the like. Hope to be in the rotation soon!

Sincerely,
Mike Doyle

czalgosz
01-03-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
I don't know why we should even bother to show up.The
Yank-Mes will be in the Series again.Wouldn't it be great if,just once,a team from the SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO made a victorious appearance??
Naaaaaahhhhhh.Never happen with Reinsdork at the helm.He'll let Lenny Billiams develop and groom young talent,but when the time comes to add veteran pieces to complete the puzzle,he'll balk like he always does. :angry: :angry:

Well, if Clemens starts showing his age next season, the Yankees could suddenly be in a whole lot of trouble. I know, that's a big if, but looking at their rotation, if Clemens starts perfoming poorly, and David Wells doesn't have anything in the tank, they could be trying to get through the season with Mussina and Pettitte as their only decent starters.

Of course, I'm just thinking wishfully, of course Clemens will win Cy Young again and Wells will be Comeback Player, knowing the Yankees' luck...

longshot7
01-04-2002, 02:08 AM

4.Rusch-see #3

And 4 of the 5 are left-handed. That can't be good.

RedPinStripes
01-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I guess the Mets are desperate to draw attention to themselves by any means necessary. It must be tough competing with Steinbrenner for headlines.

Do you think Gonzalez will make the transition smoothly to the National League? He has a reputation for pouting. I'm guessing he would much prefer staying in the A.L.

It might be different if Shea Stadium had short power alleys. JuanGon likes pretty offensive stats. He pouted in Texas when The Ballpark opened, and he pouted again in Detroit at Comerica Park.

"My numbers aren't inflated. I've spent my entire career at Comiskey. I've never complained, either."

Very true. I never thought of that as I was posting about wanting him on the Sox so bad. Eventhough Comiskey is much smaller then other parks now, he's still a pouter. Why would you want that on your team. One thing he don't like and he's an average player. Kind of funny that he sucked in detriot and was a king in Clevland.

RedPinStripes
01-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Hey. Where's the teal? :smile:

CubKilla
01-05-2002, 05:04 PM
The Mets will have an impressive lineup even if they don't sign Juan Gonzalez but their pitching will be their Achilles heel. While in the Bronx, the Yanks have an impressive offense AND pitching to boot. On paper, it looks to me like possibly another NY/NY Subway series with the Yankees, AGAIN, reclaiming the title "World Champion" in 2002. But for the Mets to get to the series, they are gonna have to out slug the opposition. Any lineup card with Vaughn, Alomar, Piazza, and possibly Juan Gonzalez may be able to do just that. But, and I'm preaching to the choir, good pitching beats good hitting anyday in my book.