PDA

View Full Version : Marlins to Charlotte Proposed

PaulDrake
01-20-2006, 01:47 PM
They call it a long shot, but I think it's an even longer shot that the Marlins remain in Florida which has turned into a MLB wasteland.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/breaking_news/13664558.htm

soxfanatlanta
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
...but the head of the Charlotte Regional Sports Commission, Jeff Beaver, said big-league ball is not a priority. "My view hasn't changed," Beaver said. "We're just not ready for Major League Baseball."
Longshot indeed. I just cannot see it happening. Onward to Portland!

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I wish it happened, but I just don't see it as a real possibility. At least not in downtown Charlotte.

lostletters
01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Baseball teams in Florida has been a failed experiment. I say move the Marlins to Portland, Oregon and put them in the AL West.

IUPeterman
01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Longshot indeed. I just cannot see it happening. Onward to Portland!

Portland legislature has recently voted no on public financing for a stadium. It's becoming more and more obvious (as if it wasn't in the 1st place) that the fish will jump at the first city to ok public financing.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Portland legislature has recently voted no on public financing for a stadium. It's becoming more and more obvious (as if it wasn't in the 1st place) that the fish will jump at the first city to ok public financing.Might be a long wait. They've pretty much exhausted the cities that can afford to put up $600M.

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Baseball teams in Florida has been a failed experiment. I say move the Marlins to Portland, Oregon and put them in the AL West.

Having two fifteen team league would neccesitate one of two options,

a) perpetually unbalanced scheduling like the International League does

b) perpetual interleague play, which I'd really like to see

chaotic8512
01-20-2006, 03:53 PM
In regards to baseball in FL being a failed experiment, I can't disagree with the Marlins just because the team hasn't been able to retain an identity after at least two huge firesales.

But give the D-Rays some time. I think now that Naimoli is out of the administration, the franchise will be directed in a better direction. Tampa's a pretty strong sports town with two very successful franchises as it is (Lightning, Bucs), and I seriously hope people don't give up on the D-Rays. I mean come on, how else will I be able to catch a 3-game Sox series so easily?? :D:

russ99
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Having two fifteen team league would neccesitate one of two options,

a) perpetually unbalanced scheduling like the International League does

b) perpetual interleague play, which I'd really like to see

Not if you contract two teams (as is being whispered about in the next labor deal) Those two teams are looking like the Twins and the D-Rays, with the Marlins, Nationals (if no owner can be found) and A's as possibilities.

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Not if you contract two teams (as is being whispered about in the next labor deal) Those two teams are looking like the Twins and the D-Rays, with the Marlins, Nationals (if no owner can be found) and A's as possibilities.

I don't see contraction as very likely. Having 30 teams covers most of the major markets and keeps baseball in a national focus throughout the summer. Start removing teams and you start weakening your television appeal and baseball doesn't want to do that.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Not if you contract two teams (as is being whispered about in the next labor deal) Those two teams are looking like the Twins and the D-Rays, with the Marlins, Nationals (if no owner can be found) and A's as possibilities.Never going to happen. Remember, you don't just wave a wand and make those two teams go away. MLB has to buy them out, at a probable cost of $500M or more. So the owners of each of the remaining 28 teams would have to shell out $18M each. What do they get back for their $18M? Nada. It's nothing more than saber-rattling to pressure cities to pony up the dough for new stadia.

IUPeterman
01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but the idea of a buyout made me remember about the story about the old ABA's Spirits of St. Louis? For those of you that have never heard of this deal, it has to be one of the most lucrative contracts ever signed. The general idea of it was that since the NBA didn't take the Spirits in with other ABA teams, the owners, the Silva Bros. got the NBA to agree to give them 1 team's share of the annual NBA TV deal. As far as I know, this deal cannot be broken. Pretty fascinating story.

http://www.freeenterpriseland.com/BOOK/DEAL.html

Malgar 12
01-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't see contraction as very likely. Having 30 teams covers most of the major markets and keeps baseball in a national focus throughout the summer. Start removing teams and you start weakening your television appeal and baseball doesn't want to do that.

Correct. Contraction was merely a bargaining chip.

Malgar 12
01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Portland legislature has recently voted no on public financing for a stadium. It's becoming more and more obvious (as if it wasn't in the 1st place) that the fish will jump at the first city to ok public financing.

That would be mistake. They should move to Jersey. After all public financing built Tropicana Field, which almost pulled the Sox out of Chicago, and the Giants out of San Francisco.

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Never going to happen. Remember, you don't just wave a wand and make those two teams go away. MLB has to buy them out, at a probable cost of $500M or more. So the owners of each of the remaining 28 teams would have to shell out $18M each. What do they get back for their $18M? Nada. It's nothing more than saber-rattling to pressure cities to pony up the dough for new stadia.

Thank you for the correct pluralization of stadium.

WSox597
01-20-2006, 06:35 PM
I hope contaction is only a ploy, although some of those ill-considered expansion teams wouldn't be missed by most.

All kidding aside, I would hate to see one of the old franchises such as the Athletics fold. Most of us hate them for beating the Sox, but they are a storied franchise.

Who would really miss the Expos / Nationals, Marlins, and Drays?

Minnesota is the original Washington Senators, so maybe a better owner could be found for them.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Thank you for the correct pluralization of stadium.I read the memorandums.:redneck

DSpivack
01-20-2006, 09:52 PM
I hope contaction is only a ploy, although some of those ill-considered expansion teams wouldn't be missed by most.

All kidding aside, I would hate to see one of the old franchises such as the Athletics fold. Most of us hate them for beating the Sox, but they are a storied franchise.

Who would really miss the Expos / Nationals, Marlins, and Drays?

Minnesota is the original Washington Senators, so maybe a better owner could be found for them.

The DRays and Le Spos are one thing, but how do you a contract a team that has won 2 World Series?

That said, contraction will never happen--agree fully with those saying it's a bargaining chip and a ploy.

Grobber33
01-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Baseball teams in Florida has been a failed experiment. I say move the Marlins to Portland, Oregon.

Agreed,and move the Devil Rays to Portland, Me
Afterall,the average age of the Fans in St.Pete is...deceased!!

Stroker Ace
01-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I would like the Marlins to go to Las Vegas. The only professional sport they have there is when the NEXTEL Cup Series comes around in March. I don't think the gambling issue is nothing. If they are worried about players going to sports books, then they should realize that they can easily place bets on their personal computer.

MiamiSpartan
01-21-2006, 06:37 AM
I think it'll be Portland or Vegas. IMO, Charlotte is at least 10 years away from getting an MLB team.
Also, the Miami suburb of Hialeah is looking into the possibility of getting something done for the Marlins. This is a very latin city of around 200,000 in a large industrial area. They have a couple of sites in mind. Long shot, but this city is always trying to do things to upgrade their image (which ain't all the great), so this could be their way to do it.