PDA

View Full Version : The Score dumps Piersall

Uncle_Patrick
01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060119sherman,1,7021833.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Per the Tribune. Is there a Sox connection? The Trib speculates (shocking) but the Score denies it.

tebman
01-20-2006, 11:49 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060119sherman,1,7021833.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Per the Tribune. Is there a Sox connection? The Trib speculates (shocking) but the Score denies it.
Of course there is (I'm shocked, shocked, as well), but nobody's going to say that. I doubt that JR actually told the station to fire Piersall, but the station bosses didn't want to do anything to upset their best new product.

Jimmy's an acquired taste anyway. His best were his years with Harry Caray in the late 70s. I never really thought his baseball expert opinions were that insightful when he was on WSCR, though given the station's history, it's a cinch they're not going to pay real money to a talented analyst to take Piersall's place. That's why they've got Mike North, right?

Lip Man 1
01-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Jimmy was not an announcer and didn't have a great voice, but he knew the game and knew the small things in a game that often determine who wins or loses.

He treated me very well when I interviewd him for the web site and I wish him nothing but the best and great thanks for his days with Harry.

Lip

MUsoxfan
01-20-2006, 12:02 PM
No more Cubby banter between Murph and Piersall? Say it ain't so!

Tekijawa
01-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I like Piersall because he was easy to get a rise out of him and he really didn't hold back.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Jimmy was not an announcer and didn't have a great voice, but he knew the game and knew the small things in a game that often determine who wins or loses.

He treated me very well when I interviewd him for the web site and I wish him nothing but the best and great thanks for his days with Harry.

LipHe may have known a lot, but he generally wasn't very good at conveying it on the air. Mostly he just ranted. I won't miss him.

PatK
01-20-2006, 01:34 PM
He may have known a lot, but he generally wasn't very good at conveying it on the air. Mostly he just ranted. I won't miss him.

I won't miss him either. He seemed too much like a bitter old player. Nothing like seeing him call players out for their mental makeup.

The only thing I liked about him was sometimes it sounded like he was coming close to having another breakdown.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Is Mike Murphy next?

PatK
01-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Is Mike Murphy next?

If there is a God.

WSox8404
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
If there is a God.

Ha. Murph does have to go. I wonder if once the Sox broadcasts start if he will actually talk a little more about the Sox. I doubt it. Or will he do any remotes at Sox type places? I doubt that too. Either way he is a loser.

santo=dorf
01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
:reinsy
"You still want to meet me in that alley Jimmy? Good luck finding a new job."

Seriously though, I'm not going to miss Jimmy making excuses for Corey Patterson. I'm glad to see both of them out of town. :D:

SOXPHILE
01-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree, he was pretty brutal, and came across as the bitter old ex-player. However, it was funny listening to him every so often rip on Murph, and imply he didn't know what he was talking about.

veeter
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I'll miss Jimmy. But I think I'll get over it quickly.

Uncle_Patrick
01-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Ha. Murph does have to go. I wonder if once the Sox broadcasts start if he will actually talk a little more about the Sox. I doubt it. Or will he do any remotes at Sox type places? I doubt that too. Either way he is a loser.

Of course Murph will talk about the Sox. It'll just always be in reference to the Cubs. With Murph, everything comes back to the Cubs.

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Is Mike Murphy next?

Could someone tell me why this drillrod still has a job??
Thank God I have a job where I CAN'T listen to his drivel!:angry:

DickAllen72
01-20-2006, 04:33 PM
But the highest high, his partnership with Harry Caray, proved to be legendary. Quite simply, they were the best TV duo ever in this town, or any town.

Hired by Bill Veeck at the end of 1976, Piersall was the perfect match for Caray. Both men were irreverent, brutally honest and had tremendous passion for the game. The end result was a wildly entertaining broadcast, complete with cheers and barbs for the Sox.

Jimmy was a great color man on the Sox telecasts and forgot more about baseball than most people know.

He was a good analyst on the SCORE and I always enjoyed listening to him whether he was talking about the Sox or the Cubs. As was noted, he is brutally honest.

It's a shame some people hold petty grudges. Oh well, Jimmy had a great career as a player, as a broadcaster, as a coach and as an analyst. Hopefully WMVP will pick him up.

No matter what the future holds for Jimmy, I wish him nothing but the best!

soxwon
01-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Does anyone still have their'

"Piersall says- Baseball wives are horny tshirt"

Wimpy
01-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I loved when Piersall was on the Score. I thought he was hilarious and held nothing back. As cruel as it may be, it is also hilarious on one of the Boers and Bernstein openers when they play soundbites of Piersall mispronouncing different players' names.

duke of dorwood
01-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I really hated missing Jimmy's baseball comments since I stopped listening to 670. I too hope WMVP picks him up.

Sox-on-TV44
01-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Does anyone still have their'

"Piersall says- Baseball wives are horny tshirt"
He's right about that.Look at Anna Benson!!!!:D:

I loved him and Harry Caray on the Sox games.Pure gold!

Dan H
01-21-2006, 12:09 PM
There is no doubt the Score fired Piersall because the station's new White Sox connection. That relationship wasn't going to last.

I won't miss him. He was overrated to me. I was tired of him telling fans that they know nothing about baseball because they didn't play major league baseball. He mistreated everyone who disagreed with him. I won't mourn the loss if you can call it that.

34 Inch Stick
01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
If this was purely about the content of his analysis I have no problem with it.

If this was a result of a suggestion from the Sox we should all be troubled by it.

soxinem1
01-21-2006, 12:49 PM
There is no doubt the Score fired Piersall because the station's new White Sox connection. That relationship wasn't going to last.

I won't miss him. He was overrated to me. I was tired of him telling fans that they know nothing about baseball because they didn't play major league baseball. He mistreated everyone who disagreed with him. I won't mourn the loss if you can call it that.

I agree. When he was with Harry, and later on his WMAQ show he would just belittle anyone who disagreed with him. A lively, non-corporate announcer is okay, but he went over the line way too often. I think he's senile and trashy.

But the thing that sticks out the most is that embarrasing incident in the early 80's when he started directing his sarcasms towards players wives by calling them 'horny broads' and nearly got ripped apart by LaRussa, Leyland, and the rest of his coaching staff in a hotel lobby.

Foulke You
01-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Of course Murph will talk about the Sox. It'll just always be in reference to the Cubs. With Murph, everything comes back to the Cubs.
Yep. Whenever he mentions the Sox championship, it will be followed by a comment like "I hope that will carry over to the North Side next year" or if he is talking about Ozzie's good managing ability, he'll start ranting about Dusty. Sadly, Murph is probably not going anywhere. He has been with the Score since they started the station and I think sentimentality amongst Score management is the only reason he still has a job.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Soxinem1:

I think you are confusing some things. From the Jimmy Piersall interview at WSI:

ML: The Mike Royko show saw you and Harry appear as guests on September 6, 1981. During the show you made your comments about player’s wives and got suspended for a time. Now I think I understood what you were trying to say, it just came out ‘politically incorrect,’ but what amazed me was when you told me that despite all the disagreements, you actually got along very well with Eddie Einhorn and that he complimented you on having a good season in the booth. True? (Author’s Note: Royko asked both Caray and Piersall how they handled the reaction from player’s wives when they criticized their husbands. Caray said “You know Mike I would love to call all the wives together someday and tell them what their husbands say about them across the ballfield.” Piersall said, “First of all they were horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security and a big strong ballplayer. I traveled, I played the game. I got a load of those broads too.”)

JP: “This all started when a group of the player’s wives, led by Tony LaRussa’s wife, tried to get me fired. As soon as I said it I thought to myself this could be a problem, but I was pissed off about them. The funny thing was Jerry Reinsdorf told me himself that both he and his wife saw the show that night and that he ‘enjoyed it.’ Then Tony LaRussa went nuts over it and I was suspended.”

“The way I was suspended was kind of funny. Eddie Einhorn said he needed to see me. So I went to his office and he’s standing behind his chair, like he was afraid I was going to do something. He told me that I was suspended because the Sox players threatened not to play unless something was done. Yea I did like Eddie and he and I got along well.”

ML: Sox ownership decided to go with the SportsVision experiment in 1982 and you were removed from the play by play booth while Harry left to go to the Cubs. You wound up doing the pre and post game shows. The Sox started out like gang-busters but by July were a .500 club, then one nightTony LaRussa apparently had it with some of your comments and drove down to the studios after a game and confronted you. I have never heard of such a thing happening before or since at least until the Steve Stone / Cubs controversy. What happened that night?

JP: “I had said during a show that whoever was coaching the outfielders wasn’t doing a very good job. They were out of position, they were throwing to the wrong base. It was a bad situation. So one night about eleven or 11:30 at night, LaRussa, Charlie Lau and Jimmy Leyland drove down to the studios. They told the guard they had an appointment to see me and he let them in. I’m in the studio and they march in. LaRussa’s yells, ‘are you trying to get Leyland fired?’ I didn’t know who was coaching the outfielders so I said ‘no, but whoever he is he’s doing a lousy job.’ They started to act tough when one of our producers walked in, he was a real big guy, about 6-4 and when they saw him they left. I tore Tony’s ass from then on. LaRussa acts real tough but he isn’t and Leyland is nothing but a little phony.”

“All I can say is that Tony’s real lucky he’s had great players in Oakland and in St. Louis because he is a terrible manager.”

Lip

TomBradley72
01-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Steve Dahl should pick up Jimmy on his show...he's a hige WSox fan and his show would be a good forum for Jimmy. He can go a little too far sometimes...but Jimmy knows baseball and he's tells it as he sees it.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
“All I can say is that Tony’s real lucky he’s had great players in Oakland and in St. Louis because he is a terrible manager.”

Lip

Amen - I've never liked LaRussa and think he was overrated. Steroids gave him his only title.

1983 - White Sox were slight favorites - LaRussa's team lost
1988 - Oakland was a HUGE favorite - LaRussa's team lost
1989 - Oakland was a huge favorite - Even the losers get lucky sometime
1990 - Oakland was a HUGE favorite - LaRussa's team lost
2004 - St. Louis was a underdog - LaRussa's team swept.

Tony LaRussa - 5-9 in League Championship / World Series series.

DickAllen72
01-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Soxinem1:

I think you are confusing some things. From the Jimmy Piersall interview at WSI:

ML: The Mike Royko show saw you and Harry appear as guests on September 6, 1981. During the show you made your comments about player’s wives and got suspended for a time. Now I think I understood what you were trying to say, it just came out ‘politically incorrect,’ but what amazed me was when you told me that despite all the disagreements, you actually got along very well with Eddie Einhorn and that he complimented you on having a good season in the booth. True? (Author’s Note: Royko asked both Caray and Piersall how they handled the reaction from player’s wives when they criticized their husbands. Caray said “You know Mike I would love to call all the wives together someday and tell them what their husbands say about them across the ballfield.” Piersall said, “First of all they were horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security and a big strong ballplayer. I traveled, I played the game. I got a load of those broads too.”)

JP: “This all started when a group of the player’s wives, led by Tony LaRussa’s wife, tried to get me fired. As soon as I said it I thought to myself this could be a problem, but I was pissed off about them. The funny thing was Jerry Reinsdorf told me himself that both he and his wife saw the show that night and that he ‘enjoyed it.’ Then Tony LaRussa went nuts over it and I was suspended.”

“The way I was suspended was kind of funny. Eddie Einhorn said he needed to see me. So I went to his office and he’s standing behind his chair, like he was afraid I was going to do something. He told me that I was suspended because the Sox players threatened not to play unless something was done. Yea I did like Eddie and he and I got along well.”

ML: Sox ownership decided to go with the SportsVision experiment in 1982 and you were removed from the play by play booth while Harry left to go to the Cubs. You wound up doing the pre and post game shows. The Sox started out like gang-busters but by July were a .500 club, then one nightTony LaRussa apparently had it with some of your comments and drove down to the studios after a game and confronted you. I have never heard of such a thing happening before or since at least until the Steve Stone / Cubs controversy. What happened that night?

JP: “I had said during a show that whoever was coaching the outfielders wasn’t doing a very good job. They were out of position, they were throwing to the wrong base. It was a bad situation. So one night about eleven or 11:30 at night, LaRussa, Charlie Lau and Jimmy Leyland drove down to the studios. They told the guard they had an appointment to see me and he let them in. I’m in the studio and they march in. LaRussa’s yells, ‘are you trying to get Leyland fired?’ I didn’t know who was coaching the outfielders so I said ‘no, but whoever he is he’s doing a lousy job.’ They started to act tough when one of our producers walked in, he was a real big guy, about 6-4 and when they saw him they left. I tore Tony’s ass from then on. LaRussa acts real tough but he isn’t and Leyland is nothing but a little phony.”

Lip

Great post, Lip. Thanks.

Brian26
01-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Amen - I've never liked LaRussa and think he was overrated. Steroids gave him his only title.

I think that A's team in '89 was loaded from top to bottom both on pitching and offense, and when you've got Eckersely closing the door in his prime...that was a great, great team. You've got to give credit to LaRussa more credit than that.

TomBradley72
01-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Any manager that gets to the post season five times with three different teams...including three consecutive World Series is a pretty good manager. As far as '83....any manager that can get within 1.5 games of the World Series with Jerry Dybzinski as the starting SS is a pretty good manager.

Fenway
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Piersall lands at ESPN 1000

*Jimmy Piersall, who was cut after 14 years as baseball analyst at CBS Radio's WSCR-AM (670), has landed at ABC-owned ESPN Radio WMVP-AM (1000). He'll be a baseball contributor and a regular on Bruce Levine's weekend show.

http://suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder09.html

The Critic
02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Ugh.
Levine + Piersall????
(Insert over-used puking fella.)

TomBradley72
02-11-2006, 10:32 AM
He's on right now...Levine referred to Piersall as the "best white CF he ever saw play".

The Wimperoo
02-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Piersall is brutal. He can't even speak. I was just listening and had to turn away after about 2 minutes because it was so bad.

Johnny Mostil
02-11-2006, 10:54 AM
He's on right now...Levine referred to Piersall as the "best white CF he ever saw play".

What year was this? Was he obviously joking? How old is Levine? How much baseball did he see growing up?

That's a bizarre statement for somebody who was a contemporary of Mickey Mantle and Duke Snider . . .

TomBradley72
02-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Piersall is brutal. He can't even speak. I was just listening and had to turn away after about 2 minutes because it was so bad.

Yeah...combined with Mike North polluting White Sox Weekly on the Score this morning...now 22 minutes (and counting) on the White House visit "controversy" with North's idiotic take on things....ugh.

havelj
02-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Jimmy is considered one of the best outfielders in Major League Baseball history with a .980 fielding percentage.

TornLabrum
02-11-2006, 01:16 PM
What year was this? Was he obviously joking? How old is Levine? How much baseball did he see growing up?

That's a bizarre statement for somebody who was a contemporary of Mickey Mantle and Duke Snider . . .

Or Jim Landis...or Ken Berry...

tick53
02-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Jimmy and Harry were classics. Even when the Sox were getting their butts
kicked, they always found a way to entertain the listeners.

Best to Jimmie, I am glad you spent time with us!:harry&jimmy

Johnny Mostil
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Or Jim Landis...or Ken Berry...

Yeah, Chicago examples are even better for questioning just how much Levine got out as a young'un . . .

PaulDrake
02-12-2006, 03:59 PM
It may not be popular but Piersall was absolutely one of the best defensive outfielders of my youth. He was one of the first non White Sox players I looked forward to seeing play as a kid. I'm not going to slight Jim Landis here. In my lifetime the Sox have usually had strong defense in centerfield and Landis was certainly the best of the bunch. Unless it was a screamer in the gap or a home run, you always felt we at least had a chance when the ball was towards Jim Landis.

Hangar18
02-14-2006, 08:42 AM

Lip

Jimmy Piersall is a diamond in the rough, and only certain people are able to "get it" with him. I dont think theres a "real" story, other than the only reason hes on is because Murphy has him on his show almost daily, and the Score wants to save money. Why pay a guy to be on a show thats only on a couple hours a day? This is more a Slap-in-the-face to Murph than anything. GOOD!

Hangar18
02-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Piersall lands at ESPN 1000

http://suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder09.html

As long as Bruce doesnt pander to the audience, this should be very entertaining

Chip Z'nuff
02-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Steve Dahl should pick up Jimmy on his show...he's a hige WSox fan and his show would be a good forum for Jimmy. He can go a little too far sometimes...but Jimmy knows baseball and he's tells it as he sees it.

Jimmy is the type to hold 100 year grudges. He is still pissed about Disco Demolition. Besides, do you really think Dahl would want someone on his show that actually has a personality?

miker
02-14-2006, 12:45 PM
As long as Bruce doesnt pander to the audience, this should be very entertaining
Like when the "objective" Bruce Levine perks up when talking anything "Cub" and then slips back into depressing monotone when forced to talk about the other ball club in town?

Oh yeah, he's about as entertaining as he is objective.

kevin57
02-14-2006, 02:52 PM
At the end of North's show today, he said that some WSCR online poll was showing that 80% of respondants want Piersall to stay. Ugh!