PDA

View Full Version : Tribune again goes out of way to mention Cubs

PatK
01-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Did anyone see the article in today's Tribune titled "Son of Ex-Cub aims high in Soccer Draft"?

Talk about going out of your way to try to put the Cubs name in the news. This is the son of Marvell Wynne, who played 20 games for the Cubs in 1989 and 102 and 92 in 1990. He hit a whopping 23 RBIs with the Cubs and 5 home runs.

It's not like he was even a household name, or somebody that a majority of Cubs fans would even remember.

Even funnier is that the kid isn't playing baseball, but soccer, so it's not like he's following in his father's shoes.

Is the Tribune company that desperate to get the Cubs name out there?

tebman
01-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Teal? No teal? Another question best left to the philosophers.

PatK
01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Teal? No teal? Another question best left to the philosophers.
[/left]

I know, I wasn't sure to use teal myself.

tebman
01-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I know, I wasn't sure to use teal myself.
The Tribune is so reflexive when it comes to tying the Cubs into so many things that it probably goes beyond teal. Maybe we should have a Deep Teal category reserved for those statements that are sarcastic yet sadly and obviously true.

Example:

[Deep Teal]The Tribune will have nothing to say about the Cubs' ticket-scalping operation[/Deep Teal]

Chicken Dinner
01-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Did anyone see the article in today's Tribune titled "Son of Ex-Cub aims high in Soccer Draft"?

Talk about going out of your way to try to put the Cubs name in the news. This is the son of Marvell Wynne, who played 20 games for the Cubs in 1989 and 102 and 92 in 1990. He hit a whopping 23 RBIs with the Cubs and 5 home runs.

It's not like he was even a household name, or somebody that a majority of Cubs fans would even remember.

Even funnier is that the kid isn't playing baseball, but soccer, so it's not like he's following in his father's shoes.

I've seen the Cubs boot a few grounders.

SOXPHILE
01-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Ha ha ha ! I was thinking the same thing when I saw this. Wow ! THE son of the one and only Marvell Wynn ? So, I guess next week we can expect a little story about former Cub great Barry Foot's daughter, who was just named assistant manager of a shoe store in Portland Oregon. Thank you for all this important information you give us, Chicago Tribune.

Kuzman
01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
It's obviously alot more then the Cubune. Even MLB.com has an article on this.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20060119&content_id=50644&vkey=draft2006&fext=.jsp

If you go to the main page its the 5th tab, at the moment. It then links you to that site.

Iwritecode
01-20-2006, 01:23 PM
It's obviously alot more then the Cubune. Even MLB.com has an article on this.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20060119&content_id=50644&vkey=draft2006&fext=.jsp

If you go to the main page its the 5th tab, at the moment. It then links you to that site.

They just saw it in the Cubune and followed suit...

Tekijawa
01-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Jeez people! I think an article with the title "Son of Ex-Cub aims high in Soccer Draft" would rank right up there with "DO IT YOURSELF: Home Castration explained" as articles I will never read... Soccer and Cubs Baseball... Who Cares?!?!!?

If you look for it you will find it! If you don't want to hear about the Cubs, don't read the ******* Articles!

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
They just saw it in the Cubune and followed suit...

It was actually on MLB.com first.

Slow news week?

Hangar18
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM

YES. This is what the Tribune and other Chicago Media have been doing for the last 25 years or so ............. Probably explains why they are "household" names to begin with.

Tragg
01-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Marvell Wynne? That is really ludicrous. Maybe they'll have an article on Calvin Schiraldi's nephew next week.

CHISOXFAN13
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
That is really ludicrous. Wynne didn't play for the Cubs much at all.

Almost as ludicrous as 11 replies to the thread.

chaotic8512
01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
While it's being discussed, I'm just curious... how did the whole teal/deep pink thing come about? It's very creative... I remember when I first came to this site, I was so confused... then I just said to myself, :gulp: and it will all be better.

Hitmen77
01-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm not bothered by this article. The Sox are the talk of the town and the toast of the town right now.

The best the Cubs can do are articles like this or the one with Murton riding a mechanical bull. :rolleyes: