PDA

View Full Version : Cuba to play in WBC

patbooyah
01-20-2006, 11:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2299485

also - if this whole USA/Cuba good timey thing continues...

what if our AAA charlotte team (which i guess is having stadium/location issues) decides to move to Cuba.

THE HAVANA KNIGHTS!!!!

GET IT!?!?!?!

mccoydp
01-20-2006, 11:21 AM

what if our AAA charlotte team (which i guess is having stadium/location issues) decides to move to Cuba.

THE HAVANA KNIGHTS!!!!

GET IT!?!?!?!
Very clever, indeed... :thumbsup:

Baby Fisk
01-20-2006, 11:22 AM

THE HAVANA KNIGHTS!!!!

GET IT!?!?!?!
Groannnn! :cool:

chisoxmike
01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Damn, now this thing will be played.

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Good. Even though some may see this as a farce, it is big news in a number of the other countries in the world. Peurto Rico, DR, Venezuela and Japan are all really excited about this.

patbooyah
01-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Groannnn! :cool:

how dare you try to ruin my joke parade!! :cool:

patbooyah
01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Good. Even though some may see this as a farce, it is big news in a number of the other countries in the world. Peurto Rico, DR, Venezuela and Japan are all really excited about this.

i'm actually somewhat excited.

i have tickets to the championship and look at it as a sort of all-star game.

Fenway
01-20-2006, 11:38 AM

I have to admit I really want to see the DR play the US ( of course the DR has to get by Cuba first )

chaerulez
01-20-2006, 11:49 AM
This whole Cuba thing seems like it was all cooked up to generate news. I mean is anyone seriously surprised they are allowed to play now? Billion dollar MLB asks for something, they are probably going to get it...

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 12:19 PM
The whole play in March issue is problematic for me. I understand it is required. The Southern Hemisphere/Caribbean plays Nov-March and spring training is the only time that is really available for both north and south. It does put a real limitation on the pitchers and their pitch counts. If they really wanted to do this right I suggest one of two options:

a) shut down pro ball for two and a half weeks in July have All-Star teams from each country come and play a round robin tournament for two weeks (as in play each day) and then play a championship for three days (#1 overall vs #2 overall).

b) each MLB team is required to furnish two high minors players for an entire season to the national teams and the national teams play an entire season with a pennant chase and a playoff at the end. Games between National teams could take place at Major League Stadiums all over the country and actually all over the world (everybody would make a one month road trip thru east asia.) I think this would be exciting and the cost to MLB would be minimal (losing one star AAA player for the entire season.)

soxfanatlanta
01-20-2006, 12:53 PM
This whole Cuba thing seems like it was all cooked up to generate news. I mean is anyone seriously surprised they are allowed to play now? Billion dollar MLB asks for something, they are probably going to get it...

I wish that were the case, but politics probably played a role in this. Not a big one, but somebody thought very hard about whether to let Cuba play. That's all I'ma gonna say about that.

I'm glad they got in, they deserve to be there, IMO.

Lip Man 1
01-20-2006, 12:57 PM
To bad. Oh well.

Lip

MasQbellesa
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
:bandance:

longshot7
01-20-2006, 02:10 PM

THE HAVANA KNIGHTS!!!!

GET IT!?!?!?!

Mmmm..... dirty dancing.

TheDarkGundam
01-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Damn, now this thing will be played.
That is EXACTLY what I thought.

IlliniSox4Life
01-20-2006, 06:27 PM
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the whole "will the US let them play or not?" was a stunt used to generate free publicity and put some sort of story into the games.

SoxEd
01-20-2006, 09:40 PM
THE HAVANA KNIGHTS!!!!

GET IT!?!?!?!

Couldn't you keep the Knights in the US, move 'em to Missouri, and call 'em the Winona Riders?

Or even the Winona (Knight) Riders..?
(ba dum dum tish!)
:duck:

Actually, no, it's actually MY fault ...

I emailed the White House to complain about it on or around the 19th December.

I guess the Executive Branch of USG thought I was talking sense, and got the Treasury to rescind their banning order.

:duck::duck:

Of course, if any Sox players get injured in the WBC, then I reserve the right to disavow all knowledge of any such email.

:duck::duck::duck:

I'll get me coat...

MRKARNO
01-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Well this is a bad day for those who are against both the WBC and the Olympics being in Chicago, because the US will have lost the ability to host Olympics for a long time if they did not allow Cuba into the WBC and the WBC will go on.

I am very glad that they came to this decision because it is the right decision. You always allow sports teams to play in international competitions, even if you disagree with their politics. Besides, the WBC is going to be very exciting and it would have been pretty bad if it were canceled.

Stroker Ace
01-21-2006, 12:03 AM
This doesn't surprise me at all. After there was a sudden insurgence of media coverage, it was only a short matter of time.

HotelWhiteSox
01-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Supposedly the reason they are allowed to play is because Cuba will donate to Hurricane Katrina

I wonder if the players will defect if they reach the round on US soil?

bigfoot
01-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Supposedly the reason they are allowed to play is because Cuba will donate to Hurricane Katrina

I wonder if the players will defect if they reach the round on US soil?

The first round Cuba plays will be in San Juan, Puerto Rico. US territorial soil.

Political coverage having been given to Miami ExPats and their, in the pocket, congressman.

Advertising boost given the latest of Bud's Marketing Duds.

Political cover given to the adminstration for foolish initial stance on the subject. Would Bud have known, or at least asked, about any legal ramifications before concocting this series?

MiamiSpartan
01-21-2006, 07:35 AM
OOOH, the Cuban Mafia in Miami is going crazy this morning....their demi-god Bush has let them down!:D: