PDA

View Full Version : White Sox & Green Shirts/Hats. We were 1st.

Hangar18
01-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Wanted to clear this up, as I had a Stupid Cub Fan Moment last nite.
A group of Sheep last nite insisted that the CUBS were the ones that started the wearing of Green Jerseys/Hats. I told them they were way off.
We were the first team to wear Green stuff werent we? was it in 1981?

Jerko
01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Hangar is single handedly going to turn the Sox Clubhouse forum into the "Sox CUBhouse" forum.

Hangar18
01-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Anyone have a date when the SOX first wore their green jerseys? 1981 is what I think .................

Baby Fisk
01-20-2006, 10:52 AM
We were the first team to wear Green stuff werent we? was it in 1981?
Cincinnati wore green in 1978:

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB1-1331159reg.jpg

Not sure when the Sox first wore green.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Anyone have a date when the SOX first wore their green jerseys? 1981 is what I think .................Really, Henry, what difference does it make?

itsnotrequired
01-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Cincinnati wore green in 1978:

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB1-1331159reg.jpg

Not sure when the Sox first wore green.

<psychoticHangar>Who gives a damn when the REDS wore them? I measure all THINGS Sox against the Cubs!</psychoticHangar>

:wink:

Fenway
01-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Red Sox did in 1979 in Winter Haven ( game was being televised back to Boston )

Tekijawa
01-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Pretty Sure the Athletic's were the first team to have a Green Jersey/Hat... but who cares...

Kuzman
01-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Pretty Sure the Athletic's were the first team to have a Green Jersey/Hat... but who cares...

:kneeslap:

IggyD
01-20-2006, 12:06 PM
In keeping with the new color craze of the depression years, the Brooklyn Dodgers surprised everyone by changing their more-or-less traditional “Dodger Blue” trim to a striking KELLY GREEN for the 1937 season. All-green caps, stockings and undersweaters — not a trace of blue to be found. Even the normal gray color of the road uniforms was replaced by TAN. It was St. Patrick’s Day all season long at Ebbetts Field as even the ushers were outfitted in green jackets.

Sad
01-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Really, Henry, what difference does it make?

perhaps we should have a "Hobbies for Henry" thread to help alleviate Cub jealousy and subsequent hate... :tongue:

downstairs
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
In keeping with the new color craze of the depression years, the Brooklyn Dodgers surprised everyone by changing their more-or-less traditional “Dodger Blue” trim to a striking KELLY GREEN for the 1937 season. All-green caps, stockings and undersweaters — not a trace of blue to be found. Even the normal gray color of the road uniforms was replaced by TAN. It was St. Patrick’s Day all season long at Ebbetts Field as even the ushers were outfitted in green jackets.

Yep...

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1298377dt.jpg

Hangar18
01-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Good Find

Law11
01-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Werent we the 1st to do the turn back th e clock day in 1990 at the old park?

Baby Fisk
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Werent we the 1st to do the turn back th e clock day in 1990 at the old park?
Correct.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2006, 03:52 PM
perhaps we should have a "Hobbies for Henry" thread to help alleviate Cub jealousy and subsequent hate... :tongue:I keep picturing Hangar in a psychologist's office doing the word association thing:

Psychologist: dog
Hangar: Cubs
Psychologist: cat
Psychologist: grass
Psychologist: warm
Psychologist: Jupiter
Psychologist: You know, you seem to have an unusual fixation on the Cubs.
Hangar: Me?? You're the one that keeps bringing up Cub-related words.

itsnotrequired
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I keep picturing Hangar in a psychologist's office doing the word association thing:

Psychologist: dog
Psychologist: cat
Psychologist: grass
Psychologist: warm
Psychologist: Jupiter
Psychologist: You know, you seem to have an unusual fixation on the Cubs.
Hangar: Me?? You're the one that keeps bringing up Cub-related words.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

POTW!!!

GregoryEtc
01-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Little know facts...

Following their baseball careers, Cubs infielders Tinker, Evers and Chance began WWI by assasinating Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Nellie Fox discovered the cure for polio. He let his college roommate, Jonas Salk, have all the credit.

Ryne Sandberg was the lead engineer on the defective O-rings that caused the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster.

Ron Kittle created Seinfeld (but Mark Grace wrote the series finale).