PDA

View Full Version : After Reviewing Ken

cburns
01-20-2006, 01:12 AM
....this offseason, it seems the biggest move he has made is the Rowand/Thome trade....the best thing I see about this trade is the idea that every side thinks they came out on top...seriously, the majority of the Sox fans love this trade, and the majority of the Phils fans(phans) love this trade...you know thats the sign of a good GM...when both teams benefit from the trade(i.e. Milwaukee).

cburns
01-20-2006, 01:13 AM
thats more of a statement than a topic starter i guess.

IlliniSox4Life
01-20-2006, 01:24 AM
I disagree. I think the biggest move he made this off season was resigning Paul Konerko.

cburns
01-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Nah...that move builds for the future.

IlliniSox4Life
01-20-2006, 01:50 AM
How does resigning Paul Konerko build for the future and NOT have an immediate impact next year?

cburns
01-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Not that doesn't help for now and the future, I just think Kenny building some cred up w other GM's helps more.

IlliniSox4Life
01-20-2006, 02:03 AM
I think the World Series gave him all the cred he needs.

cburns
01-20-2006, 02:06 AM
yeah thats true.

IlliniSox4Life
01-20-2006, 02:10 AM
I mean, to be fair, I'm not saying that the effect you are talking about isn't there, I'm just saying I don't think it's the best thing about the offseason for Ken so far. I do think other GMs probably think better of him when they see that he's willing to give up guys like Carlos Lee or Aaron Rowand that could help their franchise, I just don't think it's going to necesarily improve the deals that Kenny can get. He would get them anyway.

cburns
01-20-2006, 02:21 AM
It might not improve the deals he would get it, but it would increase the number of teams willing to trade with him, allowing him to be more creative.

oeo
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
I disagree. I think the biggest move he made this off season was resigning Paul Konerko.

But signing Thome affected Konerko's decision to return. Do we know Konerko would be back again if Thome was not traded for? Well we can't say he wouldn't, but he has already said that when Kenny got Thome, it made his decision that much easier.

34 Inch Stick
01-20-2006, 09:11 AM
The Garland signing affected a lot of moves over the next several years. That is the biggest move this season.

IlliniSox4Life
01-20-2006, 09:21 AM
But signing Thome affected Konerko's decision to return. Do we know Konerko would be back again if Thome was not traded for? Well we can't say he wouldn't, but he has already said that when Kenny got Thome, it made his decision that much easier.

I don't think it had very much of an effect at all. More or less, it was just an added bonus. Paulie had it narrowed down pretty much to the Angels and the Sox, both of which were offering similar money, and everything about Paulie makes me believe that he would've signed with the Sox regardless of the acquisition of Thome. You're saying Paulie said it made the decision that much easier (I don't remember the exact quote, but it was along those lines). That implies that the decision was pretty easy to begin with.

The Garland signing affected a lot of moves over the next several years. That is the biggest move this season.
I agree that in the long run it might be a bigger move, especially considering the pitching is the heart of the team, but I was looking more on the impact on the team for next season. Since Garland was already going to be playing for us, I don't think it had as much immediate impact other than have Kenny shop Contreras instead of Garland.

gobears1987
01-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey how about we have ESPN do a mock press conference with Renolds playing the role of KW?

chisox06
01-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I think the World Series gave him all the cred he needs.

Yup. I will never doubt this man again.

santo=dorf
01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't forget both the Twins and Indians were rumored to be after Thome as well.

wdelaney72
01-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I think he's biggest move was locking up the starting pitching for not one by two more seasons.

Frank the Tank
01-20-2006, 10:25 PM

I agree 100%

BV2005
01-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I think he's biggest move was locking up the starting pitching for not one by two more seasons.

Touche', pitching wins champonships my friends.

Stroker Ace
01-20-2006, 11:06 PM
I disagree. I think the biggest move he made this off season was resigning Paul Konerko.Me too. I think the Rowand for Thome deal was one of the worst trades this off season.

Palehose13
01-20-2006, 11:08 PM
No, no no! You guys have it all wrong. Kenny's best move this off season was a round house kick!

FarWestChicago
01-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Me too. I think the Rowand for Thome deal was one of the worst trades this off season.:roflmao:

Just so you know, you can delete your own posts. :redneck