PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox sign yet another second baseman---BAFIA DON'T OPEN!!!!

santo=dorf
01-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Red Sox signed infielder-outfielder Willie Harris to a minor league contract.
He'll earn $650,000 if he makes the team and it's likely that he will. He should top the depth chart in center field right away, although the Sox won't want to enter the season with him as anything more than a backup. Limited to 150-200 at-bats in a utility role, he could be sort of useful. He's 49-for-61 in steal attempts in his career, and his OBPs of .343 and .333 the last two years aren't so terrible.
:?:

RallyBowl
01-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Man, it's gonna be sweet in the playoffs this season when a ball gets through his legs instead of Graff's.

Best quote in there- "...he could be sort of useful." I just think that is a really funny way to describe Willie.

Fenway
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
POTW on a Red Sox board

Guess the Willie Harris signing was the last straw.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3069

santo=dorf
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
After I got done laughing at the end of the first sentence, I couldn't stop laughing at the third one.

Starting center fielder for the Red Sox?

:hawk
"Are you nuts?"

:rolling:

MUsoxfan
01-19-2006, 08:06 PM
I thought he had signed with Colorado:?: I'm glad he caught on somewhere

Fenway
01-19-2006, 08:10 PM
After I got done laughing at the end of the first sentence, I couldn't stop laughing at the third one.

"Are you nuts?"

:rolling:

Now I wish Boston had gotten Corey Patterson :whiner:

it going to be a loooooooooooooooooooong summer in Boston

itsnotrequired
01-19-2006, 08:53 PM

It is starting to look that way.:tongue:

oeo
01-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I thought he signed with the Rockies? :?:

Anyway...he wanted a starting role, he wasn't getting one here, does he think he's going to have one in Boston?

soxinem1
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I think Willie will be a good fit in Beantown. As it stands, he may well be the CF!

Welcome back, Theo! I knew you were working on this one behind the scenes.

buehrle4cy05
01-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Now I wish Boston had gotten Corey Patterson :whiner:

Choosing KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKorey Patterson over Willie Harris. It must really suck up there.

SOXintheBURGH
01-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Didn't Willie sign with the Rockies not even two weeks ago? :?:

itsnotrequired
01-19-2006, 09:34 PM

Rumor talk. Nothing shows up on the Rockies website.

CLR01
01-19-2006, 09:35 PM

A Willie Harris is good enough to play for both teams.

SoxSpeed22
01-19-2006, 09:51 PM

:hawk
"Are you nuts?"

:rolling:Here's a better person to describe it...
:bundy
I liked Willie! He deserved better than this!

Unregistered
01-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Unprecedented: Harris First MLB Player to Play For 2 Teams Simultaneously
"I'm a Madman!" Shouts Defiant Harris

EDIT: Seriously though, I thought he was at very least negotiating a Major League Contract with the Rockies - I thought the only sticking point was money... why would he sign a Minor League contract with another team?

SoxFan76
01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't get it. Willie isn't THAT bad. When he started in 04 his OBP was over .340. He plays great defense and has more range than Iguchi.

Now of course he can't steal a base or put down a bunt, but he is young. He's certainly not the greatest player, but I think all the crap people give him really isn't necessary.

Red Barchetta
We all know that Willie never became the player we wanted him to, however he did have a key hit in the post season and earned a ring. Good luck in Beantown Willie!

Brewski

EDIT: Seriously though, I thought he was at very least negotiating a Major League Contract with the Rockies - I thought the only sticking point was money... why would he sign a Minor League contract with another team?

Two words:Tony Graffanino

SouthSide_HitMen
01-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't get it. Willie isn't THAT bad. When he started in 04 his OBP was over .340. He plays great defense and has more range than Iguchi.

Now of course he can't steal a base or put down a bunt, but he is young. He's certainly not the greatest player, but I think all the crap people give him really isn't necessary.

I agree. I don't think he will make it as starter, but he is a good player to fill in from the bench, can cover 2B and CF and has a very low contract. Mackowiak is obviously better (and we are paying for it) which resulted in Willie becoming expendable. There are many players worse than Willie Harris wearing a MLB uniform.

soxwon
01-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Man, it's gonna be sweet in the playoffs this season when a ball gets through his legs instead of Graff's.

Best quote in there- "...he could be sort of useful." I just think that is a really funny way to describe Willie.

i have a friend who is a red sox fan.
he says NO WAY the redsox make the playoffs
he predicts 4th place for them.
He is very down on his team this year.

1951Campbell
01-19-2006, 10:58 PM
i have a friend who is a red sox fan.
he says NO WAY the redsox make the playoffs
he predicts 4th place for them.
He is very down on his team this year.

Funny, I have a friend who's a huge Indians fan and even after last September, he's totally ambivalent about the Tribe's chances.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt, unless you're a Sox fan!

BNLSox
01-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Have we done a willie harris appreciation thread yet??

Wow that AL East sure looks tough this year.

chisoxfanatic
01-20-2006, 12:37 AM

He could always play real games for one team and simulated games for the other team, challenging Kerry Wood and Mark Prior for attendion in the Simulated Baseball League. :D:

CLR01
01-20-2006, 12:45 AM
He could always play real games for one team and simulated games for the other team, challenging Kerry Wood and Mark Prior for attendion in the Simulated Baseball League. :D:

Could you imagine the stats Wee Willie would put up in a simulated game? Can you say best ever? :o:

CLR01
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM

He was but that could have fallen thru or maybe he just decided he would rather take a chance with a team that will actually be competing for something.

soxfanatlanta
01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow that AL East sure looks tough this year.

It's been a while since that division was completely up in the air, no? You can still favor the Yanks, but man - their pitching is not so good to say the least. It will be interesting to see how the East Coast Biased media spins this years picks.

Anyhoo, I was never a Willie-basher, I hope he does well in Baw-ston, except for against us.

Iwritecode
01-20-2006, 10:37 AM
He was but that could have fallen thru or maybe he just decided he would rather take a chance with a team that will actually be competing for something.

Am I the only one that remembers seeing an official press release (like a week or so ago) that talks had broken off between Willie and the Rockies? :?:

anewman35
01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Am I the only one that remembers seeing an official press release (like a week or so ago) that talks had broken off between Willie and the Rockies? :?:

Why would anybody have issued an official press release stating that a free agent signing WASN'T happening?

Chicken Dinner
01-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Does Boston even have 2 eared batting helmets????

Fenway
01-20-2006, 12:43 PM
things heating up

"Also yesterday, there were ongoing conversations between the Sox and Indians aimed at bringing outfielder Coco Crisp to Boston. The deal, according to a major league source, probably would cost the Sox top prospect Andy Marte and probably would include multiple players changing sides." -- 1.20.06, Chris Snow, Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/20/arroyos_deal_he_loves_it_here/)

MUsoxfan
01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
things heating up

"Also yesterday, there were ongoing conversations between the Sox and Indians aimed at bringing outfielder Coco Crisp to Boston. The deal, according to a major league source, probably would cost the Sox top prospect Andy Marte and probably would include multiple players changing sides." -- 1.20.06, Chris Snow, Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/20/arroyos_deal_he_loves_it_here/)

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Crisp no longer in an Indians uniform

Baby Fisk
01-20-2006, 01:17 PM
According to theBrushback.com, the Rockies are pretty much set for next year...

http://www.thebrushback.com/gatoradeb.jpg
New Gatorade Bucket Rockiesí Biggest Offseason Acquisition

Tekijawa
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Is Willie old enough to grow facial hair?

bafiarocks03
01-20-2006, 06:22 PM
uh...yes guys..I know! I heard last night! I haven't decided if this is good or bad yet..Well we all know I'd want him here..But since that's not an option..If he's in Boston...we play them 6 times....and i can see him, and he has a good shot of making the team. So ya..and we dont' even play the Rockies, so it's better!

The Dude
01-20-2006, 06:24 PM
uh...yes guys..I know! I heard last night! I haven't decided if this is good or bad yet..Well we all know I'd want him here..But since that's not an option..If he's in Boston...we play them 6 times....and i can see him, and he has a good shot of making the team. So ya..and we dont' even play the Rockies, so it's better!

So would you root for the Red Sox to beat the White Sox if Willie makes the team???

WSox597
01-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Heard it tonight on 6:00 news. No money mentioned.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Heard it tonight on 6:00 news. No money mentioned.

No money offered. :redneck

MarySwiss
01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Crisp no longer in an Indians uniform

Second that! But I really don't understand why Willie is being dissed like this. Solid role-player.

RallyBowl
01-20-2006, 08:40 PM

Only 3 exclamation points. You must be REALLY down today:smile: .

Palehose13
01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Second that! But I really don't understand why Willie is being dissed like this. Solid role-player.

My reason is that he is a solid ******* and that is from meeting him more than once (and others have had the same experience with him), but that has been beat to death around here. :cool:

A. Cavatica
01-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, before you know it Willie will be an Assistant GM...

Fenway
01-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, before you know it Willie will be an Assistant GM...

we already have more GM's than infielders :(: :whiner:

bafiarocks03
01-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Well..ya..When the love of your life leaves your team...for a suckier one..and is going to boston..yea i'd say i'm pretty down.

Vernam
01-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Well..ya..When the love of your life leaves your team...for a suckier one..and is going to boston..yea i'd say i'm pretty down.At least he'll be visiting US Cellular more often than if he'd gone to the Rockies.

Willie will probably be comfortable in Boston, where there'll certainly be little pressure on him to bunt, hit behind runners, or do other things that Ozzie gave up on trying to get him to do.

Vernam

Ventura Fan 23
01-21-2006, 10:33 AM
I actually always liked Willie. I hope he does well in Boston, he definitely could.

Shorty1983
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Cut him a little slack.

Harris played a solid back up second base and that's all we can ask for.

He might not have been the best player off the bench but he played with heart. He also scored the winning run to win the world championship game, good luck peapod!