PDA

View Full Version : Message from Jim Thome, by email

Deuce
01-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Dear White Sox Fans,

Growing up in Illinois, it's a dream and a privilege to come back home and be a part of a great organization like the White Sox. To be a part of this now, after winning the World Series, is really an honor. To come to a team that is so close to home, and to play in front of my family and friends, is really exciting. Baseball is a great game because it brings people together, and my wife Andrea, our daughter Lila and I are really pleased to be here.

This winter has been really crazy for us. Everything seemed to go so quickly, and the holidays flew by. But we're excited about moving here, and we're hoping to be able to call Chicago our permanent home.

My offseason training has been great, though it's been a different kind of winter than I've had in the past. Because I was injured and didn't play during the second half of last year, my training has been really intense and regimented since August, as opposed to other years when I'd take a break after the season. I've worked out here at the ballpark a few times, and I've enjoyed meeting head trainer Herm Schneider and getting to know the front office a little bit. It's been a pleasure to realize that everyone is invested in making sure I'm healthy and ready to go for spring training.

For my entire career I've been asked about my favorite road city, and I've always said that players should take any chance they have to play in Chicago, even as an opponent. To have the opportunity to play here for the next three years is a dream. Chicago is a passionate, hard-core, championship-hungry city, and I imagine that now the fans are more focused than ever. You add the success of the Bears this year and it's pretty awesome to be here. I think the Bears have the right tools in place to be a great team for many years to come!

I've been blessed to have good people, starting with my wife, who help me understand what opportunities exist to be involved in the community. We signed up to be in Chicago for the long term, and we truly want to form a relationship with the people of Chicago. As an athlete and a role model, I want Chicagoans to know that we're trying to do just that - to help different causes, to make a difference at the end of the day, and above all to have fun and enjoy our time here.

I've always known that to be successful, you have to know how to be part of a team first. It's not about me, it's about we - and that's as true in life as it is in sports. I understand the impact that athletes can have on people, and I've worked very hard to make sure I leave something meaningful behind. I grew up in Peoria, so I've always been involved in the community there. I'm excited to have the chance to do the same thing here in Chicago.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing you at SoxFest, and of course to beating the Indians on Opening Day.

Jim Thome http://mlb.mlb.com/images/trans.gif

RallyBowl
01-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Here's to a healthy season, and 40/100.:cheers:

ondafarm
01-19-2006, 12:51 PM
A classy letter.

I'm surprised by his support for the Bears though. I thought that Decatur and Peoria were fairly mortal enemies.

Baby Fisk
01-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Great message. Welcome aboard, Big Jim!

As an athlete and a role model...
Good to see that he gets it. :nod:

Chisox003
01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Welcome aboard JTho!

Um.....

Here's to a big year on the Southside! :gulp:

Ward Hershberger
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM

If he gets to 40 HR's - he'll have a lot more than an even 100 RBI

Sad
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
well in any case I feel alot better about the Bears loss now after reading that Thome believes they have the right tools in place to be good for years to come...

Rocky Soprano
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM

Unless your name is Konerko, Paul. :smile:

skobabe8
01-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Welcome aboard JTho!

Um.....

Here's to a big year on the South Side! :gulp:

Sorry Chisox. I couldnt help but fix it. :D:

Awesome letter, Jim! Good luck this year!

1951Campbell
01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Welcome, Mr. Thome, and all the best to you and your family.

Chicken Dinner
01-19-2006, 01:16 PM
How long will it take before we start seeing "Thomes Homies" signs popping up?? I guess the "Aarons Amigos folks are going to have to get busy.

Randar68
01-19-2006, 01:16 PM
"JTho?"

Good lord I hope that doesn't stick... I almost lost my breakfast...

TheDarkGundam
01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing you at SoxFest, and of course to beating the Indians on Opening Day.

Jim Thome http://mlb.mlb.com/images/trans.gif

Awesome. Welcome aboard Jim!
:moonwalk:

Dan Mega
01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Great letter. I look forward to him crushing Twins and Indians' pitches out of the ballpark.

doublem23
01-19-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm surprised by his support for the Bears though. I thought that Decatur and Peoria were fairly mortal enemies.

Peoria straddles the line between supporting St. Louis and Chicago. I would venture to bet that most Peorians who grew up Cub fans (like Jim Thome) would be Bears fans, and anyone who is a Cardinal fan would root for the Rams.

buehrle4cy05
01-19-2006, 01:43 PM
If I had a big, strong kid who wanted to play baseball, I would tell him to watch Jim Thome. He's one of the best guys in baseball, from what I've seen, heard, and read.

SOXintheBURGH
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Thome's Homies welcome you, Jim.

AL pitching is going to be very, very afraid of our lineup this season. :cool:

Chisox003
01-19-2006, 01:48 PM
"JTho?"

Good lord I hope that doesn't stick... I almost lost my breakfast...
Ha ha...I know, that's why I tealed it

Definitely wasn't meant to be serious......I threw that in there because I remember a thread a few months back about doing that with names (BMac, ARod, etc..... then recently RoMac for Rob Mackowiak :o: )

To JTho! :gulp:

manders_01
01-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Peoria straddles the line between supporting St. Louis and Chicago. I would venture to bet that most Peorians who grew up Cub fans (like Jim Thome) would be Bears fans, and anyone who is a Cardinal fan would root for the Rams.

IMO Not really. Most people in Illinois, even "southern" cities like Springfield, are Bears fans. They've been around a lot longer than any NFL team in St. Louis. When the Bears played at U of I, many of the fans were downstaters. There doesn't seem to be the division like between the Cards and Cubs.

soxfanatlanta
01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Hope you have a great year Mr. Thome!!!

With arms that big, it's always safe to be formal, no? I've always liked the guy, he was a bit of a cult hero when he played AAA ball for the Knights, I'm glad his career is going well.

TheKittle
01-19-2006, 02:28 PM

Actually somebody Thome's age would either be a St. Louis FOOTBALL Cardinals fan or more than likely a Bears fan. When Thome was growing up the Bears were Super Bowl Champs and was a damn good team. The St. Louis Cardinals were terrible led by that worthless owner Bidwell.

Corlose 15
01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
.....I'm looking forward to seeing you at SoxFest, and of course to beating the Indians on Opening Day.

:thumbsup: Me too Jim, I won't be there for Soxfest but I'll be there Opening Night.:bandance:

santo=dorf
01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm going to put some money down on him leading the MLB in homers. He was originally listed at 50-1 but it has since dropped to 40-1. I really think he's going take advantage of the short fences down the left and right field lines.

ondafarm
01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
A classy letter.

Okay, I hate quoting myself but I see that my remarks have been totally missunderstood.

The Bears were founded as the Decatur Staley's. (Actually, the Cardinals started as the Chicago Cardinals and played in Comiskey Park.)

My thought was that a Peoria born and bred guy would not root for a team originally from their mortal enemy, Decatur.

Thank God he's not from Pekin, he'd be playing in the WBC for someone else.

Sox-o-matic
01-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Ha ha...I know, that's why I tealed it

Definitely wasn't meant to be serious......I threw that in there because I remember a thread a few months back about doing that with names (BMac, ARod, etc..... then recently RoMac for Rob Mackowiak :o: )

To JTho! :gulp:

It all started with ARod which made sense as an abbreviation IMO. Since there are about nine thousand Rodriguez's in MLB, ARod specifies the future HOF SS. Using this first letter(s) of the first name + first syllable of last name formula to come up with nicknames for players whose last names aren't Gonzalez, Smith, Lopez, etc. is pointless. Just calling Rob Mackowiak 'Mackwiak' isn't going to cause any confusion with Joe or Billy or John Mackowiak because those players do not exist in MLB.

So please, for the love of God, lets call the players by their names. If a nickname is warranted, put some ****ing thought into it for Christ sakes. There's a reason Frank is called the 'Big Hurt' and not FroTho (pronounced like the Hobbit in Lord in Lord of the Rings), there is a reason Joe Crede is 'Captain Clutch' and not JoCre. So lets all stop this nonsense now before WSI becomes the bottomless pit of fiery nickname Hell.

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Okay, I hate quoting myself but I see that my remarks is totally missunderstood.
Onda, I understood your Decatur-Peoria remarks!

Besides, your sentence (quoted above) contains several grammatical errors. :tongue::wink::redneck

MUsoxfan
01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Okay, I hate quoting myself but I see that my remarks is totally missunderstood.

The Bears were founded as the Decatur Staley's. (Actually, the Cardinals started as the Chicago Cardinals and played in Comiskey Park.)

My thought was that a Peoria born and bred guy would not root for a team originally from their mortal enemy, Decatur.

I think he's MUCH too young to hate the Bears for being born in Decatur. Just like most southsiders don't love the Cardinals and hate the Bears.

mike squires
01-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey, how the hell did Thome get my e-mail address?

Palehose13
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Tell Konerko that. :wink:

edit: Damn it rocky!

esbrechtel
01-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Good message from Jim, but i must say Pauls Xmas email was better...

thomas35forever
01-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Nice e-mail, Jim! Hope you're with the Sox organization (even after your playing days) for many years to come!

Norberto7
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM

Haha, yeah they didn't even wait for the PC era to begin to lose that moniker.

Herm Schneider
01-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Jim Thome ...let it rain (home runs that is )

Deuce
01-20-2006, 07:28 AM
IMO Not really. Most people in Illinois, even "southern" cities like Springfield, are Bears fans. They've been around a lot longer than any NFL team in St. Louis. When the Bears played at U of I, many of the fans were downstaters. There doesn't seem to be the division like between the Cards and Cubs.Given that the Rams are not the "native" team of St. Louis, there are a ton of Bears, Cardinals (Arizona, that is), and KC Chiefs fans in the St Louis area. It's pretty diverse around central Illinois as well. It propaply depends on what teams are broadcast in your area.

Deuce

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Nice welcome surprise in my inbox today. Favorite part - closing the email by beating the Indians on Opening Day.

Bobbo35
01-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Definately!!

Sox35th
01-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Thome vs Konerko

Well, first off I think itís great that the Sox have two classy guys in Thome and Konerko on the southside!!

My buddy and I were at the bar last night and we started talking about the two (Thome and Konerko) and who is going to have a better year, if they both stay healthy in the way of HRS and RBIís

For fun I took JT with (42/120) and my buddy took PK with (40/125)

Anyone else have thier pick??

Captian Ron
01-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm so pumped up after reading that. LET THE SEASON BEGIN!!!!!:gulp:

flo-B-flo
01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Judging from the mail I've been getting from friends that are Cleveland fans, they are very concerned about JT. Most of the comments start off about his health and quickly devolve into what I read as FEAR. I can't wait for the start of the season. GO-GO SOX!!

MsSoxVixen22
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Nice email from Jim. I look forward to seeing him play (partly because I've never seen him play.) :redface: He sounds like a class act and a good guy. Welcome aboard!

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Thome vs Konerko

Well, first off I think itís great that the Sox have two classy guys in Thome and Konerko on the southside!!

My buddy and I were at the bar last night and we started talking about the two (Thome and Konerko) and who is going to have a better year, if they both stay healthy in the way of HRS and RBIís

For fun I took JT with (42/120) and my buddy took PK with (40/125)

Anyone else have thier pick??

I agree they are classy but even if they were pissant prarie punks, if they hit like they do and importantly, they swing lefty righty, I am very excited about their being on the White Sox. This will be our version of Manny-Big Papi, but without the brainless, spineless play of Manny. Konerko isn't a Gold Glove 1B but he's solid and not an adventure like Ramirez.

ondafarm
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Onda, I understood your Decatur-Peoria remarks!

Besides, your sentence (quoted above) contains several grammatical errors. :tongue::wink::redneck

What does you means?

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Unless your name is Konerko, Paul. :smile:

Or Dye,Jermaine.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2006, 05:03 PM

I'll settle for 30 HR's,40 2 baggers and 120 RBI.:gulp:

Foulke You
01-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm going to put some money down on him leading the MLB in homers. He was originally listed at 50-1 but it has since dropped to 40-1. I really think he's going take advantage of the short fences down the left and right field lines.
I would put some money on the fact that Thome will probably break the distance record at US Cellular Field currently held by Joe Borchard's 500ft blast. Thome has a knack for some tape measure blasts and the way our park plays when it is warm outside, the people on the concourse better not be caught napping when he is at the plate.:cool:

Corlose 15
01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
So whats it going to take for Thome to make up for kicking the White Sox ass for so many years?

I say we forgive him if he gets us another title.:cool:

WinOrDyeTrying
01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Anyone remember the commercials he did last year about helping kids learn to play baseball? He should do another this season, complete with Ozzie telling a little kid that "Its my ****ing team!".