PDA

View Full Version : Wade Miller

getonbckthr
01-19-2006, 02:21 AM
I brought this up a couple months ago and I will bring it up again. Should the Sox take an incentive loaded chance on Wade Miller?

MUsoxfan
01-19-2006, 02:29 AM
So he could be a middle-reliever? We already have an extra starter. No, thanks

getonbckthr
01-19-2006, 02:51 AM
Everyone talks about an insurance policy. I think he would be a nice insurance policy for hardly anything.

kittle42
01-19-2006, 03:09 AM

I second this. We have 6 starters and my idea of solid middle relief isn't a bunch of broke down former starters.

Banix12
01-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Bringing in Wade Miller on a deal like they gave Tim Redding makes some sense for the sox. However it doesn't really make sense for Wade Miller.

Right now if I am a free agent pitcher who wants to start, even one which has had a rough spell like Miller, the White Sox are the last team I want to sign on to pitch for. They already have a loaded contingent of pitchers and the chances of him making the roster as a starter are pretty much nil. Miller hasn't thrown in relief in nearly seven years and I doubt he is keen on going to the bullpen so that situation doesn't exactly seem likely. Certainly the sox could offer him a chance to come to spring training and join the team but I just don't see Miller accepting a deal from the White Sox due to the lack of real opprotunity for him coming into this season.

My guess is he'll be brought in by some team which has a slot open to compete for a 5th starter spot.

kittle42
01-19-2006, 04:28 AM
My guess is he'll be brought in by some team which has a slot open to compete for a 5th starter spot.

Or he'll be the Royals' opening day starter! :smile:

Tragg
01-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Everyone talks about an insurance policy. I think he would be a nice insurance policy for hardly anything.

He's the opposite of insurance - he's a flyer.

Fenway
01-19-2006, 11:33 AM
The Red Sox are also kicking the tires

Garber hopes to have a deal in place with some team by the end of the week. Miller, who had late-September surgery on the labrum that limited him last season and has threatened what was once a marvelous young career, threw a baseball Monday for the first time since surgery.
''The target date to come back game ready is May 1," Garber said. ''He'll miss a month. Then he should be in the form he was with the Astros. It's going to take him some time, but he'll be back.
''Boston is showing some interest still. That's not out of the picture. We'll talk to Jed once we figure out the other offers. They have not shut the door."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/19/against_advice_arroyo_set_to_re_sign_for_three_yea rs/?page=full

dickallen15
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
So the guy has surgery on his labrum in late September and his agent is saying he will be back to the pitcher he was in Houston. Hasn't labrum surgery pretty much meant death to a pitcher's career? If the Red Sox aren't sure about him, I really think he's a longshot at best to pitch effectively in 2006.

soxfan13
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
No thanks