PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox are too popular now!!!

lizard6king6
01-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Just wondering if many of us true Sox fans are going to avoid the US Comiscular rush of fans in 06? It seems that almost every game will be sold out or close to being sold out. Does the crowd drive anyone away from going to Sox games this year or maybe affect how many you will go to? Personally I hate crowds of people but every year always go to a few big games and just deal with the crowds. This year I think its just going to be insane there (especially parking) and I wont be able to enjoy myslef as much.

I love my White Sox and will continue to watch every game on TV if possible but I cant see myself attending the 15-20 games I attended last year. It also makes me wonder with these big crowds now and the tickets we are selling how many true fans will be at the game? If you look on ebay you can already find hundreds of tickets online for Sox games, it seems people bought season tickets to just make a profit and I fear many of these season ticket purchases are from brokers.. Nonetheless, Im sure I will attend a few games and this will be another great year just thought I give my thoughts and if anyone else shares my view..

RadioheadRocks
01-19-2006, 12:34 AM
That's just one of those things that comes after a championship and cuts both ways. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment, bro... keep going to games and supporting our White Sox!!!!!

Foulke You
01-19-2006, 01:08 AM
I doubt it will keep any of the diehards away from the ballpark. I know it won't effect me at all.

MUsoxfan
01-19-2006, 01:20 AM
I'll still be going to 35-40 games this year like I do every year

chisoxfan64
01-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Not gonna stop me.:cool:

kittle42
01-19-2006, 02:06 AM
I encourage everyone who wants to avoid crowds to not go...more seats for me and my friends.

In fact, maybe you should move to Tampa Bay and consider supporting the Rays. They have plenty of open space.

Fredsox
01-19-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm not overly fond of crowds myself but the truth is once the game starts none of that matters. If you recall one of the greatest moments from last year was AJ's walk-off HR. My wife and I shared that moment with 39,000 of our closest friends and that was one heck of an experience that I would like to do again.

Ya gotta go. Just leave early and it'll all work out.

C-Dawg
01-19-2006, 05:58 AM
I say - the more the merrier! I like big crowds at the Cell.

I know one thing - the CTA Red Line is going to be insane this year after games. If I could find parking at Harlem on the Green Line I would use that option every time.

itsnotrequired
01-19-2006, 06:01 AM

I know one thing - the CTA Red Line is going to be insane this year after games. If I could find parking at Harlem on the Green Line I would use that option every time.

Those trains will indeed be nuts. Lucky for me, I'll be heading south after games and the trains aren't nearly as crowded.

Cat Thief
01-19-2006, 06:31 AM
I hate the big crowds also, but I am going to set a new personal record for attendance this year. I will just have to get used to it.

soxfanatlanta
01-19-2006, 06:32 AM
In fact, maybe you should move to Tampa Bay and consider supporting the Rays. They have plenty of open space.

I would not wish that on people I don't like - ok, perhaps one or two real knee-biters.

:D:

I've been to games a Fulton County Stadium where you could hear the gum-popping of the players, and let me tell you is sucked. Now, Turner Field has good, to very good crowds every night, and the energy level is out of this world; makes the games so much more enjoyable when you are not the only person whoppin' it up like a fool.

Sure, there are people in seats who have no idea when to bunt, call a hit and run, and every once in a while I get, "What does that E-3 mean?" from a chica whose original hair color will never been seen again, but what the hell? It's a small price to pay!

Eat more churros - you'll feel better.
:smile:

Realist
01-19-2006, 06:42 AM
I'll be at my usual 30 in 2006. I'm currently researching as to whether or not they make Luvs in my size.

That place is gonna be a madhouse all season long. :smile:

Bobbo35
01-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Ya, I think it is going to be rough this year with the crowds, but what are you going to do. I will be there for my usual 30-35 games and will deal with it. Just be smart and get to the park a bit earlier.

Go Sox!

TomBradley72
01-19-2006, 07:10 AM
We'll be the defending Word Champs throughout 2006.....the first time since 1918....I'll be there ever chance I can get...at least 20 games...it will take a little more planning to deal with traffic, parking, getting tickets....but with memories of Neil Allen or Ricky Horton as our Opening Day starters, the Terry Bevington era, etc....I'll take the crowds any day....

Sad
01-19-2006, 07:34 AM
nah...
I'm targeting 25-28 games this season...

34 Inch Stick
01-19-2006, 08:39 AM
This post sounds similar to the people who love a particular musical group and as soon as they become popular hate the group because they have sold out.

I hate the byproduct of crowds as well. I would like to be able to drive up 15 minutes before a game, get good parking, buy a ticket and then get a Polish all before the first pitch. However, I love that they have won. I also find that games can be a lot of fun with a big crowd. The players themselves have said that they do get additional motivation from a big crowd.

By the way, this talk about sellouts is overstated. April and May weekday tickets will be plentifull. I imagine June through August and all weekends will not see a crowd of less than 30,000.

AZChiSoxFan
01-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm not overly fond of crowds myself but the truth is once the game starts none of that matters. If you recall one of the greatest moments from last year was AJ's walk-off HR. My wife and I shared that moment with 39,000 of our closest friends and that was one heck of an experience that I would like to do again.

Ya gotta go. Just leave early and it'll all work out.

Totally agree. I was at a game in late July 2004 on a Sat night when the house was packed and the Sox came from behind to beat the Tigers on a walk-off homer by Crede in the bottom of the 9th. The win moved the Sox into first place by half a game. The Park had a "playoff feel" to it that night. Great experience.

jdm2662
01-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I hate crowds and the city in general as much as anyone. However, the only thing that will stop me from going to games is my schedule (damn work and grad school), and maybe money since I'm buying a place this year. I loved the fact I can get a decent seat the day of the game and not have huge traffic concerns. It's the price you pay for success. It will be harder to get a ticket for a good game. It's not going to be as bad during the Bulls run were it was impossible to get a ticket for any game.

CHIsoxNation
01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm already set for at least 20 games this year. Bring on the crowds, I love that environment.

Fenway
01-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Yogi Berra

I miss the days when the first couple of weeks of the season you might have 15,000 people ( or less ) rattling around Fenway. School still in session, it's cold, the Bruins and Celtics making long playoff runs :?: and Fenway simply had baseball fans. In 1986 when Clemens struck out 20, the Celtics had a big playoff game with Atlanta that night and there were 14,000 at the park. (now about 6,000,000 swear they were there )

The big bump in attendance when a team wins a championship is always the year after. Fans of 29 other teams will happily trade places with the White Sox.

Baby Fisk
01-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Just watch: the first cold-weather weeknight game that doesn't draw a large crowd will trigger all manner of wailing and pity...

"The Sox won the championship and they STILL can't draw!" :whiner:

MsSoxVixen22
01-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Just wondering if many of us true Sox fans are going to avoid the US Comiscular rush of fans in 06? It seems that almost every game will be sold out or close to being sold out. Does the crowd drive anyone away from going to Sox games this year or maybe affect how many you will go to? Personally I hate crowds of people but every year always go to a few big games and just deal with the crowds. This year I think its just going to be insane there (especially parking) and I wont be able to enjoy myslef as much.

I love my White Sox and will continue to watch every game on TV if possible but I cant see myself attending the 15-20 games I attended last year. It also makes me wonder with these big crowds now and the tickets we are selling how many true fans will be at the game? If you look on ebay you can already find hundreds of tickets online for Sox games, it seems people bought season tickets to just make a profit and I fear many of these season ticket purchases are from brokers.. Nonetheless, Im sure I will attend a few games and this will be another great year just thought I give my thoughts and if anyone else shares my view..

Don't feel bad. I had similar thoughts about how many "true" fans will be buying tickets for the games. I know its probably going to be hard but I'm going to do my damnest to get single tickest for '06. Enjoy the '06 season and don't let the "bandwagoneers" effect you.

MadetoOrta
01-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Here's some perspective: think how many Bulls' fans started out as Michael Jordan "bandwagon" fans. Now note that they still average 20,000 fans many years after doing anything. bandwagons can be beneficial

dcb56
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Oak Park operates a parking garage northeast of the corner of Harlem and Lake, directly behind the Borders. There is no charge to park on weekends and it's less than a block from the Green Line.

Here's a map of the area:
http://www.downtownoakpark.net/map.htm

soxfan13
01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
It shouldnt stop you from going and enjoying your team. Yes it will be harder to move around and about US Cell with traffic and all, but if you are a true fan you will continue to go and put up with the crowds.

Chrisaway
01-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Just means i gotta get to the park at 3pm as opposed to 5.

Max Power
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I still plan to attend 10 or so games like the last few seasons. Though I'll probably have to settle for some less attractive games because the prime games will sell out long in advance. I will miss the days of coming home from work/school and thinking, 'It's nice night, I'm going to jump on the el and go to the Sox game,' knowing that decent tickets will be available.
But I prefer sellout crowds and look forward to many of them this season. It's not the quanity of people, it's the quality. That's why I stopped going to Sox/Cubs games and half price nights. Too many people were there that weren't baseball and/or Sox fans, which made it very annoying. Hopefully most of that element will be gone this year, as tickets will be harder to come by.

Iwritecode
01-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Don't feel bad. I had similar thoughts about how many "true" fans will be buying tickets for the games. I know its probably going to be hard but I'm going to do my damnest to get single tickest for '06. Enjoy the '06 season and don't let the "bandwagoneers" effect you.

I got the ozzie plan for the first time this year. I know I won't be able to make it to all the games so I'll probably be offering a few of the games for sale. Face value of course. :wink:

I'm sure other posters will be doing the same thing...

pinwheels3530
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I got a split plan,so I'll be there during the week!!:D:

pdimas
01-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Any word on whether the port o potties will still be on the concourses? That is my only crowd concern. Besides that the place should be an absolute madhouse :D: and i am lookin forward to it.

ChiSoxLifer
01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Come on everyone. You should be ecstatic about this year. When I lived in Chicago, there were decent crowds but nothing at all like it will be this year. You truly don't know how jealous I am and you should be ashamed of yourselves if you don't attend games this year. The White Sox are in the process of taking over Chicago! Go be a part of it and help take that mythical attendance trophy to boot.

woodenleg
01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm thrilled about the attendance.

Don't know if I can go to as many games, but I do know that I and my family have had no trouble getting decent Cubs tickets and they say those are always 'sold out', so go figure. (Yes, I have been in 'enemy' territory - sue me!)

TornLabrum
01-19-2006, 05:03 PM
There are two things all of us "true fans" need to impress on the bandwagon jumpers who will be showing up next year:

1) We don't throw home run balls back at Sox games;

2) The wave is unacceptable.

LuvSox
01-19-2006, 05:16 PM
There are two things all of us "true fans" need to impress on the bandwagon jumpers who will be showing up next year:

Is this going to be another etiquette article? :D:

IlliniSox4Life
01-19-2006, 05:33 PM

3) Wait until in between pitches to stand up if you must leave to go to the bathroom/get food.

And I can definately tolerate the extra fans. Look at the payroll this year. It's because of all of the season tickets sold. And if more single game tickets are sold, and attendance is great this year. JR will spend even more next year on the team, and with Kenny spending it wisely, we're gonna be great for a long time.

Winners=Lots of Fans.
Losers=Less Fans.
There's no way around it, and winning supercedes anything else.

gobears1987
01-19-2006, 09:25 PM
There will be plenty of tickets available online from fans who bought season tickets to get WS tickets but can't make all 81 games.

TomBradley72
01-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Totally agree. I was at a game in late July 2004 on a Sat night when the house was packed and the Sox came from behind to beat the Tigers on a walk-off homer by Crede in the bottom of the 9th. The win moved the Sox into first place by half a game. The Park had a "playoff feel" to it that night. Great experience.

I was there too...what a great night....I was convinced it was the beginning of a great run and Crede would have an incredible 2nd half...but it wasn't and he didn't. God bless the 2005 World Champion White Sox. :gulp:

TomBradley72
01-19-2006, 10:47 PM
N
I miss the days when the first couple of weeks of the season you might have 15,000 people ( or less ) rattling around Fenway. School still in session, it's cold, the Bruins and Celtics making long playoff runs :?: and Fenway simply had baseball fans. In 1986 when Clemens struck out 20, the Celtics had a big playoff game with Atlanta that night and there were 14,000 at the park. (now about 6,000,000 swear they were there )

Well told Fenway.

Only a real fan knows how great April baseball can be when only the diehards care to come out to the park...which is usually nearly empty. Game 2 of 2005 has to go down as one of my favorite (non Opening Day) April games....

Fenway
01-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Well told Fenway.

Only a real fan knows how great April baseball can be when only the diehards care to come out to the park...which is usually nearly empty. Game 2 of 2005 has to go down as one of my favorite (non Opening Day) April games....

I was there for Game 3 when Shingo had a rough 9th :o:

but I remember a fan in his 60's who saw my Red Sox championship hat and said "just once I want the same thing for my Sox"

I hope he wearing it all winter long :smile:

MUsoxfan
01-19-2006, 11:34 PM
I was there for Game 3 when Shingo had a rough 9th :o:

I was there too....sitting in the upper deck with Rooney and Farmer in my ears. Even in the sun, it was brisk outside to say the least. Viz got hung out to dry that day:(:

spiffie
01-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Can we please have you come out before each game and make these announcements? Preferably adding on something like "the penalty for violation is death."

Fenway
01-20-2006, 10:21 AM
I was there too....sitting in the upper deck with Rooney and Farmer in my ears. Even in the sun, it was brisk outside to say the least. Viz got hung out to dry that day:(:

it was chilly that day

Cat Thief
01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
it was chilly that day

I will miss those empty park days.

itsnotrequired
01-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I will miss those empty park days.

There could still be a few of them in 2006. I'm looking at that April 19 weekday afternoon game against the Royals...

Cat Thief
01-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Its on my 27 plan.

I'll be there.

Stroker Ace
01-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Wow. I see peolpe saying they are going to 30 or so games next year. The most I've been to in one year was three, but it's not like I have a choice in the matter ($).

chisoxfanatic
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I won't stay away from the ballpark. I have already purchased the 27-game weekday season ticket package and plan on going to other games as well. I went to 38 games last year and hope to break that record this year!

spiffie
01-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Wow. I see peolpe saying they are going to 30 or so games next year. The most I've been to in one year was three, but it's not like I have a choice in the matter ($).
A lot of us on this board aren't rich. But if you save up and make getting to games your #1 priority, then all of a sudden a plan is not out of reach. For instance, a 27 game upper deck plan can be had for about $450. That's just over $1 a day. If you put aside $10 a week, at the end of the year you have the money for a 27 gamer. I know I just paid the final installment on my seats, and I'm going to be tight for a while, but it'll be worth it when the sun is shining, I have a Kosher Dog in my hand, and I'm watching the World Champs.

TheKittle
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
A lot of us on this board aren't rich. But if you save up and make getting to games your #1 priority, then all of a sudden a plan is not out of reach. For instance, a 27 game upper deck plan can be had for about $450. That's just over $1 a day. If you put aside $10 a week, at the end of the year you have the money for a 27 gamer. I know I just paid the final installment on my seats, and I'm going to be tight for a while, but it'll be worth it when the sun is shining, I have a Kosher Dog in my hand, and I'm watching the World Champs.

That's true, it's just a case of budgeting your money. I teach a six week SAT class and all that money goes to my summer vacation which is usually a baseball trip, most likely going to see the yellow rose of Texas as a thank you for Texas beating those FRAUDS from usc. I also tutor in the afternoon and that money goes for my trip to the Final Four, too bad this year I have to go to Boston and be close to those whining, crybabies, AKA Red Sox fans.