PDA

View Full Version : Sox TV problems

Fenway
01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
In case you are wondering why the the TV schedule hasn't been released yet there are problems with the over the air part of the schedule and WGN is still trying to sort things out.

The problem stems from WGN's time share partner of the past WCIU and the fact that Channel 26 will not agree to televise games in HD. Even though WCIU has a HD transmitter they have chosen instead of using it for HD broadcasts they instead use HD to retransmit low power ME-TV to area cable systems and WCIU does not want to disrupt Channel 23's programming which has a loyal following.

It appears that WGN is talking to another station about taking overflow Sox and Cubs games ( which are telecast as SOX NET and CUBS NET ) and that is Channel 38 which is owned by PAX. They also use HD to retransmit other stations but are more inclined to broadcast the games in HD.

More on this by the end of the week

SOXintheBURGH
01-18-2006, 10:35 AM
If I get PAX in Pittsburgh, will I get Sox games?

Fenway
01-18-2006, 10:36 AM

No each PAX has a local switching system Of top of my head the only other MLB team on PAX is Tampa Bay

Iwritecode
01-18-2006, 10:37 AM
In case you are wondering why the the TV schedule hasn't been released yet there are problems with the over the air part of the schedule and WGN is still trying to sort things out.

The problem stems from WGN's time share partner of the past WCIU and the fact that Channel 26 will not agree to televise games in HD. Even though WCIU has a HD transmitter they have chosen instead of using it for HD broadcasts they instead use HD to retransmit low power ME-TV to area cable systems and WCIU does not want to disrupt Channel 23's programming which has a loyal following.

It appears that WGN is talking to another station about taking overflow Sox and Cubs games ( which are telecast as SOX NET and CUBS NET ) and that is Channel 38 which is owned by PAX. They also use HD to retransmit other stations but are more inclined to broadcast the games in HD.

Either way there's going to be a dozen games or so that I can't watch because I don't get Chicago channels...

SoxFan78
01-18-2006, 10:58 AM

At least they are addressing this problem. I hated when the Sox were at home and the Cubs were away and the Sox were not avaialbe on HD cause they would be on WCIU. If you have the ability to show home games in HD, then go to a station thats willing to carry it.

Fenway
01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
At least they are addressing this problem. I hated when the Sox were at home and the Cubs were away and the Sox were not avaialbe on HD cause they would be on WCIU. If you have the ability to show home games in HD, then go to a station thats willing to carry it.

Many teams are now offering all road games in HD as well. HD penetration has reached a level high enough to warrant full coverage. It is very similar to when color TV exploded in the mid 60's.

One would think WCIU would do anything to keep WGN happy but Weigel Broadcasting is not the easiest company to deal with. Tonight is a perfect example as low powered Channel 23 has the Northwestern at Michigan basketball game as Channel 26 does not want to anger the loyal "Mad About You" fans. To be fair Weigel is using their HD signal in a way that makes money for them but I would think they would want to keep baseball.

mandmandm
01-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Anything to get rid of the U's late 70's broadcasting quality I am game for. The more HD the better, especially if it is Directv friendly.

Fenway
01-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Anything to get rid of the U's late 70's broadcasting quality I am game for. The more HD the better, especially if it is Directv friendly.

You think Channel 26 is bad? You should check out the CBS station Weigel owns in Milwaukee ( which is on UHF ) Maybe the worst broadcast signal I have ever seen.

dickallen15
01-18-2006, 11:38 AM

The U sucks for Sox games. The sound sucks. There is a shadow on my screen even though I have cable, and the field always looks dark when the games on the U. Good riddance. What a time to drop out from broadcasting the games, when the team wins its first championship in 88 years.

jdm2662
01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
You think Channel 26 is bad? You should check out the CBS station Weigel owns in Milwaukee ( which is on UHF ) Maybe the worst broadcast signal I have ever seen.

I always that was channel 3? What CBS station did I used to get many years ago on my old antenna? Was if from Milwaukee or was it Grand Rapids? I never got too clear, but enough to see what was going on.

Fenway
01-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I always that was channel 3? What CBS station did I used to get many years ago on my old antenna? Was if from Milwaukee or was it Grand Rapids? I never got too clear, but enough to see what was going on.

Channel 3 would be Grand Rapids
http://www.wwmt.com/

10 years ago when the NFL moved to FOX from CBS, the Milwaukee CBS station on Channel 6 switched to FOX and CBS wound up on Channel 58.

The Channel 58 GM explains Weigel's business plan for HDTV in Milwaukee.
http://www.cbs58.com/hdtv.html

Chicken Dinner
01-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I will have to say that even the WGN games we get here in AZ are not that good. The volume is always going up and down and they play the same commercials over and over.

infohawk
01-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I saw your response to the question of PAX in Pittsburgh. I obviously don't understand how the broadcasts work. Would I get the Sox games on PAX in central Illinois (being far closer to Chicago)?

Fenway
01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
I saw your response to the question of PAX in Pittsburgh. I obviously don't understand how the broadcasts work. Would I get the Sox games on PAX in central Illinois (being far closer to Chicago)?

The only station PAX owns in Illinois is WCPX Channel 38 so it is "possible" that is what your cable company carries

http://www.ionline.tv/stations/list.cfm?id=1&STATE=IL

chisoxmike
01-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Yeah, becuase people really need to see reruns of The Berine Mac show, and new episodes of Sisters in HD.

peeonwrigley
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM
The U has is carried by a decent amount of cable systems outside the immediate metro area; largely because of its sports programming. They carry Big 10 revenue sports (ESPN+) in addition to the WGN overflow games, occassional Bulls games, and even Bears games only otherwise shown on cable.

I would think the channel would like to keep these outlets as happy as possible.

skobabe8
01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, becuase people really need to see reruns of The Berine Mac show, and new episodes of Sisters in HD.

And Becker! They're line-up is beyond awful.

FielderJones
01-19-2006, 01:43 PM

Channel 38 has six digital signals going. Do they have the capacity to do all this HD?

buehrle4cy05
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
That sucks for me, because I don't have HD, and the Pax picture sucks.

soxfanatlanta
01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
That sucks for me, because I don't have HD, and the Pax picture sucks.

At least you will be able to watch the game. :(: I shall be in the man-cave, listening to it on XM radio.

Realist
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
:hijacked: Fenway, is there any chance that Comcast is going to start broadcasting with closed captioning soon? I'm sick of running ESPN Shmuckcenter all nite long so the folks at the bar can read what the talking heads are saying.

Also, anyword on if Comcast Sports Chicago is going to be blowing up their current sets and moving beyond the current On-TV/Sportsvision retro look?

Your Brother in Orr,
Realist

Fenway
01-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Channel 38 has six digital signals going. Do they have the capacity to do all this HD?

from what I have heard PAX is willing to not air the other channels during games which is something WCIU as of now is balking at

Fenway
01-19-2006, 03:06 PM
:hijacked: Fenway, is there any chance that Comcast is going to start broadcasting with closed captioning soon? I'm sick of running ESPN Shmuckcenter all nite long so the folks at the bar can read what the talking heads are saying.

Also, anyword on if Comcast Sports Chicago is going to be blowing up their current sets and moving beyond the current On-TV/Sportsvision retro look?

Your Brother in Orr,
Realist

on captioning they are looking for some corporation to underwrite it. (NESN for example has Dunkin Donunts)

concerning sets I know that WGBH has talked to them but they may not want to pay :(: and GBH does good work and much cheaper prices than places in NY and LA. ( they have a decent client list )

http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/wgbhscenics/gallery/thumbnail1.html

Realist
01-19-2006, 03:20 PM
on captioning they are looking for some corporation to underwrite it. (NESN for example has Dunkin Donunts)

concerning sets I know that WGBH has talked to them but they may not want to pay :(: and GBH does good work and much cheaper prices than places in NY and LA. ( they have a decent client list )

http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/wgbhscenics/gallery/thumbnail1.html

Thanks. Hopefully they'll opt to let WGBH have a go at it. Some of those sets are 10x's better than what they currently have. I hope Bill Wirzt doesn't have a say in this.

PKalltheway
01-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Damn, if this happens, I won't be able to watch any Sox games unless they come on WGN or Fox on Saturdays. It probably means that I'll have to get extra innings like I did last year.

Fenway
01-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks. Hopefully they'll opt to let WGBH have a go at it. Some of those sets are 10x's better than what they currently have. I hope Bill Wirzt doesn't have a say in this.

His son Peter does :(:

CSN-Chicago is still run like it was the old Sportsvision that was in the Cablevision building in Oak Park. The give as an excuse for the limited sets the fact that studio space is cramped at the Trade Mart. Trust me NOTHING is more cramped than the old 1930's radio studio inside Fenway Park that NESN uses and yet they look as polished on the air as ESPN.

Some wonder why either the Cubs or White Sox didn't elect to stay with FSN-Chicago where they would be kings on that channel with everybody else leaving. The reality is the FSN empire run by Charles and James Dolan is even worse. The Indians are owned by Dolan's brother and he escaped from FSN-Ohio to start his own channel, that alone should speak volumes.

Realist
01-19-2006, 04:26 PM
His son Peter does :(:

That station is doomed. :(:

Fenway
01-21-2006, 10:52 AM
That station is doomed. :(:

I do know that Peter would like more home games on TV but it will not happen until the old man sails away for good. From what I have been told Bill Wirtz still remembers home games being televised in the 50's and the Hawks were lucky to draw 3,000 fans ( this is before Hull and Mikita showed up ) He has been shown every study that shows televising home hockey game promotes interest in the club ( because teams usually win at home, the crowd is happy ) but he will not budge.

I hope the HD TV issue gets resolved soon. In any event the trucks being assigned will be HD even if the game will not be shown in that format.

now I am praying that the 4 HD trucks we just sent to Italy don't sink in the Atlantic....the Olympics are a nightmare

I want Mags back
01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
while were on the subject of TV problems, anyone see the end of the 4th quarter of last nights bulls game, on CSN. its was destorted and in slow-mo, with no audio

roylestillman
01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Further complications: UPN (WCIU's Network) and the WB (WGN's network) are merging. May be a lot of time to fill on one of those stations.

Hitmen77
01-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Further complications: UPN (WCIU's Network) and the WB (WGN's network) are merging. May be a lot of time to fill on one of those stations.

Actually, UPN is WPWR's (Channel 50's) network. WCIU is not network affiliated.

So, I assume that WPWR will become an independant too? Perhaps they could be a good option for SoxNet. By the way, IIRC, Fox owns WPWR in addition to Fox 32.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-ap-tv-network,1,4953478.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Kogs35
01-24-2006, 02:57 PM

wpwr tv aka upn50 is owned by fox32

Fenway
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
hmmmmm WLVI is saying the new network will be 7 nights a week with a similar schedule to FOX and WGN will be the flagship.

The new network will be a 50-50 partnership between Warner Bros. and CBS, and the network will be carried on stations owned by the Tribune Co., which is a minority owner of the WB network.

In Boston, that means the CW will air on WLVI-TV.

WSBK-TV, Boston's UPN affiliate, will continue to operate, but without UPN programming.

CBS owns CBS4, WSBK, and cbs4boston.com in Boston.

CBS needed help as they didn't own second stations in NY and LA ( which Tribune does ) big loser is FOX which now has no programing for NY, Chicago and LA on their UPN stations.