PDA

View Full Version : Since when is Uribe in WBC?

caulfield12
01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
I saw in the Daily Southtown today that he was listed on the Dominican Republic roster...

The market for free-agent catcher Mike Piazza appears alarmingly thin; the Rays could be a possibility if they traded Aubrey Huff. The Marlins and Nationals remain interested in Rays center fielder Joey Gathright, and the Mariners could get involved for Gathright if they trade Jeremy Reed to the Red Sox. The Marlins want to evaluate the young pitchers they acquired this off-season before trading one of them for a player like Gathright....
from foxsports.com

Lip Man 1
01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Apparently as of today he is.

Uh-Oh!

But fear not. S.I. reported this week that unless Cuba is allowed to play, the international baseball organization will not sanction this 'event'. That means that any countries who play, are risking banishment from certified events like the World Championships and so forth.

Can't wait to see the Marshall Islands play Holland! LOL

Lip

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Apparently as of today he is.

Uh-Oh!

But fear not. S.I. reported this week that unless Cuba is allowed to play, the international baseball organization will not sanction this 'event'. That means that any countries who play, are risking banishment from certified events like the World Championships and so forth.

Can't wait to see the Marshall Islands play Holland! LOL

LipThis is going to be interesting. I can't see either side backing down in this taffy pull.

skottyj242
01-18-2006, 12:10 PM
From what I understand each country put in a roster of sixty players of which thirty can be picked. You can't be picked unless you're on the original list of sixty, maybe he's on there as like a third back-up in case of injury, as in he has no intention of playing except....

FedEx227
01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Rays could lose Gathright without much worry thanks to Rocco Baldelli (if hes ever healthy again) and Delmon Young patrolling that OF for years to come. But only trade him for decent pitching... but this is the D-Rays we're talking about and they trade veteran prospects for younger prospects, constantly.

Chisox003
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Castro had this gem to say about the WBC....
Fidel Castro suggested the United States doesn't want to play Cuba in the World Baseball Classic, which is awaiting word on whether the U.S. government will let the island's players take part.

"We aren't afraid of anything," Castro said in a wide-ranging speech late Tuesday. "It's very difficult to compete against us in any area ... not even in baseball do they want to compete with Cuba."
Didn't want to start a new thread on this garbage, just thought it was comical....

Ya Fidel, we're going all out on this one. :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous.