PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie vs. David Wells

WinningUgly!
01-02-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm still somewhat surprised at all of the negative words towards Todd Ritchie. Sure Kenny Williams may have overpaid a bit for him, but it's not like Sean Lowe or Kip Wells had realistic shots at being in the starting rotation this season. Down the road, Kip might become a quality starter, but over the past few seasons both he & Lowe have been more successful in relief roles. Now in no way am I saying that Ritchie is an "Ace" caliber starting pitcher, but after last year's big off-season deal for David Wells, it seemed like most of the talk was that we got the "Ace" that we needed to put us over the top, etc. With Buehrle seemingly stepping up into that role heading into 2002, Ritchie is the type of starter we need following him in the rotation. Below are Ritchie's 3-year averages before joining the Sox(99-01), followed by Boomer Wells' before he joined the Sox(98-00). When money, health & risk are factored in...well, whatever :D:

TR/DW
GS-31/33
IP-189/225
BB-52/41
SO-118/166
W-12/18
L-11/7
HR-22/28
ERA-4.32/4.16

Wells obviously has a slight edge in most catagories, but as some will argue that Ritchie's numbers were aided by pitching in the NL, his IP & BB were also hurt by this. Not to mention his W/L with lack of run support.

dougs78
01-02-2002, 10:37 PM
WinningUgly, I would have to say I agree with you. This is the way I feel about the trade as well. I won't argue with people who think we overpaid, but I will also say it was a beneficial trade that helped our team. Even if Ritchie is a slight upgrade over what we would have had in the rotation without him it will be worth it IMO because I dont' feel we lost anyone we absolutely cannot replace.
yes, I did love kip and wish him nothing but the best and sean was good in his role. Lowe's value was never higher than this....i honestly was wishing we would have traded him at teh deadline, considering teams like the Cubs were willing to give up Quevedo or the yanks Jiminez for middle relievers of the Sean Lowe ilk. Bottom line is we traded quantity for hopefully more quality than we had before. I do have faith in Ken Williams, and perhaps I'm the only one, but I honestly do. Not nominating him for GM of the year quite yet, but I think he has done a reasonable job with the hand he has been dealt.

hold2dibber
01-03-2002, 12:48 PM
I agree that the trade was probably a good one -- although I sure wish it would have been a 2-for-1 instead of a 3-for-1. That said, I think Ritchie is a quality #3 starter; I still think we need another veteran arm to bolster the rotation. I have some confidence that Garland is ready. I have absolutely no confidence that Glover, Biddle, Wright, or Rauch are ready. And Parque is a big question mark. The division is there for the taking -- a bold move is needed. Get on the phone, Kenny! Go get a Kevin Appier, a Dustin Hermanson, a Hideo Nomo; someone who is going to give you 20+ quality starts and eat up innings.

MattSharp
01-03-2002, 12:57 PM
I agree with Dibber.

Buerhle is 1
Ritchie is 3
Garland is 4
Biddle/Parque/Wright are 5.

You still need one veteran arm at No. 2

Pedro Astacio and Rick Helling could be answers for the quality innings but both come at a high price.

But me and my dad have been thinking what aobut David Cone?

Daver
01-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I agree with Dibber.

Buerhle is 1
Ritchie is 3
Garland is 4
Biddle/Parque/Wright are 5.

You still need one veteran arm at No. 2

Pedro Astacio and Rick Helling could be answers for the quality innings but both come at a high price.

But me and my dad have been thinking what aobut David Cone?

There is a reason David Cone hasn't gotten a single offer this off-season,he is done as a starting pitcher,perhaps done period.