PDA

View Full Version : Contreras situation looks pretty grim

caulfield12
01-18-2006, 07:24 AM
"Several weeks ago, we had a very candid conversation where we wanted them to get to a bottom line. They did that, and it wasn't realistic for us to do,'' Hahn said. "Contreras talks for right now are dried up.''

The two sides are believed to be apart on both length of contract and salary. "We have Jose through 2006 and exclusivity to negotiate with him through Nov. 15 next season," Hahn said. "I suppose something could change and we could still get a deal done between now and then, but the nature of our conversations with Jaime were bottom line."

Hangar18
01-18-2006, 07:28 AM
"Several weeks ago, we had a very candid conversation where we wanted them to get to a bottom line. They did that, and it wasn't realistic for us to do,'' Hahn said. "Contreras talks for right now are dried up.''

The two sides are believed to be apart on both length of contract and salary. "We have Jose through 2006 and exclusivity to negotiate with him through Nov. 15 next season," Hahn said. "I suppose something could change and we could still get a deal done between now and then, but the nature of our conversations with Jaime were bottom line."

I dont think they look grim at all ............. I believe that of all the people to be signing, theyve done first, Contreras' situation could be dealt with now thru midseason. I actually think he also wants to stay ..............Rick Hahns words are carefully chosen, it was the smart thing to say, talks arent over.

doublem23
01-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Jose and his agent have every right in the world to demand what they want. KW has already been smart enough to stock the Sox with 4 veteran arms (all of whom are, at worst, proven workhorses), and Brandon McCarthy.

If this is Jose's curtain call in Chicago, here's hoping he gets one more ring as a parting gift. :cheers:

caulfield12
01-18-2006, 08:15 AM
I dont think they look grim at all ............. I believe that of all the people to be signing, theyve done first, Contreras' situation could be dealt with now thru midseason. I actually think he also wants to stay ..............Rick Hahns words are carefully chosen, it was the smart thing to say, talks arent over.

Well, the problem is that we could sign him now for 3 years and something like $36 million...if we wait, the price could even go higher if he pitches consistently as he did in the second half of the season. If he pitches like he did in the first half, well, I am pretty sure we would be wise not to keep him, even at $9-11 million, because of his age questions.

The only way signing Jose makes sense is if KW already has in mind to trade Vazquez or Garcia, for whatever reason.

DaleJRFan
01-18-2006, 08:50 AM
The issue at large here, is that the White Sox are negotiating from a position of strength. Sox already, without Jose have 3 aces and 2 solid starters. IF a deal can't be reached with Jose, then the Sox are still set and locked in for at least 2 more years with the same rotation. Without Jose Contreras, its still one of the top rotations in baseball. But with him, its THE best. We'll have to wait and see what KW has up his sleeve.

Hitmen77
01-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Unless Vazquez is a total bust or one of the starters goes down with a serious injury, the Sox are in the excellent position of not having to give Contreras what he wants. If they lose him after '06, they still have 5 solid starting pitchers.

Like caulfield12 said, if he continues his 2nd half success throughout '06, then the Sox may have wished they game him 3/36. But, if he returns to his earlier struggles, then they would be glad they didn't give him 3/36. With 5 other potentially great starters, the Sox don't need to take that risk.

Also, even with our new attendance surge, the Sox don't have the Yankees limitless payroll. There are only so many players we can pay $12 million per year.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I think Kenny didn't like to be in a situation where 40% of his starting rotation could leave after this season. Replacing two starters probably would mean going into the FA market, where talent is badly overpriced. Part of the reason he acquired Vazquez is insurance against that possibility. With Garland's signing, KW is a lot less vulnerable. As others have pointed out, even if Contreras leaves after 2006, they've got a ready replacement - assuming it gets to that point, and I don't think it will.

Corlose 15
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, Brandon McCarthy can only work out in the bullpen for so long. So after this season it will be interesting to see if they let him start or if they go with the veterans again. I don't think they'll keep all 6 starters for 2007, but who knows.

Taliesinrk
01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, the problem is that we could sign him now for 3 years and something like $36 million...if we wait, the price could even go higher if he pitches consistently as he did in the second half of the season. If he pitches like he did in the first half, well, I am pretty sure we would be wise not to keep him, even at $9-11 million, because of his age questions.

The only way signing Jose makes sense is if KW already has in mind to trade Vazquez or Garcia, for whatever reason.

Ohh boyyy.. does anyone here remember that situation so long ago??? The one with a guy named Paul Konerko. I can just envision the boards now after the season's over... ridiculing KW and how they can't believe he didn't sign him to an extension last offseason.

:rolleyes:

caulfield12
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Ohh boyyy.. does anyone here remember that situation so long ago??? The one with a guy named Paul Konerko. I can just envision the boards now after the season's over... ridiculing KW and how they can't believe he didn't sign him to an extension last offseason.

:rolleyes:

The reality here is that Contreras isnīt going to command more than $12 million per year unless he wins the Cy Young. He definitely has more downside contract-wise to not replicating his 2nd half of 2005, due to his age. If he pitches like he did in the first half, he is still going to make $7-9 million, based on the salaries we saw this offseason, because he has become such a workhorse.

Dick Allen
01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
The issue at large here, is that the White Sox are negotiating from a position of strength. Sox already, without Jose have 3 aces and 2 solid starters. IF a deal can't be reached with Jose, then the Sox are still set and locked in for at least 2 more years with the same rotation. Without Jose Contreras, its still one of the top rotations in baseball. But with him, its THE best. We'll have to wait and see what KW has up his sleeve.Wait a minute, don't you know it's the Cubs who have the best rotaton? Just ask Bobby Howry. And their stupid fans.

ChiSoxRowand
01-18-2006, 03:29 PM
We need to keep Jose. He finally came into his own last year like people have been waiting for. He is my early pick to win the Cy Young.

34 Inch Stick
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I just cannot understand why the Sox would talk to him on an extension at 12 million per year. Even if he pitches at a Cy Young level, will a (then) 35 year old pitcher garner the years and the dollar amount he is asking. Maybe, but I would be willing to take that gamble.

russ99
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Regardless, the Sox not only have Contreras relatively cheap for 2006, but also have a position of strength in any contract renewal scenario.

If Jose pitches great, they bite the bullet and either re-sign him or trade him for a solid player at the deadline.

If Jose pitches badly, they get either a cheaper deal for next season, or can put McCarthy into the rotation.

Kenny, you're a genius.

DickAllen72
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Regardless, the Sox not only have Contreras relatively cheap for 2006, but also have a position of strength in any contract renewal scenario.

If Jose pitches great, they bite the bullet and either re-sign him or trade him for a solid player at the deadline.

If Jose pitches great (as he did the last half of 2005) he would bring a king's ransom if the Sox choose to trade him at the deadline.

And if they choose not to trade him, he's still a bargain for 2006.

Tragg
01-21-2006, 12:09 AM
It wouldn't be the end of the world if Kenny can't sign him. In fact, depending on the circumstances 10 months from now, it might be the right move. The one guy we need to make sure to sign is MB.
And I don't think we'll have 6 startes in perpetuity so in the next 2 or so years, one of them is going to go.

Malgar 12
01-21-2006, 08:25 AM
It wouldn't be the end of the world if Kenny can't sign him. In fact, depending on the circumstances 10 months from now, it might be the right move. The one guy we need to make sure to sign is MB.
And I don't think we'll have 6 startes in perpetuity so in the next 2 or so years, one of them is going to go.

I would bet one of them goes this year. Most likely Jose.

Tragg
01-21-2006, 09:06 AM
I would bet one of them goes this year. Most likely Jose.
I would guess Jose to; but I think it will be a "let him walk" situation, not a trade.
If he's having a great year, we won't want to trade him in July.
If he's struggling, we wouldn't get anything for him.
Now if the team as a whole is struggling, then we might dump him.

Mohoney
01-21-2006, 01:27 PM
What if we win the whole damn thing again and rake in $25 million or so in profits? What if we have about 40 games that are sold out next year?

Look what happened with Konerko. After all was said and done, he came back. The same thing could happen with Contreras.

Sox-o-matic
01-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Now that Garland is resigned I think it all depends on how well Javier Vazquez does. If he puts up numbers similar to last year while Jose does well, I think we may sign Jose again and trade Javier.

Or, if both Javier and Jose put up mediocre seasons I can see KW seriously going after either Mulder or Zito in FA, trading Javier, and starting Brandon.

With 5 SP signed through 2007 at least, another ace signed through this year, and a few more aces available in FA next year, I think KW is going to have more than enough options. Even if KW does absolutely nothing with the pitching staff I still think our rotation will be in great shape for 2007 barring injury. But then again we should have Broadway in AA or AAA by that time anyway, and depending on how the Sox are on him then, even with an injury we could still be in great shape.

But, this is all too far off anyway. Let's win another World Series and go from there.

caulfield12
01-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I would guess Jose to; but I think it will be a "let him walk" situation, not a trade.
If he's having a great year, we won't want to trade him in July.
If he's struggling, we wouldn't get anything for him.
Now if the team as a whole is struggling, then we might dump him.

He is still going to be a very valuable commodity because of his playoff success and the fact everyone now knows he CAN do it...even if he was pitching as defensively as the first half of the season, he could easily net us the equivalent of G. Gonzalez and Haigwood from another team desperate to add a starter to get into the playoffs

gobears1987
01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I won't believe this until I hear anything official. I was hearing how Jon Garland would never sign with us and we ended up getting him cheap.