PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America Top 10 Trade Sox Prospects

TheKittle
01-17-2006, 11:21 PM
For all those crying about the White Sox trading away all these "great" prospects Baseball America lists the Top 10 prospects that Kenny Williams has traded away. I'm sure there are some who want those guys back and would trade the 2005 World Series Championship to get them back. :rolleyes:

The Top 10.
1. Chris Young, of (December 2005 to Arizona for Javier Vazquez)
2. Jeremy Reed, of (June 2004 to Seattle for Freddy Garcia)
3. Gio Gonzalez, lhp (November 2005 to Philadelphia for Jim Thome)
4. Josh Fogg, of (December 2001 to Pittsburgh for Todd Ritchie)
5. Mike Morse, ss (Garcia)
6. Daniel Haigwood, lhp (Thome)
7. Matt Guerrier, rhp (March 2002 to Pittsburgh for Damaso Marte)
8. Gary Majewski, rhp (July 2004 to Montreal for Carl Everett)
9. Josh Rupe, rhp (July 2003 to Texas for Carl Everett)
10. Franklin Francisco, rhp (Everett/Texas)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html)

spiffie
01-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Jeremy Reed is in the Baseball Prospectus Hall of Fame, so that trade's a bust.

kittle42
01-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Chris Young is better than Jeremy Reed? Man, how could the Sox have traded away Mantle AND DiMaggio?

hempsox
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM
A scrub fan I work with actually pointed this list out to me the other day. He actually stated that other than the chair thrower and Reed there wasn't anyone on that list that looked like much at the ML level. BTW...he is also someone that knows the full roster of each and every level of the cubs minor league system and can discuss teams and players from around the major leagues. He also takes a good deal of crap from me on a daily basis with the Sox winning it all. He only calls me a bassbowl occasionally when I refer to "Nefurry" playing second. It's good to live in Des Moines these days as a Sox fan

Dolanski
01-19-2006, 07:05 PM
These are the only guys I have seen or heard of playing in the majors. Chris Young is really a yet to be determined, but most of the rest of them haven't exactly lit the board up. Funny, too, how they don't even mention Royce Ring.

2. Jeremy Reed, of (June 2004 to Seattle for Freddy Garcia) **Actually, could be something decent, but needs time. **
4. Josh Fogg, of (December 2001 to Pittsburgh for Todd Ritchie) **BUST, just like Todd**
5. Mike Morse, ss (Garcia) **ROIDS**
7. Matt Guerrier, rhp (March 2002 to Pittsburgh for Damaso Marte) **Isn't he on the Mets now? Servicable, but Marte has been better**
8. Gary Majewski, rhp (July 2004 to Montreal for Carl Everett) **Borderline MLBer**

FoulTerritory
01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
These are the only guys I have seen or heard of playing in the majors. Chris Young is really a yet to be determined, but most of the rest of them haven't exactly lit the board up. Funny, too, how they don't even mention Royce Ring.

Yeah, what happened to Royce anyway? I totally forgot about him. Did he get hurt? Is he still a top prospect?

A. Cavatica
01-19-2006, 08:32 PM
These are the only guys I have seen or heard of playing in the majors.

Rupe and Francisco have made their debuts as well. IIRC, Rupe pitched well in a cup of coffee this year. Francisco pitched quite well in an extended stay with Texas, then got into trouble throwing a chair into the stands or something.

rdivaldi
01-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah, what happened to Royce anyway? I totally forgot about him. Did he get hurt? Is he still a top prospect?

Anyone who actually watched him pitch would have realized that he wasn't a top prospect. But all the stat heads looked at his numbers in the minor leagues and trumpeted his name from the mountaintops.

1000ml
01-19-2006, 09:32 PM
4. Josh Fogg, of (December 2001 to Pittsburgh for Todd Ritchie)

I'm still baffled how Fogg was able to pitch 13.1 innings with 17 strikeouts FROM THE OUTFIELD!!! :o:

Does anyone know when a player ceases to be a prospect? Is there a minimum number of games in the bigs?

California Sox
01-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Of course 3 of the top 6 were traded this offseason and therefore have nothing to do with the 2005 season nor have they played in the majors. Plus, I wouldn't be too fast to write off Reed yet. He was a decent player his first year in a bad hitter's park. I think he'll actually be a pretty good player. Mark Kotsay-ish. The vast majority of major leaguers struggle as they acclimate to the jump in levels (see Garland, Jon and Crede, Joe). Look at how much we're tempering epectations of Anderson. One year does not a career make.

That said, I'm more of a young player fan than most here. For instance, I would much rather have McCarthy in the rotation, Young in the minors, and Vazquez somewhere else. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Flight #24
01-19-2006, 11:16 PM
That said, I'm more of a young player fan than most here. For instance, I would much rather have McCarthy in the rotation, Young in the minors, and Vazquez somewhere else. I hope I'm wrong about that.

The problem with your scenario isn't '06, it's '07 & '08, when KW would have had 3 & 1 starters in place. By making the Vazquez trade, he's got 5 & 3. That's what you got for Chris Young. That and whoever Contreras ends up getting traded for.

And you probably saved a bit of $$$ on Garland by making the trade too and putting some pressure on him to sign before Jose or be the odd man out. Hard to quantify exactly how much, but it's almost certainly something.

elrod
01-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Majewski was actually a solid bullpen guy for the Nats this year.

StockdaleForVeep
01-20-2006, 04:04 AM

2. Jeremy Reed, of (June 2004 to Seattle for Freddy Garcia) **Actually, could be something decent, but needs time. **
4. Josh Fogg, of (December 2001 to Pittsburgh for Todd Ritchie) **BUST, just like Todd**
5. Mike Morse, ss (Garcia) **ROIDS**
7. Matt Guerrier, rhp (March 2002 to Pittsburgh for Damaso Marte) **Isn't he on the Mets now? Servicable, but Marte has been better**
8. Gary Majewski, rhp (July 2004 to Montreal for Carl Everett) **Borderline MLBer**

When washington got hot, Majewski was a great hold\set up relief pitcher