PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Spring Training??

MasQbellesa
01-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Southwest just announced their Feature Destination...Tucson. If you're planning to go, hope this helps.

Get air fare specials for $34 to $114 one-way with 21-day advance purchase!
Available only on southwest.com.
21-day advance purchase required.
Purchase through January 19, 2006, midnight Pacific Time.
Travel February 7 through June 9, 2006.

(Mods, if this needs to be moved/deleted, please do so)

whitesoxwilkes
01-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Southwest just announced their Feature Destination...Tucson. If you're planning to go, hope this helps.

Available only on southwest.com.
21-day advance purchase required.
Purchase through January 19, 2006, midnight Pacific Time.
Travel February 7 through June 9, 2006.

(Mods, if this needs to be moved/deleted, please do so)

No need to move it..or delete it. Hell, I'm gonna stick it!

OzzieBall2004
01-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Southwest just announced their Feature

You can get round trip for under $200 on Orbitz

Bobbo35
01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
You can get round trip for under $200 on Orbitz

How? The cheapest I saw was 359

Kuzman
01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I jumped on this early. Both my girlfriend and I booked through southwest, Roundtrip for 158! Love it!

officerron
01-18-2006, 02:12 PM
me and 2 buddies are goin feb.28 to mar. 7, roundtrip cost $200 each on southwest

lloyder
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
$200 roundtrip on Southwest?

Yes.

DeuceUnit
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
$200?? I gotta get in on that deal...

Chicken Dinner
01-19-2006, 10:34 AM
http://www.airdisaster.com/news/1205/16/1.jpg

200 bucks??

IlliniSox
01-19-2006, 10:51 AM
How? The cheapest I saw was 359

Southwest doesn't publish its airfaires on orbitz or any of the online systems. You have to go to southwest.com. The only airlines with direct service to Tucson are AA from O'Hare and Southwest from Midway.

MasQbellesa
01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
To: Chicago, IL (MDW)
Travel valid from: Jan 30, 2006 Travel valid until: Jun 09, 2006
Purchase by: May 19, 2006 Adv. purchase: 21 days
Min/Max Stay: Min 3 days
$178
Round-trip
Taxes & Fees Excl. Book with: American Airlines
Offer Updated: 2 days ago

__________________________________________________ _
To: Chicago, IL (ORD)
Travel valid from: Mar 01, 2006 Travel valid until: May 23, 2006
offers connecting service
Airline: US Airways
$173
Round-trip
Taxes & Fees Excl.
Book with: Travelocity

No, I don't work for a travel agency. I just like to travel and get lots of offers.
Mas...

chisox77
01-19-2006, 08:56 PM
I won't be able to join any of you for ST, but I'll be there in spirit, and watch some of the games on TV (they should be broadcasting a few of them, even with hockey back, right?)

Enjoy the weather, and the Defending World Champion Chicago White Sox.

:cool:

havelj
01-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Can anyone confirm that the White Sox official hotel for ST is is the Four Points by Sheraton Tucson University Plaza just off the U of A campus? Accorind to Fodor's it is.

"A favorite of visiting faculty, prospective students, and parents, and the spring training home of the Chicago White Sox."

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=tucson@159&cur_section=lod&property_id=101633

hansgruber
01-19-2006, 11:48 PM
i was just on southwest.com earlier today looking for tix to nyc and noticed this too. Hopefully gonna put some of that tax refund to good use :D

C-Dawg
01-29-2006, 09:52 PM
I got a great fare round trip to Phoenix on Southwest. Maybe someday I'll try their service to Tucson. :smile:

Realist
02-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Here's an email from a friend mine that lives is Tuscon. She scored season Sox tickets to Spring Training, but she can't use all of the tickets due to school constraints. I told her I'd buy 'em all off her and sell them for face value to anybody that might need a pair.

Here's what I got. PM me if you'd like a pair.

My seats are in section 110, row 11, seats 3 & 4 at Tucson Electric Park.

They are behind the Sox dug out and closer to home than 3rd. They are $15 each (Ihave 2) plus $4 for a VIP parking pass for each game.

WED 03/01 COLORADO 1:05pm

THU 03/02 ARIZONA 1:05pm

SAT 03/04 ARIZONA 1:05pm

TUE 03/07 OAKLAND 1:05pm

THU 03/09 SEATTLE 1:05pm

FRI 03/10 SAN FRANCISCO 1:05pm

TUE 03/14 ARIZONA 1:05pm ** these tix are sec 109 row 9 seats 17 & 18 and don'tcome w/a parking pass

SUN 03/26 KANSAS CITY 1:05pm

WED 03/29 MILWAUKEE 1:05pm

THU 03/30 COLORADO 12:05pm

You gonna be there and need tickets? PM me for this poop. As for me, I've scooped up the tix for March 3/17 through 3/27.

StepsInSC
02-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Looks like I found this thread too late, as I'm just starting to entertain the idea of going to ST. Anyone have any other suggestions for where to try and get cheap (cheapest possible) airfare tickets?

CHIsoxNation
02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Looks like I found this thread too late, as I'm just starting to entertain the idea of going to ST. Anyone have any other suggestions for where to try and get cheap (cheapest possible) airfare tickets?

As, as most did, got mine from Southwest about 3 weeks ago. There are three of us going and we all were able to get tickets for $190 round trip direct flights. We are leaving on Tuesday the 21st and returning Tuesday the 28th. We found that the cheapest days to travel are Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday...Tuesday being the cheapest.

MarySwiss
02-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I'd really like to write a feature (or two) for WSI on Spring Training, but right now, I'm stuck for an original idea. (I don't want to do the usual "Hey, Sox fan, how do you think the guys'll do in '06?" type of thing.)

If anyone has an idea that you think would interest the poor WSI'ers that are stuck in Chicago, please PM me. If I use your idea, of course you'll get credit. I also think it would be nice to have this be a group effort, and although I live in the Valley, I have no problem with making the trek down to Tucson as needed. One of the benefits of being my own boss. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I'd really like to write a feature (or two) for WSI on Spring Training, but right now, I'm stuck for an original idea. (I don't want to do the usual "Hey, Sox fan, how do you think the guys'll do in '06?" type of thing.)

If anyone has an idea that you think would interest the poor WSI'ers that are stuck in Chicago, please PM me. If I use your idea, of course you'll get credit. I also think it would be nice to have this be a group effort, and although I live in the Valley, I have no problem with making the trek down to Tucson as needed. One of the benefits of being my own boss. :smile:You might need to get some help from some of the guys who follow the minor leagues a little more, but how about spotlighting a few of the prospects who are on the verge. What to watch for, what they need to work on, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

MarySwiss
02-09-2006, 05:56 PM
You might need to get some help from some of the guys who follow the minor leagues a little more, but how about spotlighting a few of the prospects who are on the verge. What to watch for, what they need to work on, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks!

RadioheadRocks
02-10-2006, 03:59 AM
I'll be at the Sox vs. the A's on March 7... just ordered my tickets online tonight!

Guillen13
02-10-2006, 04:58 PM
If everything goes as planned, I'll be at the March 24-26 games!

MarySwiss
02-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Mods: Is there a way to post an interactive calendar of Spring Training games that WSI'ers can use--if they want to, of course--to let others know which games they're going to, where their seats are, and any information about gatherings before or after?

kravdog
02-10-2006, 05:40 PM
My seats are in section 110, row 11, seats 3 & 4 at Tucson Electric Park.

They are behind the Sox dug out and closer to home than 3rd. They are $15 each (Ihave 2) plus $4 for a VIP parking pass for each game.

If I remember correctly, isnt the sox dugout on the first base line at TEP? I have only been to the WS/Cubs game last year, but am I correct?

MarySwiss
02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
If I remember correctly, isnt the sox dugout on the first base line at TEP? I have only been to the WS/Cubs game last year, but am I correct?

Yup.

chidavid18
02-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Sunday March 5 VS Diamondbacks 4 tickets plus VIP Parking Pass Section 110 row 12 seats 5 to 8
Tue March 7 VS Ahletics 4 Tickets Plus VIP Parking pass
Thur March 9 VS Marinners 4 Tickets Plus VIP Parking Pass
Fri March 10 vs Giants 4 tickets Plus VIP Paking Pass
Sunday March 12 2006 vs Angles Plus VIP Parking Pass
Tue March 21 Vs Padres Plus VIP Parking Pass
Wed March 22 VS Rockies Plus VIP Parking Pass
all above are section 110 row 8 seats 1 to 4

Will sell all seats For Face of 15.00 each + 4.00 for paking pass. All other games taken. Thanks. These are right near white sox dugout.

My e-mail is chidavid18@comcast.net. Bye

Soxfanspcu11
02-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Myself and 2 of my friends are SERIOUSLY considering heading out to Tucson on our college spring break. Our spring break is the week of March 15th and this fits perfectly with the Sox schedule.

I was lucky enough last year to be in Fort Meyers, Florida for the Red Sox spring training last year, 2005 (I didn't go there for that, my girlfriends grandparents live there, we went down to visit them and I was able to attend one game and it was awesome!) It was a complete coincidence but I had such a good time at the ballpark that I can't even imagine how much fun I would have spending an ENTIRE week at Sox camp!

But since I have never been out to Arizona for the Sox, my question/inquiry is, what is there to do in Tucson??

I know the obvious answer to that question is simply SOX SPRING TRAINING, and that's good enough for me, but one of the guys that I am going with (assuming that we go) isn't that big of a sports fan and he was asking me what else there is to do out there at this time of the year.

I'm 22, and the two guys that I would be going with are 24 and 22, so I was wondering what would be "cool" or "of interest" to guys our age??

I know that that is sort of an open ended question, but if someone could PLEASE give me a bit of information, ANY information that they know about the area and what might apply to guys my age, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks in advance!!!:smile:

kravdog
02-11-2006, 02:33 PM
university of arizon is in tucson....i would assume it wouldnt be too hard to have a good time. some great golf in the area too...

Save McCuddy's
02-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Take time out to enjoy some of the finest Mexican food in the world at Mi Nidito while you're there. I also highly recommend a Tucson favorite which is the Senoran Hot Dog. This is a frank wrapped in charred bacon that rests in a bun with chili, cheese, mayo, salsa verde and I belive salsa roja. BK's in South Tucson is the heavyweight champ, but I also discovered a trailer selling them in the parking lot of Food City in the center of town. Absolute must have.

michned
02-11-2006, 10:45 PM
BK's in South Tucson is the heavyweight champ...
You must be a Tucson regular to mention BK's! :D:

Also right down the street from BK's is El Guero Canelo. There is always a line to eat at that place.

Personally, if I moved away from here and I came back to visit, the first place I would head to is Pat's Chili Dogs at Grande and Niagara.

MrRoboto83
02-12-2006, 03:02 AM
I got my spring training trip booked. I will be in Tucson on March 3-6, staying at the LaQuinta Inn by the airport. I will be attending games march 4-5 at Tucson Electric Park against the Diamondbacks and on Monday 6th for the Colorado game, never been to their park. Anyone else going to be around? I will be there with my 3 cousins.

MasQbellesa
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got 2 tickets to see USA vs. South Africa (final game). Game time is 1:00 in Scottsdale. I'm not gonna make it to Arizona that weekend afterall, and if someone wants to buy my tickets, let me know. I'm even willing to go below cost...just so they won't go to waste.

If you'll be in Arizona on that weekend and would like to go, send me a PM.

Save McCuddy's
02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
You must be a Tucson regular to mention BK's! :D:

Also right down the street from BK's is El Guero Canelo. There is always a line to eat at that place.

Personally, if I moved away from here and I came back to visit, the first place I would head to is Pat's Chili Dogs at Grande and Niagara.

Not a local -- but I got the insider's tour from my brother-in-law. We also had outstanding potato tacos at a plac near U of A on 4th or 6th. I can't remember the name -- but a great spot.

I loved the city and hope that Sox fans that visit ST this year get south of the ball park up to the foothills and see how cool of a town Tucson is.

I hope they do this after watching BA run rockets down in center and tear the cover off the ball.

C-Dawg
02-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I will be attending games march 4-5 at Tucson Electric Park against the Diamondbacks and on Monday 6th for the Colorado game, never been to their park.

Just curious how you got tickets to the Colorado game; by phone or by internet? Maybe its just me but the Rockies site completely crashes my computer every time without me getting any tickets. I've already got my tickets for my other games (Mar. 5, 7, 8).

MasQbellesa
02-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Just curious how you got tickets to the Colorado game; by phone or by internet? Maybe its just me but the Rockies site completely crashes my computer every time without me getting any tickets. I've already got my tickets for my other games (Mar. 5, 7, 8).

Well, if you buy tickets to a Colorado game, make sure you get to their stadium early. They have limited parking and if you can't park, you have to park at a shopping center about 2 miles away and they bring you in on a trolly. So...be early.

popilius
02-19-2006, 11:17 PM
I got my spring training trip booked. I will be in Tucson on March 3-6, staying at the LaQuinta Inn by the airport. I will be attending games march 4-5 at Tucson Electric Park against the Diamondbacks and on Monday 6th for the Colorado game, never been to their park. Anyone else going to be around? I will be there with my 3 cousins.

Yes, I'll be there for the three Sox-Diamondbacks games from 3/3-3/5 and the Arizona vs. Mexico game.

Can anyone tell me how far off a drive it is from Tucson Electric Park to Colorado's park?

:gulp:

michned
02-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Can anyone tell me how far off a drive it is from Tucson Electric Park to Colorado's park?

It's only about a 15 minute drive bewteen the two parks.

popilius
02-20-2006, 12:49 AM
It's only about a 15 minute drive bewteen the two parks.

Thanks! Not sure if I can make it to that Colorado game before my flight, though.

:gulp:

MrRoboto83
02-20-2006, 02:25 AM

I went through Colorado's website, it was easy I had no problems.

lockportsox
02-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I'll be at the park March 2, 3, and 4 with my daughter (her login name here is LoganSquareSox), who some of you may remember from Core of the Core last fall--she was the redhead with the great, big, loud voice!

March 2: Section 109, Row 13, seats 1&2
March 3: Section 108, Row 15, seats 7&8
March 4: Section 110, Row 14, seats 1&2

Come say hi if you're gonna be there!

BTW, we just made our arrangements today--and got airfare for under $250 round-trip. It can still be done cheaply! :smile:

MarySwiss
02-22-2006, 05:52 PM
So anyway, here's my plan for the final weekend before ST officially kicks off. I'm driving down to Tucson on Saturday to hang around and take in the workouts. I'll be bringing my "Dedicated To..." book and my Konerko road jersey with me, looking for autographs. I'll also be wearing my WSI "Totally Biased Sox Fan" golf shirt, so if you see me, please say hi!

My question: the folks in the Sox office at Kino tell me that the workout sessions usually start between 8:30 and 9:30 and run through about 11:30 or 12. Any of you guys who are down there; is this accurate?

michned
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
My question: the folks in the Sox office at Kino tell me that the workout sessions usually start between 8:30 and 9:30 and run through about 11:30 or 12. Any of you guys who are down there; is this accurate?
Affirmative, Mary. I drove by today around 11 and they were still practicing. Those times were also reported in the Tucson Citizen yesteday. Looked like quite a few fans were watching.

Hope to also get down there Saturday with one of my boys (who is on a quest to get AJ to autograph his jersey). If I do, I'll stop and say hello!

MarySwiss
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Affirmative, Mary. I drove by today around 11 and they were still practicing. Those times were also reported in the Tucson Citizen yesteday. Looked like quite a few fans were watching.

Hope to also get down there Saturday with one of my boys (who is on a quest to get AJ to autograph his jersey). If I do, I'll stop and say hello!

Thanks! Hope to see you.

maurice
02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm outta here. We're headed to Vegas and then to the first 3 games at TEP.

I'll talk at y'all in a week.

ChiSox Fan 68
02-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll be at the park March 2, 3, and 4 with my daughter (her login name here is LoganSquareSox), who some of you may remember from Core of the Core last fall--she was the redhead with the great, big, loud voice!

March 2: Section 109, Row 13, seats 1&2
March 3: Section 108, Row 15, seats 7&8
March 4: Section 110, Row 14, seats 1&2

Come say hi if you're gonna be there!

BTW, we just made our arrangements today--and got airfare for under $250 round-trip. It can still be done cheaply! :smile:

Lockportsox and LoganSquareSox, we'll be there March 2nd - March 5th. We'll be at the split squad game at Hi Corbett on Thursday but will be at TEP Friday: Section 107, Row 5, Seats 9-12. Then again at TEP Saturday: Section 107, Row 4, Seats 7&8. Hope to see you there!

MrRoboto83
02-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I will be at the games on March 4-5 sitting in the lawn, and will be at the game on Monday March 6 against Colorado. Anyone else sitting in the lawn? Come by and say hi!!

C-Dawg
02-28-2006, 06:36 AM
I've got:

Monday Mar. 6 @ Rockies
Tues. Mar. 7 @ TEP
Weds. Mar. 8 @ Angels
Thur. Mar. 9 @ TEP

Might not make both the TEP games; it is sort of a business trip after all. :cool:

michned
02-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Just an FYI, I have some front row tickets available for the weekday games (at face value) in a Parking Lot thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67025

Ed

C-Dawg
03-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Roughly what part of town is Hi Corbett Field located in? I don't need the exact address because I don't plan to mapquest it, I was just going to find it the old-fashioned way.

I've been to TEP but don't remember seeing Hi Corbett at all.

Thanks in advance!

michned
03-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Roughly what part of town is Hi Corbett Field located in? I don't need the exact address because I don't plan to mapquest it, I was just going to find it the old-fashioned way.

I've been to TEP but don't remember seeing Hi Corbett at all.

Thanks in advance!

It's in midtown, about three miles north and two miles east of Tucson Electric Park.

fusillirob1983
03-03-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm spending my Spring Break with 1 other Sox fan, 2 Cubs fans, and a Yankees fan. I'll be getting into Phoenix on Sunday, March 19th around 1 a.m, seeing the A's vs. Cubs game in Phoenix, then seeing the Sox vs. Royals game on the 20th in Surprise. Anyone know anything fun to do in the Phoenix area if you're 21 or 22?

KRS1
03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm spending my Spring Break with 1 other Sox fan, 2 Cubs fans, and a Yankees fan. I'll be getting into Phoenix on Sunday, March 19th around 1 a.m, seeing the A's vs. Cubs game in Phoenix, then seeing the Sox vs. Royals game on the 20th in Surprise. Anyone know anything fun to do in the Phoenix area if you're 21 or 22?

Go to Tempe around ASU campus and crash a couple parties. Hit up some APT. complexes, The Village on U(not so hot anymore) and the other up that stretch of University, San Marbea(sp?), Archstone just North of the 202, and some bars up on Mill are all prime places.

fusillirob1983
03-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Go to Tempe around ASU campus and crash a couple parties. Hit up some APT. complexes, The Village on U(not so hot anymore) and the other up that stretch of University, San Marbea(sp?), Archstone just North of the 202, and some bars up on Mill are all prime places.

Thanks

D. TODD
03-03-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm going to Phoenix tonight. Last minute thing , I have a friend who recently moved there. So I will be at the game Saturday for sure, and maybe Sunday. What would be a good bar to watch the Carolina/Duke game at Saturday night in the Tuscon area. There is no way I'm missing the game and the trip back to Phoenix would cut it to close to tip-off.

hdog1017
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I'll be at spring training. I have to travel out there for work in a couple of weeks and I'll have some free time. I was out there last year for the very last day of spring training and I ended seeing the last 5 or so innings at the Angels spring training stadium in Tempe. I told Vlad Guererro that my buddy took him with the #1 pick in a fantasy draft and he looked at me like I was crazy.

ode to veeck
03-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Looks like Wendy and I will be down PHX way for family (both of us) and biz (me) for a few days around next weekend ... we'll have to check the schedule

WestSider
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
We will have a group of us Sox fans from Chicago and Iowa at the following games:

- Fri, Mar 17, Rangers @ White Sox. Tucson
- Sat, Mar 18, Cubs @ White Sox. Tucson
- Sun morning, driving Tucson to Maryvale
- Sun, Mar 19, White Sox @ Brewers, Maryvale
- Mon, Mar 20, White Sox @ Royals, Surprise
- Tue, Mar 21, Angels @ Rangers, Peoria(??)

We will be tailgating at all games in the "RV area" and we are in a "Tioga" RV - Easy to find.

We will be there all days before 11:00am. Please feel free to stop by and say hello. Anyone is welcome! We have a grill too, so if you want to grill something, bring it over. (Uh, we have a bathroom too!!!)

We are usually there after the games as well.

If you want our cell phone number, just drop me a PM.

Hope to see everyone in the next week!

ode to veeck
03-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Saturday March 18 Scrubs at Sox, Sec 116, Row 16, Seats 5,6,7

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Saturday March 18 Scrubs at Sox, Sec 116, Row 16, Seats 5,6,7

Sounds familiar: Section 113, Row 14, Seats 9 & 10.

Lillian
03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Can anyone confirm that the White Sox official hotel for ST is is the Four Points by Sheraton Tucson University Plaza just off the U of A campus? Accorind to Fodor's it is.

"A favorite of visiting faculty, prospective students, and parents, and the spring training home of the Chicago White Sox."

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=tucson@159&cur_section=lod&property_id=101633

I understand that The Four Points is not the Sox Hotel, but I'd also like to know where they stay. Noone has responded to this question. Does anyone know?

maurice
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Ozzie and some others are / were staying at the JW Marriott Resort at Starr Pass. Bring lots of $$$. :cool:

Lots of folks in the Sox organization have homes in AZ.