PDA

View Full Version : The value of Herm Schneider

soxinem1
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
All this talk about Crede's back had me thinking about, in all honesty, how fortunate the White Sox have been, other than 2001, regarding injuries. Every team will have them, that's a given. But I think the White Sox, especially with their pitchers, have been very fortunate throughout the years that Schneider has been around.

It's also ironic what happened to many pitchers over the years once they left the Sox, and the results are pretty supportive. Pitchers like Baumgarten, Hoyt, Bannister, McDowell, Perez, Alvarez, Fernandez, and many other left healthy, then came up lame within a couple years.

This doesn't even include the injury-hit guys they picked up and made productive, like Ellis Burks, Carl Everett, and Darren Jackson, to name a few.

It appears to me that Herm and the crew get the most out of these guys, then go to another organization and do different routines and techniques, and are never quite the same.

I think they should, if they haven't already, sign Herm to a lifetime contract.

Herm Schneider
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
hell yea ....i agree with ya buddy

herm holds the team together in more than one way

he also has a hot daughter :redface:!!!

ondafarm
01-17-2006, 06:23 PM
My sister, who is a rehabiliation doctor in Chicago, has met Dr Herm on several occasions and she says he is as good a sports trainer as anyone she has ever met. Virtually ruthless with lollygaggers he is also very compassionate to real suffering, yet pushes every athlete to the utmost. I really think he is a huge advantage for the White Sox, several players who were thought to be injury prone performed solidly last season and in previous years. Dye comes immediately to mind.

miker
01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
The fans of the "non-World-Champion-team" in Chicago make fun of Sox fans because we would mention how we have the best organist, the best groundskeeper and the best trainer.

Fortunately, it is all true - Herm is one the best at what he does and I'm glad he's on our side!

TheKittle
01-18-2006, 06:51 PM
It's also ironic what happened to many pitchers over the years once they left the Sox, and the results are pretty supportive. Pitchers like Baumgarten, Hoyt, Bannister, McDowell, Perez, Alvarez, Fernandez, and many other left healthy, then came up lame within a couple years.

This doesn't even include the injury-hit guys they picked up and made productive, like Ellis Burks, Carl Everett, and Darren Jackson, to name a few.

It appears to me that Herm and the crew get the most out of these guys, then go to another organization and do different routines and techniques, and are never quite the same.

I think they should, if they haven't already, sign Herm to a lifetime contract.

The best thing Herm ever did was save Greg Walkers life. What a scary moment in 87 or 88 when Walker suffered that seizure.

You make a good point about some players being hurt after leaving the White Sox but Hoyt shouldn't be included. He screwed up his life and career with drugs. After Hoyt was traded he worked out for the first time in his career, lost about 50 lbs and pitched great for the Padres. The next season he got busted for drugs and was never heard from again. So it wasn't an injury that ruined Hoyt.

soxinem1
01-18-2006, 08:24 PM
The best thing Herm ever did was save Greg Walkers life. What a scary moment in 87 or 88 when Walker suffered that seizure.

You make a good point about some players being hurt after leaving the White Sox but Hoyt shouldn't be included. He screwed up his life and career with drugs. After Hoyt was traded he worked out for the first time in his career, lost about 50 lbs and pitched great for the Padres. The next season he got busted for drugs and was never heard from again. So it wasn't an injury that ruined Hoyt.

The drug thing is all too true, but he came up lame in mid August 86 and couldn't throw his curve for strikes. The next year the Sox signed him to a minor league deal and he couldn't get the ball TO the plate, rather than over. They told him he needed rotator cuff surgery, but I don't think he ever did it or did the rehab to pitch again.

I remembe the Walker incident all to well. Back then I used to be able to get in early and remember it clearly as if it happened yesterday. In fact, I remember asking Fisk who it was because it was tough to tell from the 3B line in LF.

I also remember some quack saying Herm did the wrong thing, and Walk calling the doctor up and telling him to %^$# off, that he owed him his life.

Definitely one of the scariest moments I ever witnessed in my life, I couldn't even concentrate during the game.

soxinem1
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
The fans of the "non-World-Champion-team" in Chicago make fun of Sox fans because we would mention how we have the best organist, the best groundskeeper and the best trainer.

Are you kidding, those idiots can't even name their trainer, groundskeeper, or organist. They are the only fans that root for the bat boys to get a hit, because they think they are players!

KRS1
01-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Not to mention the comic relief and fun for the fans the guy provides whenever he hustles from the dugout the second someone appears to be injured. Got to love the waddle race with Ozzie to the dugout this summer, pure entertainment. In all seriousness, the guy is the closest thing I have to a false idol, and hope he can stick around another 20 years.

getonbckthr
01-19-2006, 01:13 AM

Fortunately, it is all true - Herm is one the best at what he does and I'm glad he's on our side!
Imagine if they did have herm. All those injuries probably wouldn't be there.

KRS1
01-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Imagine if they did have herm. All those injuries probably wouldn't be there.

I dont think Herm could change Wood's terrible throwing across his body motion, or Prior's **** luck with flukey injuries.

soxinem1
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Herm learned his craft from Gene Monahan w/NYY, who has not only survived Steinbrenner's wrath, but I believe is the only trainer that has more tenure with his team than Herm.