PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Dan Ryan Expressway Construction

Frank the Tank
01-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Starting in March, All Express lanes in both directions betweeen 31st and 74th will be closed. This will be a real nightmare for fans coming from NW Indiana and S. Side burbs. Although there will definetly be an attendance increase for the Sox, this will hurt.

Sox35th
01-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Starting in March, All Express lanes in both directions betweeen 31st and 74th will be closed. This will be a real nightmare for fans coming from NW Indiana and S. Side burbs. Although there will definetly be an attendance increase for the Sox, this will hurt.

I am sure glade that I can ride the Red Line door to door!! But I do feel for everyone that has to drive in that mess!!

Rocky Soprano
01-17-2006, 04:47 PM
:angry: :whiner: :angry:

This just sucks.

rdwj
01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Wow - now that's bad timing

Dub25
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Dude, what is your source. I can't image only the 2-3 lane locals being open.

dcb56
01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Dude, what is your source. I can't image only the 2-3 lane locals being open.

Dude, read it and weep:

http://www.danryanexpressway.com/

SouthSide_HitMen
01-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Dude, read it and weep:

This will actually take two years to complete. They will close all local lanes in 2007. Construction will take place from March through the holidays both years.

IDOT should have done this during the Jerry Manuel years.

Dub25
01-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Dude, read it and weep:

sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks!:angry: :angry: :angry:

The Manual years comment should not be in teal.

Taliesinrk
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
The Manual years comment should not be in teal.

took the words right out of my mouth...

buehrle4cy05
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Conspiracy!

soxinem1
01-17-2006, 05:26 PM
I remember the 1988-90 mess on the Ryan, and they moved the starting times of the games to 7:30pm back then.

The Ryan is a %^&*(&$ when there is NO closures. This time, it will be worse.

peeonwrigley
01-17-2006, 05:30 PM
The Ryan is awful and really needs this.

I feel for anyone that takes it into the city on a daily basis, let alone just for Sox games. The Sox should look into a parking or bus transit solution from the south burbs to get fans to the 95th st station of the Red Line.

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Thankfully, I live in the neighborhood...I feel for all of you who have to deal with this. It will effect the southbound and northeast bound traffic as well, as all of the traffic will be moved to the local lanes.

Those coming in on the Stevenson should probably take Ashland in (the Ashland/Archer intersection should finally be done soon--hopefully). Those coming in from the Kennedy should probably get off at either Roosevelt or 18th St. and come south on Halsted.

doublem23
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow - now that's bad timing

When are they supposed to do road construction? The dead of winter?

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
The Ryan is awful and really needs this.

Yes it is! Potholes galore!

Randar68
01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
3 words...

"Park and ride"

doublem23
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes it is! Potholes galore!

Sissy.

:redface:

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
3 words...

"Park and ride"

4 more words...

Move to the neighborhood!

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Sissy.

:redface:

The Soxmobile does not deserve having to have its tires deal with that.

Jerko
01-17-2006, 05:37 PM
4 more words...

I am so glad I live in the neighborhood. I plan on walking to a LOT of games this year because it's going to be a zoo getting in and out of that place. Ah, the price of success, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D:

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I am so glad I live in the neighborhood. I plan on walking to a LOT of games this year because it's going to be a zoo getting in and out of that place. Ah, the price of success, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D:

You could always drive closer and park on the 3400 block of S. Wells like I did virtually every game I went to this past season. But, Shhhhh, let's keep this on the "hush hush!" :cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
01-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Thankfully, I live in the neighborhood...I feel for all of you who have to deal with this. It will effect the southbound and northeast bound traffic as well, as all of the traffic will be moved to the local lanes.

Those coming in on the Stevenson should probably take Ashland in (the Ashland/Archer intersection should finally be done soon--hopefully). Those coming in from the Kennedy should probably get off at either Roosevelt or 18th St. and come south on Halsted.

A smart call for those who have access:

CTA Red Line to ballpark
CTA Green Line to ballpark
CTA Orange Line (transfer to Red at Roosevelt or get off at 35th and bus it to Comiskey Park II).
CTA Blue, Brown, or Purple Lines - transfer to Red or Green Line to ballpark

Metra to Downtown - Then Red Line to ballpark

South Shore to Downtown - Then Red Line to ballpark

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:51 PM
CTA Orange Line (transfer to Red at Roosevelt or get off at 35th and bus it to Comiskey Park II).

You could do that, or get off at Halsted (Orange Liners) and take the Halsted bus down to 35th St, which is only a 1/2 mile walk to Comiskey. You'll pass Grandstand on your way to the ballpark.

doublem23
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
The Soxmobile does not deserve having to have its tires deal with that.

They're not potholes, they're obstacles in a crash course in learning how to drive-Chicago Style.

Sox35th
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
They're not potholes, they're obstacles in a crash course in learning how to drive-Chicago Style.

If you want to see real "Potholes" go to Detroit!!

zach23
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Those coming in on the Stevenson should probably take Ashland in (the Ashland/Archer intersection should finally be done soon--hopefully).

There is a much better path than getting off at Ashland. I grew up in Bridgeport and lived there a long time. There are some nice paths to take to get from the Stevenson to the park.
And on the way I can get an excellent hot dog from Mary Ann.

dcb56
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM

fanatic! ixnay on the alstedhay ortcutshay! :wink: :wink: :wink: No sense in making life easier for those among us who won't do something as basic as look at a map to see if there's a better way to get from point A to point B than what all the lemmings are instructed to do! :D:

Construction is going to suck for everyone regardless where you're coming from becuase you can't **** up one expressway without it affecting all the others. As for the el, I sure hope the CTA has plans to run extra trains before and after games becuase I'm sure everyone and his brother will be riding it to avoid the traffic.

Someone email Brooks, I just thought of a new rule!
Grinder Ball Rule #9094: When headed to US Cellular to watch the World Champions, come early and stay late.

TomBradley72
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
One word makes all the traffic headaches go away: tailgate (and arrive early!) :gulp:

HomeFish
01-17-2006, 06:46 PM
One word makes all the traffic headaches go away: tailgate

On the Dan Ryan? That actually sounds possible now...

WSox8404
01-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Eeekk...can you imagine trying to get to a game on a Friday night coming in from Indiana. You would have to live at around 4 to get there on time. And that might be pushing it. Holy crap that is going to stink. Thank God I live on the other side of the park........:D: .

Parrothead
01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I am sure glade that I can ride the Red Line door to door!! But I do feel for everyone that has to drive in that mess!!

The Ryan has always been a mess. The construction never ends but this time it will be even worse.

jamokes
01-17-2006, 07:50 PM
:gulp: There's no way around the mess on the ryan, time to take the Stevenson from the SW burbs. The Cell is in a lousy location unless you live in the 'hood. Should have invested in property in Bridgeport years ago!!!:gulp:

CPditka
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Wow this is huge and is gonna really suck for me and my family and friends all coming from NW Indiana or the south burbs. But I will tell ya It really needs it. The highway has obviosly outlived its design and needs and upgrade. I studied transportation eng for awhile. All those terrible bottlenecks by design on the Ryan were killer. The road is worse off by going from 7 to 4 lanes, and the 7 lane part always going from 3 or 4 in the express. That bottlneck and reduction of lanes is what causes delay.

It says in the 60's the highway was designed for 150,000 vehicles, and today demand is at about 300,000. The standard 60-65 mph urban freeway design is about 1800 veh/hr/ln, dring rush hour it can jump higher. So for a standard urban 8 lane highway (4 in each direction) one would make capacity of 1800*8 ln*24 hrs = 345,000 veh per day is the capacity. According to this demand is generally less than capacity, meaning no congestion. Of course accidents and increased vehicle demand on some ruch periods effects everything as well.

Basically what Im saying is the flaw of the Ryan was in its original design of this crazy express/local then just normal lane configuration. The bottlenecking of vehicles is what causes congestion, even when the highway hasn't reached theoretical capacity. From 31st to the Skyway (67th st) the highway is in this weird 4 express/3 local lanes, but then it changes during that stretch from 3 express/4 local at some points and vice versa. That along with from the Skyway to I-57 the highway going to a straight 8 ln config (4 in each direction) has way way too many design bottlenecks for an extremely dense urban freeway thats really only about 8 or 9 miles long. That my fellow sox fans is the problem. I would say if the highway was originally designed with straight lane config of at least 8 lanes, with good on/off control (extra lanes for exit/entrance) than it would have and would still be fine . But now IDOT says OOPS and we get screwed!

nug0hs
01-17-2006, 08:35 PM
This sucks for EVERYONE! I seem to be one of the only North Burbs fans on WSI, and taking the El just doesnt cut it. I have to drive to the north end of the purple line at linden and then transfer to the red line at someplace like Howard, and then sit through EVERY bleeping stop all the way down to 35th...takes close to 2 hours sometimes...A pure nightmare...

doublem23
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
This sucks for EVERYONE! I seem to be one of the only North Burbs fans on WSI, and taking the El just doesnt cut it. I have to drive to the north end of the purple line at linden and then transfer to the red line at someplace like Howard, and then sit through EVERY bleeping stop all the way down to 35th...takes close to 2 hours sometimes...A pure nightmare...

Take 294 South to the inbound Kennedy. Get off at Lawrence Ave. Turn right, go to Milwaukee Ave. Turn right again, the Blue Line stop at Jefferson Park will be right there. Find a place to park, take the Blue Line downtown and tranfer to the Red Line at Jackson (it's a new, nice transfer station), and take the Red Line down to the Park.

Alternatively, you could take the Blue Line to Clark/Lake and transfer to the Green Line and take that to Bronzeville and walk the difference. Less people.

Gosox1917
01-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Okay, I live in Elkhart, Indiana during the summer and Valparaiso, Indiana during the school year so I'm not too familiar with alternate routes to the cell besides taking the skyway to the Dan Ryan. Would taking Lake Shore Dr. over toward 35th and to the ballpark be a good option or not? If not, is there anything anyone can suggest?

batmanZoSo
01-17-2006, 09:07 PM

I'll never sit through that crap. I'll just work late and take the train.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I'll never sit through that crap. I'll just work late and take the train.

For weekend games, I will be taking the Red Line north from 87th to the park. My apologies to those stuck in their cars but I will have a little smile on my face as I fly past the stop-and-go traffic at 60 mph.:cool:

MadetoOrta
01-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Although I do feel for the NW Indiana and south suburban Sox fans, I'll find anyway possible to see the World Champion White Sox. C'mon. I sat on I-55 for 2 hours to get to some games last year. I know it sucks but ..... World Champs man!

JohnBasedowYoda
01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
I find it funny that on the front page of a website for a MAJOR highway it basically tells you to "stay the hell off."

ilsox7
01-17-2006, 09:40 PM
For weekend games, I will be taking the Red Line north from 87th to the park. My apologies to those stuck in their cars but I will have a little smile on my face as I fly past the stop-and-go traffic at 60 mph.:cool:

I'll be heading south from Clark/Division for my 20 minute ride. I'd also like to offer to purchase any tickets from those impacted by this. :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
01-17-2006, 10:07 PM

You're not alone, my friend- I live in Des Plaines. Seeing as I go down to the ballpark alone 99.9% of the time (I usually meet friends down there who don't live in the northwest suburbs), I always drive there. This Dan Ryan construction will be a nightmare, but thankfully, I'll only be on it for a short time... that is if I don't opt out and exit at 18th St. and take that to Halsted. Ever since I started hanging out more in Bridgeport this past October, I feel as though I know the area better and am more comfortable in the idea of diverting from my usual route to the ballpark. :cool:

This construction news is another reason why the change in first pitch time on Friday nights from 7:05p to 7:35p is a VERY good thing. My arriving at the ballpark early (at or before the time gates open) continues to be justified. As if Friday traffic isn't bad enough... this extra half hour will give people more time to get to the ballpark, or to sit on the freeway with their car in park.

epgalsoxfan
01-17-2006, 10:07 PM
i believe we will take the back roads to and from the park... unless they plan on opening the 35th street rock island stop sooner

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Okay, I live in Elkhart, Indiana during the summer and Valparaiso, Indiana during the school year so I'm not too familiar with alternate routes to the cell besides taking the skyway to the Dan Ryan. Would taking Lake Shore Dr. over toward 35th and to the ballpark be a good option or not? If not, is there anything anyone can suggest?

I would NOT even consider doing that, as you would be going through the most sketchy areas of the entire city in the process. The deep southeast side is VERY unsafe...Not a good idea, IMHO.

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 10:36 PM
:gulp: There's no way around the mess on the ryan, time to take the Stevenson from the SW burbs. The Cell is in a lousy location unless you live in the 'hood. Should have invested in property in Bridgeport years ago!!!:gulp:

I'd imagine the exit ramp from the Stevenson to the Dan Ryan is gonna be a complete nightmare as a result of this. I'd avoid that if you could.

paciorek1983
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
I would NOT even consider doing that, as you would be going through the most sketchy areas of the entire city in the process. The deep southeast side is VERY unsafe...Not a good idea, IMHO.

OMG I've taken that way so many times and I'm still here to tell about it, gee............:redneck :?:

Blob
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
And you wonder why it takes them so long to finish these things? Because you have people like this working for IDOT. This was in the first paragraph on IDOT's website.

"passenger vehicles will be encouraged to use public transportation" Shouldn't we be taking the public transportations, not our cars?? :tongue:

I-55 here we come!
</IMG>

DSpivack
01-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Take 294 South to the inbound Kennedy. Get off at Lawrence Ave. Turn right, go to Milwaukee Ave. Turn right again, the Blue Line stop at Jefferson Park will be right there. Find a place to park, take the Blue Line downtown and tranfer to the Red Line at Jackson (it's a new, nice transfer station), and take the Red Line down to the Park.

Alternatively, you could take the Blue Line to Clark/Lake and transfer to the Green Line and take that to Bronzeville and walk the difference. Less people.

Or, take the purple line, don't get off at Howard, and you get downtown much quicker. Transfer to the Red Line at State/Lake, and you're only a few stops away. One-way is usually about 50 minutes this way [from Howard], I've done it almost every Sox game I've ever been to.

Huisj
01-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Like the person from Indiana who was asking, what the heck will be the best way to get there for a poor person coming in from Michigan like me?

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 06:35 AM

I've never called them before but it is warranted in this case.

:tealpolice:

What specific areas are you referring to? I've done Skyway to Stony Island to LSD dozens of times, both day and night, weekday and weekend. I too have lived to see another day. This is a major commuting route and to think that it is some type of bombed out area is just plain wrong. I mean, it isn't like wandering around abandoned docks on Lake Calumet.

This will be a very viable route for those traveling from Indiana next season.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Or, take the purple line, don't get off at Howard, and you get downtown much quicker. Transfer to the Red Line at State/Lake, and you're only a few stops away. One-way is usually about 50 minutes this way [from Howard], I've done it almost every Sox game I've ever been to.

Unless it is the weekend: Purple Line is weekday only and only during rush hours. It would work fine for getting to those weekday night games but it will be the slow crawl back north after the game.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-18-2006, 06:49 AM

There are park and ride spaces at the Rosemont & Cumberland Blue Line stops for $1 or $2. The spaces open up as people are coming back from work (night games) and there are plenty of spaces on the weekend.

Also, I agree with itsnotrequired about the alternative LSD route - I've never had a problem taking LSD / South Shore Drive into Indiana. People may also want to take the skyway and if traffic is backed up heading onto the Dan Ryan get off at Stoney Island and drive north, merging onto Lake Park / Drexel until you get to 35th and park at IIT.

I take the Blue Line from Harlem and it takes about 1 hour (transferring downtown at Washington) from Harlem to the ballpark including wait time.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Also, I agree with itsnotrequired about the alternative LSD route - I've never had a problem taking LSD / South Shore Drive into Indiana. People may also want to take the skyway and if traffic is backed up heading onto the Dan Ryan get off at Stoney Island and drive north, merging onto Lake Park / Drexel until you get to 35th and park at IIT.

I have been taking the Skyway/Stony Island/LSD route for the last couple years. The ramp from the Skyway to the inbound Dan Ryan has been under construction for a while now and the backups got really bad at times (it went down to one lane). I sat through it twice and finally said "Nuts to this!" The other route is so much smoother.

Shift
01-18-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree. In fact, I have been using it for years to go to work in the Loop and to Sox games. (from NWI)

kraut83
01-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Like the person from Indiana who was asking, what the heck will be the best way to get there for a poor person coming in from Michigan like me?

We could build a raft of driftwood & a rusted out oldsmobile :redneck

The Skyway to State, head West on 63rd to Halsted.

Hitmen77
01-18-2006, 07:58 AM
I'd imagine the exit ramp from the Stevenson to the Dan Ryan is gonna be a complete nightmare as a result of this. I'd avoid that if you could.

I come in on the Stevenson and NEVER go all the way to the Ryan. I avoid that even without construction. The way to go from SW and W suburbs is to take the Stevenson to Ashland to 35th.

Hangar18
01-18-2006, 08:04 AM
If its true theyre adding a lane (to make it 4 lanes) then this is a WELCOME RELIEF, bring it on. The morons at IDOT shouldve had 4 lanes long ago.
While theyre at it .............. these same people at IDiOT should fix the mess on I-290, where traffic flows along westbound til Austin, when inexplicably
one of the lanes disappears and traffic crawls until the 294 interchange, where magically, a 4th lane reappears! And how about making the entire I-88 4 lanes?

Hitmen77
01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
... And how about making the entire I-88 4 lanes?

From what I heard, they're working on this. Construction starts this year to add a 4th lane to another stretch of 88 and eventually they'll have 4 lanes all the way to 294.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 08:43 AM
From what I heard, they're working on this. Construction starts this year to add a 4th lane to another stretch of 88 and eventually they'll have 4 lanes all the way to 294.

Yep. By 2012, there will be an extra lane in each direction from IL-59 to I-290.

The Northwest Tollway will be going nuts as well. A new lane in each direction from O'Hare out to Merengo-Hampshire by 2011!

thepaulbowski
01-18-2006, 08:46 AM

Having grown up in E-town & the fact I still go back to visit my Mom frequently, I'm pretty much an expert at this. If you are going to the park & the Skyway is not backed up too far on the feeder to the Ryan, I suggest taking State street to 35th. If it is backed up you can take Stoney Island-LSD and work your way over to the park. Or you could get off on St. Lawrence and go West to get to State Street. Basically get off the Skyway and go West to State.

Granted some of these areas aren't the best, but I do this quite frequently and have never had a problem. Just don't stop buy your tailgate supplies in these areas. :cool:

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Having grown up in E-town & the fact I still go back to visit my Mom frequently, I'm pretty much an expert at this. If you are going to the park & the Skyway is not backed up too far on the feeder to the Ryan, I suggest taking State street to 35th. If it is backed up you can take Stoney Island-LSD and work your way over to the park. Or you could get off on St. Lawrence and go West to get to State Street. Basically get off the Skyway and go West to State.

Granted some of these areas aren't the best, but I do this quite frequently and have never had a problem. Just don't stop buy your tailgate supplies in these areas. :cool:

The only problem is that State Street is going to be hosed with the express lanes closed. All that traffic has to go somewhere. MLK probably won't be any good either.

FoulkeFan
01-18-2006, 08:51 AM

Is there somewhere to park near the 87th street stop? I've often thought of doing this but didn't know where to park.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Is there somewhere to park near the 87th street stop? I've often thought of doing this but didn't know where to park.

There are large parking lots for the Toys R Us on the south side of the street and the mall on the north side. They are technically for customers only but no one really monitors that. I walk to that station so I don't know too much about the parking situation.

Taking the Red Line up from the south is going to be very nice next year since the line will have been completely rebuilt. New track and ballast, new power cables and substations, new signaling/relaying and new stations.

Max Power
01-18-2006, 10:49 AM

I'm in the North Burbs too. Neither driving nor taking the el are particularly attractive. Here's what I do: take the el to weeknight games (I can walk to the el, which makes it pretty convenient). You can take the purple line express to Belmont or Fullerton, so the whole trip down is less than an hour. Though the trip home is long, especially after a loss. I still think this beats driving during rush hour though.
For weekend games I usually drive. I take LSD to 31st and then park near IIT. Not the closest spot, but I've never had any problems and it beats getting caught up in the traffic near the Park.

skobabe8
01-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Wow this is huge and is gonna really suck for me and my family and friends all coming from NW Indiana or the south burbs. But I will tell ya It really needs it. The highway has obviosly outlived its design and needs and upgrade. I studied transportation eng for awhile. All those terrible bottlenecks by design on the Ryan were killer. The road is worse off by going from 7 to 4 lanes, and the 7 lane part always going from 3 or 4 in the express. That bottlneck and reduction of lanes is what causes delay.

It says in the 60's the highway was designed for 150,000 vehicles, and today demand is at about 300,000. The standard 60-65 mph urban freeway design is about 1800 veh/hr/ln, dring rush hour it can jump higher. So for a standard urban 8 lane highway (4 in each direction) one would make capacity of 1800*8 ln*24 hrs = 345,000 veh per day is the capacity. According to this demand is generally less than capacity, meaning no congestion. Of course accidents and increased vehicle demand on some ruch periods effects everything as well.

Basically what Im saying is the flaw of the Ryan was in its original design of this crazy express/local then just normal lane configuration. The bottlenecking of vehicles is what causes congestion, even when the highway hasn't reached theoretical capacity. From 31st to the Skyway (67th st) the highway is in this weird 4 express/3 local lanes, but then it changes during that stretch from 3 express/4 local at some points and vice versa. That along with from the Skyway to I-57 the highway going to a straight 8 ln config (4 in each direction) has way way too many design bottlenecks for an extremely dense urban freeway thats really only about 8 or 9 miles long. That my fellow sox fans is the problem. I would say if the highway was originally designed with straight lane config of at least 8 lanes, with good on/off control (extra lanes for exit/entrance) than it would have and would still be fine . But now IDOT says OOPS and we get screwed!

Couldnt agree more. I dont think they even make new highways with express/local lanes anymore. This is going to BLOW.

thepaulbowski
01-18-2006, 11:38 AM
The only problem is that State Street is going to be hosed with the express lanes closed. All that traffic has to go somewhere. MLK probably won't be any good either.

But where else can you go? Cut over to Halsted & go up North that way? I'm not sure if you can take Indiana all the way to 35th street or not.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
i believe we will take the back roads to and from the park... unless they plan on opening the 35th street rock island stop sooner

Fellow EP'er here - 91st St. East to Western. North on Western to Western Blvd. Turn right at either 43rd or Pershing, hit Wood on the east side of the tracks and scamper north to the parking lots. Can go door to park in less than 20 minutes.

epgalsoxfan
01-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Fellow EP'er here - 91st St. East to Western. North on Western to Western Blvd. Turn right at either 43rd or Pershing, hit Wood on the east side of the tracks and scamper north to the parking lots. Can go door to park in less than 20 minutes.

yeah thats probably exactly what we will do

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 11:52 AM
But where else can you go? Cut over to Halsted & go up North that way? I'm not sure if you can take Indiana all the way to 35th street or not.

IDOT is recommending people use Ashland and Stony as alternates.

http://www.danryanexpressway.com/Dan%20Ryan%20Alternate%20Routes.pdf

Indiana runs from 63rd to 31st. This would be a decent detour. Technically, Indiana travels much further south but itsn't a main route south of 63rd.

I think we can all agree that regardless of what other routes are recommended, N-S travel on the South Side is going to be a drag for the next couple of years.

epgalsoxfan
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
IDOT is recommending people use Ashland and Stony as alternates.

http://www.danryanexpressway.com/Dan%20Ryan%20Alternate%20Routes.pdf

Indiana runs from 63rd to 31st. This would be a decent detour. Technically, Indiana travels much further south but itsn't a main route south of 63rd.

I think we can all agree that regardless of what other routes are recommended, N-S travel on the South Side is going to be a drag for the next couple of years.

i think its been a drag for a few years..i mean when you drive south on the dan ryan at any point in the day or night there is backup..it took me 30 mins to go from 55th to 95th on the ryan at 1am on a weeknight once...that wasnt much fun

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 12:02 PM
i think its been a drag for a few years..i mean when you drive south on the dan ryan at any point in the day or night there is backup..it took me 30 mins to go from 55th to 95th on the ryan at 1am on a weeknight once...that wasnt much fun

Keep in mind that there have been a lot of night lane closures for the past couple years. This is so prep work can be done for the upcoming "main" work. Sucks big time when you leave the house and think "Hey, its 2 AM! No one will be on the road!"

Taliesinrk
01-18-2006, 12:23 PM

Elkhart is bridgeport area?? I didn't know there were any other northeastern indiana folk on this board.. cool to know..

Huisj
01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
We could build a raft of driftwood & a rusted out oldsmobile :redneck

The Skyway to State, head West on 63rd to Halsted.

If we both paddled, it would probably be quicker than the Dan Ryan.

cubhater
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM

You can only exit LSD at 31st and 39th streets. Get off the Skyway at Stony Island, head north to get on LSD at 63rd Street.

State Street could be another alternate route from the Skyway but I'm sure that exit will be congested since it's close to the Ryan.

EDIT: Look into the South Shore Metra line if you're heading in from Indiana.

jdm2662
01-18-2006, 01:14 PM
What exactly are they going to do to solve the current problem? One thing would be nice is to change that ramp from the Ryan to the Esinhower, but that's not going to change. The Ryan is a death trap, and unless they are going to rip apart the express lanes and make it five/six lane highway, I doubt it's going to make much difference.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2006, 01:27 PM
What exactly are they going to do to solve the current problem? One thing would be nice is to change that ramp from the Ryan to the Esinhower, but that's not going to change. The Ryan is a death trap, and unless they are going to rip apart the express lanes and make it five/six lane highway, I doubt it's going to make much difference.

The main points are:

- Adding a new local lane in each direction from 43rd down to 63rd
- Adding a new lane in each direction from 63rd to 95th
- Adding an inbound Skyway ramp that empties directly into the express lanes
- Closing certain on and/or off ramps to reduce merge zones

The adding of the new lane will probably make the biggest difference. Right now, the local lanes go from three lanes down to two at about 43rd street. Traffic volumes, however, stay about the same. It is a huge bottleneck.

The closing of certain ramps is designed to reduce the number of sideswpie accidents that result when people are trying to enter and exit in the same lane. Most of the remaining merge lanes will be moved off of the main roadway to help further reduce the number of cars involved with merging.

miker
01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
4 more words...

But the neighborhood's dangerous and there are no bars to hang out at...

CPditka
01-18-2006, 11:40 PM
If its true theyre adding a lane (to make it 4 lanes) then this is a WELCOME RELIEF, bring it on. The morons at IDOT shouldve had 4 lanes long ago.
While theyre at it .............. these same people at IDiOT should fix the mess on I-290, where traffic flows along westbound til Austin, when inexplicably
one of the lanes disappears and traffic crawls until the 294 interchange, where magically, a 4th lane reappears! And how about making the entire I-88 4 lanes?

They are, I work for IDOT, internship wise that is.

INSox56
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
BIG hint for all those coming from Indiana.........

You can either do one of the following, or sit in the mess.

If you don't plan on tailgating and live in NW indiana, you can take the South Shore in to Randolph or Van Buren or maybe even Roosevelt. Then hop on the Red Line south, get off on 35th. Easy as pie. You don't have to pay for tolls, skyway, or parking. (randolph is closest to a red line station if I remember right).

If you want to drive, you can do what I'll probably do which is take the Toll Road to Indianapolis Blvd Exit (last exit before you hit the skyway, exit 1 I believe). Take Indianapolis to hwy 41 (south shore dr). Follow the signs for 41/SSD and it'll turn into Lake shore Dr. Take the LSD to the stevenson, then loop back southbound on the dan ryan. Take Dan Ryan south till you hit construction and get off as close to 35th as possible and just take the back roads in. Or you can just take lake shore to 31st all the way over as someone mentioned.

INSox56
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
After learning the secret of taking south shore dr. versus the skyway, I do it every time. You're going slower than the interstate, but you never hit traffic and ride straight along the lake. I can get from near Wrigley where my gf lives to Michigan City in an hour 15. If any of you know this drive on the interstate, that's pretty good time... out of all those options, I'm more than likely going to take south shore drive lake shore drive to 31st and take 31st over to the park.

Sad
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM
After learning the secret of taking south shore dr. versus the skyway, I do it every time. You're going slower than the interstate, but you never hit traffic and ride straight along the lake. I can get from near Wrigley where my gf lives to Michigan City in an hour 15. If any of you know this drive on the interstate, that's pretty good time... out of all those options, I'm more than likely going to take south shore drive lake shore drive to 31st and take 31st over to the park.

hmmmm... I usually take SkyWay to Stony Island to LSD
then 31st to Wallace to 35th & park in that back lot that offered early bird parking...

are there alot more traffic lights taking your route?

I used to ride the South Shore but the train departure times don't always work for me & I can be back home in MI. much sooner by driving (especially since they cancelled that 10PM? Sat/Sun train :mad: )
I also had forgotten how much I enjoyed tailgating :smile:

skobabe8
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM

I'll be doing that around 27 times this summer i suppose. I was considering the south shore, but the schedules for trains wont work i dont think.

INSox56
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
hmmmm... I usually take SkyWay to Stony Island to LSD
then 31st to Wallace to 35th & park in that back lot that offered early bird parking...

are there alot more traffic lights taking your route?

I used to ride the South Shore but the train departure times don't always work for me & I can be back home in MI. much sooner by driving (especially since they cancelled that 10PM? Sat/Sun train :mad: )
I also had forgotten how much I enjoyed tailgating :smile:

There are a few lights...possibly 5 or so. A bunch of stopsigns, but nothing horrific. This way cuts out the skyway in general so you can save the $3 and buy...part...of a beer or something at the park with the money saved.
I agree about the south shore...I love it and almost all the time take it for weekend trips because of parking hassles, but restrictive schedules SUCK.

INSox56
01-19-2006, 02:01 PM
If anyone wants details on the route, PM me and I'll respond to ya asap. There is a tricky part at the beginning, but it's nothing difficult, just some more info that's all.