PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano fires Boras

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 03:15 PM
According to Bruce LeVineLine from ESPN1000, Carlos Zambrano has fired his agent Scott Boras.

He has hired two new guys, no idea what their names are yet.

SOXintheBURGH
01-17-2006, 03:24 PM
First intelligent thing he's done in his life, probably.

tstrike2000
01-17-2006, 03:26 PM

I second that.

dickallen15
01-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Why? He just cost himself millions. If the Cubs don't want to pay him what Boras wants, Texas or Detroit sure would.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Essentially, he gave up a extra million or two for happiness. Boras gets you extra money but doesn't land you where you'll be happiest. His new agents are probably ones that will make sure he gets good money but is also happy.

Tekijawa
01-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I doubt he just fired him. He probably swore at him and pumped his fists at Borras as he stormed out of the room, and then argued with the secretary on the way out of the building.

SOXintheBURGH
01-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I doubt he just fired him. He probably swore at him and pumped his fists at Borras as he stormed out of the room, and then argued with the secretary on the way out of the building.

At what point did he grab his crotch?

Tekijawa
01-17-2006, 03:48 PM

After the 36th time he spit and adjusted his cap

munchman33
01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Maybe he's preparing for his future free agent negotiations with the White Sox.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Essentially, he gave up a extra million or two for happiness. Boras gets you extra money but doesn't land you where you'll be happiest. His new agents are probably ones that will make sure he gets good money but is also happy.Player: NO, PLEASE!!! I want to accept less money where I'll be happier.
Boras: Shaddup and sign.

GMAB

MUsoxfan
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM

http://www.nimmot.net/base/misc/junk/wild-n-crazy-guys.jpg

santo=dorf
01-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Did he jump off his office chair and point to the sky after he fired him?
:rolleyes:
Why? He just cost himself millions. If the Cubs don't want to pay him what Boras wants, Texas or Detroit sure would.
Maybe Borass told him to layoff the Doritos and stop wasting so much time on AIM and trolling White Sox message boards. :cool:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Player: NO, PLEASE!!! I want to accept less money where I'll be happier.
Boras: Shaddup and sign.

GMAB

If Boras was Konerko's agent, do you really believe he'd still be on the team today? If you say yes, you are lying to yourself. He would've either made the Angels and Orioles outbid each other or he would've at least accepted the O's 5 year, $65 mill deal.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 06:01 PM
If Boras was Konerko's agent, do you really believe he'd still be on the team today? If you say yes, you are lying to yourself. He would've either made the Angels and Orioles outbid each other or he would've at least accepted the O's 5 year, $65 mill deal.How, exactly, would he have "made" the Angels and Orioles outbid each other? Does he send big guys with no necks over to their houses? Horses' heads in their beds? Just because there are a few dumb teams who will fall for his schtick doesn't mean they all will.

And Boras could not have accepted the Orioles offer for the simple reason that Boras doesn't make the decision - the player does. The idea that big, bad Boras forces players to do anything they don't want to do is just plain silly. If a player accepts the highest offer it's because that's what he wants.

"Oh, please Mr. Boras. Don't make me sign this big contract."

Sure.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 06:22 PM
How, exactly, would he have "made" the Angels and Orioles outbid each other? Does he send big guys with no necks over to their houses? Horses' heads in their beds? Just because there are a few dumb teams who will fall for his schtick doesn't mean they all will.

And Boras could not have accepted the Orioles offer for the simple reason that Boras doesn't make the decision - the player does. The idea that big, bad Boras forces players to do anything they don't want to do is just plain silly. If a player accepts the highest offer it's because that's what he wants.

Sure.

You're not thinking this through at all. Boras changes the whole process right from the beginning. What is Boras now known for? Those 10-year deals. He would've went around telling everyone that Konerko is 29, young, healthy, in his prime, and the starting bid for him can be no less than 10 years, $150 million. Sounds nuts, but look at the Kevin Millwood contract. And what was Johnny Damon's initial price tag? 10 years, $120 million? This would have turned off the White Sox and had the Orioles interested and maybe even the Angels. Of course both teams would have waited until Boras lowered his expectations but the White Sox would have been out of the picture long before.

Don't get me wrong, I know Boras is only doing his job and if I were a player I'd probably hire him as my agent. But slowly, Boras is starting to turn into Drew Rosenhaus. I'm not saying he's evil or that he tells players where to go and what to do, but his style of business might turn off a lot of teams.

MarySwiss
01-17-2006, 06:25 PM
How, exactly, would he have "made" the Angels and Orioles outbid each other? Does he send big guys with no necks over to their houses? Horses' heads in their beds? Just because there are a few dumb teams who will fall for his schtick doesn't mean they all will.

Sure.

You, sir, are fast becoming my idol!

I've always thought--and still do think--that this Boras-phobia is kinda silly. He's the agent, not the principal. And although players--and singers and actors, etc.--are guided by their agents, it's not like the agent holds a gun to their heads. Okay, Boras is a shark. But the best shark repellent is a savvy GM.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
You're not thinking this through at all. Boras changes the whole process right from the beginning. What is Boras now known for? Those 10-year deals. He would've went around telling everyone that Konerko is 29, young, healthy, in his prime, and the starting bid for him can be no less than 10 years, $150 million. Sounds nuts, but look at the Kevin Millwood contract. And what was Johnny Damon's initial price tag? 10 years, $120 million? This would have turned off the White Sox and had the Orioles interested and maybe even the Angels. Of course both teams would have waited until Boras lowered his expectations but the White Sox would have been out of the picture long before.

Don't get me wrong, I know Boras is only doing his job and if I were a player I'd probably hire him as my agent. But slowly, Boras is starting to turn into Drew Rosenhaus. I'm not saying he's evil or that he tells players where to go and what to do, but his style of business might turn off a lot of teams.Don't you think all the players know who Scott Boras is by now? Players sign with Scott Boras because they want exactly what Scott Boras delivers. But this
Boras gets you extra money but doesn't land you where you'll be happiest.is ridiculous. The agent works for the player - not vice versa.

Yorke97
01-17-2006, 06:37 PM

If he's wise, it won't be the same two guys Magglio hired last season.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 08:03 PM
But this is ridiculous. The agent works for the player - not vice versa.

Why is it ridicilous? Let's take a look at Jim Thome for example. Do you think ending up in Philly made him happIEST? No. It probably did make him happY and that was probably/mainly because of the dough. But had he taken a little less money and stayed in Cleveland, I bet he would've been happIER.

You can argue that Thome made that decision on his own, but there's been a lot of things I've read from people that know the game, that say he went to Philly just for the money and was encouraged to do so by "the union and his agent".

ilsox7
01-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Why is it ridicilous? Let's take a look at Jim Thome for example. Do you think ending up in Philly made him happIEST? No. It probably did make him happY and that was probably/mainly because of the dough. But had he taken a little less money and stayed in Cleveland, I bet he would've been happIER.

You can argue that Thome made that decision on his own, but there's been a lot of things I've read from people that know the game, that say he went to Philly just for the money and was encouraged to do so by "the union and his agent".
One question: who signed the contract? That's the person who, at the end of the day, is responsible for the decision.

1951Campbell
01-17-2006, 10:49 PM

Thome was presented with some options.

His agent and the union weighed in on those options.

Thome made a conscious decision to take their advice.

He's on the hook for that. And every Boras client is on the hook for acquiesing to his nonsense if those clients don't step up and tell Boras to zip it. I don't know why you buy this myth that Boras or any other agent is an evil little dude who whispers in the ears of innocent ballplayers. Ballplayers may not be Nobel Laureate members of the Econ. Dept. at the U of C, but Christ on a pogo stick, they can figure out X years at $Y per in city Z.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
I've always thought--and still do think--that this Boras-phobia is kinda silly. He's the agent, not the principal. And although players--and singers and actors, etc.--are guided by their agents, it's not like the agent holds a gun to their heads. Okay, Boras is a shark. But the best shark repellent is a savvy GM.
While I agree with you and No. 2, I also think dealing with these agents (Boras and Rosenhaus in particular) has a tendency to "poison the well" during contract negotiations. In an effort to create a bidding war for his client, the agent stirs up all kinds of negativity, and the relationship between the player and his existing team is soured in the process (see Ordonez, Magglio).

True, the agent doesn't burn the bridge himself; he just douses it with gasoline and hands the player a lit match.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-18-2006, 12:04 AM

after which he walked around the mound aimlessly and looked to the sky. after which he struck out the batter after surrendering a 2 run bomb. During his walk back to the dugout he pumps his fist and stares down the batter.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Thome was presented with some options.

His agent and the union weighed in on those options.

Thome made a conscious decision to take their advice.

He's on the hook for that. And every Boras client is on the hook for acquiesing to his nonsense if those clients don't step up and tell Boras to zip it. I don't know why you buy this myth that Boras or any other agent is an evil little dude who whispers in the ears of innocent ballplayers. Ballplayers may not be Nobel Laureate members of the Econ. Dept. at the U of C, but Christ on a pogo stick, they can figure out X years at $Y per in city Z.The bottom line is that the agent can't make anyone do anything. He can't make teams offer more money than they're willing to offer. As Jerry Reinsdorf said in his famous opening day interview last year, you can't rely on information provided by the agent - you have to have your own information. While some of the things agents do might be unethical, he can't hurt you if you rely only on your own information. Caveat emptor.

Similarly, the agent can't force a player to sign somewhere he doesn't want to go. If the player would be happier elsewhere, that's where he should sign, and the agent has no power to force him to do otherwise. The agent works for the player, and anything he does is with the approval of the player. To believe otherwise is naive.

miker
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Similarly, the agent can't force a player to sign somewhere he doesn't want to go. If the player would be happier elsewhere, that's where he should sign, and the agent has no power to force him to do otherwise. The agent works for the player, and anything he does is with the approval of the player. To believe otherwise is naive.
Assuming all agents are honest and ethical, correct?

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Assuming all agents are honest and ethical, correct?Makes no difference. An agent can't force a player to sign where he doesn't want to sign. If you think players sign Scott Boras as their agent and are HORRIFIED at his tactics, I have a bridge I want to talk to you about.

Pasqua's UPS Man
01-18-2006, 11:36 PM
He has hired two new guys, no idea what their names are yet.[/QUOTE]

Cheech And Chong:D: