PDA

View Full Version : Crede signs 1 year deal

kidmccarthy
01-17-2006, 12:10 PM
According to the wscr the score, Crede has signed a one year deal worth about 2.675 million. So our roster is pretty muched locked up now.

patbooyah
01-17-2006, 12:11 PM
According to the wscr the score, Crede has signed a one year deal worth about 2.675 million. So our roster is pretty muched locked up now.

if this is true, then hopefully it means they have nothing but faith in josepha's back.

Sox83Kid
01-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Why only 1 year? :?:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Why only 1 year? :?:

just a deal to avoid arbitration.

that's a 2.275 mill raise. well-deserved.

INSox56
01-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Definitely not HORRIBLE news. Good but not great. I wonder why on a TUESDAY.......?

kidmccarthy
01-17-2006, 12:13 PM
its official, per whitesox.com

MsSoxVixen22
01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Only a year huh? I guess they wanna see how his back holds up and what kind of year he's gonna have in '06. Another smart move by KW

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Definitely not HORRIBLE news. Good but not great. I wonder why on a TUESDAY.......?

This isn't big enough to happen on White Sox Wednesday. The acquisition of Mark Prior, however, is big enough! :redneck

chisoxmike
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Only a year huh? I guess they wanna see how his back holds up and what kind of year he's gonna have in '06. Another smart move by KW

Good plan. This was a day early though....

mike squires
01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
If Joe has a big year there is no reason why he can't make 4 to 6 million next year. Joe will be trying to raise his slaary even more by having a big year. That would work out for both of us.

Flight #24
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, January 17, 2006

WHITE SOX AGREE TO TERMS ON ONE-YEAR CONTRACT WITH THIRD BASEMAN JOE CREDE

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a one-year, $2.675-million contract with third baseman Joe Crede, avoiding arbitration.
Crede, 27, batted .252 (109-432) with a career-high 22 home runs and 62 RBI in 129 games with the White Sox in 2005. He ranked third among American League third baseman with a .971 (10 E/348 TC) fielding percentage and fifth in home runs.
The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Crede became the fourth White Sox third baseman to hit 20-plus home runs in back-to-back seasons, joining Robin Ventura (1995-96), Bill Melton (1969-71, ’73-74) and Pete Ward (1963-64).
Crede hit .289 (13-45) with three doubles, four home runs and 11 RBI in 12 postseason games for the World Champion White Sox. His home run and RBI totals rank second in White Sox postseason history, behind only Paul Konerko (5 HR/15 RBI in 2005). Crede also donated his glove used throughout the regular and postseason to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
With Crede’s signing, the White Sox have no remaining arbitration eligible players.

-30-
© 2006 Chicago White Sox 1

HomeFish
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Almost 3 million for CREDE?

What were the Sox fearing he'd get in arbitration? Is injury potential not admissible in arbitration?

The Dude
01-17-2006, 12:24 PM

What were the Sox fearing he'd get in arbitration? Is injury potential not admissible in arbitration?

Yes 3 million for Crede. We are paying Mac close to 3 million to perform backup roles, so I think Crede is right where he should be. Give it a ****ing rest Homefish...and please dont bust out a graph of declining stats for Crede next...for the love of god!:redneck

Flight #24
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM

Check the comparable players. $2-3M is the going rate for a relatively young, excellent defensive, mediocre offensive player. The injury potential is counterbalanced by postseason/late-season success. At best, the Sox were going to save make $.5M by actually going to arbitration, and they apparently decided it wasn't worth the pain of the process.

EDIT: Crede's .756 OPS would have placed him squarely in the middle of MLB 3Bs (for reference, Blalock was at .746, Chavez at .794). Add in excellent D and it's just about where he should be give the years from FA.

Palehose13
01-17-2006, 12:26 PM

:rolleyes:

Anyway...I guess this means the Sox aren't going into arbitration this year. IMO, this is a good thing. I know that arbitration is a "normal" process in MLB, but by avoiding arbitration I think it looks good for the organization and the players. Both sides are willing to work together.

Now Joe, get on that SoxFest list. You have another bunting lesson coming! :cool:

Chicken Dinner
01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
If Scott Boras is taking that money it must be a fair offer.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2006, 12:33 PM

I'm surprised by your response.

Personally, I would have liked to see a multi-year deal but as others have pointed out, this may work well for all parties.

Tekijawa
01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
But Crede runs bad Routes... or something?!?!?!?

chisoxmike
01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
He also gets a coupon for a bunting clinic at the Sox/Bulls academy. Hey, a man can dream can't he?

kittle42
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
If Mark Hendrickson, he of the 5.90 ERA, can get $1.95 mil from Tampa, Crede should argue he's getting robbed!

LuvSox
01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
But Crede runs bad Routes... or something?!?!?!?

Crede was running his mouth before the Carolina game

White Sox Randy
01-17-2006, 01:49 PM
You can tell that the Sox are very concerned about his back because:

a) they traded Marte, not for pitching prospects but for Mackowiak.

b) they signed him only to a 1-year deal and

c) the only incentives in the contract are for "plate appearances".

buehrle4cy05
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
I wonder how much of that money counts in shoota's world.

roylestillman
01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Don't like it. Still means he's trade bait for the rest of the year.

nlentz88
01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, this deal couldn't have been made on White Sox Wednesday since today is the deadline for filing for salary arbitration. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Sox and Crede didn't get a deal done today they would have ended up in arbitration.

The one-year deal does make me wonder, though. I guess the Sox went for it due to health concerns, whereas Crede/Boras went for it so Crede could have the chance to make big bucks as a FA in the 06-07 offseason. Does anyone think this one-year deal signals a greater chance that this could be Joe's last season in a Sox uni?

ewokpelts
01-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Don't like it. Still means he's trade bait for the rest of the year.good...i've stoppe dliking him back in 2003, when he stopped this thing called "hitting for average".
Gene

veeter
01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
This is actually progress. They struck an agreement with Borass. I like Joe.

DaleJRFan
01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
good...i've stoppe dliking him back in 2003, when he stopped this thing called "hitting for average".
Gene

I started liking him when he started this thing called "hitting home runs in the world series." I also started to like him about the same time as when he started doing this little thing called "playing the best defensive third base in all of baseball."

Corlose 15
01-17-2006, 02:39 PM

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/happygilmoreshooter1aa.jpg

"Shoota!"

soxfanatlanta
01-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Don't like it. Still means he's trade bait for the rest of the year.

I don't agree.

If he has a good year, he will demand top $ (see Agent) for the 07 season, meaning you got yourself a rental for this year. Do you really think he is going to have his break out season at the plate?

If he has a bad year/gets hurt, well, nobody is gonna want him.

If he continues along the same path, and a better player becomes available, why not trade him? I do think he's getting a fair deal, and like others mentioned, there should be no bad blood between him and the organization.

Flight #24
01-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't agree.

If he has a good year, he will demand top $ (see Agent) for the 07 season, meaning you got yourself a rental for this year. Do you really think he is going to have his break out season at the plate?

If he continues along the same path, and a better player becomes available, why not trade him? I do think he's getting a fair deal, and like others mentioned, there should be no bad blood between him and the organization.

He's arb eligible for '07. Which also entails a discount off of true FA value (see Garland being estimated at about $7M whereas FA value would be more like $11M). So worst case financial scenario for the Sox is a 1-year, moderately expensive but high performing 3B. And IIRC, he's also arb eligible for '08 which would further reduce his '07 arb award, and unless his back is completely healed, make it even more likely that if offered a solid long-term deal, he'll take it (and it would only be offered if he "broke out" in '06).

Minnie Me
01-17-2006, 03:07 PM
The consistent and popular Texan had lifetime highs of .274 and 22 homers as a rookie in 1963. A career-threatening bout with spinal meningitis disabled him for six weeks in 1964, but he made a remarkable comeback and was an All-Star in 1965. In both 1963 and 1967, he was voted the Indians' Man of the Year
GamesAverageHRRBICareer1013.247111373

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't agree.

If he continues along the same path, and a better player becomes available, why not trade him? I do think he's getting a fair deal, and like others mentioned, there should be no bad blood between him and the organization.He's not a FA until after 2008. Players always get less in arbitration than they would get on the FA market. Until he's a FA, Boras is irrelevant.

The Wall
01-17-2006, 03:14 PM
so is something else up for WSW then?

This is a good deal IMO. Crede deserves the money he got.

soxfanatlanta
01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
He's not a FA until after 2008. Players always get less in arbitration than they would get on the FA market. Until he's a FA, Boras is irrelevant.

Thanks guys, I always learn something new here! :D:

thomas35forever
01-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Almost 3 million sounds reasonable considering all the money we spent on Paulie. We don't wanna spend too much on a player we already have (again).

mdep524
01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
He's not a FA until after 2008. Players always get less in arbitration than they would get on the FA market. Until he's a FA, Boras is irrelevant. Well, Boras isn't irrelevant. To negotiate a contract to avoid the arbitration process, the Sox have to go through Boras. While it's true Boras has much less leverage in a situation like this than in unrestricted free agency, this is still Scott Boras, and he's still a pain in the butt to deal with.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, Boras isn't irrelevant. To negotiate a contract to avoid the arbitration process, the Sox have to go through Boras. While it's true Boras has much less leverage in a situation like this than in unrestricted free agency, this is still Scott Boras, and he's still a pain in the butt to deal with.With no leverage, Boras is a toothless tiger.

VASoxfan1
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
so with crede now officially on the books whats that make the final payroll numbers for the year and down the line?

ShoelessJoeS
01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
He's not a FA until after 2008. Players always get less in arbitration than they would get on the FA market. Until he's a FA, Boras is irrelevant.
Sweet, that means at least 3 more years of Crede in a Sox uniform. Hopefully he develops into one of the game's elite 3B by the end of his 3rd year of mandatory arbitration, while dumping Bora$ sometime within that span.

KRS1
01-17-2006, 05:07 PM
so with crede now officially on the books whats that make the final payroll numbers for the year and down the line?

This year, is 88 mil as of now. Some will give you outrageous numbers close to 100 mil, but I think they are including buyouts.

chisoxfanatic
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM

With the amount of money they saved with his small contract last season, they can afford to hike it up to that level this year. The law of averages applies here.

soxinem1
01-17-2006, 06:03 PM
JC is a key member of this team. I keep reading about the back issue, but it seems 70% of MLB rosters have 'back issues' with their players.

It's a silly barganing chip to use in this case because it has not been an issue with Crede. If he had missed a lot of time in his career for injuries, then yes. In 2005, he missed time for a fracture, not his back.

For what he does for the team, 2.65 mill is more than fair, and it proves that Crede wants to stick around for awhile too.

SoxPostSeason
01-17-2006, 07:18 PM
yes! this is a great bday present for me:D:

WSox8404
01-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Wow. One day early. All in all however this is good. I do not care what anyone else says about Crede, I want to see him in a Sox uniform for a long time to come.

KRS1
01-17-2006, 11:22 PM
JC is a key member of this team. I keep reading about the back issue, but it seems 70% of MLB rosters have 'back issues' with their players.

It's a silly barganing chip to use in this case because it has not been an issue with Crede. If he had missed a lot of time in his career for injuries, then yes. In 2005, he missed time for a fracture, not his back.

For what he does for the team, 2.65 mill is more than fair, and it proves that Crede wants to stick around for awhile too.

Joe actually did miss time with his back problem. It wasnt substantial like a week off at a time, but it was enough of a problem for him to have to get extra rest throughout the last half of the season. As with any injury or disease, treatment is progressing exponentially (especially with backs) and in the future this problem could very well become a thing of the past. I've been reading up on the new non-surgical techniques they use and one sounds particularly promising. It is called Decompression Therapy, it involves stretching the patient and slipping the herniated matter back into place, and the doctors who perform it claim it works quickly and is a permanent solution.

Soxfanspcu11
01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Do you really think he is going to have his break out season at the plate?

Yes I do. For most of the 2005 season, JC was either hitting pop ups or grounding out, his batting average was not very impressive. Every now and then he "ran into" a pitch and hit a blast, but for the most part, he brought no positive offense for this team. I remember many Sox fans, myself included who were hoping KW would make a deal for Crede.

The only thing that kept him in a Sox uniform was his stellar defense at third.

After he broke his finger on that failed bunt attempt in Minnesota and went on the DL for a few weeks, he changed his swing and plate techniques.

I remember reading an interview with Walker about how while Joe was injured, the two of them would review tape of his at-bats during the season. I forget the exact adjustment that Joe made, but I do remember that it was quite significant.

After he made the change, and was healthy enough to return to the lineup, he started smoking the ball. Pop-outs and ground-outs were greatly reduced, and even when he didn't hit safely, he was hitting the ball VERY hard.

Joe's new approach at the plate has changed his hitting potential forever, and I would not be surprised at all if he put up a career year in 2006.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Anyone who thinks Kenny is done dealing hasn't been paying attention. :wink:

kevin57
01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Do you think that Kenny's signing of Crede on the heels of the Cub Convention was a way of stealing some more "Cub Pub"? :cool:

I know it may be a stretch, but KW has stated that one of his goals as GM is to make Chicago a Sox town. This could be one more step--albeit subtle--in that campaign.