PDA

View Full Version : learn to be a loveable loser

irish rover
01-01-2002, 07:12 PM
I can't believe a college is wasting thier time on this

This from the Loras College Bulletin in Dubuque, IA

Section 2: Lovable Losers, The Chicago Cubs: How do We Develop a Sense of Community in the Modern World?. Instructor: Dr. Maggie Sullivan, Department of Communication Arts. 10:00-10:50 MWF. "The Greek philosopher Aristotle wrote in 340 B.C. that virtue is necessary for happiness and that three things are required for virtue: first, knowledge; second, to choose wisely; and third, to act in a firm and steadfast manner. He didn't know it, of course, but he was describing the Cub fan. To be a Cub fan is to be a graduate student in the school of life. What can life possibly offer or throw at us that we haven't known before" (Langford, 1984, p.20) In this course we will discuss the concept of loyalty and why people are loyal to such things as friends, family members, coworkers, and teams. We will analyze the wide appeal of an afternoon at nostalgic Wrigley Field. Students will try to answer: What is behind the cultural following of the Chicago Cubs? Why are Cub fans loyal to losers? The study of the Cubs will students develop an understanding of the concept of community and why we seek to "belong" in our lives

Daver
01-01-2002, 07:19 PM
What can you expect from a school in Dubuque IA.?

Spiff
01-01-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by irish rover

Section 2: Lovable Losers, The Chicago Cubs: How do We Develop a Sense of Community in the Modern World?. Instructor: Dr. Maggie Sullivan, Department of Communication Arts. 10:00-10:50 MWF. "The Greek philosopher Aristotle wrote in 340 B.C. that virtue is necessary for happiness and that three things are required for virtue: first, knowledge; second, to choose wisely; and third, to act in a firm and steadfast manner. He didn't know it, of course, but he was describing the Cub fan. To be a Cub fan is to be a graduate student in the school of life. What can life possibly offer or throw at us that we haven't known before" (Langford, 1984, p.20) In this course we will discuss the concept of loyalty and why people are loyal to such things as friends, family members, coworkers, and teams. We will analyze the wide appeal of an afternoon at nostalgic Wrigley Field. Students will try to answer: What is behind the cultural following of the Chicago Cubs? Why are Cub fans loyal to losers? The study of the Cubs will students develop an understanding of the concept of community and why we seek to "belong" in our lives

I think any of us can and will tear that apart.

But I will leave it at, some people are just toooooooo stupid.

Foulke You
01-01-2002, 07:30 PM
I can't believe what I just read! It's absolutely disgusting that someone will be getting college credit for this nonsense! "What's behind the cultural following of the Cubs?" I'll tell you what's behind it. It involves this amber colored liquid served in plastic cups AND the businesses surrounding said ballpark that ALSO serve the aforementioned amber colored liquid. :gulp: So...do I get an A+ for that professor?

:moron
I'll have you know that I went to Loras College in Dubuque! And I got an A in the Cubbies class!

IA_soxfan
01-01-2002, 07:44 PM
My god, that is just rediculous. I thought you went to college to increase your knowledge, not turn your brain into a shriveled lump of crap. In the words of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog: "that sounds like a pretty good class.....FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!"

FYI: Sox hall of famer Red Faber was a graduate of Loras College, what could he have been thinking?

sox_fan_forever
01-01-2002, 08:30 PM

OMG! I can't believe I just read that.

Soxheads
01-01-2002, 09:48 PM
This does not represent Iowa in any way. I live around 70 miles from that crackpot school, and I can't believe that it is a college.

IA_soxfan
01-01-2002, 10:07 PM
This does not represent Iowa in any way
Damn right soxheads, I second that.

CubKilla
01-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Let Professor CubsF'nBlow sum up this class rather simply. Only one lecture is all it will take.

1. What is behind the cultural following of the Chicago Cubs? Beer, Ivy, and Wrigley Field.

2. Why are Cub fans loyal to losers? Only a pathetic loser oneself could relate to a gaggle of losers and choke artists.

3. And this sense of "belonging." If you take a cell phone to a ball game, refer to Wrigley Field as, "the bar," and think Harry Caray started announcing at the "Friendly Confined"..... you are a LOSER, and as such, you should cheer for a team which accepts losing like no other..... the Chicago Cubs.

Notice Professor CubsF'nBlow didn't mention the taboo word BASEBALL anywhere in his summary. And the Professor, and I use that word VERY loosely, who has the nerve to rape a college tuition paying parent to pay money for this class should be run up a flag pole by his nuts.

Daver
01-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Let Professor CubsF'nBlow sum up this class rather simply. Only one lecture is all it will take.

1. What is behind the cultural following of the Chicago Cubs? Beer, Ivy, and Wrigley Field.

2. Why are Cub fans loyal to losers? Only a pathetic loser oneself could relate to a gaggle of losers and choke artists.

3. And this sense of "belonging." If you take a cell phone to a ball game, refer to Wrigley Field as, "the bar," and think Harry Caray started announcing at the "Friendly Confined"..... you are a LOSER, and as such, you should cheer for a team which accepts losing like no other..... the Chicago Cubs.

Notice Professor CubsF'nBlow didn't mention the taboo word BASEBALL anywhere in his summary. And the Professor, and I use that word VERY loosely, who has the nerve to rape a college tuition paying parent to pay money for this class should be run up a flag pole by his nuts.

Hey don't hold back,tell us how you really feel about the subject.

:)

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Got to agree with CubsF'nBlow here.What is the purpose to this??Are there colleges in NYC that feature courses entitled:"Why the Yank-mes are so great and everyone else blows"??

Better be careful what I wish for. :gulp:

DVG
01-01-2002, 11:40 PM
I'll tell you what. I don't know what Einstein teaches this class,
but I do know now why some people say that PhD. stands for
"Piled High and Deep."

longshot7
01-02-2002, 02:04 AM
Not just the above mentioned stuff, but kind of idiot would PAY (especially when you see how expensive college is nowadays) for a class on this? Good god, learn something useful, why don't you?

Nellie_Fox
01-02-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
Not just the above mentioned stuff, but [what] kind of idiot would PAY (especially when you see how expensive college is nowadays) for a class on this? Good god, learn something useful, why don't you?
Someone looking for an easy elective, most likely. Didn't one (or both) of the Gumbel brothers go to Loras?

FarWestChicago
01-02-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Someone looking for an easy elective, most likely. Didn't one (or both) of the Gumbel brothers go to Loras? When I was at NU there was a nororiously easy geology class dubbed "Rocks for Jocks" that many took as an easy elective. That may be rocket science compared to this class. :smile:

SOXSINCE'70
01-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
When I was at NU there was a nororiously easy geology class dubbed "Rocks for Jocks" that many took as an easy elective. That may be rocket science compared to this class. :smile:

"Rocks For Jocks"?? Are we talking archeology or rock music?

irish rover
01-03-2002, 12:48 PM
just to let you know that class is also partially funded by the National endowment for the humanities, good to see tax dollars hard at work

cheeses_h_rice
01-03-2002, 01:56 PM
just to let you know that class is also partially funded by the National endowment for the humanities, good to see tax dollars hard at work

That can only be because when one considers the Cubbies, one can only say, "Oh, the humanity!"

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Pseudo-intellectualism is a common trait amongst Cubs fans. While there may be virtue supporting a losing ballclub, enjoying the losing (e.g. the "lovable losers" tag Cubs fans' embrace) is nothing short of perverted.

These people aren't pursuing a higher ideal; they are demented idiots. Some crack-smoking Cubs fan professor and her inane department head have invented a clever way to amuse themselves--and get the government to pay for it.

Figures.

irish rover
01-03-2002, 03:26 PM
kinda like this nimrod

http://www.andrews.edu/SM/2000-2001/Past/021401/XSports.html

SOXSINCE'70
01-03-2002, 08:18 PM
WHAT A LOOOOOO-SAAAAAHHHHH!!! :whiner: :whiner: