PDA

View Full Version : D-Rays Rumors: Name Change, Aquarium in the Outfield

Brian26
01-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I pulled this off a baseball card website that I occasionally read. This news was also apparently reported on XM radio over the weekend.

The Devil Rays are considering either permanently removing the "Devil" part of their nickname to become the Tampa Bay Rays OR completely changing their name to the Tampa Bay "Tarpons".

Some of the team's official letterhead has already been changed to just reference the team as the "Rays". There is a possibility they might keep this name and focus more on the "sunshine" aspect than the fish.

Also, there is a report they are going to build a massive aquarium in their outfield, up against the wall, with 20-30 live Devil Rays inside.

I'll try to find some links to this stuff. I know it sounds like wacky news, but I thought some people here might find it interesting.

munchman33
01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
I pulled this off a baseball card website that I occasionally read. This news was also apparently reported on XM radio over the weekend.

The Devil Rays are considering either permanently removing the "Devil" part of their nickname to become the Tampa Bay Rays OR completely changing their name to the Tampa Bay "Tarpons".

Some of the team's official letterhead has already been changed to just reference the team as the "Rays". There is a possibility they might keep this name and focus more on the "sunshine" aspect than the fish.

Also, there is a report they are going to build a massive aquarium in their outfield, up against the wall, with 20-30 live Devil Rays inside.

I'll try to find some links to this stuff. I know it sounds like wacky news, but I thought some people here might find it interesting.

I've heard this as well, through a link on Buster Olney's blog I believe.

Seems weird to change the name to focus on sun rays, but then build an aquarium and fill it with devil rays.

buehrle4cy05
01-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Let me get this straight. They're going to put an aquarium on an outfield wall? Are they nuts?

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Let me get this straight. They're going to put an aquarium on an outfield wall? Are they nuts?Why don't they just take a page from the Astros and put it in the middle of center field. Wouldn't that be quirky?

PAPChiSox729
01-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Let me get this straight. They're going to put an aquarium on an outfield wall? Are they nuts?

Let's just hope the D'Backs don't get too keen of this idea.
:o:

Lip Man 1
01-16-2006, 09:21 PM
This is what you do when you have a bad team and a lousy organization.

Hmmmmm...I wonder what the Cubs will be planning for 07?

Lip

HomeFish
01-16-2006, 09:25 PM

I'm fairly certain that they had trained bear cubs at their home games during the 1906 World Series.

RichFitztightly
01-16-2006, 09:26 PM
They should change their name to "The Suck-a-lots."

PKalltheway
01-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Running into that extremely thick glass in the outfield will most certainly be painful for the outfielders.:redneck Also, I can already see the jokes that will most certainly come out of being named the "Tarpons."

Gosox1917
01-16-2006, 09:34 PM
This thread is hilarioius. Ha...suck-a-lots....tarpons. Oh, how lucky I am to be alive during the expansion age.

IlliniSox4Life
01-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Wait, I'm confused, is the aquarium idea to put it in the wall of the outfield, or is it to put it behind the bleacher/seating area? It seems like a very expensive marketing ploy for a team that isn't rolling in the dough.

Corlose 15
01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
This is gonna be like those goldfish in the disco shoes. All the Devil Rays will die and they won't be able to get them out.

TheDarkGundam
01-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Let's hope the Phillies never play the D-rays. Can you imagine Rowand slamming into an aquarium? The glass all shatters, the water pours onto the field, and Rowand still makes the catch.
Actually, now that I think about it, that would be awesome.

Red Barchetta
01-16-2006, 10:38 PM
As a lifelong Chicagoen and SOX fan recently transplanted to Sarasota/Tampa area, I can only hope this helps keep MLB in the area. I enjoy the spring training atmosphere, however if the Rays pack it up, then I miss out on the 3 (w0w!!!) SOX games in St. Pete every year.

An aquarium might be cool, however it's the smell they need to get rid of. Remember in high school when someone would leave their smelly, sweaty gym shorts/shirts in their locker over Christmas break?! Now multiply that 1000 percent. That's the "Tropicana Experience".

The Tampa/St. Pete area is absolutely beautiful and scenic. Why they decided to play indoor baseball is beyond me. We do experience daily, but brief, shower activity and the humidity is high in July/August, however with all the retractible roofs, etc. modern engineering could fix the environment concerns. Unfortunately, I don't think a new ballpark is even an option as I read there is a very long lease on the Tropicana dome. Ugh!

As to the name, "Rays" is fine, but "Tarpons"?! We all know the "r" will be replaced with an "m" immediately in the fans circles. That would be a PR/marketing nightmare.

HotelWhiteSox
01-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I have heard about the 'Rays' thing a while ago, like a couple years ago, but don't know how official it is, as I've seen them listed as both.

But yeah, lol, how about more into your team. I read the acquariam thing and thought it'd be cool, thinking it'd be something on a concourse or something, but now that I read it again and see that it's on the actual wall, :o:

LongLiveFisk
01-16-2006, 10:48 PM
While they're at it, just lose the word "Bay" as well. Tampa is the city--we get it.

buehrle4cy05
01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
How about they change their name to the "Doormats".

Unregistered
01-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Best of luck to the Tampa Bay Tampons.

Kotex should get naming rights for the stadium, too.

Fenway
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
source of all this

There are all kinds of innovative concepts (clean restrooms! a decent sound system!) floating around along with new ideas, such as plans for a huge touch tank of live rays on the right-centerfield patio.

At the least, it seems likely the word "Devil" will be dropped, as it already is in some official team references. Then a decision has to be made whether to continue associating Rays with the sea creatures or to connect with the sun. Or there could be a new name, such as the Tampa Bay Tarpons.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/15/Rays/Name_could_be_big_cha.shtml

doublem23
01-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Just in case you were like me and asked, "*** is a tarpon?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarpon

Chisox003
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
An aquarium might be cool, however it's the smell they need to get rid of. Remember in high school when someone would leave their smelly, sweaty gym shorts/shirts in their locker over Christmas break?! Now multiply that 1000 percent. That's the "Tropicana Experience".
Not only does the place look like ****, it smells like **** too?

Where does the stench come from? Hmm....

Maybe it's the turf. Maybe it's the ugly roof. Maybe it's the fans (or lack there of). But maybe, just maybe, it's the team.

Just sayin.....:cool:

Fenway
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
While they're at it, just lose the word "Bay" as well. Tampa is the city--we get it.

That won't happen the stadium is 20 miles from Tampa in St. Petersburg

I like Fighting Seaweed myself

Sox-o-matic
01-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Let's see...

Crappy stadium, losing team, attendance problems, miniscule payroll...

Since we're in South Florida and there's no hope of contending anytime soon, why not take out some seats in favor of an Off Track Betting facility and an all you can eat salad bar? It couldn't hurt.

FedEx227
01-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh the D-Rays... for some reason my second favorite team after the White Sox (don't ask, I don't know either)

Anyway. These are actually some solid ideas.

First off taking off the Rays will not effect anything, I don't see it as needed unless soccer moms are threatened by it. By all accounts they've removed any mention of DEVIL on their jersey or team logos, so whatever. But please no Tarpons, that just sounds ridiculous.

The touch tank will be a nice touch, and as people said it would be pretty nice to see Aaron Rowand take a headfirst dive into the tank and proceed to be poisioned beyond belief :rolleyes:.

The real thing the D-Rays need to do is have owners that will commit to being a good team. They have a TON of great prospects in the system, but it seems like they'll refuse to hold onto any vetarns, or hold onto those prospects once they become D-Ray veterans (anybody over 23).

They're a double-eged sword really. They can't commit to big time players because the money is just not there become nobody goes to their games, likewise nobody goes to their games because they cannot commit to big time players and put a successful team out of the field. All I know Carl Crawford, Jorge Cantu, Delmon Young and BJ Upton are all extremely talent players, they just flat out need decent pitching which they have NEVER had and trading for Edwin Jackson (who is just a younger version of D-Rays castoff Dewan Brazelton) is not going to help....

YEAH! What is that?! Thats the first thing I said when I walked into the Trop 3 years ago. I turned to my dad and said "Jesus christ what is that smell"?

Kevin
01-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Rays? Sunshine? Central Florida's already been though that with everyone's favorite early 90's AA team!

http://www.logoserver.com/baseball/OrlandoSunRays9091.GIF

Pureone
01-17-2006, 02:34 AM
Tarpons... :?:

Make it stop! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

ViPeRx007
01-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Instead of putting a freakin aquarium into the wall, they should just just cut the dome off their stadium.

BTW, I'm all for the Tampa Bay Rays, or Tampa Rays, but Tarpons? Come on, people..What the heck are they smoking down there in Florida?

DSpivack
01-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Let's just hope the D'Backs don't get too keen of this idea.
:o:

Too bad Jake "The Snake" Plummer left the Cards.:tongue:

Frankly Missing
01-17-2006, 08:19 AM

The Tropicana is not in Tampa, it's in St Petersburg. Tampa and St Pete sit across from each other on the Tampa Bay.

I don't mind the Trop at all, it is home to 81 MLB games every year, rain or shine.

If the stadium is the most important thing, I would be wearing alot of blue.

BTW, I have never smelled anything unpleasant inside the Tropicana. Just bring your glove, no clothespin required.

Baby Fisk
01-17-2006, 08:51 AM

Lip
Yes, it's positively Veeckian. :wink:

oeo
01-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Tarpons sounds like a Japanese team name...they've got to be able to come up with something better than that.

Hangar18
01-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Lip

...being the pioneering organization that they are, the Cubs will be adding a 4 star restaurant into the "batting-eye" portion of the park,
and for baby-boomers, a separate bleacher section in RF for those who do not like the foul-language, inane behavior and smell of urine that is prevalent in the wrigley bleachers

soxfanatlanta
01-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Let's see look at what they are considering...

1. Drop Devil from thier name because the work Devil is...er...the DEVIL!
or
2. Change thier name to a fish that few people have even heard of.
and
3. Add a fish tank.

Anybody else think that this is way screwed up?

Perhaps they could, you know, focus on some other pesky issues like trying to get the organization fixed, hold on to thier older players, get the hell out of Tropicana field; MLB's answer to the toilet bowl.

They have some great talent on the farm, but I'm sure that when their players get the call, somebody says, "Tough break kid, I'm sorry."

:dtroll:

Man, what a mess.

Fenway
01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
If my in-laws are any barometer the "devil" being included in the name hurt them very much. Still Devil Rays was a better name than the one the 1991 expansion hopefuls would have used "Whitecaps"

Tarpons was a named used back in the FSL days and the locals know what it is

http://www.logoserver.com/baseball/TampaTarpons56.GIF

Everyone in the area seems to agree on one thing. Had Pinellas County built the stadium some 5 miles further north on I-275 in an area called the Gateway, the team would have drawn much better.

The harsh reality is the area simply can not sustain MLB. While the metro area has over 2,000,000 people, the area also has by far the lowest per capita income in MLB. A large percentage of the population is on fixed income.

The Rays *knew* there were in trouble the first day they ever put tickets on sale.

Tickets for opening day were gone within minutes. Business was steady all day. With only about 16,000 seats to sell for each game (29,000 had been set aside for season tickets and day-of-game sales), Naimoli predicted at least 20 games would be sold out that day.
But when team officials gathered in the ticket office that December 1997 afternoon, the totals weren't what they expected. Nor were the nervous looks on their faces.
The historic opener was their only sellout - and it would be six years before they got another
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/06/Rays/What_went_wrong.shtml

soxinem1
01-17-2006, 10:25 AM
In the late 1980's the Tampa Tarpons were a farm team of the White Sox. I believe they were a short-season A ball team. They actually had a cool logo, if I remember. It didn't look like the one above.

Of course, that team could probably beat the D-Rays!

anewman35
01-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Perhaps they could, you know, focus on some other pesky issues like trying to get the organization fixed, hold on to thier older players, get the hell out of Tropicana field; MLB's answer to the toilet bowl.

They have some great talent on the farm, but I'm sure that when their players get the call, somebody says, "Tough break kid, I'm sorry."

I'm sure they're doing that, too. Just because they have these ideas don't mean they aren't doing other things.

Fenway
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
In the late 1980's the Tampa Tarpons were a farm team of the White Sox. I believe they were a short-season A ball team. They actually had a cool logo, if I remember. It didn't look like the one above.

Of course, that team could probably beat the D-Rays!

http://www.section219.com/Portals/0/ProductImages/tampatarpoons.gif

The Tarpons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarpon) played 30 years in the Florida State League, from 1957-1987, at Al Lopez (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/lopez_al.htm) Field, named for the great Hall of Fame catcher and manager.

Baby Fisk
01-17-2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.logoserver.com/baseball/TampaTarpons56.GIF http://www.section219.com/Portals/0/ProductImages/tampatarpoons.gif

The second one looks more like a dolphin. Here's a tarpon:

http://www.jcpoiret.com/bapw/images/tourisme/gabon/tarpon.jpg

skobabe8
01-17-2006, 04:32 PM
So they are considering shifting the focus of the Rays from the fish to the sun??? THE TEAM PLAYS INDOORS!!

:roflmao:

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
There is a possibility they might keep this name and focus more on the "sunshine" aspect than the fish.

So why would they focus more on the "sunshine" aspect of the name, if they were going to build a fish tank in the OF? :?:

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 05:09 PM
So they are considering shifting the focus of the Rays from the fish to the sun??? THE TEAM PLAYS INDOORS!!

:roflmao:Entirely appropriate. It's dangerous to stare directly at them for too long.

SaltyPretzel
01-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Tarpons sounds like a Japanese team name...they've got to be able to come up with something better than that.

How about The Blowfish?

SOXintheBURGH
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
All I know is I became the HUGEST Devil Rays fan when they played Cleveland at the end of the season.

WSox8404
01-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Running into that extremely thick glass in the outfield will most certainly be painful for the outfielders.:redneck Also, I can already see the jokes that will most certainly come out of being named the "Tarpons."

You beat me to that post. Change one letter and what have you got? A lot of pieces of something possibly being thrown onto the field. They better think that one through.

DaleJRFan
01-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Entirely appropriate. It's dangerous to stare directly at them for too long.

:roflmao:

doublem23
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
The solution is obvious:

Tampa Bay God Rays

http://www.cindykassab.com/misc/images/God%27s%20Rays.jpg

Sunshine... No Devil... You could probably stick a fish in there somewhere, too.

Priceless.

Brian26
01-17-2006, 10:57 PM
So why would they focus more on the "sunshine" aspect of the name, if they were going to build a fish tank in the OF? :?:

I only report the news...I don't try to make sense of it :D:

Hitmen77
01-18-2006, 09:28 AM
The bottom line is that Tampa Bay shouldn't even be in the league. They're a total joke. They play in a terrible stadium, they can't draw any fans, they have no hope of becoming competitive. On top of that, they have probably the ugliest uniforms and logo in the league and they can't even come up with a good name. Devil Rays, Rays, Tarpons...they're all stupid names.

MLB should be embarassed to stick this minor league team in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox and Orioles.

MeanFish
01-21-2006, 09:31 AM
The bottom line is that Tampa Bay shouldn't even be in the league. They're a total joke. They play in a terrible stadium, they can't draw any fans, they have no hope of becoming competitive. On top of that, they have probably the ugliest uniforms and logo in the league and they can't even come up with a good name. Devil Rays, Rays, Tarpons...they're all stupid names.

MLB should be embarassed to stick this minor league team in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox and Orioles.

Allow me to take a moment and defend the ... well, whatever they call themselves. This "minor league team" was 12th in the Major Leagues last year with 750 runs -- not a great total but not embarrassing either.

This, however, is coupled with one of the worst ERA's in the league. However, I'm willing to give them somewhat of a pass on this, as it is fairly difficult to have a sparkling team ERA over 162 games in that division.

The point I'm trying to make is that while the Devil Rays have never won anything, they are not the worst team in the league. And who are we to criticize a stadium? It wasn't until recently that people weren't criticizing ours.

Brian26
01-22-2006, 01:14 AM
And who are we to criticize a stadium? It wasn't until recently that people weren't criticizing ours.

I still think the 1991-2000 version of Comiskey Park was light years ahead of Tropicana Field.