PDA

View Full Version : XM radio MLB package

Chicken Dinner
01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone was going to get the XM radio so they can listen to baseball from anywhere. Living out of the Chicago area now, I buy the Indemand package for TV but every once in a while (WCIU games) I don't get the Sox. Also when FOX does their Saturday blackout crap you can't get it either. XM MLB sounds like it would be nice to have as a backup. I was down in Cabo last September and I wonder if XM would of worked down there.

1951Campbell
01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone was going to get the XM radio so they can listen to baseball from anywhere. Living out of the Chicago area now, I buy the Indemand package for TV but every once in a while (WCIU games) I don't get the Sox. Also when FOX does their Saturday blackout crap you can't get it either. XM MLB sounds like it would be nice to have as a backup. I was down in Cabo last September and I wonder if XM would of worked down there.

As an out-of-market fan on a budget, I think XM MLB is spectacular.

kingpin_rcs
01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I got XM last year and it is awesome. I live on the west coast so that means most of the games start just as I am leaving work (5pm). It's really nide to be able to hear the game during my evening commute. Plus on my radio the display keeps track of the score, inning and outs. This is really handy if you want to scan the other channels quickly to see what the scores are.

You always get the home team broadcast so you will only get Farmer and Singleton for home games.

Unlike DirecTV or DISH, every single game is on every day.

During the playoffs and WS you could listen to the either teams home broadcast or the national feed.

Additionally, channel 175 is 24 hour baseball discussion all year long.

All this plus all of the music channels are good too.

robertks61
01-16-2006, 08:27 PM
After listening to the Sox on XM at my cousin's cabin in the middle of nowhere, MN I decide to get it with the free roady XT coupon they gave out at WS game #1. I also purchased the home kit and listen all the time. Can't wait until I get out on the road this summer and am able to listen to the Sox!

SouthSide_HitMen
01-16-2006, 08:27 PM
As an out-of-market fan on a budget, I think XM MLB is spectacular.

Cheaper & better option - if you plan on listening at home / anywhere with an internet connection:

$14.95 / season

Home & Away broadcasts
Full archieve for every current and prior season game including playoffs

Available as the season approaches on mlb.com. I've bought this for a few years now.

epgalsoxfan
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Xm is awesome for baseball games!!! Its also awesome in general..my dad has had one for a few years but I just got it for christmas and i love it..highly recommend geting the xm to go..you can record but you can also get antenna headphone and take it on the go as well :)I should be part of their PR department

Malgar 12
01-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Cheaper & better option - if you plan on listening at home / anywhere with an internet connection:

$14.95 / season

Home & Away broadcasts

Available as the season approaches on mlb.com. I've bought this for a few years now.
I couldn't agree more, and I got it free the last two years by signing up for a trial SI subscription. If you cancel in the SI in the first four weeks it costs nothing. (The offer usually comes out around the end of April)

What a deal!

richb2
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I live on the west coast where do you get xm radio and how much does it cost? does best buy carry it?

Chicken Dinner
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
From the XM website, it looks like $13 a month or $12 if you buy a years worth. It also says that there is no contract so I guess you can get it for just the baseball season. I just started looking around on Ebay and they have some pretty good deals. I will keep shopping though. Looks like you want to get the XM2GO.

http://www.xmradio.com/service_subscription/service_subscription.jsp

itsnotrequired
01-16-2006, 10:03 PM
I live on the west coast where do you get xm radio and how much does it cost? does best buy carry it?
Best Buy has it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp;jsessionid=CUII5B5MN0UB1KC4D3IFAFY?id= pcmcat45000050001&type=category

So does Circuit City

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-14641/N/20012898+20014641+1343/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

HotelWhiteSox
01-16-2006, 10:43 PM
If you have a broadband internet connection, I would recommend MLB.TV . Unlike the cable/satellite packages, you get the WCIU games. There's also the bonus that the games are archived, so it's basically On Demand, so you don't have to worry about missing a game. Also, I have a laptop with a SVideo connection, so I can just plug into my TV and it looks great (if you don't have that, I'm sure they have USB converters for cheap at Radioshack).

I have heard good things about XM (you also get the music, but I have heard complaints of bad quality on the nonmusic channels), and baseball is probably the best radio sport, but for me, I'd just prefer to watch it, because I like to look at specific things when watching a game. Sign language of the players (esp pitchers), different strategies, and stuff like that.

It's your call, but I'm throwin in a shout out for MLB.TV :D:

DenverSock
01-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I got XM last year and it is awesome. I live on the west coast so that means most of the games start just as I am leaving work (5pm). It's really nide to be able to hear the game during my evening commute. Plus on my radio the display keeps track of the score, inning and outs. This is really handy if you want to scan the other channels quickly to see what the scores are.

You always get the home team broadcast so you will only get Farmer and Singleton for home games.

Unlike DirecTV or DISH, every single game is on every day.

During the playoffs and WS you could listen to the either teams home broadcast or the national feed.

Additionally, channel 175 is 24 hour baseball discussion all year long.

All this plus all of the music channels are good too. I recently got it too (XM2Go). Every thing kingpin said is true and I have the same trouble as you with WCIU games. I don't think you would get it in Cabo. OTOH, you never know, even if they didn't promise you it would work, it might.

There were good deals on the net for the XM receivers, better than either Circuit City or Best Buy. I've had no problem with sound quality yet.

RowanDye
01-16-2006, 11:34 PM

$14.95 / season

Home & Away broadcasts

I lived in Iowa City last year and I had the MLB.com radio package just to get WCIU games and those that I couldn't get to a T.V. I must say though that it was not always reliable (cut out a few times even with a high speed cable modem) AND there is a significant delay! If you don't care about the delay it will probably be fine for you, but I found it pretty annoying. Muting DJ (during the 7th and 8th) and tuning in to Farmer and Rooney was not really an option, because you saw everything well before you heard it.

Now I moved to Virginia and I decided to activate my XM radio that I won at a game last year so I can at least listen to games. I really do like the service -- ESPN news, an MLB channel, and I can usually find music worth listening to(unlike regular radio). My big grip is that the MLB stuff is NOT available through the internet player. If MLB would allow XM to play there stuff on the internet (I'm assuming they won't let XM do it because they want people to use MLB.com instead) this would be perfect. But now if I'm at work or not getting a good satellite signal there is no way to listen to games except for paying MLB more money. If MLB is really blocking XM from playing their content through the internet like I am assuming, I haven't been more disappointed since I bought a game on MLB.com and got blacked out even though the game wasn't on TV! Get some sense MLB!

RowanDye
01-16-2006, 11:35 PM

$14.95 / season

Home & Away broadcasts

I lived in Iowa City last year and I had the MLB.com radio package just to get WCIU games and those that I couldn't get to a T.V. I must say though that it was not always reliable (cut out a few times even with a high speed cable modem) AND there is a significant delay! If you don't care about the delay it will probably be fine for you, but I found it pretty annoying. Muting DJ (during the 7th and 8th) and tuning in to Farmer and Rooney was not really an option, because you saw everything well before you heard it.

Now I moved to Virginia and I decided to activate my XM radio that I won at a game last year so I can at least listen to games. I really do like the service -- ESPN news, an MLB channel, and I can usually find music worth listening to(unlike regular radio). My big grip is that the MLB stuff is NOT available through the internet player. If MLB would allow XM to play there stuff on the internet (I'm assuming they won't let XM do it because they want people to use MLB.com instead) this would be perfect. But now if I'm at work or not getting a good satellite signal there is no way to listen to games except for paying MLB more money. If MLB is really blocking XM from playing their content through the internet like I am assuming, I haven't been more disappointed since I bought a game on MLB.com and got blacked out even though the game wasn't on TV! Get some sense MLB!

Edit : Mods please remove one of these, I recieved an error when I posted the 1st one sorry

SouthSide_HitMen
01-16-2006, 11:53 PM

Audio is never blacked out - only MLB.tv within the teams broadcast area.

I bought MLB.tv in June when I obtained broadband. I think it was $49.95 for the remaining 4 months which I thought was a great deal. Sometimes I was able to log in and get games which should have been blacked out.

I bought the audio to listen to out of town games as well as to listen to the White Sox at work (downtown = poor AM reception). I may renew the MLB.tv portion depending on the full season price. It would be a no brainer if games weren't blacked out (I do not purchase cable TV). They should charge an additional amount to be split by local broadcasters and MLB for people who would like to pay for local broadcasts.

MLB.tv is great for people out of the area who want to watch the White Sox. MLB Gameday audio is great for people who want to listen to the games at work, when they are out of town, etc. and for those wanting access to out of town broadcasts (you could listen to other games during the day if the White Sox have a night game or are off - you can also listen to your starting pitcher on your Rotisserie Team). I have purchased the audio for the past 4 years and have loved it (it fails a few times a season but usually is restored within a few minutes).

If people like other programing on XM, that may be the way to go. Outside of baseball, the only radio I listen to is Jazz programing & a few shows on WLS on Sundays so I do not need satelite radio.

Chicken Dinner
01-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Audio is never blacked out - only MLB.tv within the teams broadcast area.

I think what was meant was that if you subscribe to XM you also get to listen to it over the internet but you don't get the baseball games on the internet due to MLB.

starboy0
01-17-2006, 06:31 AM
XM is just great. And it come really come in handy. I remember the last home game last year with Minnesota. When I got to the park it was raining and the scoreboard showed Cleveland leading KC 3-0. I had the XM radio with me and listened to the Cleveland game while waiting for our game to start. Once our game started I kept listening to the Cleveland game in one ear because KC was coming back.

When KC won I just started shouting KC wins! KC wins! Everybody in my section looked at me and then at the scoreboard which still had not changed. A few minutes later the scoreboard finally showed the result. Felt like the prophet Elijah announcing the good news!

krohnjw
01-17-2006, 06:50 AM
I had XM and MLB.tv.

XM radio was great for my car ride home and baseball in the car. MLB.tv was excellent for watching the games :D:

dakuda
01-17-2006, 08:09 AM
I think what was meant was that if you subscribe to XM you also get to listen to it over the internet but you don't get the baseball games on the internet due to MLB.

175 (the MLB channel) is not available on the internet streaming for XM. I've tried just entering the numbers since it wasn't on the menu, but no luck.

I think the music on XM is subpar (at least for me), and have heard that Sirius is 10x better for rock. No MLB there though...

Personally, I am not renewing my contract once it expires.

soxfanatlanta
01-17-2006, 09:48 AM
My wife bought me XM for X-mas, and paid virtually nothing for the car kit after rebates. I purchased a years worth about $12 per month, along with the home kit so I can hook it up wherever there is a stero. I rarely listen to the FM now. I know Sirus has some PR momentum these days, but I'd rather listen to the Sex Pistols over Howard Stern anyday :smile:

Oh yeah, I cannot wait to listen to the games

Sad
01-17-2006, 10:04 AM
my wife hooked me up w/ XM for my birthday, back in Nov... I love it!

looking forward to hearing all the radio broadcasts of games this summer while driving
(I purchase Extra Innings from DirecTV every year also)
as well as NASCAR, etc.

not to change the subject, but does anybody know if NASCAR is moving to SIRIUS after '06?
I thought I heard that rumor...

RowanDye
01-17-2006, 12:46 PM

Yes that's what I meant.

Fenway
01-17-2006, 12:55 PM

not to change the subject, but does anybody know if NASCAR is moving to SIRIUS after '06?
I thought I heard that rumor...

Beginning in 2007, Sirius will broadcast all Nextel Cup Series, Busch Series and Craftsman Truck Series races live on a specially created, 24/7 NASCAR channel, and Sirius will be the only place on satellite radio to listen to NASCAR

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/official/02/22/sirius_2007/

for me it is pretty simple, XM has baseball end of discussion

BTW XM is offering some sweet deals on radios on the nhl.com site.

http://www.xmradio.com/holidayoffer/nhl.jsp

bayzbol44
01-17-2006, 01:13 PM
XM rules. Like someone stated before, XM has baseball. 24/7, every game, for every team all year long. IF you really love baseball, it is well worth it. I have had it for over a year and I am very happy with the service.

Plus they play classic games at night. IF you get a XM2go unit, you can set it up to record the games at night and listen to them at work or on the ride into work.

Fenway
01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
XM rules. Like someone stated before, XM has baseball. 24/7, every game, for every team all year long. IF you really love baseball, it is well worth it. I have had it for over a year and I am very happy with the service.

Plus they play classic games at night. IF you get a XM2go unit, you can set it up to record the games at night and listen to them at work or on the ride into work.

I thought i was the only one doing that :tongue:

Just the other day they had Hughes and Santo calling Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. That was great radio....

bayzbol44
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Damn Fenway, I missed that one. That would have been good radio to listen to. :D:

Sad
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Beginning in 2007, Sirius will broadcast all Nextel Cup Series, Busch Series and Craftsman Truck Series races live on a specially created, 24/7 NASCAR channel, and Sirius will be the only place on satellite radio to listen to NASCAR

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/official/02/22/sirius_2007/

for me it is pretty simple, XM has baseball end of discussion

BTW XM is offering some sweet deals on radios on the nhl.com site.

http://www.xmradio.com/holidayoffer/nhl.jsp

ok thanks... most NASCAR I watch or can get on the FM if outdoors...
and you're right, MLB was the deciding factor for me choosing XM as well...

Sad
01-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I thought i was the only one doing that :tongue:

Just the other day they had Hughes and Santo calling Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. That was great radio....

they also played their "Munsters" bit from '05 last week...
and whether you like em or not, that was funny stuff...

Fenway
01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
ok thanks... most NASCAR I watch or can get on the FM if outdoors...
and you're right, MLB was the deciding factor for me choosing XM as well...

I am not a NASCAR fan ( but my son is ) but I will never forget driving on I-95 in the Carolinas and Eli Gold's NASCAR show was on EVERY radio station that the scan button stopped at.

AZChiSoxFan
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
If you have a broadband internet connection, I would recommend MLB.TV . Unlike the cable/satellite packages, you get the WCIU games. There's also the bonus that the games are archived, so it's basically On Demand, so you don't have to worry about missing a game. Also, I have a laptop with a SVideo connection, so I can just plug into my TV and it looks great (if you don't have that, I'm sure they have USB converters for cheap at Radioshack).

I have heard good things about XM (you also get the music, but I have heard complaints of bad quality on the nonmusic channels), and baseball is probably the best radio sport, but for me, I'd just prefer to watch it, because I like to look at specific things when watching a game. Sign language of the players (esp pitchers), different strategies, and stuff like that.

It's your call, but I'm throwin in a shout out for MLB.TV :D:

There's only one main problem with MLB.TV that I've heard of. If you live in any team's local market, ALL games are blacked out when the local team is playing. For example, I live in Phoenix so any time the D-backs are playing, all games on mlb.tv are blacked out. If this is true, then there's no way I'm getting mlb.tv. I guess it's fine if you live in a city that is not in any team's local market. Fenway, can you comment on this??

Fenway
01-17-2006, 08:01 PM
There's only one main problem with MLB.TV that I've heard of. If you live in any team's local market, ALL games are blacked out when the local team is playing. For example, I live in Phoenix so any time the D-backs are playing, all games on mlb.tv are blacked out. If this is true, then there's no way I'm getting mlb.tv. I guess it's fine if you live in a city that is not in any team's local market. Fenway, can you comment on this??

In Phoenix you could not watch the Diamondbacks or the team they are playing feed on mlbtv, you could watch the White Sox.

There is a major gray area with mlbtv they are trying somehow to address. For example you live in Chicago but travel a great deal. You could be in Boston but if your credit card is from a zipcode is on the Chicago blackout list you will be blocked.

I know a couple of people that finally went with slingbox (http://www.slingmedia.com/) to watch games on the road and it seems to have passed the legal sniff test as it is carried by the big name retailers.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-17-2006, 10:49 PM
:offtopic:

Does anyone know if the regular XM recievers can be used as a 'walk-man' kind of deal? I know delphi makes a portable but thats about $200 whereas the normal recievers are as low as $50. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to, since all they need is a output for headphones. And they seem to have to have that, since they plug into the car somehow. Appreciate the info

rwcescato
01-17-2006, 10:55 PM

I live in Chicago and don't go anywhere without it. I love my XM!!
Rich

rwcescato
01-17-2006, 10:59 PM

Does anyone know if the regular XM recievers can be used as a 'walk-man' kind of deal? I know delphi makes a portable but thats about $200 whereas the normal recievers are as low as $50. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to, since all they need is a output for headphones. And they seem to have to have that, since they plug into the car somehow. Appreciate the info

I have an XM roady 2. I purchased it for $50 but it has been on sale for $30 at best buy. They sell a portable battery unit for 150 but it was on sale through xm for $50. Then it becomes portable for cheap. They also have
a portable XM2GO that sells for 150 I believe.
Rich

rwcescato
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
they also played their "Munsters" bit from '05 last week...
and whether you like em or not, that was funny stuff...

I heard that too and that was quite funny. Santo would not let it go.

DenverSock
01-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Check around the internet, we found deals with rebates that made the XM2Go almost that cheap and yes you can use it like a walkman. But reception issues are tricky when you use them that way. I assume XM reception is better in cities where they have the ground repeaters installed in large numbers. Not true in the suburbs of Denver.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Check around the internet, we found deals with rebates that made the XM2Go almost that cheap and yes you can use it like a walkman. But reception issues are tricky when you use them that way. I assume XM reception is better in cities where they have the ground repeaters installed in large numbers. Not true in the suburbs of Denver.

thanks guys!

The reason I ask is because the gym I go to plays nothing but Jack FM! arghhhhhh.

Jjav829
01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
thanks guys!

The reason I ask is because the gym I go to plays nothing but Jack FM! arghhhhhh.

I got the XM2Go for Christmas. I can't use it in my gym, though. It's too hard to get reception as the receiver has to be positioned in certain ways to receive the signal. Just a warning, you might want to think twice before dropping too much money if your only use would come in the gym. You might find, like me, that the only way you can receive the signal is by holding the receiver in certain angles and places which is hard to do while working out.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-18-2006, 12:41 AM
I got the XM2Go for Christmas. I can't use it in my gym, though. It's too hard to get reception as the receiver has to be positioned in certain ways to receive the signal. Just a warning, you might want to think twice before dropping too much money if your only use would come in the gym. You might find, like me, that the only way you can receive the signal is by holding the receiver in certain angles and places which is hard to do while working out.

dang, good call. Well this is kind of a bummer, since an mp3 player wouldn't be viable for myself

SouthSide_HitMen
01-18-2006, 07:39 AM
For example you live in Chicago but travel a great deal. You could be in Boston but if your credit card is from a zipcode is on the Chicago blackout list you will be blocked.

This is not true. The blackout function is determined by your IP Address (in conjunction with a custom software they use to determine your physical location). If you log in out of town White Sox games will not be blacked out but the team(s) in your out of town area will be. You can also call customer support if you are blacked out but should not be.

MLB site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/help/faq_technical.jsp#q23

Article about:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617714,00.asp

Also, somewhere on the internet there is a map which shows you which team / teams are blacked out in your area. People in Nevada and California have all California teams blacked out.

Fenway
01-18-2006, 07:46 AM
I know of multiple people who were blocked because of the zip code assigned to the credit card so I suspect they use a variety of schemes

This is not true. The blackout function is determined by your IP Address (in conjunction with a custom software they use to determine your physical location). If you log in out of town White Sox games will not be blacked out but the team(s) in your out of town area will be. You can also call customer support if you are blacked out but should not be.

MLB site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/help/faq_technical.jsp#q23

Article about:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617714,00.asp

Also, somewhere on the internet there is a map which shows you which team / teams are blacked out in your area. People in Nevada and California have all California teams blacked out.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
I know of multiple people who were blocked because of the zip code assigned to the credit card so I suspect they use a variety of schemes

Well they should call customer service who well correct the issue if they are out of the area. I was blacked out in Chicago but when I was out of town White Sox games were not blacked out.

Some people have the mistaken impression they should not be blacked out when in fact their zip code is part of the blackout rules. People in Nevada have no teams for 100s of miles yet are blacked out for several teams.

Fenway
01-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Well they should call customer service who well correct the issue if they are out of the area. I was blacked out in Chicago but when I was out of town White Sox games were not blacked out.

Some people have the mistaken impression they should not be blacked out when in fact their zip code is part of the blackout rules. People in Nevada have no teams for 100s of miles yet are blacked out for several teams.
Rule of thumb if your cable company ofers a regional sports net mlbtv will blackout game online. ISP location software just isn't foolproof My IP on Comcast can show as Chelmsford Ma or Cherry Hill NJ as Comcast moves servers around

Sad
01-18-2006, 08:55 AM

I have the XM2GO... it came with all the accessories needed for home and vehicle use as well...

in the house and truck the reception is great -
used as a "walkman" with the stubby clip antenna provided can be a real exercise in frustration at times :mad:
(even outdoors)

Hitmen77
01-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Are the local team's games only blacked out on mlbtv while the game is going on? In other words, if I missed a Sox game because I was out, would I be able to watch it on mlbtv later? Or would the blackout still apply?

SouthSide_HitMen
01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Are the local team's games only blacked out on mlbtv while the game is going on? In other words, if I missed a Sox game because I was out, would I be able to watch it on mlbtv later? Or would the blackout still apply?

No - about 1/2 hour to 1 hour after the game is over you have full access to view it anytime for the remainder of the year (until the following March). You have two years access of all achieves (current and prior year) with the subscription. So you can watch every White Sox playoff game at your leasure. No need to program a TIVO or that thing I see on Comcast commercials and no expiration date (well two years later) and no storage costs / devices are needed. You also get all games for the entire league.

I definitely will continue to get the audio (have bought it since the day it was offered - currently $14.95) and will buy the MLB.tv again if the full year cost is not substantially above the $49.95 I paid in June. I really wish the local games were not subject to blackout - I would pay extra for the Comcast broadcast since I won't purchase cable.

Once that World Baseball Tournament nonsense is over MLB will post the prices for 2006. The one thing to keep in mind - the subscription has automatic renewal unless you cancel prior to the following season - the onus is on you to remember and cancel.

WI-SOX-FAN
01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
the nice thing about the xm2go ( i am guessing the MyFi ) is that you can record up to i believe 5 hours of broadcasting ... (won't help with a live sox broadcast if you are in the gym) but you can use the recording function .. remember that if you aren't in a city with repeaters .. you need to have a direct line of sight to the southern skys.

i have had my xm2go since april '05 and have used it everyday in the car, at work , and in my shop. i had to run my antenna to my bosses window so i had a direct path to the southern sky. but not a problem since.

only bummer about the mlb on xm is you only get the home teams radio feed.

Sad
01-18-2006, 10:07 AM
the nice thing about the xm2go ( i am guessing the MyFi ) is that you can record up to i believe 5 hours of broadcasting ... (won't help with a live sox broadcast if you are in the gym) but you can use the recording function .. remember that if you aren't in a city with repeaters .. you need to have a direct line of sight to the southern skys.

i have had my xm2go since april '05 and have used it everyday in the car, at work , and in my shop. i had to run my antenna to my bosses window so i had a direct path to the southern sky. but not a problem since.

only bummer about the mlb on xm is you only get the home teams radio feed.

it is 5 hours of downloading availability, and, IIRC, the battery lasts 5 hours...
the idea/advantage of downloading (from what I understand) is having something to listen to when you cannot receive the signal (subway, train etc.)...

I'm loading mine up with Grateful Dead hours :smokin:

Fenway
01-18-2006, 10:11 AM
it is 5 hours of downloading availability, and, IIRC, the battery lasts 5 hours...
the idea/advantage of downloading (from what I understand) is having something to listen to when you cannot receive the signal (subway, train etc.)...

I'm loading mine up with Grateful Dead hours :smokin:

XM has just announced 2 new players in the XM to Go line that will have MP3 players built in

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/pioneer-inno-xm2go.JPG
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/samsung-helix-xm-satellite-radio.JPG

DenverSock
01-18-2006, 10:21 AM
The XM2Go has a feature that lets you record up to 4 hours of radio. It works like a TiVO and lets you play it back in the gym without reception. Handy feature. I have the same problem with reception in the gym. One of my gyms is in the suburbs (see earlier post.) I get great reception until I walk inside. I still would reccomend an MP3 player for the gym.

Chicken Dinner
01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
XM has just announced 2 new players in the XM to Go line that will have MP3 players built in

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/pioneer-inno-xm2go.JPG
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/samsung-helix-xm-satellite-radio.JPG

Looks like the Samsumg won't be available until sometime this quarter. Can't find much info on the Pioneer.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060104/dcw002.html?.v=38
</IMG></IMG>

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
:threadrules:

Thanks to Fenway and Southside Hitmen for all the info in this thread on MLB.TV. :smile: :hijacked:

I had heard that XM was coming out with a portable player that also had an MP3, but thought it would be a lot longer until it was available. Sweet.

Chez
01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I think my wife is going to buy me the XM2go for my birthday which will be great for baseball since I travel a lot for work. What do people think about the rock/indy music channels for XM? I once rented a car that had Sirius and thought it was great. Any comparisons?

DenverSock
01-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I think my wife is going to buy me the XM2go for my birthday which will be great for baseball since I travel a lot for work. What do people think about the rock/indy music channels for XM? I once rented a car that had Sirius and thought it was great. Any comparisons?

I can only tell you what the salesman who helped us at Circuit City said. He had both Sirius and XM. He said although both radio services classified their music differently, bluntly the quality and the selection were the same. You may find what you want on non-equivalent channels but as you learn what is offerred on which channels, you can navigate as you wish. This is true for me for Jazz, Classical, and News. I chose XM because of MLB Play-by-Play the service which offers the baseball games. Obviously, I'm an out of market fan.

He also said the only substative difference is the exclusive Sports and talk such as Howard Stern of Sirius. Check out the offerings carefully. Make sure you get what you want. NFL is available only on Sirius, which is not important to me. Bluntly, I have XM because of baseball. Even the Jazz stations are merely a bonus. They would come in handy on long Car trips, but I don't take very many of those.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2006, 12:49 PM
...in the house and truck the reception is great -
used as a "walkman" with the stubby clip antenna provided can be a real exercise in frustration at times :mad:
(even outdoors)I bought the headphones with built-in XM antenna, and they are vastly superior to the clip-on antenna. I can't find them on the XM website (which is very hard to navigate, with no search function) so I can't post a link. I did, however, find this review on them: http://radio.about.com/od/satelliteradi1/gr/blXM2goHeadphon.htm

Fenway
01-18-2006, 12:53 PM
I bought the headphones with built-in XM antenna, and they are vastly superior to the clip-on antenna. I can't find them on the XM website (which is very hard to navigate, with no search function) so I can't post a link. I did, however, find this review on them: http://radio.about.com/od/satelliteradi1/gr/blXM2goHeadphon.htm

This is what I use perfect

http://www.myradiostore.us/headphones-speakers/antenna-headphones-xmx2glhp01.html

bayzbol44
01-18-2006, 12:57 PM
The headphones with the antenna and other great XM devices & accessories can be found at www.myradiostore.com (http://www.myradiostore.com). They also have a great messageboard to answer questions you might on XM.

Sad
01-18-2006, 12:58 PM
thanks for the info/ links on the headphones fella's -
I'm going to order me a set...

Fenway
01-18-2006, 01:03 PM
The headphones with the antenna and other great XM devices & accessories can be found at www.myradiostore.com (http://www.myradiostore.com). They also have a great messageboard to answer questions you might on XM.

Last summer I would be working in a fortress like building in River North ( trouble getting FM let alone XM ) these headphones worked fine picking up the XM ground repeater

bayzbol44
01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Fenway, are you my long lost brother? That is weird that we are thinking the same thing 2x in this thread.

NOTE: I named my dog Fenway, does that count for anything? :smile:

Chicken Dinner
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Just bought me the Myfi unit for 120 bucks. Looks like you get a 50 dollars rebate bringing the total to 69 plus 15 bucks to ship. Lowest price I could find. I sure hope Singleton is decent because now I can listen to the gettaway day games.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Delphi-MyFi-Portable-XM-Satellite-Radio-XM2Go-SA10113-1003365790~refer-cnet.com.html

bayzbol44
01-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Just bought me the Myfi unit for 120 bucks. Looks like you get a 50 dollars rebate bringing the total to 69 plus 15 bucks to ship. Lowest price I could find. I sure hope Singleton is decent because now I can listen to the gettaway day games.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Delphi-MyFi-Portable-XM-Satellite-Radio-XM2Go-SA10113-1003365790~refer-cnet.com.html

Wow!!! That is a great price! I paid $300 for mine, when it came out just over a year ago. It is well worth it. I do not leave the house w/o mine.

Fenway
01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Yesterday out of the blue I received TWO replacement batteries from DELPHI for the MyFi as there seems to be an issue with the orginals. Anybody else get this?

DenverSock
01-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Yesterday out of the blue I received TWO replacement batteries from DELPHI out of the blue for the MyFi as there seems to be an issue with the orginals. Anybody else get this?
We got an email from XM telling us to await the replacements and where to go to dispose of the old batteries properly. This happened fifteen seconds after we registered on-line. Still waiting.

BTW, where'd you get the headphone/antenna at that price and is my assumption that the antenna is a powered antenna correct? Thanks in advance.

Sad
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Yesterday out of the blue I received TWO replacement batteries from DELPHI out of the blue for the MyFi as there seems to be an issue with the orginals. Anybody else get this?

mine's a Delphi also - this is news to me...
do you lose your 5 hours of stored music when you replace batteries?

Sad
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM

same unit I have... that's a fine deal!

Fenway
01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
think mine's a Delphi - this is news to me...
do you lose your 5 hours of stored music when you replace batteries?

not if you change it right away

I got my headphones here
http://www.myradiostore.us/headphones-speakers/antenna-headphones-xmx2glhp01.html

Nellie_Fox
01-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I've got the Delphi unit also, and have been awaiting my new battery. I've known about the recall for some time, but they just tell you to sit tight, that the new battery is being sent to all registered owners of the units. There have been a few instances of batteries overheating and melting. I've been using mine for nearly a year without a problem, but I'd still rest easier if I had the new battery.

bayzbol44
01-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I got my battery a few weeks ago. I have had no problems with recording and I am having a lot less lock up issues now.

O N A party rock!

Fenway
01-19-2006, 04:12 PM
letter that came with mine said to go to
www.upgradebattery.com (http://www.upgradebattery.com) or call 1-800-261-7628 if I had questions.

I've got the Delphi unit also, and have been awaiting my new battery. I've known about the recall for some time, but they just tell you to sit tight, that the new battery is being sent to all registered owners of the units. There have been a few instances of batteries overheating and melting. I've been using mine for nearly a year without a problem, but I'd still rest easier if I had the new battery.

steff
01-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Yesterday out of the blue I received TWO replacement batteries from DELPHI for the MyFi as there seems to be an issue with the orginals. Anybody else get this?

I did.

Nellie_Fox
01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
letter that came with mine said to go to
www.upgradebattery.com (http://www.upgradebattery.com) or call 1-800-261-7628 if I had questions.If you call the number, they refer you to the website. The website just says they will be shipped, but no idea of when. It's a tail chase.

Fenway
01-19-2006, 06:10 PM
If you call the number, they refer you to the website. The website just says they will be shipped, but no idea of when. It's a tail chase.

they come in a small envelope from Strong Recall Services Norcross GA

pissonthecubs
01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
I think XM is great. All the music choices along with a lot of sports, including every game from ever MLB team, its pretty cool. It comes in handy for me during the season when we go camping every other weekend and most of the times we are way out of the range of the regular radio, you just turn on the XM and you get crystal clear reception of the whole game with the screen showing you the score, inning and outs. Its a good investment for me.

MySoxAreClean
01-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Xm is awesome for baseball games!!! Its also awesome in general..my dad has had one for a few years but I just got it for christmas and i love it..highly recommend geting the xm to go..you can record but you can also get antenna headphone and take it on the go as well :)I should be part of their PR department

WHO IS ON XM WHITESOX ? HAWK OR FARMER?

Nellie_Fox
01-21-2006, 01:07 AM
WHO IS ON XM WHITESOX ? HAWK OR FARMER?First, turn off the caps lock. There's no need to shout.

XM gives you the radio feed of the home team for each game. So, when the Sox are home, you get Farmer. When they are on the road, you get the other team's feed. It's kind of interesting to get the other announcers' spin on our guys.