PDA

View Full Version : WBC and The Sox!!

ChiSoxIn06
01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Just saw the 42 man roster for the USA for the WBC and no SOX on the team...although i would have loved to see them contribute to the team i am glad that none of them are risking injury by partaking in this event.

MUsoxfan
01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Only two guys are Garcia and Vazquez

TheKittle
01-16-2006, 07:33 PM
The injury factor has been mentioned to death. And while it is different than an All Star game, the biggest being 8 games compared to one game, when was the last time somebody was hurt in the AS game?

I remember when MLB had that stupid skills competition in the late 80's-early 90's. Barry Larkin hurt his elbow and missed a lot of the second half of the season. I believe it was the 89 or 90 AS game.

Of course the GAMBLER Pete Rose running over Ray Fosse and ruining his shoulder but that was in 1970 or 71.

And what difference does it make if a player gets hurt playing in a spring training game, (Griffey, Ventura and a couple others got hurt in spring training) and the WBC? They player is still hurt and could/will miss part of the season.

ilsox7
01-16-2006, 07:35 PM
The injury factor has been mentioned to death. And while it is different than an All Star game, the biggest being 8 games compared to one game, when was the last time somebody was hurt in the AS game?

I remember when MLB had that stupid skills competition in the late 80's-early 90's. Barry Larkin hurt his elbow and missed a lot of the second half of the season. I believe it was the 89 or 90 AS game.

Of course the GAMBLER Pete Rose running over Ray Fosse and ruining his shoulder but that was in 1970 or 71.

And what difference does it make if a player gets hurt playing in a spring training game, (Griffey, Ventura and a couple others got hurt in spring training) and the WBC? They player is still hurt and could/will miss part of the season.

I'd say there is more of a risk for injury or setbacks in the WBC b/c it is not in the middle of the season. Pitchers may not be taking the mound in the proper condition to pitch competitively. Also, if a player is to get hurt, I'd rather it be while under the supervision of the team paying him millions os dollars.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
In this week's S.I. (with Bettis on the cover) writer Albert Chen has a scathing story on the 'farce.' Pgs. 16-17.

His lead-line..'don't be fooled by unsold seats and network apathy, says Bud Selig. The World Baseball Classic will revolutionize the game...'

The story explains Selig could care less that U.S. fans don't want it, his attention is turned to China.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
01-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Good riddance to the WBC.What a joke.:angry: