PDA

View Full Version : Marlins break the bank on Willis

buehrle4cy05
01-16-2006, 05:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2294473

So that's what, 1/4 of their payroll for 2006?

HomeFish
01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
He's worth it.

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 06:10 PM
He's worth it.He'd be worth it at twice the price.

ChiSoxRowand
01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
So is he a free agent at the end of the year?

Fred Manrique
01-16-2006, 07:13 PM
He is worth more and deserves more for having to stick around on such a crap team. Then again he is only 22/23 years old, 4.5 mill should be enough.

Tragg
01-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Excellent move by the Marlins. He sells tickets and is an excellent pitcher.

soxfanatlanta
01-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm glad to see that the Marlins are not completely insane.

ilsox7
01-16-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm glad to see that the Marlins are not completely insane.

Actually, in many ways, they are extremely smart. They didn't have a huge fan base to begin with, so it's not like they are alienating many folks at all. And they are doing the rebuilding thing the right way. In 3-4 years when Cabrera and Willis are in their prime, all of this young talent they have acquired will be maturing and they will be competitive again. It sure as hell beats the mediocrity so many other teams go thru b/c they need to appease a fanbase. Do it the way Cleveland and Florida did it.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-16-2006, 08:10 PM
He'd be worth it at twice the price.
Oh HELL yeah. When I saw "break the bank", my immediate thought was of a multi-year, $10 million-or-so contract.

Why do you suppose the Marlins don't want to lock him up long-term? How many years do they control him before he is a free agent? Even with their likely upcoming move, I would think they'd want him as a cornerstone of the franchise in its new location.:?:

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Oh HELL yeah. When I saw "break the bank", my immediate thought was of a multi-year, $10 million-or-so contract.

Why do you suppose the Marlins don't want to lock him up long-term? How many years do they control him before he is a free agent? Even with their likely upcoming move, I would think they'd want him as a cornerstone of the franchise in its new location.:?:That was my thought, too. Why a one year deal? He's got only 3 years in, so he's not a FA until after 2008, but with another good year he's a cinch to get a hefty raise in arbitration after next season. Why not lock him up with at least a team option for 2009?

veeter
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
He is worth more and deserves more for having to stick around on such a crap team. Then again he is only 22/23 years old, 4.5 mill should be enough.Maybe they're crap now, but give them a couple years. They'll be back.

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Maybe they're crap now, but give them a couple years. They'll be back.Not as long as Loria is running the show.

SoxFan76
01-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Who didn't see this coming? They dumped all that talent to make room for Cabrera and Willis. Like many have already said, give the prospects time to develop (and hell, Cabrera and Willis aren't more than 23 years old) and this team will be back in the World Series picture. They've done it before, folks. More than once.

Soxfanspcu11
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I really don't understand this at all. The Marlins have proven this offseason that they are "unloading" their 2005 team. Some have compared it to the fire-sale that occurred after the 1997 season and World Series win, but it goes deeper then that.

The Marlins have pretty much proved that they do not want to be in Florida much longer, so I would doubt that they care about "fans" and bringing people into the stadium. It seems to me that the Marlins should have just let Willis go to save as much money as possible. They certainly have no intention of competing in 2006, so why not save the money and use that for a fleet of Uhauls to move that team to Vegas or Portland or wherever they end up.

As the article says, the Marlins elected to deal with Willis on a year to year basis, instead of signing him to a long-term deal. When dealing with someone like Willis, it would seem that most teams would want to have him locked up for at least a few years. I have very rarely, if ever heard of a team that wants to sign such a talented player to deals that are year to year, so I guess that could be a sign of the uncertainty that the Marlins organization is facing. But at the same time, as long as they are intent on not competing and trying to relocate, they would be better off just having a team of Triple A players who would be willing to play for the league minimum so that they can stockpile as much money as possible to prepare for their eventual move.

munchman33
01-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Why do you suppose the Marlins don't want to lock him up long-term? How many years do they control him before he is a free agent? Even with their likely upcoming move, I would think they'd want him as a cornerstone of the franchise in its new location.:?:

That's fairly easy to answer: guaranteed money.

If he gets hurt, they don't have to tender him a contract next year. Whereas, if he did get hurt badly, and had a large contract, it would hurt the value of the team and the price the team could sell at.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
That's fairly easy to answer: guaranteed money.

If he gets hurt, they don't have to tender him a contract next year. Whereas, if he did get hurt badly, and had a large contract, it would hurt the value of the team and the price the team could sell at.
I guess it's a crapshoot: he very likely won't get hurt, and if he puts up typical Dontrelle numbers, he'll demand huge money or walk. Without Willis, the team's not as attractive to potential buyers. Isn't this the reason Kenny couldn't pry Griffey Jr. away from Lindner and the Reds?

Tragg
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Who didn't see this coming? They dumped all that talent to make room for Cabrera and Willis. Like many have already said, give the prospects time to develop (and hell, Cabrera and Willis aren't more than 23 years old) and this team will be back in the World Series picture. They've done it before, folks. More than once.
One could argue that they did it once - 2003. Their 1997 team was completely a bunch of hired guns, the precise OPPOSITE approach.

All they really did as far as dumping players of note was to trade Delgado and Beckett. Otherwise, they just didn't sign Burnett (a lot of teams wouldn't have signed him) and they got rid of deadweight (pierre, Lowell). They kept their 2 most promising youngsters.

Cleveland, Oakland and Toronto have used this approach for 5-10 years, and have yet to see a playoff series win. And they are the teams that are good at it,