PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Lorne Brown?

32nd&Wallace
01-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I remember reading that he was in Arizona and that he was still doing voice-over work in Chicago?

Lip Man 1
01-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Actually Lorne lives in New Mexico. I have his e-mail address and am hoping he will consent to a future interview.

In the meantime I have completed and sent along the next WSI Interview to George. It's with a former Sox player from the late 50's / early 60's and am also currently working on making arrangements with a different former White Sox announcer for an interview. If everything works out it would run after the one that I just sent to George.

Lip

32nd&Wallace
01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Former White Sox announcer? Could it be someone who is ready to dish dirt on a present announcer?

Lip Man 1
01-18-2006, 12:53 PM
No.....when I said former announcer I really meant a former announcer from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Lip

Dick Allen
01-18-2006, 01:01 PM
No.....when I said former announcer I really meant a former announcer from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

LipRalph Faucher?

Lip Man 1
01-18-2006, 02:35 PM
LOL!!!

God I remember him. The only reason he was Harry's color' man in 1971 and 1972 was because he was the G.M. of the two FM stations that were carrying the Sox in those days.

But no it's not Ralph Faucher......

And by the way, the deal is set and I interview this former Sox announcer from his home on Saturday, February 4th at Noon Central time.

This one is going to be good!

Lip

TomBradley72
01-18-2006, 03:46 PM

Lip

Lou Brock? Del Crandall? Bud Kelly? Bill Mercer? Mary Shane?

SouthSide_HitMen
01-18-2006, 04:25 PM
LOL!!!

God I remember him. The only reason he was Harry's color' man in 1971 and 1972 was because he was the G.M. of the two FM stations that were carrying the Sox in those days.

But no it's not Ralph Faucher......

And by the way, the deal is set and I interview this former Sox announcer from his home on Saturday, February 4th at Noon Central time.

This one is going to be good!

Lip

Vince Lloyd? Jack Brickhouse? Milo Hamilton?

Hanger is going to freak. LOL

Lip Man 1
01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Tom:

Actually I know Bill... he retired a few years ago from his teaching position at North Texas University. he did play by play for the school and taught broadcasting classes. When North Texas would come to Monroe to play Northeast Louisiana University (now Louisiana-Monroe) we'd get together and talk. He said Harry was a trip!

Southside:

If you have the ability to 'channel' I'd love to get in touch with Jack's spirit! :smile:

Lip

Dan Mega
01-18-2006, 07:29 PM
How do you find all these folks?

SouthSide_HitMen
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Tom:

Actually I know Bill... he retired a few years ago from his teaching position at North Texas University. he did play by play for the school and taught broadcasting classes. When North Texas would come to Monroe to play Northeast Louisiana University (now Louisiana-Monroe) we'd get together and talk. He said Harry was a trip!

Southside:

If you have the ability to 'channel' I'd love to get in touch with Jack's spirit! :smile:

Lip

Duh - I was at the game they honored him (Frank's first game back last season this Memorial Day - I forgot why they did so several years after his death - maybe an anniversary of his first White Sox TV broadcast). I forgot he passed a few years back. Maybe you can channel Bob Elson while you are at it. :tongue: Anyway, I look forward to the interview as always.

TomBradley72
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Tom:

Wasn't he only with Harry for one year? I remember him as being a great partner of Harry's...then he dissappeared...

RadioheadRocks
01-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I remember listening to Lorn Brown on WMAQ and would always chomp at the bit during the Big Payoff Inning where a Sox player would "bat" for a contestant, earning $67 for a single, $167 for a double, $267 for a triple and a Zenith color TV for a White Sox home run. Can't tell you how many postcards I sent in but never got picked, although my aunt got picked once and got a certificate for Glenmark cookout burgers since Jerry Hairston didn't get a hit for her.

mike squires
01-18-2006, 11:56 PM
I remember listening to Lorn Brown on WMAQ and would always chomp at the bit during the Big Payoff Inning where a Sox player would "bat" for a contestant, earning $67 for a single, $167 for a double, $267 for a triple and a Zenith color TV for a White Sox home run. Can't tell you how many postcards I sent in but never got picked, although my aunt got picked once and got a certificate for Glenmark cookout burgers since Jerry Hairston didn't get a hit for her.

AH, I'd forgotten all about that!!! I used to love listening to those. I'd be pulling for the contestent like crazy.

Didn't Del Crandell pass on a few years ago too?

I'm hoping you got in touch with Joe McConnell. For me that would be like reaching into my stocking and finding a forgotten present a month after Christmas, but my gut tells me it was Mary Shane and will have asome juicy stories about Harry and Jimmy!

Realist
01-19-2006, 08:20 AM
I bet it's Harry.

http://ion.gluch.org.mx/data/files/lisa/ouija.jpg

Sox-on-TV44
01-19-2006, 10:55 AM
That must have been in the 80's when Lorn Brown came for his second tour of duty with the Sox.

I have audio tapes from '77 and '78 when they have "The Big Payoff Inning".
In '77 it goes like this:
$50 single
$100 Double
$200 Triple
$500 Home Run (WMAQ must have cried 'mercy' with the Sox in '77 and what they did!)
$1000 Grand Slam
$25 Walk,HBP,safe on error
No hit,walk,HR,etc:Two tickets for a Sox game of thier choice

(Same rules applied in '78.But they did not give away tickets if there was no hit.)

Can't wait for the interview.Looking forward to it!

Lip Man 1
01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Actually I never thought of Mary Shane. That would definitely be an interesting interview. I'll have to see if I can track her down.

Regarding the question of 'how' I contact these folks. It comes down to doing things like looking on the Internet, reading the Chicago newspapers to see if anyone is ever mentioned (for example, Lorn Brown was mentioned in an Ed Sherman column. I know Ed so I asked him if he'd mind sending me Lorn's e-mail address...) and checking with folks that I have already interviewed. Often I'll get a name or two or phone number from a player. He'd have stayed in contact with some of his teammates and so on over the years.

It's kind of like being a detective. And it's gotten to the point now since we have done about 20 or 25 interviews that the word is getting around about WSI, more folks know about the site and are more willing to talk. I have even started getting in touch with MLB clubs themselves and they have been more receptive to it. (Unfortunately the Sox haven't been one of them...at least not yet.)

Lip

RadioheadRocks
01-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Actually I never thought of Mary Shane. That would definitely be an interesting interview. I'll have to see if I can track her down.

Sadly I believe Mary Shane passed away. I remember seeing an obituary for her, I'm guessing around 5 to 7 years ago, but I'm not exactly sure when. Google searches haven't been much help either, I'm afraid.

Lip Man 1
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
That's a shame... she must have passed away fairly young. I never thought she was that good but she deserves credit for being the first female MLB announcer (unlike what your heard on Nightline last year...)

Lip

Fenway
01-19-2006, 06:31 PM
That's a shame... she must have passed away fairly young. I never thought she was that good but she deserves credit for being the first female MLB announcer (unlike what your heard on Nightline last year...)

Lip

checking database at work and have come up with

Boston Globe
July 16, 1993
Gardner will be a trailblazer Aug. 3 when she does play-by-play for a major league baseball game, Reds at Rockies, as a fill-in for Charlie Jones. "They asked Bob Costas first, then me," she said. (The late Mary Shane of Worcester once shared broadcasting duties for a White Sox game on radio.)

Boston Globe
November 4, 1987

Author: Bob Ryan, Globe Staff

http://images.newsbank.com/infoweb/agg/shim.gif
The Celtics, staff members and the entire New England sports journalistic community were saddened to learn that Worcester Telegram reporter Mary Shane had suffered a fatal heart attack in Worcester yesterday morning.

Shane, 39, had covered the Celtics for the past 3 1/2 years and had impressed everyone with her dedication and professionalism. She scored a major coup in the winter of 1986 when Larry Bird broke a long silence by granting her an exclusive interview.

"I am very, very sorry to hear the news of Mary Shane passing away," Bird said. "She'll be missed very much by all of us on the Celtics. We respected her very much for the person she was."

She is survived by her son Patrick, 14.

RadioheadRocks
01-19-2006, 08:26 PM
1987? Didn't realize it was THAT long ago, but I just couldn't remember how long it's been since I saw the obit.

Lip Man 1
01-20-2006, 01:04 PM
The Boston Globe is incorrect. Shane did far more then one White Sox game. She is listed in the media guide as being a regular part of the broadcasts and often worked directly with Lorn Brown. Jimmy Piersall in his interview also mentioned that the two would work on their skills in the stands during spring training by 'broadcasting' from them.

I didn't know Mary was a newspaper reporter. I knew she was a Milwaukee housewife working at a Milwaukee radio station when Charlie Warner 'discovered' her. I'm wondering if this is the same person, Mary Shane would appear to be a fairly common name.

Lip

soxwon
01-20-2006, 07:08 PM
when the sox were rumoured to go to Addison,
they sent coaches and announcers to various establishments in Addison.
I meet Lorne Brown at a bar off of lake street.
He was very cordial and was drinking beers n shots of peach schnops.
he was talking about after Joe Cowley threw a no hitter for us.
He mentioned Cowley was going around saying " hi im joe Cowley- I threw a nohitter"
and several sox players on the team, got really tired and pissed off at the kid.
Lorne was pretty loaded that night, but he was very enjoyable.
Jeff Torborgh or Jim Fregosi was there that night too.
I dont remember who was our manaher then.

Fenway
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I didn't know Mary was a newspaper reporter. I knew she was a Milwaukee housewife working at a Milwaukee radio station when Charlie Warner 'discovered' her. I'm wondering if this is the same person, Mary Shane would appear to be a fairly common name.

Lip

Just discovered I have access to the Tribune. Sadly it was indeed the same person

Author(s):Kenan Heise (javascript:void(0);)Section:CHICAGOLANDPublicatio n title:Chicago Tribune (pre-1997 Fulltext) (http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=318&pmid=33774&TS=1137802807&clientId=11420&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 6, 1987 (http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=572&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD&pmid=33774&pcid=747984&SrchMode=3).

Mary D. Shane, 39, an award-winning and ground-breaking sports writer for the Worcester Telegram in Massachusetts, in 1977 broadcast White Sox games over WMAQ radio and Channel 44. She thus became the first woman play-by-play major league baseball sportscaster in history.
Services for Mrs. Shane, a resident of Worster, will be held Friday in Worcester. She died Tuesday at home of a heart attack.
She told The Tribune's Carol Kleiman in 1977 that she had dreamed of being part of spring training since she was five years old. But, at 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighing 100 pounds, Mrs. Shane did not envison a professional baseball career although she did play softball.
With WMAQ, she was part of a four-member announcing team that she called "a very loose arrangement. We don't even have regular positions. We just have fun."
Other members on the same team were Harry Caray, now the announcer for the http://proquest.umi.com/images/common/circlei3.gifChicago Cubs (javascript:void(0);) and a "big factor" in her getting the job; Lorn Brown; and Jimmy Piersall.
Mrs. Shane, a former schoolteacher, covered sports first for a Milwaukee newspaper and magazine and then for a local news station. In 1977, she was hired by WMAQ Station Manager Charlie Warner for the White Sox. She was in the press box at County Stadium in Milwaukee covering the Brewers when Caray, surprised to see her there, offered his microphone to her. He asked her to do the color commentary for a couple of innings.
A combination of her inexperience and prejudice against her as a woman limited her to brief appearances on 35 local games.
She returned to sports writing. Three years ago, she joined the staff of the Worcester Telegram, where she covered all levels of sports from high school to such professional teams as the http://proquest.umi.com/images/common/circlei3.gifBoston Red Sox (javascript:void(0);) and Celtics. She was the first woman sports writer allowed in the Celtics locker room.
Mrs. Shane won the New England UPI sports story award for her coverage of the last game of the Celtics world championship series.
Survivors include her son, Patrick; her mother, Martha Driscoll; and a brother.