PDA

View Full Version : A New Business to Boycott...

miker
01-16-2006, 12:50 PM
The Chicago-area furniture retailer Walter E. Smithe is running TV ads featuring the Urinal at Clark and Addison. Although in one, they show the Smithe brothers sitting in what looks like blue seats(?).

Since marketing people will tell you that you would rather be popular then a be a winner, I see why they have gone this route. They also probably believe some stereotype that Sox fans don't use furniture...

Nevertheless, I proclaim it as my duty as a Sox fan never to buy furniture from them...ever.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-16-2006, 12:55 PM
The Chicago-area furniture retailer Walter E. Smithe is running TV ads featuring the Urinal at Clark and Addison. Although in one, they show the Smithe brothers sitting in what looks like blue seats(?).

Since marketing people will tell you that you would rather be popular then a be a winner, I see why they have gone this route. They also probably believe some stereotype that Sox fans don't use furniture...

Nevertheless, I proclaim it as my duty as a Sox fan never to buy furniture from them...ever.

I have no use for furniture. I sit, eat, and sleep standing up.

Chicken Dinner
01-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Really, and when was the last time you did buy furniture? I would hope the grocery stores don't advertise using something Cubs....You'd starve!!

WhiteSoxFan84
01-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Really, and when was the last time you did buy furniture? I would hope the grocery stores don't advertise using something Cubs....You'd starve!!

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/content/articles/2004/03/05/news/00lead.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-16-2006, 12:58 PM

:rolling:

Can picture posts qualify for POTW?

itsnotrequired
01-16-2006, 12:59 PM

A bold boycott that is sure to drive them out of business.:tongue:

They do take a slight stab at the Cubs in the commercial where they are at the playoff game. For those that haven't seen it, it shows a shot of the guys sitting in the stands wondering where all the people are for the big playoff game. The camera zooms out and they are at an empty Wrigley Field.:redneck

Granted, it is snowing in the ad so it is an obvious spoof of missing out on the Bears game. Also, the Sox wouldn't be playing anyway if it was snowing, post-season play or not. Still, I thought it was a funny jab.

miker
01-16-2006, 01:05 PM
A bold boycott that is sure to drive them out of business.:tongue:

They do take a slight stab at the Cubs in the commercial where they are at the playoff game. For those that haven't seen it, it shows a shot of the guys sitting in the stands wondering where all the people are for the big playoff game. The camera zooms out and they are at an empty Wrigley Field.:redneck

Granted, it is snowing in the ad so it is an obvious spoof of missing out on the Bears game. Also, the Sox wouldn't be playing anyway if it was snowing, post-season play or not. Still, I thought it was a funny jab.
I looked for a "Tongue-in-cheek" smiley to kind of hint at the futility of a one-person boycott...but I settled for putting this in "What's the Score?"

DumpJerry
01-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I saw the one where one of the brothers is on the tractor mower carving the family name in the outfield grass at The Urinal. They seemed to be happy to be there. I find their ads to be an embarrassment to humanity already, so this does not change my mind.

Bring back Timmy from Long Chevrolet! (NOT).

WhiteSoxFan84
01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
These commericials can't be worse than that idiot plumber that did commericials on Comcast and pretty much made sure no Sox fans asked for his business. The idiot dressed up in Cubs gear and took batting practice off of a "White Sox pitcher" and then dressed up as Ron Santo as a member of the White Sox and oh man I want to puke.

ChiFabulous1
01-16-2006, 02:34 PM

I love Cub Foods.....it sounds like cubs lose.

LongLiveFisk
01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I'll have no trouble participating in your boycott since I don't shop there anyway. :tongue:

Max Power
01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
These commericials can't be worse than that idiot plumber that did commericials on Comcast and pretty much made sure no Sox fans asked for his business. The idiot dressed up in Cubs gear and took batting practice off of a "White Sox pitcher" and then dressed up as Ron Santo as a member of the White Sox and oh man I want to puke.

That guy's business (I won't give him anymore exposure by saying the name) is a block and a half from my parent's house, and where I grew up. We've never used him, but I always figured if I needed some plumbing work done that maybe I'd call him... until I saw those commercials.
Also, what kind of business owner spends money to film and air commercials that have a significant chance of persuading a fair percentage of the audience NOT to use their service? Real smart.

gaelhound
01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
I have no use for furniture. I sit, eat, and sleep standing up.Are you missing the "H" key?

FedEx227
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
**Alert all Cub Foods in the Chicagoland area to step up security and have fire alarms ready Hangar is coming.**

Hitmen77
01-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Speaking of Cubs endorsements. The day after the Sox won the pennant, I was walking downtown and saw one of those bus shelters that had a Bank of America ad that said "proud sponsor of the Chicago Cubs". I just couldn't help thinking how stupid those ads looked in light of the Sox success and Sox fever sweeping the city.

I'm sure BofA is comfortably aware that the Cubs have a huge fan base in Chicago, but still I wondered if they felt a little embarassed to have these huge ads associating their institution with losers.

mccoydp
01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Speaking of Cubs endorsements. The day after the Sox won the pennant, I was walking downtown and saw one of those bus shelters that had a Bank of America ad that said "proud sponsorer of the Chicago Cubs".

Jeers to BoA anyway for saying "sponsorer" instead of "sponsor".

PatK
01-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I saw the one where one of the brothers is on the tractor mower carving the family name in the outfield grass at The Urinal. They seemed to be happy to be there. I find their ads to be an embarrassment to humanity already, so this does not change my mind.

Amen to that!!

Those commercials are painfully unfunny to watch. Anyone that thinks those are funny or creative should be sterilized.

Hitmen77
01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Jeers to BoA anyway for saying "sponsorer" instead of "sponsor".

Nope, jeers to me - that was my mistake. I knew something didn't sound write.:redface:

BeviBall!
01-17-2006, 06:59 PM
You should boycott them because their furniture is crap.

davenicholson
01-17-2006, 08:48 PM

Not to throw a wet blanket on another cubsession thread, but I saw this commercial in a completely different light. Sure, they were sitting in a cold, wintry Wrigley Field, but they were talking about waiting for *The Bears* game to start. I think that one brother mentioned that "...this was the place Dad last took us to watch a Bears game." As it turns out, that was also the last place my father took me to see a Bears game. I was just a little guy, but I still have fond memories of The Kansas Comet!

miker
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Not to throw a wet blanket on another cubsession thread, but I saw this commercial in a completely different light. Sure, they were sitting in a cold, wintry Wrigley Field, but they were talking about waiting for *The Bears* game to start. I think that one brother mentioned that "...this was the place Dad last took us to watch a Bears game." As it turns out, that was also the last place my father took me to see a Bears game. I was just a little guy, but I still have fond memories of The Kansas Comet!
Apparently there are two commercials out there, because the one that inspired my post was one of the brothers mowing the family name into the outfield while an organ played "Take Me Out to The Ball Game" which as any good Cub fan will tell you is a tradition they started!

As for the Bears in Wrigley Field, my dad was a Cardinals fan!