PDA

View Full Version : Report: Sox expressed interest in Prior

Mickster
01-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Here is the LINK (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd6.htm).

:?:

Hangar18
01-16-2006, 08:26 AM
wow. The Cubs wouldve wanted the farm for him ........

Mickster
01-16-2006, 08:32 AM

Actually, this snipped indicates that if the Cubs traded Prior for Tejada, we would have interest in trading for Prior with the Orioles.

HomeFish
01-16-2006, 08:47 AM
It doesn't say who we'd send to Baltimore in exchange. I guess it would have to be a starter of some kind. Maybe Jose Contreras?

In any event, Mark Prior is a power pitcher the likes of which we simply don't have anywhere in our system. He'd be deadly -- if he could stay healthy.

davenicholson
01-16-2006, 08:47 AM

:farmer

No way do we make that trade!

MsSoxVixen22
01-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Here is the LINK (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd6.htm).

:?:

***** we don't need the Messiah! :rolleyes:

Flight #24
01-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Prior + Coop + Hermie = :o:

The guys is ridiculously talented, get him away from Dusty "130, man in my day they used to throw 180" Baker and pair him with an actual high quality pitching coach and a trainer that knows how to keep guys healthy....and you'd have the best pitcher in the league.

itsnotrequired
01-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Prior + Coop + Hermie = :o:

The guys is ridiculously talented, get him away from Dusty "130, man in my day they used to throw 180" Baker and pair him with an actual high quality pitching coach and a trainer that knows how to keep guys healthy....and you'd have the best pitcher in the league.

Agreed. The Sox rotation would be insane with Prior in it. Sox would probably have had to give up a lot to get him though.

Bobby Pigpen
01-16-2006, 11:54 AM
if prior would have gone to the orioles , kenny was waiting in the weeds to make a deal for him. as reported by the boston globe

caulfield12
01-16-2006, 12:05 PM
if prior would have gone to the orioles , kenny was waiting in the weeds to make a deal for him. as reported by the boston globe

They would have asked for something like McCarthy OR Contreras, Cotts and Crede (or Anderson-Sweeney-Valido) I am thinking.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-16-2006, 12:44 PM
This adds more validity to the "Big Idea (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64433)" i think Kenny Williams has planned for the future.

MySoxAreClean
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
This was in today paper , would of been nice http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd6.htm (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd6.htm)

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm glad that didn't happen. I don't care for Prior. I like our rotation just the way it is.

Mickster
01-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey dude, what's the score?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Eh, he would've been okay as a long reliever if he could stay healthy. I don't think he could've made our rotation. :cool:

IlliniSox4Life
01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
If not very much was given up for him, I would love to have Prior. He still has the chance to be a dominant pitcher.

NardiWasHere
01-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm glad that didn't happen. I don't care for Prior. I like our rotation just the way it is.

:?: :o: :rolleyes:

downstairs
01-16-2006, 04:01 PM
If not very much was given up for him, I would love to have Prior. He still has the chance to be a dominant pitcher.

Chance?! I think he's probably in the top 3-4 pitchers in the NL, and some day will be the single best.

I certainly don't like him as a Cub, but lets be honest here...

Red Barchetta
01-16-2006, 04:04 PM
If Garland has another strong year, I can finally put to rest the ghost of Jamie Navarro. I know it wasn't a trade with the Cubs that brought Navarro to the south side, however my Cub fans friends never let me forget that one! God that guy was an absolute cancer and bust!!!

itsnotrequired
01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Chance?! I think he's probably in the top 3-4 pitchers in the NL, and some day will be the single best.

I certainly don't like him as a Cub, but lets be honest here...

Bingo. Despite the injuries (which were "freak", not chronic injuries), he has thrown up impressive numbers. With Coop working on him, this guy would be a champ.

kittle42
01-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Bingo. Despite the injuries (which were "freak", not chronic injuries), he has thrown up impressive numbers. With Coop working on him, this guy would be a champ.
No. He's terrible because he's a Cub and I wouldn't even trade David Sanders for him.

I say in all seriousness that the only Sox pitcher I would even think about *not* trading in a deal for Prior is Mark Buehrle.

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 04:14 PM

I certainly don't like him as a Cub, but lets be honest here...Mark Prior is a very good pitcher, but let's not get carried away. He wasn't even in the top 10 in the NL last year.

Dan Mega
01-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Mark Prior is a very good pitcher, but let's not get carried away. He wasn't even in the top 10 in the NL last year.

No pitcher can be in the top ten after breaking his elbow from a line drive.

I'd take Prior as well over any Sox pitcher besides Buerhle.

SoxFan76
01-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Prior (if healthy) is better than Vazquez and McCarthy...and most likely Garcia. You have to take into account the ERA differences though. A 3.20 ERA in the NL is what..a 3.70 ERA in the AL? That's around the Garcia range. He'd be one hell of a 3rd/4th starter though (Prior).*

And of course, POTENTIALLY Prior would be the hands down ace. However, we all know what potential gets you: Kerry Wood.

*The jury's still out on Garland. In 2005, Garland was the better pitcher. We will see what happens there.

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
It doesn't say who we'd send to Baltimore in exchange. I guess it would have to be a starter of some kind. Maybe Jose Contreras?

In any event, Mark Prior is a power pitcher the likes of which we simply don't have anywhere in our system. He'd be deadly -- if he could stay healthy.
:rolleyes:
Weren't you preaching that "power pitching" nonsense last March?

:dtroll:

Dick Allen
01-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Would the Cubs have really traded Prior to the Sox? I don't think they could have afforded the potential PR backlash after the Sox stole the city from them this past season.

soxfan1983
01-16-2006, 04:29 PM
with all this arm trouble hes going to eventually turn into kerry wood (not saying that wood was ever good or had potential to be good).

im definitely not a fan of prior, personally i think he is overrated just like wood

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Would the Cubs have really traded Prior to the Sox? I don't think they could have afforded the potential PR backlash after the Sox stole the city from them this past season.

It's clearly written in the article that the Sox would go after Prior once the Orioles completed the trade with the Cubs.

sox1970
01-16-2006, 04:39 PM
If Garland has another strong year, I can finally put to rest the ghost of Jamie Navarro. I know it wasn't a trade with the Cubs that brought Navarro to the south side, however my Cub fans friends never let me forget that one! God that guy was an absolute cancer and bust!!!

Doesn't the World Series Championship put to rest the ghost of Jaime Navarro? Tell your Cubs friends to watch ESPN2 on April 2nd when the flag is raised at US Cellular Field.

RallyBowl
01-16-2006, 04:40 PM
:whocares

Mark Prior sucks. He is not better than any one on our rotation.

I'm starting to get sick and ****ing tired of all the bull**** cubs talk ON A ****ING WHITESOX WEBSITE.

:crossdresser

HotelWhiteSox
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
I'd rather keep Contreras compared to what they would have had to give up to get Prior

dickallen15
01-16-2006, 04:45 PM

I'm starting to get sick and ****ing tired of all the bull**** cubs talk ON A ****ING WHITESOX WEBSITE.

I know. The name of the What's the Score section should be changed to Cubs talk.

doublem23
01-16-2006, 04:48 PM

If your Cub fans still give you **** about Jamie Navarro, um, 1908?

EndemicSox
01-16-2006, 04:52 PM

I love the pics, but Mark Prior is a stud when healthy. I'd trade the farm to get him on the Sox. The rumblings about Prior and steroids would worry me a little bit.

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Don't be ridiculous. Prior would fit in with our rotation and the reason why this topic is being discussed is because it is a Sox rumor.

kittle42
01-16-2006, 04:57 PM

In all fairness, this was brought up in the context of a Sox/Orioles speculated trade.

And as to your first line, that's just laughable.

Dick Allen
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
It's clearly written in the article that the Sox would go after Prior once the Orioles completed the trade with the Cubs.Sorry, didn't read it, laziness knows no bounds.:D: Regardless, the Cubs would take a big PR hit. What a shame that would be.

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 05:03 PM
No pitcher can be in the top ten after breaking his elbow from a line drive.

I'd take Prior as well over any Sox pitcher besides Buerhle.2005:
19th in ERA
14th in WHIP
5th in BAA

Those stats don't depend on number of starts and they don't add up to a top 10 pitcher. That's not to say I wouldn't want him on my team, and he still has a chance to be one of the elite pitchers in the NL, but he's not there yet. Which two of these 11 NL pitchers would you NOT choose over Prior?

Dontrelle Willis
Chris Carpenter
Roy Oswalt
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Andy Pettitte
Pedro Martinez
Jake Peavey
John Smoltz
Carlos Zambrano
Josh Beckett

ilsox7
01-16-2006, 05:06 PM
2005:
19th in ERA
14th in WHIP
5th in BAA

Those stats don't depend on number of starts and they don't add up to a top 10 pitcher. That's not to say I wouldn't want him on my team, and he still has a chance to be one of the elite pitchers in the NL, but he's not there yet. Which two of these 11 NL pitchers would you NOT choose over Prior?

Dontrelle Willis
Chris Carpenter
Roy Oswalt
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Andy Pettitte
Pedro Martinez
Jake Peavey
John Smoltz
Carlos Zambrano
Josh Beckett

There you go with your facts again! :cool:

RallyBowl
01-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Don't be ridiculous. Prior would fit in with our rotation and the reason why this topic is being discussed is because it is a Sox rumor.

Yeah, and it's turned into a Messiah love fest. I'm trying to not be ridculous, it's just frustrating to know that we had the best damn pitching staff in the world last year, and some people think Mark ****ing Prior would "fit in" or they would "trade the farm to get him". BULL****. This guy doesn't have better career numbers than anyone on our staff. This trade would have sucked, and that's why Kenny didn't make it.

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 05:19 PM
2005:
19th in ERA
14th in WHIP
5th in BAA

Dontrelle Willis
Chris Carpenter
Roy Oswalt
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Andy Pettitte
Pedro Martinez
Jake Peavey
John Smoltz
Carlos Zambrano
Josh Beckett
Why don't you do a stat comparison for the pitchers you listed above?
Mulder (18th/36th/35th)
Hudson (13th/29th/25th)
Oswalt(7th/22nd/12th) about even with Prior, and I wouldn't take Beckett over Prior because of his blisters.

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 05:22 PM
This guy doesn't have better career numbers than anyone on our staff. This trade would have sucked, and that's why Kenny didn't make it.

Ok, first off there was no formal offer made, so how would you know the trade would've sucked?

Second, better career numbers based on what?

I think Buehrle is the only Sox pitcher that has better overall career numbers better than Prior.

Take off the biased blinders and be rational.

CHISOXFAN13
01-16-2006, 05:22 PM

Pretty funny coming from someone who appears to be Flubsessed after reading your profile.

itsnotrequired
01-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Why don't you do a stat comparison for the pitchers you listed above?
Mulder (18th/36th/35th)
Hudson (13th/29th/25th)
Oswalt(7th/22nd/12th) about even with Prior, and I wouldn't take Beckett over Prior because of his blisters.

Prior also led the league in Ks/9IP last year. He was also 8th in hits/9IP.

I'm not saying he's one of the top 5 guys in the league but he is a steal at the $3.5 salary he got last season.

kittle42
01-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, and it's turned into a Messiah love fest. I'm trying to not be ridculous, it's just frustrating to know that we had the best damn pitching staff in the world last year, and some people think Mark ****ing Prior would "fit in" or they would "trade the farm to get him". BULL****. This guy doesn't have better career numbers than anyone on our staff. This trade would have sucked, and that's why Kenny didn't make it.

I will go so far as to say many (all?) of those here knocking Prior would jump at getting the chance to acquire him if he was a member of any team other than the Cubs.

kittle42
01-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Which two of these 11 NL pitchers would you NOT choose over Prior?

Dontrelle Willis
Chris Carpenter
Roy Oswalt
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Andy Pettitte
Pedro Martinez
Jake Peavey
John Smoltz
Carlos Zambrano
Josh Beckett

Of those listed, I would choose Willis, Oswalt, and Zambrano over Prior. This does not mean that I think Prior is the 4th best pitcher in the NL - but you have to factor in age and potential, as well.

Chisox003
01-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I'd take Prior in a second

Fact is, we didn't get him, and dwelling on/arguing about it is pointless

We got our 6 aces, and spring training starts in what, 32 days?

S06X

RallyBowl
01-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty funny coming from someone who appears to be Flubsessed after reading your profile.

Nice try. How so? Because I have all of 2 references to the cubs without even having the word "cubs" in my profile? *****. This is officially my last post ever on WTS. I'm not even going to read this garbage anymore. It's not worth my time to read about ****ty players on a ****ty team. I AM A WORLD CHAMPION.

But because I'm so obsessed with the cubs, I probably won't be able to resist coming to the best place on the internet for Cubs news and rumors-What's the Score.

munchman33
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
I AM A WORLD CHAMPION.

I'm sorry, this was so completely ridiculous I laughed out loudly.

What were you, the towel boy or something?

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I made a table based on 3 stats Ol' No.2 is using to judge pitchers and averaged the values out.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3816&d=1137459729
Based on this table, Prior ranks head of Oswalt and way, way ahead of Hudson and Mulder.
Care to edit the list of top 10 pitchers?

beckett21
01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I made a table based on 3 stats Ol' No.2 is using to judge pitchers and averaged the values out.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3816&d=1137459729
Based on this table, Prior ranks head of Oswalt and way, way ahead of Hudson and Mulder.
Care to edit the list of top 10 pitchers?

Any way you could translate this into a graph? :redneck

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Care to edit the list of top 10 pitchers?That puts him 9th and only if you weight everything equally and don't factor in health issues. I'd weight WHIP and ERA higher than BAA. And while I didn't include it in my earlier post, you can't ignore his low IP, not all of which was due to getting hit by a line drive. Hudson and Mulder had below-average years, possibly due to adjusting to the new league.

It depends somewhat on whether you're talking about building for 3-5 years into the future or for next year. If it's the former, guys like Smoltz, Pettitte and Martinez look a lot less desirable, but if it's the latter, I'd take any of those three over Prior.

Quibble over details if you want, but he's at best just cracking the top 10, and possibly lower, depending on how you weight all the factors.

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 07:26 PM
That puts him 9th and only if you weight everything equally and don't factor in health issues. I'd weight WHIP and ERA higher than BAA. And while I didn't include it in my earlier post, you can't ignore his low IP, not all of which was due to getting hit by a line drive. Hudson and Mulder had below-average years, possibly due to adjusting to the new league.

It depends somewhat on whether you're talking about building for 3-5 years into the future or for next year. If it's the former, guys like Smoltz, Pettitte and Martinez look a lot less desirable, but if it's the latter, I'd take any of those three over Prior.

Quibble over details if you want, but he's at best just cracking the top 10, and possibly lower, depending on how you weight all the factors.

How did I know you would bring up weighting? That's the stuff stat heads (which you are the total opposite of :smile: )use to get the outcomes they want. Even if one weighs ERA and WHIP, he still would be ahead of Mulder and Hudson.

So what if he's "at best" cracking the top 10 (at best isn't fair to use for Prior in 2005 either?) You said "Those stats don't depend on number of starts and they don't add up to a top 10 pitcher."

So finishing 9th in the NL doesn't "add up" for a top ten pitcher? :kukoo:

Prior's stats before the line drive off his pitching elbow:
4-1, 2.93 ERA, 1.13 WHIP.

I'm one of the biggest cub bashers around who can't stand how often Mark Prior's name and calves get mentioned around here, but I have to give him credit and admit that he is one of the top ten pitchers in the NL.

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
How did I know you would bring up weighting? That's the stuff stat heads (which you are the total opposite of :smile: )use to get the outcomes they want. Even if one weighs ERA and WHIP, he still would be ahead of Mulder and Hudson.

So what if he's "at best" cracking the top 10 (at best isn't fair to use for Prior in 2005 either?) You said "Those stats don't depend on number of starts and they don't add up to a top 10 pitcher."

So finishing 9th in the NL doesn't "add up" for a top ten pitcher? :kukoo:

Prior's stats before the line drive off his pitching elbow:
4-1, 2.93 ERA, 1.13 WHIP.

I'm one of the biggest cub bashers around who can't stand how often Mark Prior's name and calves get mentioned around here, but I have to give him credit and admit that he is one of the top ten pitchers in the NL.Weighting factors makes perfect sense to me. Why should they all count equally? Jose Contreras had a great BAA the middle of last summer while he was walking everyone in sight. He only became effective when he got his BB (and WHIP) down.

Based on 2005 (which was what I was said originally) Prior was not among the 10 best pitchers in the NL. Obviously, there's no objective way to measure that, so other people's opinions might differ, but he's certainly not in the top 3-4, which, if you look back in this thread, was what I was responding to originally.

Fenway
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
from the Boston Globe
Would you believe that the White Sox were hovering on the fringes of the Tejada trade talks, not because of any interest in Tejada but in the hopes that if the Orioles peddled him to the Chicago Cubs for ace Mark Prior, they would have been willing to flip Prior to the crosstown White Sox in a package? . . . Prior insisted at the Cubs' fan convention that he wasn't upset to see his name in trade rumors. ''It would make sense from the standpoint that [GM] Jim [Hendry] wants a shortstop and [Baltimore] needs pitching," Prior said. ''Obviously they're not going to want guys in [Single] A ball and Double A. They want guys ready to pitch right now at the big-league level. If they're going to request me, if it's an honest negotiation, that's part of the business. Now if there is something out there where they are trying to trade me, I would hope somebody would just be honest with me and tell me that. But I don't think that's the case." .

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/15/a_true_big_game_pitcher/?page=full

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 02:30 AM
2005:
19th in ERA
14th in WHIP
5th in BAA

Dontrelle Willis
Chris Carpenter
Roy Oswalt
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Andy Pettitte
Pedro Martinez
Jake Peavey
John Smoltz
Carlos Zambrano
Josh Beckett

Compare him to guys on OUR rotation because that's who he'd be replacing if we traded for him. Don't compare him to the best in the bigs, actually, nevermind, do compare him to the best in the bigs because if he played anywhere else, you'd put him up on that list.

Baby Fisk
01-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I will go so far as to say many (all?) of those here knocking Prior would jump at getting the chance to acquire him if he was a member of any team other than the Cubs.
Having mulled this proposal over for a few days, I feel the opposite. If Prior were to join the Sox and come back to form under the tutelage of Don Cooper, it would be extra sweet because we scooped him up from the Cubs. There are some posters out there who like to remind us that we scooped Garland up from the Cubs. With Prior on the Sox and having a good season, the posts on this board would be very different from most of the ones in this thread: Kenny Williams would once again be a genius, and WhiteSoxFan84 would have every right to rub it in people's faces (but being a gentleman I'm sure he wouldn't :cool: ). Imagine a healthy Prior taking the mound at Wrigley, breathing smoke and ready to dominate, with those big calves of his wrapped in knee-high black stockings. Mercy...

The Critic
01-17-2006, 12:23 PM
[quote = Mark Prior]"Now if there is something out there where they are trying to trade me, I would hope somebody would just be honest with me and tell me that. But I don't think that's the case."

Hmmm....what's not the case? The trade part, or the honesty part?
:D:

samram
01-17-2006, 12:35 PM

That could be and I think people's perspective of Prior has actually been hurt by the fact he was so hyped by the Cubs' marketing machine. I would have taken him in a second on the Sox. The thought of him working with Coop and having a far better training and conditioning staff is pretty appealing.

ChiSoxLifer
01-18-2006, 01:50 AM
If this really happened I'm sure Howry would still say the sCrubs has the better pitching staff. What a tool.

Stoky44
01-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Not True Acording To Mlbtraderumors.com

Mickster
01-23-2006, 02:46 PM

You believe mlbtraderumors.com? :D: :roflmao:

santo=dorf
01-23-2006, 02:47 PM

The next time that loser Cub fan from Lombard gets something right will be the first time.

Ol' No. 2
01-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Not True Acording To Mlbtraderumors.comThat means it was true.

kittle42
01-23-2006, 03:14 PM

Well, that settles it.

Let's ask that sign-language-using ape, too.