PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Offseason move

MattSharp
01-01-2002, 02:55 PM
For the Sox I am talking about....

BEST MOVE:
I think this was the trade(s) that didn't happen. I am so glad the Sox didn't trade Garland and/or Rauch. I think they are their best prospects.

I guess that if it has to be something that happened, re-signing Foulke was prolly the best move.

WORST MOVE:
Hands down the Todd Ritchie deal. Can someone please tell me when it became good to trade two young starters, one of whom wasn't even given a chance yet, and your most reliable reliever/spot stater for a 30-year old pitcher who has only pitched 3 years in baseball and hasn't had a good year?

oldcomiskey
01-01-2002, 03:06 PM
be glad to--Fogg is a career minor leaguer---Lowe had a career year and Wells just plain was not improving at the rate the club wanted him too. I suppose you wish we wouldve signed Giambi, whom we dont need and is way too expensive--or worse stood pat on what we have---well what we have now might beat the Indians and Twins but is not a championship caliber team----even with ritchie----but damnit at least KW is trying---

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 05:36 PM
Many times trades don't get done until Spring Training.I still don't think the Erstad deal is dead yet.Mark that one "To Be Continued".I am also gald Rausch and Garland weren't traded.
Jury's still out on Ritchie.Not happy about giving up Sean Lowe,but KW didn't like him (why,I have no clue) and he will help the Pirates.

Worst move: Reinsdork sitting on his hands,letting KW acquire no free agents at all and expecting the fans to flock to Comiskey. :angry:

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
be glad to--Fogg is a career minor leaguer---Lowe had a career year and Wells just plain was not improving at the rate the club wanted him too. I suppose you wish we wouldve signed Giambi, whom we dont need and is way too expensive--or worse stood pat on what we have---well what we have now might beat the Indians and Twins but is not a championship caliber team----even with ritchie----but damnit at least KW is trying---

lol please. Todd Ritchie is a STIFF. Trading a talented young arm, to get him is stupid.....

oldcomiskey
01-01-2002, 05:59 PM
and which free agents or non free agents would you like to see the Sox aquire and be realistic---Ritchie is not as big a stiff as say James Baldwin and I see his name everywhere here on the I wish we would aquire

and thats not the point anyway BMR---the point is we gave up 3 decent arms to give us depth in the rotation----who would be your starting 5 right now

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 06:18 PM
and which free agents or non free agents would you like to see the Sox aquire and be realistic---Ritchie is not as big a stiff as say James Baldwin and I see his name everywhere here on the I wish we would aquire

and thats not the point anyway BMR---the point is we gave up 3 decent arms to give us depth in the rotation----who would be your starting 5 right now

The point is we gave up potential for a guy who will have an era over 5 every year..... hes AWFUL.

oldcomiskey
01-01-2002, 06:21 PM
and are you psycic---all I know is that we had to make a move---you would have better off to say that we gave up too much for him---that is yet to be seen though as I have already pointed out

Daver
01-01-2002, 06:24 PM
and are you psycic---

Are you implying that Bmr=:cleo ?

oldcomiskey
01-01-2002, 06:26 PM
not at all daver-----Im just saying --and there is nothing wrong with this---that BMR is talking with with his heart--which , like mine is broken every October

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 06:28 PM
and are you psycic---all I know is that we had to make a move---you would have better off to say that we gave up too much for him---that is yet to be seen though as I have already pointed out

umm you dont have to be a psychic to predict how a player will perform. I do it every year in fantasy baseball and i do quite well. Todd Ritchie is always on waivers because he is HORRIBLE. This isnt my opinion or emotional, his numbers prove he SUCKS.

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 06:29 PM
not at all daver-----Im just saying --and there is nothing wrong with this---that BMR is talking with with his heart--which , like mine is broken every October

LOL!!! talking with my heart? the LAST thing i would do is that.......

oldcomiskey
01-01-2002, 06:31 PM
yeah right BMR-----we all know you hate every move the Sox make anyway---if we would get Juan Gonzalez and Giambi youd find something wrong with it---if we won the series youd bitch because we didnt sweep

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 06:33 PM
yeah right BMR-----we all know you hate every move the Sox make anyway---if we would get Juan Gonzalez and Giambi youd find something wrong with it---if we won the series youd bitch because we didnt sweep

excuse me? When have i ever hate any move other than this one? When have i ever even commented on another move?????? I think you have me confused with someone else.

kermittheefrog
01-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

lol please. Todd Ritchie is a STIFF. Trading a talented young arm, to get him is stupid.....

Don't you mean two young arms and one guy who is almost as good as Todd Ritchie?

Bmr31
01-02-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Don't you mean two young arms and one guy who is almost as good as Todd Ritchie?

yeah really. Honestly, i dont know much about fogg. All i know is id much rather take my chances with wells over ritchie, and we gave up lowe and fogg, too.

kermittheefrog
01-02-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

yeah really. Honestly, i dont know much about fogg. All i know is id much rather take my chances with wells over ritchie, and we gave up lowe and fogg, too.

Lowe and Fogg for Ritchie wouldn't have bothered me either. I just meant we did give up Fogg and he's shown some potential. I bet Fogg could be a good #4 or 5 which is exactly what we have in Ritchie. I mean is the difference between Ritchie and Lowe really equal to Wells AND Fogg?

CubKilla
01-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Best off season move..... Signing Keith Foulke. Worst off season move..... seems like I agree with the majority of posters..... Todd Ritchie. I still can't see how this trade will benefit the White Sox. Hopefully KW knows something I don't know.....

:schueler

"I know one thing. He's trading away all MY young talent."

Procol Harum
01-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Good Lord...Christmas is over, it's January in Northern Illinois, and the White Sox are telling us Todd Ritchie is the answer to all our hopes and dreams. No wonder I feel depressed....

czalgosz
01-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Well, when I first heard of the Ritchie trade, I winced, because I thought we gave up an awful lot. But I thought it was just because I was a Sox fan - Maybe Fogg and Kip and Lowe weren't as good as I thought they were. But reading that Baseball Prospectus article made me realize that I was right - it was a lot to give up.

Of course, the trade would have been unnecessary if we still had Mike Sirotka - isn't he supposed to be ready for the 2002 season?

Procol Harum
01-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Given the general karma of the universe surrounding the Sox, we should all see if Vegas has an under/over line on Sirotka for 2002 and bet the over.

Seriously, I would not be at all surprised that--barring the fact that maybe he doesn't come back from the injury--that even with the mighty Blue Jay line-up backing him up Sirotka will outperform Ritchie this year.

nut_stock
01-02-2002, 11:49 AM
The best offseason move was letting Bill Pulsipher and Alan Embree skip town. (Hey, Foulke was ours this year anyway once he went through arbitration)

The worst move is tough, I like the Ritchie trade. (maybe we did give up to much, but none of THOSE 3 should be considered unreplacable, and yes I do think Ritchie is a step up over what we had)
Ok, the worst move actually didn't happen. Im referring to the Erstad deal. That was merely a rent a player since a long term deal was not in the trade. One year and he's gone, while Garland (who I happen to think had the brightest future of any of our Sox pitchers) kills us in Anaheim.

nut_stock
01-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Seriously, I would not be at all surprised that--barring the fact that maybe he
doesn't come back from the injury--that even with the mighty Blue Jay line-up backing him up Sirotka will outperform Ritchie this year.

Sirotka was a better pitcher, I'll give you that, but its not really relevant since Mike was traded for Boomer. Other than all the bitching Mike did after he was traded, I liked him a lot.

Procol Harum
01-02-2002, 04:08 PM
True, Ritchie and Sirotka weren't part of the same deal, but I was thinking of the comparison in a more general "overall balance sheet" sense. And generally, why does that balance sheet always seem to be headed for talent bankruptcy? The Liptak story on the main page which recounts the post-winning season Sox attempts to "strengthen" their teams was a real eye-opener (or, perhaps, a real wrist-slitter)... :whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
01-02-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Good Lord...Christmas is over, it's January in Northern Illinois, and the White Sox are telling us Todd Ritchie is the answer to all our hopes and dreams. No wonder I feel depressed....

I suppose this deal made you turn "A Whiter Shade Of Pale".

Bwahahahahahahaha!! :gulp:

Daver
01-02-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

I suppose this deal made you turn "A Whiter Shade Of Pale".

It might have made him put on his "Homburg"and leave.

:)

Procol Harum
01-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Daver, you continue to amaze with your all-around acumen! Most people I meet my age don't even remember Procol, much less the obscure (in the U.S., at least--went to #3 in the U.K.) ) follow-up to their 1967 mega-hit "A Whiter [Sox] Shade of Pale [Hose]."

Daver
01-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Daver, you continue to amaze with your all-around acumen!

Oh yeah I am a walking repository of useless information,damn shame I don't actually KNOW anything.

SOXSINCE'70
01-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Daver, you continue to amaze with your all-around acumen! Most people I meet my age don't even remember Procol, much less the obscure (in the U.S., at least--went to #3 in the U.K.) ) follow-up to their 1967 mega-hit "A Whiter [Sox] Shade of Pale [Hose]."

So should i have said "Conquistodor"?? :) :) :)

Daver
01-03-2002, 08:23 PM

So should i have said "Conquistodor"??

You probably could have,but it didn't really go with the rest of the post.

:)

But then again what the hell do I know?

SOXSINCE'70
01-03-2002, 08:26 PM
That's why you're so cool,Daver.You make sense out of anything.

LOL!!!! :) :) :) :)

Daver
01-03-2002, 08:37 PM
That's why you're so cool,Daver.You make sense out of anything.

I'm an idiot,ask anyone.

You probably could have used "She wandered through the garden fence"better than "Conquistidor"though.

Procol Harum
01-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Hey, "Conquistador" would've worked--

"Though I hoped for
Something to find,
I could see no
Maze to unwind"

kind of sums up the state of Soxdom these days....But "Repent Walpurgis" might be more efficacious....

Daver
01-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Hey, "Conquistador" would've worked--

"Though I hoped for
Something to find,
I could see no
Maze to unwind"

kind of sums up the state of Soxdom these days....But "Repent Walpurgis" might be more efficacious....

I think that makes you "A Salty Dog"

But then again what the hell do I know?