PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember......

Soxheads
01-01-2002, 01:08 AM
Mike LaValliere? I think he used to play for the Sox.

Daver
01-01-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Mike LaValliere? I think he used to play for the Sox.

Yes,regretfully so,he was terrible.

Soxheads
01-01-2002, 01:15 AM
That is the first non-Current Sox player that I remember.

ihatethecubs
01-01-2002, 01:24 AM
spanky

Pete Ward
01-01-2002, 07:19 AM
Who's better ? Mark Johnson or LaValliere :?:

duke of dorwood
01-01-2002, 10:24 AM
MJ for sure. La Valliere was fat, a fair hitter, had no foot speed, and not good defensively. Kind of the type of guy we like to pick up.

:XL

My type of battery mate

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 12:34 PM
He played for the Sox in '93 and '94,I believe.Was signed midseason in '93 after Ron Karkovice injured his shoulder sliding into 1st trying to beat out an infield hit in Anaheim.

Hope that helps. :gulp:

Huisj
01-01-2002, 03:21 PM
I remember when the sox would play the tigers and be on tv on channel 50 from Detroit here in Michigan, the moron tigers announcers could not say his name right at all. They pronounced it like La-vee-air. It was ridiculous. The old announcers they get on that station are pitiful--they get their old players like george kell and al kaline and put them in the booth and they have no clue. They can't even pronounce the tigers' names right half the time (like Juan Encarson instead of encarnacion, and they always said kepler instead of kapler . . . pretty much any hispanic name confuses them terribly, it's funny . . . although i guess it's better than listening to chip carey say gutierrez and any other hispanic name in his spanish channel imitation voice.)

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
I remember when the sox would play the tigers and be on tv on channel 50 from Detroit here in Michigan, the moron tigers announcers could not say his name right at all. They pronounced it like La-vee-air. It was ridiculous. The old announcers they get on that station are pitiful--they get their old players like george kell and al kaline and put them in the booth and they have no clue. They can't even pronounce the tigers' names right half the time (like Juan Encarson instead of encarnacion, and they always said kepler instead of kapler . . . pretty much any hispanic name confuses them terribly, it's funny . . . although i guess it's better than listening to chip carey say gutierrez and any other hispanic name in his spanish channel imitation voice.)

I don't suppose you've ever heard Harry Caray butcher a hispanic name.Noone was even in his class.You ever hear Jon Miller on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball?? The minute a hispanic player comes to the plate,he'll show off to the listening public that he indeed took Spanish in high school.

LOL!! :gulp:

Champ Summers
01-01-2002, 04:24 PM
As the person whose name they are saying, wouldn't you prefer them to say it correctly? Chimp Carey does suck, but I appreciate it when Jon Miller uses correct pronounciation. I don't have a hispanic name, but I know the pain of being at a game and having your name mispronounced.

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

I don't suppose you've ever heard Harry Caray butcher a hispanic name.Noone was even in his class.You ever hear Jon Miller on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball?? The minute a hispanic player comes to the plate,he'll show off to the listening public that he indeed took Spanish in high school.

LOL!! :gulp:

LOL i hate it when miller does that. Hes WHITE. Why does he have to change his accent to pronounce a hispanic name? In my opinion, he sounds like an idiot when he does that.....

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

LOL i hate it when miller does that. Hes WHITE. Why does he have to change his accent to pronounce a hispanic name? In my opinion, he sounds like an idiot when he does that.....

Please don't think of me as hateful.I just get uncomfortable with Jon Miller rolling his "r's".Next time the Rangers are on SNB,listen to how he pronounces Rafael Palmeiro.
:D:

Bmr31
01-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

Please don't think of me as hateful.I just get uncomfortable with Jon Miller rolling his "r's".Next time the Rangers are on SNB,listen to how he pronounces Rafael Palmeiro.
:D:

lol he sounds like an idiot......