getonbckthr
01-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Baez, Lance Carter and PTBN for Edwin Jackson and Chuck Tiffany

Do the Dodgers dare move Gagne???

KRS1
01-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Baez, Lance Carter and PTBN for Edwin Jackson and Chuck Tiffany

Do the Dodgers dare move Gagne???

Even though EJ really hasnt progressed the way some experts thought he would, which I might add were a little high to begin with, I really dont see much sense in making this trade. It really baffles methe way that LA is historically short fused with their prospects, Paulie and Pedro to name a couple. I would have bet on EJ being very solid in the pen if they would have moved him there, he might have gained a few ticks on his fastball and saved the Dodgers a few million in the short and long.

Chisox003
01-14-2006, 08:17 PM
I like this trade on both ends.

Jackson is young and has a great arm, he might turn into something special (I know, the Dodgers have been waiting for a few years, but he still has some good stuff.)

LA needed some bullpen help, and Baez should be a good setup for Gagne.

buehrle4cy05
01-14-2006, 08:20 PM
A few years down the road, Tampa could be a pretty solid team (Kazmir, Jackson, Crawford, Young, Upton etc.).

Hopefully they'll get some more good prospects for Lugo and Huff.

samram
01-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I like this trade on both ends.

Jackson is young and has a great arm, he might turn into something special (I know, the Dodgers have been waiting for a few years, but he still has some good stuff.)

LA needed some bullpen help, and Baez should be a good setup for Gagne.

Yeah, I like Baez in front of Gagne too. Jackson is a good prospect, but it seemed as if Chad Billingsley had moved ahead of him in the Dodgers' collective mind.

As for LA being historically shortfused with their prospects, I would say that's a phenomenon of the last 8-10 years. From the late 1970s to the mid 1990s, how many ROYs did they have? I remember Karros, Piazza, Mondesi, Nomo, and Hollandsworth won them consecutively from 1992-1996. They also had consecutive winners from 1979-1982 with Sutcliffe, Howe, Valenzuela, and Sax.

Chisox003
01-14-2006, 08:28 PM
A few years down the road, Tampa could be a pretty solid team (Kazmir, Jackson, Crawford, Young, Upton etc.).

Hopefully they'll get some more good prospects for Lugo and Huff.
Don't forget they have Jorge Cantu, Rocco Baldelli, and Jonny Gomes. There's a few other high quality prospects in their system too.

Jump on the bandwagon now ..... Marlins/Drays World Series in 2009?

soxinem1
01-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Even though EJ really hasnt progressed the way some experts thought he would, which I might add were a little high to begin with, I really dont see much sense in making this trade. It really baffles methe way that LA is historically short fused with their prospects, Paulie and Pedro to name a couple. I would have bet on EJ being very solid in the pen if they would have moved him there, he might have gained a few ticks on his fastball and saved the Dodgers a few million in the short and long.

Since the D-rays are real short on SP (actaully short on all Pitching) I think EJ will get every opportunity to start, especially since their top winner had an ERA of almost 6.00. But I agree, the dodgers of the last 10-15 years have had a real short fuse with their crowned jewels, then give a boat load of cash to the walking wounded.

buehrle4cy05
01-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Marlins/Drays World Series in 2009?

It's not out of the realm of possibility, because by then the Marlins will be in the NL West and the Yankees and Red Sox will be old, decrepit teams.

KRS1
01-14-2006, 08:37 PM
It's not out of the realm of possibility, because by then the Marlins will STILL be in the NL West and the Yankees and Red Sox will be old, decrepit teams.

I fixed that one up for you.

buehrle4cy05
01-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I fixed that one up for you.

:cool:Good one.

SABRSox
01-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Colletti worked under Brian Sabean, who would just give draft picks away. This isn't shocking at all. The Dodgers will quickly become the new San Francisco Giants.

Tekk
01-14-2006, 10:16 PM
The Devil Rays have a nice lineup, but their starting rotation is horrid. Kazmir is good but the rest of their starters couldn't fill the 5th starters roll on most teams.

ZachAL
01-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Am i the only one who thinks this trade is terrible for the DRays in the terms of it's too little too late. Many of the writers were extremely critical of tampas inability to trade Baez by the deadline last year when some teams were desperate, it could have been one of the most scrutinized non-moves. They could have gotten a good, legit veteran player to try and become a serious team they could build with all those young guys as well. They traded two all-stars for prospects who have by now not lived up to expectations (not saying they wont, but that's a big gamble it seems). It just seems like they really missed the boat and could have gotten a higher caliber player last year midseason for baez but they were way too hardheaded.

KRS1
01-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Am i the only one who thinks this trade is terrible for the DRays in the terms of it's too little too late. Many of the writers were extremely critical of tampas inability to trade Baez by the deadline last year when some teams were desperate, it could have been one of the most scrutinized non-moves. They could have gotten a good, legit veteran player to try and become a serious team they could build with all those young guys as well. They traded two all-stars for prospects who have by now not lived up to expectations (not saying they wont, but that's a big gamble it seems). It just seems like they really missed the boat and could have gotten a higher caliber player last year midseason for baez but they were way too hardheaded.

The Rays got two solid young arms in this deal, for a one time default all-star and a closer who is a FA after this year. I'd say they made out pretty well in this deal. Worst case senario, EJ moves to the pen, and with his stuff he could be very dominating at the end of ball games, and Tiffany eats up innings for their staff because they really have no staff to speak of.

Tragg
01-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Colletti worked under Brian Sabean, who would just give draft picks away. This isn't shocking at all. The Dodgers will quickly become the new San Francisco Giants.
From 1997-2004, all winning seasons, a few playoff appearances a WS appearance. Better than most.

The Dodgers have good chance to win a bad division next season; I can see why they'd use a few players in what is reputably a stocked farm system.