PDA

View Full Version : Bob Howry still a bitter idiot

doublem23
01-14-2006, 02:15 PM
The Loser Caravan rolled through Peoria last week. New Cub gascan, Bobby Howry had this to say about the Sox,

Howry, a former White Sox reliever, is learning about life on the North Side.

"You mean the popular sidc?" [sic] he joked. "I'm happy for (the White Sox) that they won it all. But it's still a Cubs town. I saw the celebration they had and the people who showed up. I can hardly imagine what would happen if the Cubs won it. I would love to be a part of that."

from the Peoria Journal-Star (http://pjstar.com/stories/011306/MLB_B8MBVK2A.077.shtml)

But I'm sure he was just "baited" by someone, right Lip, so it's OK? :rolleyes:

NSSoxFan
01-14-2006, 02:17 PM
This whole new approach that the Cubs organization has is kinda cute. No, actually.....it's kinda sad. Good ol' Gas Can Bobby!

C-Dawg
01-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, if Bobby is really interested in winning any kind of championship, he certainly picked the wrong place to pursue it!

soxwon
01-14-2006, 02:25 PM
wait till we kick his ass around wrigley and the cell.

FielderJones
01-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I can hardly imagine what would happen if the Cubs won it.

No one can imagine that, any more than they can imagine the Cubs having more wins than losses in 2006.

MadetoOrta
01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
For an organization whose fans "don't give any thought to the Sox" they sure spend a lot of time talking about us. Kinda pathetic actually.

jamokes
01-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Bob Howry and Scott Eyre are true gas cans....besides as long as Dusty is running the show , Sox fans have NOTHING to worry about.:o:

veeter
01-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Bob Howry and Scott Eyre are true gas cans....besides as long as Dusty is running the show , Sox fans have NOTHING to worry about.:o:So true. The thought that the cubs are actually counting on these two, to be a HUGE part of some sort of improvement, is hilarious. Howry was on the score the other day, and man, is he lacking any sort of personality at all. What a jerk.

soxwon
01-14-2006, 03:10 PM
No one can imagine that, any more than they can imagine the Cubs having more wins than losses in 2006.

in all honesty the Cubs have improved,
adding howry and eyres, pieere, jones & grissom.
they will be better, maybe 85 wins

NSSoxFan
01-14-2006, 03:21 PM

:rolling:

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Haiku for the delusional? :?:

Palehose13
01-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Hmmmmm...I thought those guys didn't care about us.

See, if one if truly secure they don't feel the need to say stuff like the cubs are currently saying. Kinda like they way they were a few years ago. Things have changed, they know that, and now they are insecure. Only the insecure feel the need to keep ripping on the other side.

WSox8404
01-14-2006, 03:43 PM
My question is why Howry is so ticked off at us anyway. I can't seem to remember just what exactly happened to make him this angry with the Sox.

Hitmen77
01-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Howry, a former White Sox reliever, is learning about life on the North Side.

"You mean the popular sidc?" [sic] he joked. "I'm happy for (the White Sox) that they won it all. But it's still a Cubs town. I saw the celebration they had and the people who showed up. I can hardly imagine what would happen if the Cubs won it. I would love to be a part of that."

Yeah, he saw that little celebration the Sox had where a few (1.7 million:bandance: ) people showed up. It was laughable really because all that matters is that the Cubs would have more people if they won. Idiot.

Hmmmmm...I thought those guys didn't care about us.

See, if one if truly secure they don't feel the need to say stuff like the cubs are currently saying. Kinda like they way they were a few years ago. Things have changed, they know that, and now they are insecure. Only the insecure feel the need to keep ripping on the other side.

Bingo!

Seems like I hear Cub players talking more about the Sox than the Cubs nowadays. What's the opposite of Cubsession? Would it be Soxcession?

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 03:49 PM
My question is why Howry is so ticked off at us anyway. I can't seem to remember just what exactly happened to make him this angry with the Sox.
He doesn't have to be mad at the Sox. It's possible he's just an idiot trying to endear himself to his new idiot fanbase.

WSox8404
01-14-2006, 03:54 PM
He doesn't have to be mad at the Sox. It's possible he's just an idiot trying to endear himself to his new idiot fanbase.

Yeah but he was saying crap when he was with Cleveland also.

Chisox003
01-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Seems like I hear Cub players talking more about the Sox than the Cubs nowadays. What's the opposite of Cubsession? Would it be Soxcession?
Soxation? (Fixation)

Soxination? (Fascination)

Addicted to.....Soxtasy? (Ecstasy)

Howry = Puhleeeease :rolleyes:

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah but he was saying crap when he was with Cleveland also.
Second verse, same as the first...

WSox8404
01-14-2006, 04:03 PM

Touche...

NSSoxFan
01-14-2006, 04:07 PM
KW could easily remind Gas Can why he hasn't been on the White Sox since the '02 season. Does KW like wasting his time throwing out garbage? I know I don't...

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-14-2006, 04:51 PM
"I would love to be a part of that."

Too bad you never will...

SOXSINCE'70
01-14-2006, 05:09 PM

And they will STILL miss the playoffs!!:roflmao: :roflmao:

FarWestChicago
01-14-2006, 05:30 PM
:gascan

Whaaaaa! The Sox won the Series! :whiner: :whiner:

buehrle4cy05
01-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Only the insecure feel the need to keep ripping on the other side.

:)Excellent.

batmanZoSo
01-14-2006, 05:59 PM
We all look forward to seeing the Sox wail on Howry come June. I'd love to be a part of that. :thumbsup:

Cuck the Fubs
01-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Just wait till you guys read what he said in the Sunday Suntimes!!!!!!

"The Cubs pitching staff has 4 #1 starters and are better than the Sox staff, even more so because the Sox guys had career years!"

Wow do the Cubbies ever have Da Sox on the brain!!

I'm loving it!

DMarte708
01-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow, I logged onto WSI expecting another quote I found this morning. Here's another equally telling excerpt which suggests our WS win is eating him up.

Asked how the Cubs' starting pitching compared with the Sox's rotation that dominated the postseason a year ago, Howry said the two do not compare.
"They don't have four No. 1 [starters]," Howry said of the Sox. "Not to take anything away from them; they pitched great last year. But they had some guys that put up career years. If you look at guys who put up numbers consistently year after year and have the stuff ... that staff doesn't match up with this one. When both staffs are healthy, I think our staff takes the cake."

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/pro/350193287697726.php

RadioheadRocks
01-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Just wait till you guys read what he said in the Sunday Suntimes!!!!!!

"The Cubs pitching staff has 4 #1 starters and are better than the Sox staff, even more so because the Sox guys had career years!

He actually said that with a straight face??? ROFLMFAO!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

DMarte708
01-14-2006, 08:21 PM
He actually said that with a straight face??? ROFLMFAO!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
HEY, Howry may have meant our staffs don't match up in simulated starts. Prior and Wood have mastered the art of throwing a towel and dominating minor league talent.

kittle42
01-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Howry failed to mention how his expert relief pitching will keep those vaunted starters of his from reaching double-digit victories.

soxfanatlanta
01-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Asked how the Cubs' starting pitching compared with the Sox's rotation that dominated the postseason a year ago, Howry said the two do not compare.

"They don't have four No. 1 [starters]," Howry said of the Sox. "Not to take anything away from them; they pitched great last year. But they had some guys that put up career years. If you look at guys who put up numbers consistently year after year and have the stuff ... that staff doesn't match up with this one. When both staffs are healthy, I think our staff takes the cake."

Oh, where do I start?

"When both staffs are healthy...", Since the Flubbies staff is rarely healthy for an entire year, we shall never know, will we?

"...that staff doesn't match up with this one...", yes he is correct. The Flubbies staff never pitched 4 complete games in any playoff series, or even a regular season series since when? Who was president, John Quincy Adams? Geez does anyone know here?

"I think our staff takes the cake.", you can have all the cake you want, bubba, our staff will just have to settle for a ring, and a slice of baseball imortality. (yeah, bring on the cheese)

I don't know the personal history between Howry, and KW, but why not do the talking on the field? Oh, that's right - by the time he gets into the ballgame, all the Flubs fans are too drunk to know any better.

Damn, that was bitter.

:dtroll:

Corlose 15
01-14-2006, 08:52 PM

I'M HENRY THE 8TH IAM, HENRY THE 8TH I AM I AM..........:D:

RadioheadRocks
01-14-2006, 08:53 PM
HEY, Howry may have meant our staffs don't match up in simulated starts. Prior and Wood have mastered the art of throwing a towel and dominating minor league talent.

Yep, gotta love all those SIMULATED games Prior and Wood pitched for the Cubs! Kinda reminds me of those old Cubic Zirconia commercials from the late 70s-early 80s ("lovely, isn't it... but is it Real???"). Hey if all else fails, maybe they could get jobs as "pitchmen" for the Home Shopping Network! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

santo=dorf
01-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Wow, I logged onto WSI expecting another quote I found this morning. Here's another equally telling excerpt which suggests our WS win is eating him up.

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/pro/350193287697726.php
I think it is very obvious that Bob Howry posts on the Cubs' MLB message board. The "when healthy" line bull**** is the clincher. :dtroll:

Soxfanspcu11
01-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Obviously, some players have bad experiences in cities and with teams for a variety of reasons, but something happened to this ass clown when he was with the Sox that really must have rubbed him the wrong way. Something that was obviously a little deeper then him just sucking.

Who knows what it was, but the guy seems very upset about it. And the fact that he has not pitched for the Sox in over 3 years really makes me think that it was something "personal", as opposed to something that was "professional". What I mean is I think something happened to this guy as a member of the Sox that was more then just, not being happy with his playing time, not liking his contract, struggling on the field, having a bad relationship with the fans, etc.

Maybe he walked in on his girlfriend or wife having sex with Mayor Daley or JR or something. His hatred for the Sox goes above and beyond just being unhappy with his time on the South Side.

mike squires
01-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Bobby gave my little girl 1 1/2 at the time her first big league ball. Can't say anything bad about him. He was always people friendly and didn't have a big league ego. Now she calls it her "Bobby Ball."

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
...something happened to this ass clown when he was with the Sox that really must have rubbed him the wrong way. Something that was obviously a little deeper then him just sucking...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3811&stc=1&d=1137301440
"Mr. Howry, using this bobblehead, please show the court where Mr. Reinsdorf touched you."

slavko
01-14-2006, 11:11 PM
He was just getting it (throwing strikes) figured out before we traded him to Boston. Since then he has had surgery, regained his velocity, and pitched very for well Cleveland last year. Like 45 hits in 75 innings.

Still, he is a bitter man who is sucking up to Cub fans. The same fans who after a few bad outings will be going at his throat. Lotsa luck, Bobby.

TornLabrum
01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
He was just getting it (throwing strikes) figured out before we traded him to Boston. Since then he has had surgery, regained his velocity, and pitched very for well Cleveland last year. Like 45 hits in 75 innings.

Still, he is a bitter man who is sucking up to Cub fans. The same fans who after a few bad outings will be going at his throat. Lotsa luck, Bobby.

Only the sober ones who know anything about baseball.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Only the sober ones who know anything about baseball.
Everyone else will think he's Lee Smith. :redneck

buehrle4cy05
01-15-2006, 12:21 AM

"I've been eating since six AM! For breakfast I think I'll have dinner again! My name's synonomous with gluttony...I always have a turkey or a ham!"

And by the way, Bobby:
WORLD SERIES ****ING CHAMPIONS.

1951Campbell
01-15-2006, 12:32 AM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7451/capthta17310270441worldseriesh.jpg

Dear Bobby,

I don't see your owner, GM, or manager in the above picture. In fact, I'm looking at that World Series trophy and thinking "man, that's gonna hurt on it's journey to 'where the sun doesn't shine on Bobby Howry.'" As your attorney, I'd advise you to cash your paycheck, get used to the losing, and shut the **** up.

Yours,

1951Campbell

J Co
01-15-2006, 01:30 AM
The same fans who after a few bad outings will be going at his throat. Lotsa luck, Bobby.

It will be fun watching cub fans turn on him sometime in early May

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Michael Barrett? Bob Howry? Joe Schmoe?

We are giving these nobodies wwaaayyyy too much attention. Until the establish themselves as well known major leaguers who can walk the walk and not just talk the talk, let them chirp all they want.

By caring as much as some of you are, we are making it worthwhile for more nobodys to come and say stupid things to land them in the newspapers.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_111072.jpg
"The Southsiders didn't beat us, so how can they call themselves WORLD Champions? Don't they know that every year the World Series goes through the northside??"

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Howry said. He plays for the Cubs, he should be pumping their product up in the media and his own mind. Like it or not Chicago is still a Cubs town. If the Cubs won the WS,(it would take a series of plane crashes to occur) the coverage and the parade would be unbearable to any reasonable fan who doesn't care for them. Give Howry a break, the guy is a class act.

soxinem1
01-15-2006, 08:33 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Howry said. He plays for the Cubs, he should be pumping their product up in the media and his own mind. Like it or not Chicago is still a Cubs town. If the Cubs won the WS,(it would take a series of plane crashes to occur) the coverage and the parade would be unbearable to any reasonable fan who doesn't care for them. Give Howry a break, the guy is a class act.

My how the tables have turned! It seems just yesterday that fans of 'The men(?) in blew' used to say 'Sox fans should not be so concerned about our team, they should worry about theirs and go to the games) was ages ago. Now these bonehead know-nothings want to lash out at us because we win the World Series? Putzes!

Howry should take a trip down Memory Lane. I remember twice in 2000 that Howry twice turned two-out/nobody on 2-3 run Sox leads into losses. He couldn't be trusted to close, so Manuel pulled him, moved him to set up. When he couldn't do that, he got moved to the middle. When he couldn't do that, he got moved to mop up. He was throwing a very straight 84 MPH with a flat slider when they traded him. Instead of sending him to AAA they let him work out his issues in the bigs. And for that he keeps laying it on the Sox?

I don't mind the rivalry thing, and when players get into it like fans that's okay. But to disrespect the other team with hypocrisy to boot, it'll be fun watching Howry with his 6.12 ERA in June, after our Sox raise it themselves about two runs per game.

I wish he would bat in that series!

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 09:19 AM
My how the tables have turned! It seems just yesterday that fans of 'The men(?) in blew' used to say 'Sox fans should not be so concerned about our team, they should worry about theirs and go to the games) was ages ago. Now these bonehead know-nothings want to lash out at us because we win the World Series? Putzes!

Howry should take a trip down Memory Lane. I remember twice in 2000 that Howry twice turned two-out/nobody on 2-3 run Sox leads into losses. He couldn't be trusted to close, so Manuel pulled him, moved him to set up. When he couldn't do that, he got moved to the middle. When he couldn't do that, he got moved to mop up. He was throwing a very straight 84 MPH with a flat slider when they traded him. Instead of sending him to AAA they let him work out his issues in the bigs. And for that he keeps laying it on the Sox?

I don't mind the rivalry thing, and when players get into it like fans that's okay. But to disrespect the other team with hypocrisy to boot, it'll be fun watching Howry with his 6.12 ERA in June, after our Sox raise it themselves about two runs per game.

I wish he would bat in that series!

How is he laying it on? Is it against White Sox fan's code for any player that isn't playing for the White Sox to think their team is good? He said nothing offensive. Is he supposed to say the Cubs are awful, or when he was in Cleveland was he supposed to say the White Sox are clearly better than us? My God, go back a year or so and you will see thread upon thread ripping the White Sox to shreads on this board. Chicago is still a Cubs town. As sad as it seems, if they won the WS it would be crazier than it was when the White Sox won. Those who don't believe that are fooling themselves.

Flight #24
01-15-2006, 09:23 AM
If you look at guys who put up numbers consistently year after year and have the stuff ... that staff doesn't match up with this one. When both staffs are healthy, I think our staff takes the cake."

Hmmm.....let's look at those number being put up "consistently".
- Would those be of Kerry "Balsa" Wood, who consistently hits the DL and has never won 15 games?
- Would those be of Mark Prior, who's been in the bigs all of 3 years and had 2 of those 3 cut short with injury?
- Would those be of Carlos Zambrano and his 3 years in the bigs (that would be legit).....or Mark Buehrle who's pitched excellently for about twice that long?
- Or Greg Maddux, who does have a long history of excellence, of course at age 912, it's a bit much to expect him to maintain that once the slide has begun.

Howry's an idiot. At least he seems to consistently be an idiot.

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Hmmm.....let's look at those number being put up "consistently".
- Would those be of Kerry "Balsa" Wood, who consistently hits the DL and has never won 15 games?
- Would those be of Mark Prior, who's been in the bigs all of 3 years and had 2 of those 3 cut short with injury?
- Would those be of Carlos Zambrano and his 3 years in the bigs (that would be legit).....or Mark Buehrle who's pitched excellently for about twice that long?
- Or Greg Maddux, who does have a long history of excellence, of course at age 912, it's a bit much to expect him to maintain that once the slide has begun.

Howry's an idiot. At least he seems to consistently be an idiot.

I think the Sox staff is better but the only consistent starter in the White Sox rotation the last 3 or 4 years has been Buerhle. Contreras, Garland, Vazquez have had stretches of being absolutely brutal. And Garcia has had his problems, although not as much as the others. I would take Zambrano over any White Sox pitcher. I would take Prior over any Sox pitcher except Buerhle.

TomBradley72
01-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I think the Sox staff is better but the only consistent starter in the White Sox rotation the last 3 or 4 years has been Buerhle. Contreras, Garland, Vazquez have had stretches of being absolutely brutal. And Garcia has had his problems, although not as much as the others. I would take Zambrano over any White Sox pitcher. I would take Prior over any Sox pitcher except Buerhle.

I'll give my props to Zambrano...and since he's still relatively young...I'll give them to Prior based on potential. But after that the Cubs' 3-5 starters are:

Kerry Wood- 29 yrs old, 7 MLB seasons, never more than 14 wins
Greg Maddux- 40 yrs old, coming off a 13-15, 4.24 year
Glendon Rusch- 31 yrs. old, Career Record = 57-86,4.88

Assuming Buehrle and Conteras are our #1 and #2....compare them to (keeping in mind that AL ERA's are in general a full run higher than the NL):

Freddy Garcia- 30 yrs. old, 99-62, 3.88 ('05 not a career yr., 14 wins was 4th best year of his career)
Jon Garland- 27 yrs. old, coming off 18-10, 3.50 (was his career year to date)
Javier Vasquez- 30 yrs. old, 89-93, 4.28 (should be an upgrade from El Duque)

GoSox2K3
01-15-2006, 12:42 PM

:hawk "Your what hurts?!"

I'm sorry, but that total B.S. Last I heard, Howry is getting paid to pitch of the Cubs, not be their anti-Sox mouthpiece. What is this, the 3rd or 4th quote we've heard from him putting down the Sox since joining the Cubs? I've heard him talk about the Sox more than the Cubs for crying out loud!! Sounds like a bitter sore loser to me. Total class act? *****!

And don't even get me started on that bull**** talk about if the Cubs had a World Series parade then it would have been better than the Sox's parade. The Sox parade drew 1.7 million fans. That's phenomenal - the biggest parade ever in Chicago - bigger than the Bears or Bulls' parades and any attempt to diminish it by bringing up some BS about "oh yeah, well the Cubs' parade would have been bigger" is just stupid loser talk on Howry's part.

- rant over.

robertks61
01-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Cubs' parade

We'll never see it, screw Bobby!

GoSox2K3
01-15-2006, 12:49 PM

I would take Buehrle over any Cubs pitcher. He's just a stud and has a great attitude - and we shouldn't downplay the intangible of his team attitude.

After that, admittedly, I would go with Prior and Zambrano.

But, after that, I'd take Garland, Contreras, and McCarthy over anything the Cubs have. Would you trade any of those 3 straight up for Wood? I wouldn't given Wood's arm troubles? Would you trade any of them straight up for Rusch? I wouldn't. Vazquez is still too much of a question mark for me.

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say JG and JC have been "absolutely brutal" during stretches. If I had to choose, I'd also be willing to bet that these 2 pitchers finally reached their potential last year rather than a fluke good stretch for pitchers that could return to "brutal" at any time. The history and career paths of these pitchers would indicate the former over the latter. Of course, only time will tell what really happens with them in '06.

SOXSINCE'70
01-15-2006, 01:20 PM

:hawk
"I looooooove Herman's Hermits".

:farmer
"I'm a bigger fan of 'Mrs.Brown,You've Got A Lovely Daughter' ".:D:

Lip Man 1
01-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I think Howry is wrong and I think the Sox have a better staff simply because unlike the Cubs, they actually stay healthy and pitch, but the fact remains that Contraras and Garland may have had 'career' years.

We'll have to see.

Now Buehrle and Garcia have been consistent winners for years.

Lip

soxinem1
01-15-2006, 03:42 PM
How is he laying it on? Is it against White Sox fan's code for any player that isn't playing for the White Sox to think their team is good? He said nothing offensive. Is he supposed to say the Cubs are awful, or when he was in Cleveland was he supposed to say the White Sox are clearly better than us? My God, go back a year or so and you will see thread upon thread ripping the White Sox to shreads on this board. Chicago is still a Cubs town. As sad as it seems, if they won the WS it would be crazier than it was when the White Sox won. Those who don't believe that are fooling themselves.

Because if he's supposedly a professional he should be talking about how optimistic he is for the cubs 2006 season, and that he'll do anything he can to help them be successful. He shouldn't care about the Sox. If he wants to get into the rivalry, that's okay. But for him to get into the whinny "we're better on paper' BS, he sounds just like a cub fan.

The question that should have been asked to Howry was "Why did you abandon the team (Cleveland) that rehabbed you, gave you a chance, helped you achieve success again, then flee to some perennial also ran for more money?'

I'd like to see his stupid answers is then.

If history keeps up, Howry will be joining Prior and Wood in league leading ERA during simulated games and minor league rehabs, anyway.

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Because if he's supposedly a professional he should be talking about how optimistic he is for the cubs 2006 season, and that he'll do anything he can to help them be successful. He shouldn't care about the Sox. If he wants to get into the rivalry, that's okay. But for him to get into the whinny "we're better on paper' BS, he sounds just like a cub fan.

The question that should have been asked to Howry was "Why did you abandon the team (Cleveland) that rehabbed you, gave you a chance, helped you achieve success again, then flee to some perennial also ran for more money?'

I'd like to see his stupid answers is then.

If history keeps up, Howry will be joining Prior and Wood in league leading ERA during simulated games and minor league rehabs, anyway.

The White Sox are World Champions. Every team is going to be comparing themselves to them, and probably comparing themselves favorably. As to your complaining he left a team for more money, so what.

RadioheadRocks
01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Give Howry a break, the guy is a class act.

Care to back up that statement with some examples? His idiotic quote is a perfect example of why he ISN'T a class act, that's for sure. If anything he's proven that he has never learned one of life's most important lessons... "Better to be thought a fool and say nothing than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

kevin57
01-15-2006, 07:09 PM
The only thing I like about Howry's statements is that they are sure to invite a response from some Sox player.

I predict the opening salvo will come from Ozzie...and when Ozzie comments on the Cubs (again), they won't be able to print it in the Cubune.

Let's see how Howry reacts to some fire and brimstone from Oz.

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Care to back up that statement with some examples? His idiotic quote is a perfect example of why he ISN'T a class act, that's for sure. If anything he's proven that he has never learned one of life's most important lessons... "Better to be thought a fool and say nothing than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I have actually dealt with him personally. A close friend of mine has done financial work for him. There is a mention of his thoughtfulness on this board. Hawk has raved about him and his wife a ton, even when he was playing for Cleveland. Does anyone know the exact question that was asked of him? Was he asked to compare the Cubs staff with the Sox staff? The guy plays for the Cubs, spring training is starting soon. Is he supposed to say the Sox staff is the best of all time, nobody can touch them, or is he supposed to be a good teammate and talk up his team? Only White Sox fans can complain about someone's quote when it included he was happy for the White Sox that they won it all. The Sox won it all, lets get the chips off our shoulders. Chicago is a Cubs town. Who cares.

RadioheadRocks
01-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I have actually dealt with him personally. A close friend of mine has done financial work for him. There is a mention of his thoughtfulness on this board. Hawk has raved about him and his wife a ton, even when he was playing for Cleveland. Does anyone know the exact question that was asked of him? Was he asked to compare the Cubs staff with the Sox staff? The guy plays for the Cubs, spring training is starting soon. Is he supposed to say the Sox staff is the best of all time, nobody can touch them, or is he supposed to be a good teammate and talk up his team?

Last time I checked, there was a difference between an individual talking up his team and talking down someone else's team.

And with all due respect, how many times are you going to keep reiterating about Chicago being a CUBS town on this thread?

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Last time I checked, there was a difference between an individual talking up his team and talking down someone else's team.

He said his team has 4 #1 starters, and said the Sox don't. I don't think the Cubs have 4 #1 starters, and apparently neither does anyone on this board. I don't think the White Sox have 4 #1 starters either, and that's not talking them down. He said the Sox pitched great last year, but thought guys had career years. There is nothing wrong with what he said. I don't agree with his assessment of the respected pitching staffs, although I hope KW does some more work on the bullpen, but he hardly can be blamed for being optimistic about the team he plays for.

TomBradley72
01-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Chicago is a Cubs town. Who cares.

I don't think it is anymore....it will be interesting to the dynamic as the 2006 season unfold. Just because Bobby has a nice wife and has done nice things deosn't necessarily mean he's not a tool. This is at least the 3rd time he has shot his mouth off ...once late in the season while with the aTribe...now twice since the Cubs signed him.

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't think it is anymore....it will be interesting to the dynamic as the 2006 season unfold. Just because Bobby has a nice wife and has done nice things deosn't necessarily mean he's not a tool. This is at least the 3rd time he has shot his mouth off ...once late in the season while with the aTribe...now twice since the Cubs signed him.

Believe me, the guy is not a tool.

SOXintheBURGH
01-15-2006, 07:33 PM

I don't think he's a tool either. I just happen to think he is a gascan, which can be used as a tool.

DMarte708
01-15-2006, 08:30 PM
He said his team has 4 #1 starters, and said the Sox don't. I don't think the Cubs have 4 #1 starters, and apparently neither does anyone on this board. I don't think the White Sox have 4 #1 starters either, and that's not talking them down. He said the Sox pitched great last year, but thought guys had career years. There is nothing wrong with what he said. I don't agree with his assessment of the respected pitching staffs, although I hope KW does some more work on the bullpen, but he hardly can be blamed for being optimistic about the team he plays for.

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

It's simple--HE SHOULD CONCERN HIMSELF WITH HIS OWN TEAM. Is this difficult to understand? Did you read the quotes? He gives our team a slight compliment, than says we had career years. It doesn't matter whether or not it's true, he should worry about his own pitching staff.

If believing his staff is better (ie, "takes the cake") than ours is being optimistic for the team he plays for, then I don't want a player like that on our team. I've never heard a team compare themselves to a championship club of the previous year by suggesting their players are better. Never.

I mean really, some of you amaze me. If someone said "White Sox got lucky" in the papers you would make an excuse out of it and reason, "well, we DID get lucky...."

soxinem1
01-15-2006, 09:11 PM

It's simple--HE SHOULD CONCERN HIMSELF WITH HIS OWN TEAM. Is this difficult to understand? Did you read the quotes? He gives our team a slight compliment, than says we had career years. It doesn't matter whether or not it's true, he should worry about his own pitching staff.

If believing his staff is better (ie, "takes the cake") than ours is being optimistic for the team he plays for, then I don't want a player like that on our team. I've never heard a team compare themselves to a championship club of the previous year by suggesting their players are better. Never.

I mean really, some of you amaze me. If someone said "White Sox got lucky" in the papers you would make an excuse out of it and reason, "well, we DID get lucky...."

Right on. Like I said earlier, he should be more concerned with helping his own team. In fact, the whole dadgum cub organization should be more concerned with the possibility of three, maybe four teams being better than them in their own division this year.

And as far as luck is concerned, luck is winning the lottery. Luck in sports consists of a gift being given to you. If you take advantage of the gift, you are winners. I you make mistakes and the other team takes advantage, it's not luck, its successful execution.

In Howry's case, since he is so preoccupied with the White Sox and their staff, maybe he thinks deep down inside he should be the 12th man in the pen and he's mad he was not approached by the team to bring him back.

I'm glad he's got so much to say. When Thome takes him deep this year, flicks his back in the air and stairs him down while he takes a 90 second trot around the bases, we'll see what he has to say about luck then.....

doublem23
01-15-2006, 09:18 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_133982.jpg = http://www.kastar.com/product_pages/images/Kastar_Crescent-Wrench.jpg

Dick Allen
01-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Believe me, the guy is not a tool.Then he should stop acting like one.

Dub25
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
We all look forward to seeing the Sox wail on Howry come June. I'd love to be a part of that. :thumbsup:

Actually they can start wailing away in May. Sounds like Bobby boy is a little jealous.

santo=dorf
01-15-2006, 11:46 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7451/capthta17310270441worldseriesh.jpg

Dear Bobby,

I don't see your owner, GM, or manager in the above picture. In fact, I'm looking at that World Series trophy and thinking "man, that's gonna hurt on it's journey to 'where the sun doesn't shine on Bobby Howry.'" As your attorney, I'd advise you to cash your paycheck, get used to the losing, and shut the **** up.

Yours,

1951Campbell

Ok, that photo is just asking to be tampered with.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3814&d=1137390393

RadioheadRocks
01-15-2006, 11:54 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3814&d=1137390393

ROFLMAO :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

TomBradley72
01-16-2006, 12:07 AM

Then he should stop speaking like a tool and acting like a tool. Then no one will think he is a tool.

NSSoxFan
01-16-2006, 12:55 AM

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. :D:

UMSox
01-16-2006, 01:16 AM
The Bears D talks trash all week and they get lit up like, dare I say it...

:gascan :gascan :gascan

What's the Original :gascan (tm) gonna look like come June with this amount of lead time? :D:

Hangar18
01-16-2006, 08:07 AM
For an organization whose fans "don't give any thought to the Sox" they sure spend a lot of time talking about us. Kinda pathetic actually.

I was told that the CHICAGO WHITE SOX were the main topic all weekend at their convention. I guess theyre becoming Soxcessed over there ..........

dickallen15
01-16-2006, 08:08 AM

Actually I read the quotes, you are the one in need of a comprehension exercise. He was asked to compare the Cubs staff with the White Sox staff. For him to answer that he will have to mention the White Sox staff, which he did, and which he complemented, saying they pitched great, and saying he was happy for them that they won. You never heard of a team comparing itself to a championship team saying its players are better? Did you miss the White Sox telling the world for 3 or 4 years how much better they were than the AL Central champion Twins, without even being asked to compare, before realizing they were a lot better off keeping their mouths shut? Teams have compared themselves or are asked to compare themselves to the champions all the time.

TornLabrum
01-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Actually I read the quotes, you are the one in need of a comprehension exercise. He was asked to compare the Cubs staff with the White Sox staff. For him to answer that he will have to mention the White Sox staff, which he did, and which he complemented, saying they pitched great, and saying he was happy for them that they won. You never heard of a team comparing itself to a championship team saying its players are better? Did you miss the White Sox telling the world for 3 or 4 years how much better they were than the AL Central champion Twins, without even being asked to compare, before realizing they were a lot better off keeping their mouths shut? Teams have compared themselves or are asked to compare themselves to the champions all the time.

OR he could have said, "I won't compare our staff to the White Sox, but I think that we have some great starters in Wood, Prior, Zambrano, and Iron Mike."

Flight #24
01-16-2006, 09:17 AM

What exactly is "consistent" about a guy 3 years in, with 1 complete year in the group? Look, Mark Prior's a great pitcher, and isn't (yet) a Kerry Wood, but if you're talking consistency, he ain't got it yet. If you're talking potential with limited historical performance, well - you've got Contreras or even McCarthy in that discussion.

Hitmen77
01-16-2006, 09:23 AM

Did I miss the news that the Cubs have been moved to the AL Central? :?:

And what about that crap he said about "you mean the popular side?". Since he signed with the Cubs, every quote from him is bashing the Sox. News flash: just because you have met someone personally doesn't mean he isn't a jagoff.

DMarte708
01-16-2006, 09:57 AM

First, I meant World Series champion. I'd thought you'd be able to infer "champion" as World Series, not divisonal. My mistake for not clarifying. Doesn't it sound more ridiculous now that you realize I was suggesting no team has alledged they possess a greater (insert) than the previous years WS champion?

Furthermore, I don't know why you're intent on backing Howry when nearly everyone else seemingly knows he's a bitter ex-player. You correctly assert he complimented our staff--then ignore the following (and preceding)statement which exposes his true intentions. Let me break this down, quickly. If you don't understand this, I don't know what else to say.

Embolded are the lines which myself, and others, deem insulting. You, however, ignore ALL of it besides the single sentence where he compliments our team. I didn't need to be there with him to know that sentence doesn't reflect his true opinions of the White Sox.

In your last sentence you seem to suggest it served no good dismissing the Twins of past years. So, I take it you understand this does accomplish nothingt. Even though it was ridiculous of the Whtie Sox to spout off against the Twins, atleast we can see our team faces the Twins 18 times a year. Howry is concerned with a club he'll pitch against, at most, 6 times. He should have spouted the PC line--until his pitching staff remains healthy and accomplishes what we have, they don't compare. Period.

TomBradley72
01-16-2006, 12:12 PM
OR he could have said, "I won't compare our staff to the White Sox, but I think that we have some great starters in Wood, Prior, Zambrano, and Iron Mike."

Exactly...and it's the 3rd time he's done it in the past few months...but you know he has a nice wife, and his financial planner says he's a nice guy, and he gave a child a baseball once...so he's not a tool.